NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I dont think Hamlin is gonna make it, at least not without severe brain damage. Would love to be wrong. Hopefully he got high quality CPR but survival rate is pretty poor even when medical aid is quick. 

I hope he pulls through 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Yeah I’m tired of the “the game doesn’t matter, only the person does” as if the only way to discuss this is by using the disclaimer. No shit the person matters and we all know that. 

No disrepsect to the Orientals but we call them Jap plays...

• Haha 1

Where have you seen that?

Absolutely nothing of the sort that has been released suggests anything remotely close to that.

I’m not in medicine so I’m just guessing from the information that is available, but this seems like the most likely situation to me.

If his heart was restarted and his brain was working normally it seems like things would probably be different. Since he hasn’t been pronounced dead, I’m assuming they got the heart going again. I saw a tweet that they got some promising brain function signals. That’s the type of thing that i think they would say when someone is a vegetable and they are hoping they come back, which my guess becomes increasingly unlikely the longer they are out.
  • Fuck You 5

2 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I’m not in medicine so I’m just guessing from the information that is available, but this seems like the most likely situation to me.

If his heart was restarted and his brain was working normally it seems like things would probably be different. Since he hasn’t been pronounced dead, I’m assuming they got the heart going again. I saw a tweet that they got some promising brain function signals. That’s the type of thing that i think they would say when someone is a vegetable and they are hoping they come back, which my guess becomes increasingly unlikely the longer they are out.

So you admit you have absolutely zero expertise, are flat out guessing and generally have no idea what you are talking about, yet previously made a declarative statement on the point.  Surly gonna Surly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Several people that have posted in this thread that know what they’re talking about, myself included, have said nothing of the sort and have even gone so far as to explain what is going on now and what will happen over the next few days. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

You don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.

And it’s also the type of thing they would say if someone is sedated.

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So you admit you have absolutely zero expertise, are flat out guessing and generally have no idea what you are talking about, yet previously made a declarative statement on the point.  Surly gonna Surly.

It’s the Surly way. This should be the site motto

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

People need to stop bitching about how long the NFL took to officially suspend the game (phone calls had to be made there was never any real doubt the game wouldn't continue) and focus on this, which comes up every few years. NFL has all the money in the world because of the risks these guys take and they should be completely taken care of for long term healthcare. Pensions, sure, have some minimum time in the league for longterm pension, but if a player plays one down and gets hurt longterm, it should be taken care of for as long as needed and at whatever cost. Of course we can't even get it right for soldiers with literally the entire treasury at our disposal, so I doubt anything will happen. 

• Hook 'Em 6

44 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is fucking glorious:

Lol, this is, for sure, funny.

But it makes me like Skip Bayless a little more for not backing away from his Tweet.

People who demand people pull Tweets down are such idiots. What difference would it make if he pulled it down? 

I got into trouble w an Instagram post (it was glorious, lol) for our business and morons were demanding I pull it down, which sadly, I did. I wanted to do another post that read, "There, I pulled the post down, so now your lives will all be so much better."   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

What was his tweet?

Skip asked something like how you would even begin to resume a game of this regular season magnitude that now is suddenly irrelevant.

The outrage over skips tweet is over the top…but he could probably wait until the ambulance is off of the field until you start asking how do you go from here
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

This is fucking glorious:

Lol.  They got through that bit and said "Let's talk about Lebron James..." laughed, and moved on like the light turned green.  They are both a bit, their "love/hate" for each other is a bit, and everything they say is a bit.  Stop paying attention to them.  I only heard what they were saying because I was listening to 105.3 this morning and they did a "live look" at Shannon's opening monologue.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, naija said:

sorry, but what was the NFLPA doing during the negotiations. That going from $22,000/month to $4,000/month just doesn't sound right. Not for one extra game a year and fractions of percentage points in revenue sharing.

They were making sure their guys wouldn't get suspended/fined/cut for weed any longer.  They gave up the back door to make sure the NFL was going to pay for Applebee's.  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Lol.  They got through that bit and said "Let's talk about Lebron James..." laughed, and moved on like the light turned green.  They are both a bit, their "love/hate" for each other is a bit, and everything they say is a bit.  Stop paying attention to them.  I only heard what they were saying because I was listening to 105.3 this morning and they did a "live look" at Shannon's opening monologue.  

Even knowing it's a bit and just trying to treat it like a paycheck, I have no idea how there's not a string of dead moderators who offed themselves after a month of sitting between those two for however many hours a day. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

People need to stop bitching about how long the NFL took to officially suspend the game (phone calls had to be made there was never any real doubt the game wouldn't continue) and focus on this, which comes up every few years. NFL has all the money in the world because of the risks these guys take and they should be completely taken care of for long term healthcare. Pensions, sure, have some minimum time in the league for longterm pension, but if a player plays one down and gets hurt longterm, it should be taken care of for as long as needed and at whatever cost. Of course we can't even get it right for soldiers with literally the entire treasury at our disposal, so I doubt anything will happen. 

It really should start with guaranteed money like baseball contracts 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It really should start with guaranteed money like baseball contracts 

Make the money owed guaranteed but let teams write-off those payments if a player is not physically able to perform or even cut for performance, you're allowed to not have it count against the salary cap. Knee-jerk thought on my part, have not thought through all the permutations and things that could be effected. It might bring down some of the uber-high $40M+/annual salaries for mid-tier QB's, though.

From the immediate tape at the time of the accident, it looks like we're going to need to make striking with the shoulder illegal, with punishments similar to helmet targeting. Consider limit tackling to between belly-button and pubis. Or just switch to flags.