NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

If you have something different speak up. The general consensus has been, "Don't worry about breathing in, stay on chest compressions."

Just look at the responses for CPR over the last two pages (rate, how fast, depth of compressions, etc) and you can see the confusion. 

The American Heart Association, would still like to have you do compressions and ventilations, but for the average lay person, they haven't taken a class, haven't in many years, don't remember the ratio, are worried about making a mistake, doing something wrong, so they land up doing NOTHING. Even hospital and pre-hospital providers sometimes struggle with their recerts if they aren't doing CPR every day. (And , if they are not in the ER or a busy downtown Fire/EMS service, they aren't doing CPR every day).

Compressions, hard and fast, are better than nothing else so that's where the AHA has gone. Bystander CPR, compressions only, until Fire / EMS or Police (yes, they are many times there before FD/EMS) arrival will keep oxygenated blood circulating until CPR can be done by professionals. And they are going to do ventilations via an airway adjunct and BVM until an advance airway is then put in place. If you're the only one there, can remember 30/2 (adult), hard and fast, then do that. Otherwise, continuous, hard compressions at a minimum of 2 inches for an adult and 100-120x a minute until help arrives. 

And for those wondering about the Bee Gees and Staying Alive, that has been around for at least 20 yrs. and it actually helps when doing compressions....The show The Office, did a great episode on it years ago and it seems fitting for the Shag/Surly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

goddamnit, if calling out disrespectful imbeciles, who lack even a modicum of understanding of medicine, physiology, or, shit, even just science in general, for trumpeting this asinine bullshit, for which there is no goddamn evidence whatsoever, then neg the shit out of me. This isn’t an attack in anyone’s belief about policy or political philosophy - it is simply calling out what is objectively, fundamentally wrong.

I'm not disagreeing with any of this, but you start pointing out bullshit and pretty soon somebody's feels are going to get hurt. 

Maybe now would be a good time to just forgive Bayless and the other guy that made the stupid tweets. They were just that, uninformed, spur of the moment thoughts (like an overwhelming majority of social media).

So let it go. Focus on doing what good you can today, contribute to Damar's foundation if you are so inclined and able. Let those close to you know you love them. Any of us could find ourselves or our loved ones waking up in the hospital tomorrow, don't wait for it to actually happen to start living a better life.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Yes, I faked that Tweet from Skippy. His fake crying on his show today is literally unwatchable and I love the scorn he is getting because Bayless is a major douche.

That said, I think the backlash he has received for his insensitive Tweet is pretty ridiculous. I think he just stated it poorly, which is hardly surprising, as he is an idiot. If he had reversed the order of his thoughts, it may not have turned into such a big deal. But is it worth death threats?

People today are so crazy.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sharpe doesn't show up even when he shows up.
He and Bayless are made for each other. 
Both are clowns but they do exactly what Fox wants them to. Create controversy. Skip was was the second biggest story last night. This makes people want to tune in to see that he has to say about this tweet. Now more fake controversy created by Sharpe not showing up. Keeps that controversy going even longer. All for show.

Sometime today they should start trying to wean him off of sedation. If they can start doing that and he doesn’t start having seizures it will be very encouraging. If he starts seizing that is indicative of serious injury to the brain. At that point they will do a cerebral blood flow scan to evaluate perfusion or what is most likely a lack of perfusion….

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Yes, I faked that Tweet from Skippy. His fake crying on his show today is literally unwatchable and I love the scorn he is getting because Bayless is a major douche.

That said, I think the backlash he has received for his insensitive Tweet is pretty ridiculous. I think he just stated it poorly, which is hardly surprising, as he is an idiot. If he had reversed the order of his thoughts, it may not have turned into such a big deal. But is it worth death threats?

People today are so crazy.   

Yeah, in re-reading Skip's initial tweet, I didn't think it was nearly as bad as I first thought. I almost thought he'd edited it to include the "seems irrelevant now" fragment. Let's be honest -- he's put far worse takes than that out there but Skip is a shithead so I'm kind of OK with any scorn that comes his way at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Herbie Hancock said:

Sometime today they should start trying to wean him off of sedation. If they can start doing that and he doesn’t start having seizures it will be very encouraging. If he starts seizing that is indicative of serious injury to the brain. At that point they will do a cerebral blood flow scan to evaluate perfusion or what is most likely a lack of perfusion….

Yeah, I guess they have him alive at this point. Now you try and evaluate if they got to him and CPR/AED brought him back quickly enough to avoid permanent brain damage. Is that about right?

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate Skip (and Cowherd) to no end, but I don’t understand the level of outrage about that tweet. It’s possible to be concerned about a player’s health and simultaneously ponder the ramifications of a postponement or cancellation on the NFL playoffs, especially since sports reporting is his profession. Should he have known better than asking it on Twitter while the dude is still on the turf? Probably. But he did include a comment about the immediate well being of Hamlin being a priority in that same tweet

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

lolassclown:

I don’t expect much more from Skip. Watched for five minutes of him reading people’s tweets directed at him. Skip is a narcissist with other personality defects…being an asshole being chief among them. He’s concluding with a woe is me pity party over his tone deaf tweets last night. This is how narcissists behave. He thinks he struck the right tone with his tweets last nite and thinks he hit a grand slam today on tv (while likely being pissed he has to spend the vast majority of the show on it.)

if you have a narcissist in your life: you just saw one conduct a whole show. Sympathy and empathy are foreign concepts…everything revolves back around him. 

