NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

Just going to say glad he is recovering, but also love seeing both teams and coaches talking about how good the coordination was between the teams. Seems like the Bengals are a class organization. 

Both coaches went out of their way to praise the first responders, nurses, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Someone unqualified to make that comment taking shots from the cheap seats at me for comments I made and stand by 4 days ago. The weasel that made that post has zero posts in this thread except that one. Gotta love the peanut gallery

On the other hand, you are not aware of any of the details/events of the first responders, and thus were in no position to make any kind of intelligent judgment whatsoever.

Thus, you gonna get sniped.

Look, I'm an expert in my field, someone with a rare combination of talent and knowledge to the point where I just am that much better than all but a handful of people. And part of that expertise means knowing when I don't know diddly-shit. You don't barge into a situation with your expertise, if you have any, when you don't have all the facts. Right?

• Hook 'Em 6

On the other hand, you are not aware of any of the details/events of the first responders, and thus were in no position to make any kind of intelligent judgment whatsoever.
Look, I'm an expert in my field, someone with a rare combination of talent and knowledge to the point where I just am that much better than all but a handful of people. And part of that expertise means knowing when I don't know diddly-shit. You don't barge into a situation with your expertise, if you have any, when you don't have all the facts. Right?
Look, I don’t know if you read my first posts on this but I don’t give enough of a shit to argue with someone I don’t know about what I am or am not qualified to comment on. I’m never posting the proof I have that would substantiate what I said as it would get me fired, so go ahead and have your fun because it doesn’t change the facts that I know and that you and everyone else most likely never will. I said what I had to say earlier in this thread, believe it or not I don’t really give a shit. 

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Look, I don’t give enough of a shit to argue with someone I don’t know about what I am or am not qualified to comment on. I’m never posting the proof I have that would substantiate what I said as it would get me fired, so go ahead and have your fun because it doesn’t change the facts that I know and that you and everyone else most likely never will. I said what I had to say earlier in this thread, believe it or not I don’t really give a shit. 

brian cox agamenon lol.gif

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Someone unqualified to make that comment taking shots from the cheap seats at me for comments I made and stand by 4 days ago. The weasel that made that post has zero posts in this thread except that one. Gotta love the peanut gallery

Stick to your guns bro....I saw what you saw....but what do I know, I just worked the streets 25 years

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:
2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Look, I don’t know if you read my first posts on this but I don’t give enough of a shit to argue with someone I don’t know about what I am or am not qualified to comment on. I’m never posting the proof I have that would substantiate what I said as it would get me fired, so go ahead and have your fun because it doesn’t change the facts that I know and that you and everyone else most likely never will. I said what I had to say earlier in this thread, believe it or not I don’t really give a shit. 

Bless your heart.

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Is it that hard to be Mickey Mouse? 

5 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Why not? I mean, if he’s ok and there’s no more chance of it happening again than it would to someone else, why not? Getting through the mental part of it may be different.

The mental part is what I mean. Like barely surviving a horrendous car wreck and going back to weekly car wrecks

16 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

The mental part is what I mean. Like barely surviving a horrendous car wreck and going back to weekly car wrecks

I’ve walked away from more than one totaled sport bike with more than a handful of broken bones and a population of oblivious drivers and didn’t stop riding. Racers of all types have likely had nontrivial wrecks.

If it’s something you love, you go back. If it’s a paycheck, maybe not. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’ve walked away from more than one totaled sport bike with more than a handful of broken bones and a population of oblivious drivers and didn’t stop riding. Racers of all types have likely had nontrivial wrecks.

If it’s something you love, you go back. If it’s a paycheck, maybe not. 

Yeah but you’re not guaranteed a crash every time you ride

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Assuming he doesn’t have some weird congenital anomaly or an area of ectopic pacemaker tissue that would make this something that could recur and assuming he is fine motor and cognition, if you were him would you go back to playing?

That's a lot of "if."

23 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Yeah but you’re not guaranteed a crash every time you ride

A tackle isn't the analog to a crash in racing.  A tackle with a heart-stopping blunt trauma to the right part of the chest at just the right time is the analog to a crash in racing.

