NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

1 minute ago, millhouse said:

They really need to cut away from all this. Continuing to talk and speculate is not fair to the players or anyone else involved 

But that is so un-modern American and flies directly in the face of the demand for immediate answers and reaction. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Exactly, not good news

I think a lot of that was probably third hand, I cannot fathom any waiting for a patient who is pulseless or even regained ROSC, the goal of paramedics is always definitive care and that’s a hospital every time. Now a doctor could of assumed care and stalled transport but if so he’s gonna have some questions to answer and a lot of liability.
  • Hook 'Em 7

Just now, Horn80 said:

Sounds like they got the oxygen mask on him quickly so he should that shouldn’t be an issue.

nope, oxygen without blood pumping that oxygen to and through the brain is a bad situation

critical condition doesn't mean he's going to die - and he's young - the plasticity of the brain allows for it to re-wire itself such that a neuron sequence a-b-c can "fix itself" an build a new electrical path fro a to c

this might over time make it possible for his brain to regain the ability breathe on his own

if it's a blood loss damage to the breathing center

• Like 2

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

nope, oxygen without blood pumping that oxygen to and through the brain is a bad situation

critical condition doesn't mean he's going to die - and he's young - the plasticity of the brain allows for it to re-wire itself such that a neuron sequence a-b-c can "fix itself" an build a new electrical path fro a to c

this might over time make it possible for his brain to regain the ability breathe on his own

This hits close to home because I just lost my best friend of 48 years last month from stroke in middle of brain. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

It all depends on the severity of the damage. I run a nonprofit clinic that provides therapy to all ages many with brain damage. We are actually starting a research project in neuroplasticity this year 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Just now, Bodhi said:

Hot takes can fuck off.  This is fairly unprecedented.  Is it possible nobody knew what to do?  Is it possible the league office hadn't even contacted the game officials that quickly?  Is it possible Lauren's hot take was equally about self promotion as it was outrage about the league response?

I think it's more likely the game officials had no idea what to do so did what they would normally do until told otherwise. That the coaches said they weren't ready and were allowed to go to the locker is about what you would expect from the game officials. I'm sure it was never in doubt that the game would be cancelled, just had to make all the calls. It's a conglomerate with bureaucracy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

intubated
stroke or massive loss of blood pressure both or causing damage to the breathing center of the brain

Until more specific info: he experienced sudden cardiac death. Maybe he had an underlying condition or not or maybe he got thumped in a one-in-a-million shot (commotio cordis). The equivalent of a “widow maker” heart attack, and yes, quite literally “dropping dead.” He’d be more than lucky to be alive. After about 4 minutes, yes the oxygen deprivation kicks in in multiple locations including the brain.

This is not something people tend to survive, period. (Not trying to be a Debbie downer, I have to use factual rationalization as a coping mechanism.)
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Though I obviously don't know the specific medical issue, but this almost exact same thing happened in soccer a couple of years ago.  For those that don't watch soccer, a Danish player had a heart attack, received CPR, took a lot of time to get him off the field and out of the stadium, but he's fine now.  Let's hope for the same.

Just now, ATXbronco said:

Damn and Ken Block is dead tonight.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/02/rally-car-driver-ken-block-dead/

Damar Hamlin, the movie actor for Hurt Locker and Ken Block.
Prayers that Damar and Hurt Locker guy make full recoveries.

Lol at referring to a fucking A lister that was in the Avengers movies as "Hurt Locker guy".

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Agreed. Anybody with a hot take on how this was handled can fuck off. There isn’t a playbook for “MAYBE that guy died on the field”.

Well, it seemed the head coaches had to be the ones who told the officials and the NFL to fuck off, so I'm going with the obvious.

It's still shocking to me that it took 30 minutes to get him out of the stadium. 

Surly docs, is that normal? Seems almost negligent to take that long to get him to a hospital 

Honestly I’d imagine logistics/inflow of traffic also had to have a play in this. If the young was in the hands of doctors and being worked on he honestly was in a good place. Getting police to them then the proper exit route being set up had to be an issue imo.

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Chest compressions can help keep oxygen going to the brain. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

It all depends on the severity of the damage. I run a nonprofit clinic that provides therapy to all ages many with brain damage. We are actually starting a research project in neuroplasticity this year 

can you 'write' prescriptions ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

Until more specific info: he experienced sudden cardiac death. Maybe he had an underlying condition or not or maybe he got thumped in a one-in-a-million shot (commotio cordis). The equivalent of a “widow maker” heart attack, and yes, quite literally “dropping dead.” He’d be more than lucky to be alive. After about 4 minutes, yes the oxygen deprivation kicks in in multiple locations including the brain.

This is not something people tend to survive, period. (Not trying to be a Debbie downer, I have to use factual rationalization as a coping mechanism.)

This doesn’t happen to most people with medical personnel onsite.

• Hook 'Em 2