Colin can be an asshat but he started his show in a way that is about first responders etc…and honoring them. He then went on to say we don’t need 17 regular season games. Player protection is chief concern and should be the largest concern. Talked about Hamlin’s charity drive and how awesome. Praised his former ESPN colleagues. Said when the incident happened last night he completely got off social media and was sickened by what he had read. Said he wasn’t going to tweet or comment last night because he didn’t have anything helpful to add to the noise. Ended first segment by saying it was a somber day and all pulling for Damar and concluded with asking people to pray. Perfect opener. Skip could never pull that off.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Wonder how the nfl is going to handle the game now, just call it a forfeit , a tie ? Can’t imagine how they could reschedule it .

They will reschedule. Too much on the line from an NFL perspective. 

"We care, but not enough to allow it to hurt our profit"

-NFL

Yeah, I guess they have him alive at this point. Now you try and evaluate if they got to him and CPR/AED brought him back quickly enough to avoid permanent brain damage. Is that about right?

From watching the video I can tell you they didn’t recognize he was in cardiac arrest quickly enough. I’m not sure what in the hell they were thinking, but there was a multitude of people, paramedics included, surrounding him that all missed it and I am absolutely baffled how. If they had recognized it as soon as they should have he most likely would have been awake and talking by the time they left the field. Early defibrillation and early, quality compressions are the difference in a positive or negative outcome. The heart will only fibrillate for a few minutes until the rhythm deteriorates into asystole. Key is converting VFib into an organized rhythm before it can deteriorate into asystole.
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

They will reschedule. Too much on the line from an NFL perspective. 

"We care, but not enough to allow it to hurt our profit"

-NFL

They should get 10 average fans from each team and let them play it out on Madden 22.  Average all the scores for the winner.  

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

From watching the video I can tell you they didn’t recognize he was in cardiac arrest quickly enough. I’m not sure what in the hell they were thinking, but there was a multitude of people, paramedics included, surrounding him that all missed it and I am absolutely baffled how. If they had recognized it as soon as they should have he most likely would have been awake and talking by the time they left the field. Early defibrillation and early, quality compressions are the difference in a positive or negative outcome. The heart will only fibrillate for a few minutes until the rhythm deteriorates into asystole. Key is converting VFib into an organized rhythm before it can deteriorate into asystole.

If the reports about using AED on the field are true, doesn’t that indicate he was still in a shockable rhythm and hadn’t progressed to asystole yet?

38 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

You betcha.

They say optimal is actually now 2.4 inches but nobody is going to have a tape measure with them. Just go with 2 ( and some crunching of cartilage) and you'll be good.

That makes a bunch of Surly feel better. 

4 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I think Bayless ran into the situation where a known asshole does not get the benefit of the doubt when he doesn’t act with the utmost decorum in this kind of circumstance. Anything less than thoughts and prayers from the likes of Bayless is going to be treated with extreme prejudice in the court of public opinion. He’s earned it. 

Bingo. If Bayless wasn’t such a renowned muck raking, contrarian shit heel, people would pause and think “man, he doesn’t really mean that the way I think he means it, does he?” Bayless has made a living off of being an insensitive, hot take guy who “just calls it like it is,” so his room for error is zero. Him sprinting to Twitter to dish out a poorly worded hot take is Scorpion and the Frog level self-destruction and I’m all for it. 

He’s been in the business long enough to read the room. He didn’t because he doesn’t. He just flings shit on the wall and people are beyond done tolerating it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I hate Skip (and Cowherd) to no end, but I don’t understand the level of outrage about that tweet. It’s possible to be concerned about a player’s health and simultaneously ponder the ramifications of a postponement or cancellation on the NFL playoffs, especially since sports reporting is his profession. Should he have known better than asking it on Twitter while the dude is still on the turf? Probably. But he did include a comment about the immediate well being of Hamlin being a priority in that same tweet

If it were anybody else, maybe. But he has shown time and time again to be human garbage. No benefits of any doubt for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

If the reports about using AED on the field are true, doesn’t that indicate he was still in a shockable rhythm and hadn’t progressed to asystole yet?

Not to be pedantic, but in my world there is a very big difference between an AED and a cardiac monitor (probably Lifepak15 here).  They will both deliver a shock but that is all an AED will do, while the LP15 will do many many more things.  Either wa, yes, if they shocked him his heart was still in a shockable rhythm (VF or pulseless VT). That said, shocking someone 30 seconds into an episode of VF/VT is infinitely better for them and a positive outcome than shocking 3-4-5 minutes into it like it appears they did last night.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Did you see the Pronger event that was posted last night? I don't remember what exactly happened to Rich Peverly but they had to zap his ass back to life. It was a lot like last night. One minute the crowd is roaring and it's game on full blast. The next second it's man down and you can hear a pin drop. I wondered about the response time in those events. 

9 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

The recommendation for chest compressions is between 100-120 compressions per minute, so any song that is between 100-120 beats per minute will work. Staying Alive is 104 BPM, so it works perfectly, the beat is easily identified and easy to sing.... And no one would mind if you sing a song called Staying Alive.

Another One Bites the Dust also works perfectly, but, for obvious reasons, it is not recommended to sing that out loud if you're trying to save someone's life.

So Ride the Lightning is right out?

10 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

The recommendation for chest compressions is between 100-120 compressions per minute, so any song that is between 100-120 beats per minute will work.

So that medic last night did 9K+ compressions on him before they loaded him in the ambulance... WOW...