NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

I’m on my phone and it isn’t always easy to post links in Tapa…so thanks to those other posters that posted the links.

And Brisket is ALWAYS doom and gloom…unless you are talking about certain lead singers of female bands or any Texas specific food (menudo, Allsups burritos, etc).

Tough…but fair.

Also, I’m a bit stung on this kind of issue, as I had a dear old friend die last week after she had a stroke, then the docs said she was coming out of and all signs were that she suffered no major neurological damage, then the next day I get a call telling me she’s gone. Two days later, Hamlin collapses, and brings a pretty raw feeling right back up. So, pessimism born of very fresh and awful experience.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Tough…but fair.

Also, I’m a bit stung on this kind of issue, as I had a dear old friend die last week after she had a stroke, then the docs said she was coming out of and all signs were that she suffered no major neurological damage, then the next day I get a call telling me she’s gone. Two days later, Hamlin collapses, and brings a pretty raw feeling right back up. So, pessimism born of very fresh and awful experience.

I agree with this. Not that this will happen to Hamlin but I have dealt with the same thing. We thought they were out the clear because of everything they have been saying so far with Hamlin. Nothing but positive news. And then bam, they were gone. 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Tough…but fair.

Exactly what happened to my grandfather. Had a stroke, docs said no major damage, they were talking about sending him home, he was up and walking around and flirting with the nurses, then boom...dead that night. 

You guys are referencing instances that involved someone most likely 2,3, or even 4x his age and most likely with multiple other underlying medical conditions (both diagnosed and undiagnosed). This is guy that by all accounts had zero pre-existing medical conditions and most likely suffered en event that has to happen inside of a 20 millisecond window. These are not comparable to your situations in any way.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered but who pays for all of Hamlin’s medical bills?  

Is this covered by the NFL, the Bills’ franchise, the NFLPA or Hamlin’s personal health insurance?  

It makes no difference to me nor should it.   I’m just curious about the procedure and protocol of how that works out.  I have no idea.  

Surly smart guys will certainly know and, at least, offer unfounded answers and commentary.  

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered but who pays for all of Hamlin’s medical bills?  

Is this covered by the NFL, the Bills’ franchise, the NFLPA or Hamlin’s personal health insurance?  

It makes no difference to me nor should it.   I’m just curious about the procedure and protocol of how that works out.  I have no idea.  

Surly smart guys will certainly know and, at least, offer unfounded answers and commentary.  

I would assume it is covered under workers comp. If it is not, then the players need to fire everyone in the NFLPA front office, then drag them out back and beat them with a water hose.
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, deadshank said:

They have insurance through the NFL.  Also, they get 5 years of insurance after retirement if they are fully vested (3 years in the league).

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

They have insurance through the NFL.  Also, they get 5 years of insurance after retirement if they are fully vested (3 years in the league).

This is only his 2nd year in the league iirc.  Something I'd like to see the Bills/NFL do, is either sign him to a 10 yr/10mm contract fully guaranteed once he wakes up and is fully cognizant of the situation (they can cut him for the roster spot, just owe him $10mm over a period of 10 years, but if they held onto him for 2 years he'd have a modest NFL pension), or every team in the NFL, as well as the NFL itself, donate $1mm to his charity, whereby he can run an efficient charity for the rest of his life, pay himself a salary well above average American worker, but maintain the goals and functionality of the charity without breaking it financially because of the cash cushion.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

This is only his 2nd year in the league iirc.  Something I'd like to see the Bills/NFL do, is either sign him to a 10 yr/10mm contract fully guaranteed once he wakes up and is fully cognizant of the situation (they can cut him for the roster spot, just owe him $10mm over a period of 10 years, but if they held onto him for 2 years he'd have a modest NFL pension), or every team in the NFL, as well as the NFL itself, donate $1mm to his charity, whereby he can run an efficient charity for the rest of his life, pay himself a salary well above average American worker, but maintain the goals and functionality of the charity without breaking it financially because of the cash cushion.  

No reason, he was employed at the time and it was an on the job injury.  Doesnt matter if it was game 1 of his rookie season or game 17 of his 12th season. 

10 minutes ago, markstanco said:

No reason, he was employed at the time and it was an on the job injury.  Doesnt matter if it was game 1 of his rookie season or game 17 of his 12th season. 

Mine was a "going forward" point.  Rookies only have a 4 or 5 year contract if they make the team.  Hamlin has a 4yr/3.6mm contract.  My point was, I'd like to see some sort of "good faith" offering that could help set the kid up for life (even though he seems to be an incredible young man that will do just fine for himself whether he's playing football or not) contractually, not just a handshake.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Mine was a "going forward" point.  Rookies only have a 4 or 5 year contract if they make the team.  Hamlin has a 4yr/3.6mm contract.  My point was, I'd like to see some sort of "good faith" offering that could help set the kid up for life (even though he seems to be an incredible young man that will do just fine for himself whether he's playing football or not) contractually, not just a handshake.  

Well, I doubt there is a single person on this planet that wouldnt like that. 

42 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If he’s awake and conversational, does he still need to be intubated?

You don't always need to wean someone from a vent, but he has been on it long enough that even if he doesn't have lung issues (and that part is unclear), you'd want to get some parameters first before extubating. Basically look to see he can take slow, deep enough breaths that provide him with enough oxygen with vent support absent or minimized.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m ready to jump to the conclusion, based on his asking who won the game, that there is zero or only a slight mental deficit from the trauma. 

seem reasonable?

It means he's not a vegetable, as certain idiots on this thread might have suggested...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Did we win?"

Skip Bayless: "Nobody won. The playoff schedule and peoples' fantasy football teams are in complete chaos because of you."

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Goodell:  “see, even the injured player expected us to finish the game!”

I can't believe they aren't concerned about the degenerate parlay gamblers who had active bets with action on the MNF game; to say nothing about the fantasy league playoffs
(rolling eyes - sarcastically) 

🙄

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Tough…but fair.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I agree with this. Not that this will happen to Hamlin but I have dealt with the same thing. We thought they were out the clear because of everything they have been saying so far with Hamlin. Nothing but positive news. And then bam, they were gone. 

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Exactly what happened to my grandfather. Had a stroke, docs said no major damage, they were talking about sending him home, he was up and walking around and flirting with the nurses, then boom...dead that night. 

I think @Herbie Hancocksaid it perfectly but he's a world-class, 24-year-old athlete and the two docs today basically said that has absolutely helped Hamlin get to the point where he is today in his recovery.

44 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

FYI, Bills going to run a train on the playoffs and get their first SB now.

I know I'm pulling for them against every other team other than the Cowboys. (Maybe even against the Cowboys.)

• Hook 'Em 2