NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

Lol.  They got through that bit and said "Let's talk about Lebron James..." laughed, and moved on like the light turned green.  They are both a bit, their "love/hate" for each other is a bit, and everything they say is a bit.  Stop paying attention to them.  I only heard what they were saying because I was listening to 105.3 this morning and they did a "live look" at Shannon's opening monologue.  
Bingo. All an act. All these shows are where they literally argue about everything. They script all this. Shannon skipped the show yesterday. That was all planned. Needed to drag it out and keep it going. Then come back and go at Skip. They are making this story about them and their bosses love it. People really think Fox is going to fire Skip? Lulz. They love Skip and his antics.

Like you, I only know about this because everyone kept posting about it all day. Needing to tell us how outraged they are.

• Rage+1 1

They’re weaning him off the ventilator, to see how he breathes on his own, pretty normal after a cardiac arrest event, brain activity can be measured through different tests, severe damage can be seen on a CT, and brain activity measured on an eeg, anything in between its pretty much wake up and assess from there, the person who said earlier that oxygen is a drug is 100 percent correct, they won’t keep him on a vent longer than required because you can absolutely become dependent, someone already has a pretty good idea of what’s going on and they’re keeping it private as they should.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

When I first got into the fire service, my first CPR “save” was a 42 year old guy who had a heart attack on the golf course, down 10 mins no CPR, we got a pulse back, transported and celebrated the save, 2 months later we ran on him at a nursing home, feeding tube, 100 percent dependent on care, the time down really matters

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

A few of the sports programs I watched/listened to mentioned the possibility of lung damage…but they didn’t go into why that might be a concern. I get possible heart and brain damage but sincerely hope that’s not the case or at least anything that keeps him from living the best life he can live (as normal as he was before the event) even if he’s not playing football. 

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

A few of the sports programs I watched/listened to mentioned the possibility of lung damage…but they didn’t go into why that might be a concern. I get possible heart and brain damage but sincerely hope that’s not the case or at least anything that keeps him from living the best life he can live (as normal as he was before the event) even if he’s not playing football. 

Lung damage could be a result of broken rib/punctured lung from CPR

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I am wondering as well. The oxygen dependency could be due to lung damage (possibly pneumothorax) during the hit or from CPR. And I was also hoping he didn’t suffer actual trauma to the aorta or heart walls (myocardium). They’re keeping most everything tight lipped so this is all conjecture.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

People loved being fake outraged and will go on a rampage if they see you have any other thoughts than what they deem acceptable. It's the society we live in now. Everyone was trying to one up each other with the ", look at me, Skip outraged me and I'm going to post about it".

For one, nothing he said was that bad. It's just his reputation. Two, it's fucking Skip Bayless. He's paid very well to garner attention. We are 2 days after this event and him and Sharpe are still the second biggest story. Shannon doesn't get a pass because he participates in this. It's all apart of the circus act. Fake drama and arguing and yelling at each other.

It's the American dream baby. Just look at the US Soccer story. Entitlement and attention.

Instead of assuming Neurologically Intact means everything is back to normal I went and looked it up. So even if NIS (neurologically intact survival) there can still be dysfunction. Also, the scary number was that of 13,063 cardiac arrest patients studied 2307 were NIS. Looks like having a cardiac arrest and being revived and just fine mostly happens only in TV shows and movies.

Abstract

Background— Hospitalized patients with heart failure are at risk for cardiac arrest. The ability to predict who may survive such an event with or without neurological deficit would enhance the information on which patients and providers establish resuscitative preferences.

Methods and Results— We identified 13 063 adult patients with acute heart failure who had cardiac arrest at 457 hospitals participating in the National Registry of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation between January 1, 2000 and December 31, 2007. Neurological status was determined on admission and discharge by cerebral performance category with neurologically intact survival (NIS)=cerebral performance category 1 (no) or 2 (moderate dysfunction) and non-NIS=cerebral performance category 3 (severe dysfunction), 4 (coma), or 5 (brain death). Factors available prearrest (demographics, preexisting conditions, and interventions in-place) were assessed for association with NIS using multivariable logistic regression, initially without then with adjustment for arrest-related variables and hospital characteristics. NIS occurred in 2307 patients (17.7%) and was associated by adjusted odds ratio with 18 prearrest factors; 4 positively and 14 negatively. The association (odds ratio; 95% CI) was strongest for 4 specific variables: acute stroke (0.38; 0.25 to 0.58), history of malignancy (0.49; 0.39 to 0.63), vasopressor use (0.50; 0.43 to 0.59), and assisted or mechanical ventilation (0.53; 0.45 to 0.61).

