NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

• blacklab changed the title to NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

Reminds me of Christan Eriksen like a year ago or so...just sudden collapse from cardiac arrest. So unbelievably scary.

The only "good" news, is that the ambulance waited on the mother to get in to ride to the hospital. He was stable with a pulse, just not breathing on his own according to a report

8 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Seeing reports the ambulance is still at the stadium and they are getting his mother from the stands.  Not sure if that is good news or bad news.  Also saw a report he has a pulse but not breathing on his own.

We can only speculate, but that sounds like bad news. If he can't breath on his own shouldn't they be rushing him the hell to the hospital? Almost get the feeling they want to let the mom say goodbye as soon as possible. Hope to hell I'm wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexArcher said:

Or they know they can't save him and they want his mom to get to be with him as he passes?

I can't think of any reason to slow that ambulance down that's good.

Fuck.

agreed. if they have a chance of saving him, i'd imagine they'd rush his ass to a hospital. lollygagging around aint gonna save shit.

Agreed they absolutely shouldn’t keep playing tonight. First and for most in importance is his and his family’s wellbeing and the mental well-being of the other players on that field.

Having said that, from a “the NFL is all about its business” perspective, I would also be extremely interested in hearing the behind the scenes NFL discussions about this. On the one hand, they clearly know the decent thing is to not play. The devil on their other shoulder I’m sure is questioning what they do about these two playoff teams including what’s the logistics if this game is called off tonight. Of course, if this were two teams already out of the playoffs, the game would already have been called off by now.

11 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This. Nobody wants to listen to Suzie and Booger try to fill dead air and talk about what a horrific scene we've all just seen unfold.

Booger's best decision ever in his broadcasting career was choosing not to talk. 

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Or they know they can't save him and they want his mom to get to be with him as he passes?

I can't think of any reason to slow that ambulance down that's good.

Fuck.

This.  Only reason not to be rushing him to the hospital is he’s fine or dead. 

I can’t imagine he’s “fine” if he’s not breathing on his own. 

Hope I’m terribly wrong on this. 

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

We can only speculate, but that sounds like bad news. If he can't breath on his own shouldn't they be rushing him the hell to the hospital? Almost get the feeling they want to let the mom say goodbye as soon as possible. Hope to hell I'm wrong. 

They wouldn’t do that. No frickin way. He would be rushed asap to the hospital. His mom would likely just be pulled to a following car.

And from personal experience, the media is horrible about relaying medical facts. The differential diagnosis for this young man is still wide open so any discussion on the few factiods we have is extremely hypothetical.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Goodbye, NFL. 

Genuinely curious, why would this be the breaking point?  Pretty clear it's a freak occurrence.  On the other hand, we've had plenty of proof for years that former football players (not just those who make it to the NFL) run plenty of risks for severe brain damage and other health issues...no one cares aside from changing some rules, supposedly hiring more independent doctors that the coaches listen to, and getting better helmets.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

agreed. if they have a chance of saving him, i'd imagine they'd rush his ass to a hospital. lollygagging around aint gonna save shit.

They don’t know that on the field or in the ambulance. He is getting coded until a doctor calls it at the hospital. Even if it takes over an hour. Having the family come to the ambulance would be stupid unless he had come arounnd and even then there should be no one riding in that ambulance but paramedics and on field docs.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, mdleast said:

The devil on their other shoulder I’m sure is questioning what they do about these two playoff teams including what’s the logistics if this game is called off tonight. Of course, if this were two teams already out of the playoffs, the game would already have been called off by now.

But they've both already clinched playoff spots.  Declare it a no contest or a 2-2 tie or whatever and figure out your seedings without it being played.

• Hook 'Em 4