(No, I don't know if the odds are identical.  My point is that thousands of football players make multiple tackles every week without this happening.)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/6/2023 at 7:34 PM, Herbie Hancock said:
On 1/6/2023 at 7:19 PM, Rimbo said:

I'm not going to pretend to be privy to the information that you say you are, but here's the publicly available information

Bills medical staff sprinted from the sideline, assessed Hamlin’s condition and instantly called for the enactment of the NFL’s emergency action plan. An airway management physician and other emergency personnel were at Hamlin’s side in less than a minute, according to Knight, a crucially speedy response since when the heart stops beating, the brain no longer receives oxygen and can suffer significant damage in just minutes.

Knight said that Hamlin “initially had a pulse on the field and then lost it under the nose of the physicians and teams that were with him.” As distraught Bills teammates knelt around Hamlin and fought back tears, the second-year safety received “immediate bystander CPR” meant to imitate the pumping of the heart and restore the flow of blood to vital organs.

Medical personnel then successfully shocked Hamlin’s heart back into rhythm using a portable device called an automated external defibrillator. Moments later, Hamlin was taken via stretcher to a waiting ambulance, where Knight says a tube was inserted into his trachea to help him breathe.

Knight and Pritts described the response from the Bills' athletic training staff and independent physicians on site as “really, really outstanding work.” They said other professional sports franchises should study the care that Hamlin received so they’re just as prepared in case of a similar emergency.

“We can’t say enough about the quick actions of the Bills' training staff and the physicians who were on the field with getting to him, recognizing that this was a very serious situation and responding and saving his life,” Pritts said.

“And not just saving his life but his neurological functioning,” Knight interjected. “The reason why we’re talking about his recovery of neurologic function is the true critical importance of immediate and good and high quality CPR and immediate access to defibrillation.”

An hour before kickoff of every NFL game, team medical personnel and independent physicians assigned to the game are required to meet on the field to introduce themselves to each other and to go over in-game player health and safety procedures. They review the location of emergency equipment such as the defibrillator used to resuscitate Hamlin. They also designate which physician will serve as the leader in case of a cardiac arrest during the game.

And here's the audio (although without time stamps, so difficult to say how fast or slow the response was based on this). It makes it seem like they recognized and activated emergency plan rather quickly.

So either the treating physicians are going out of their way to unnecessarily praise the on field response and timely activation of the EAP, even going as far as saying it should be used as a training example or your team went into the debrief of a bad situation specifically looking for something to criticize/blame a potential bad outcome on.

According to Dr. Knight, he initially had a pulse on the field, then lost the pulse during evaluation, received immediate CPR and was defibrillated back into ROSC. That could explain the delay in diagnosis that you saw on video and why there wasn't immediate CPR. Or maybe it's BS . But why would the doctor provide that level of detail if it's BS?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

How is this not going to be problematic in the future? The whole system needs to be revamped to take care of injuries. You shouldn't have to die on the field to establish an exception.

Counterpoints.

1. This was an exceedingly rare event. Possibly unique.

2. The response was adequate and appropriate, ensuring no one died.

Frankly, given how unprecedented this was, and the apparently positive result, this will likely become a model for how to handle this situation in the future.

"Whatever they did? Do that again."

12 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Counterpoints.

1. This was an exceedingly rare event. Possibly unique.

2. The response was adequate and appropriate, ensuring no one died.

Frankly, given how unprecedented this was, and the apparently positive result, this will likely become a model for how to handle this situation in the future.

"Whatever they did? Do that again."

It just feels wrong that they get to sweep the problem under the rug by paying the contract in this situation to avoid the highlight if they had stuck to the contract. It's only going that way because of the attention it drew. Meanwhile dozens of dudes lose their careers on the field, get hauled off on a stretcher, and get the middle finger from their team owners because of the contract. This should have been the start of an important conversation to make changes in this regard, but they agree to pay this one off and everyone just moves on. NFL contracts are bullshit.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

How is this not going to be problematic in the future? The whole system needs to be revamped to take care of injuries. You shouldn't have to die on the field to establish an exception.

I’m sure they worked out a non-precedence setting agreement. You can thank the NFLPA for that kind of dumb shit. That shouldn’t even be a thought if the team wanted to do that.