NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

28 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

If he is now sedated and there is questionable brain anoxia then it would appear that CPR was late or insufficient.

And what I want to say here is it's not the medics' faults. We can woulda/coulda/shoulda their actions to death, but this is an insanely rare injury that demands a near immediate response... and lots of luck.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

people hate them and tune in to get angry at what they say. The latter group then tell "How does this dickhead keep his job?" Well, you just validated why, by clicking the link, posting comments and responses, etc.

Which is why I muted him and will mute anyone in my timeline that quotes his stuff. Same with Bohls. Same with Rome. Same with Cowherd, though that was just because he was a mocking, incredulous bitch about Texas while I was driving from the Dayton airport to Columbus on 9/9/2005. I don’t know enough about his schtick to know if that’s a pattern. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is presumably a good thing right? Alive for a full day after? 

yes. you start planning extubation from 40%, if he isn't going apneic when the ventilator isn't breathing for him. I still don't know how anyone is speaking to anoxic brain injury or whatever, based on what is known. someone coding and still being intubated a day later doesn't say much about his prognosis either way.  you can assess his neurological status with him being intubated. nobody has said anything about that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

They just change it for the fuck of it, not in response to anything?

Think of oxygen as a drug. Too much of it over a period of time can have negative effects. If they are able to reduce the amount of oxygen and still keep his O2 sats up then you do it to reduce the possibility of negative effects.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Think of oxygen as a drug. Too much of it over a period of time can have negative effects. If they are able to reduce the amount of oxygen and still keep his O2 sats up then you do it to reduce the possibility of negative effects.

i get that part. Your response says they are doing it for a reason and his saturation is staying up. Isn’t that at least not a negative?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, runthebone said:

On the radio here, they said someone (again the uncle?) said he went into cardiac arrest a second time at the hospital last night.  Haven't been on the thread today, so maybe that's not new news

He said he had to be resuscitated a second time when he got to the hospital.  and it was his uncle.

Edited by naija
  • Hook 'Em 3

Im just a simple bone doctor but I didn’t read that statement as oxygen concentration but rather how much work the ventilator was doing for him (breaths per minute, peak airway pressure, etc). Assuming he’s not still heavily sedated, his doing much of the work of breathing on his own seems optimistic sign to me

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

i get that part. Your response says they are doing it for a reason and his saturation is staying up. Isn’t that at least not a negative?

It’s not a bad thing, but it’s not really a positive. All it means is his lungs weren’t damaged by lack of perfusion and are exchanging oxygen effectively. When they begin to wean him off of sedation and his body is or is not able to regulate the breathing is when we will know the extent of his injury.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s not a bad thing, but it’s not really a positive. All it means is his lungs weren’t damaged by lack of perfusion and are exchanging oxygen effectively. When they begin to wean him off of sedation and his body is or is not able to regulate the breathing is when we will know the extent of his injury.

I didn’t go to medical school, but a necessary but not sufficient status still seems like a positive. 

59 minutes ago, Hozz said:

ESPN is shamelessly milking this for eye balls in a way that is surprising even for them.  I set the Under Armor game to record and went to watch it just now and they bumped it for Damar Hamlin coverage.

ESPN brass are high fiving each other.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I didn’t go to medical school, but a necessary but not sufficient status still seems like a positive. 

That looks different in writing than I meant it to. I don’t mean to be dismissive of someone with expertise, so my bad if it came across that way. 

My daughter’s 20-something BF is going through a heart transplant and just as they were about to let them come home a few weeks back, he had some kind of reaction to something and ended up having a stroke, so we’re kind of in the market for picking positives out of crap situations at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

ESPN is shamelessly milking this for eye balls in a way that is surprising even for them.  I set the Under Armor game to record and went to watch it just now and they bumped it for Damar Hamlin coverage.

Orlovsky said a 2 minute prayer on there earlier. Give updates when they’re available but nobody needs that. 

Well I meant that he's still alive and they are reducing oxygen 

ICU nurses usually have a generic order to wean oxygen for O2 saturations greater than 92-95. It’s doesn’t really mean much unless you know a lot of other variables. 100% oxygen can lead to oxygen toxicity. Unless you know what his hemoglobin level, O2 saturation, Arterial blood gas analysis, and what vent settings he is on, this doesn’t tell me much.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

That looks different in writing than I meant it to. I don’t mean to be dismissive of someone with expertise, so my bad if it came across that way. 

My daughter’s 20-something BF is going through a heart transplant and just as they were about to let them come home a few weeks back, he had some kind of reaction to something and ended up having a stroke, so we’re kind of in the market for picking positives out of crap situations at the moment. 

No need to apologize. 1) I don’t have feelings, 2) I understand what you’re saying, and if I didn’t have the understanding of this kind of situation that I do I would most likely share your viewpoint.  I just have a different view of things given what I do for a living. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

No need to apologize. 1) I don’t have feelings, 2) I understand what you’re saying, and if I didn’t have the understanding of this kind of situation that I do I would most likely share your viewpoint.  I just have a different view of things given what I do for a living. 

Well, fuck you then. 🤘

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

This thread jumps to more conclusions than the initial 10 pages of the Chris Beard thread.

jesus guys, 99% of the time, a weaning of oxygen down from 100% to 50%, especially rather quickly after initial “insult” is a good thing. And this is coming from a guy who intubates and manages vents for a living. 

but then again, we dont know all the context, like how many houses have more than two tv sets, etc

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Hook 'Em 5

This thread jumps to more conclusions than the initial 10 pages of the Chris Beard thread.

jesus guys, 99% of the time, a weaning of oxygen down from 100% to 50%, especially rather quickly after initial “insult” is a good thing. And this is coming from a guy who intubates and manages vents for a living. 

but then again, we dont know all the context, like how many houses have more than two tv sets, etc

Ballgame!
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Deej said:

ESPN brass are high fiving each other.

Yeah I’m tired of the “the game doesn’t matter, only the person does” as if the only way to discuss this is by using the disclaimer. No shit the person matters and we all know that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Yeah I’m tired of the “the game doesn’t matter, only the person does” as if the only way to discuss this is by using the disclaimer. No shit the person matters and we all know that. 

The game mattered so little that they kept trying to squeeze as many commercials in as possible last night. 

• Rage+1 2