Conclusions— A number of prearrest factors seem to be associated with NIS, the majority inversely. Consideration of these before cardiac arrest could enhance the resuscitative decision-making process for patients with acute heart failure.

Edited by DanTheHorn

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Not to be snarky towards you specifically but what reports? Yesterday Keysphonelobotomy deduced he was a vegetable and a half hour ago Brisket declared it was all doom and gloom

https://twitter.com/ColeyHarvey/status/1611029329776885767?s=20&t=fqvmsSQ0nNTrrI_JL5_rig

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, tokamak said:

Does "neurologically intact" have a specific medical meaning? Or does it just mean that he's not a vegetable and the rest is TBD.

He ain’t brain dead. He might have some brain damage, but we won’t know more until they wake him all the way up.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Does "neurologically intact" have a specific medical meaning? Or does it just mean that he's not a vegetable and the rest is TBD.

He's still intubated and can't talk, but it means he's got feeling in all extremities, can respond to basic commands, etc

edit: also what lilmac said

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 2

Not to be snarky towards you specifically but what reports? Yesterday Keysphonelobotomy deduced he was a vegetable and a half hour ago Brisket declared it was all doom and gloom

I’m on my phone and it isn’t always easy to post links in Tapa…so thanks to those other posters that posted the links.

And Brisket is ALWAYS doom and gloom…unless you are talking about certain lead singers of female bands or any Texas specific food (menudo, Allsups burritos, etc).
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

So, so happy to hear about Hamlin's improvements today. As with all successful resuscitations. kudos for the quick and effective intervention of all the medical personnel from both teams, Fire & EMS, and in the hospitals. It's still a long shot to survive a cardiac arrest, but not nearly as much of a long shot than even just 15-20 years ago.

Edited by wood

That’s very great news (especially considering what could have been.) encouraging. So many people know this young gentleman in the NFL. I’m glad he’s healing. I understand it will be a long road to recovery. My uncle had several strokes and flatlined and my other uncle had a massive heart attack and flatlined and they are alive and in their homes and living about as normal (or at least as close to where they were before the incidents) of lives as they can. My uncle that had the stroke has far more issues but he’s improving and as close to how he was as he can be right now.

Someone on another program I saw today compared it to someone being struck by lightning and their heart stopping. The professionals got to Hamlin with haste and worked as quickly as they could once they assessed his heart had stopped. Their efforts plus the efforts at Cincy Medical Center are the reasons he is alive. I’m so glad to read this news. I dread looking this up each morning and night because I fear the opposite news. This is so encouraging.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m on my phone and it isn’t always easy to post links in Tapa…so thanks to those other posters that posted the links.

And Brisket is ALWAYS doom and gloom…unless you are talking about certain lead singers of female bands or any Texas specific food (menudo, Allsups burritos, etc).

I had 3 allsups burritos last weekend.  so this hits close to home.

• Like 2

I just edited a post above and "neurologically intact survival" can include moderate dysfunction.

Short term memory loss, cognitive functions like walking and such are in that category and most often the main side effects. Not uncommon for someone to have to learn to walk again or take several seconds to accomplish something menial like telling you “four” when you ask what 2+2 is. They know they know the answer, but it takes them longer than it would you or I to answer it. Luckily in my experience a lot of that resolves over time. Not always 100% resolved, but usually substantial improvement from when they first wake up. Given that he is a professional athlete and in elite physical condition I would think he has a better chance than most.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

L

It was years ago but I’ll never forget when he was earnestly trying to convince the entire board that the LSU goalie was in the top 5% of hottest women on the planet. Can’t even remember her name now she was so average & forgettable.