NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's still shocking to me that it took 30 minutes to get him out of the stadium. 

Surly docs, is that normal? Seems almost negligent to take that long to get him to a hospital 

I'm not a doctor but we had a similar situation at work one time.  Guy stood up and he went down.  We started CPR.  Did the AED.  There was a doctor that happened to be in the area.  He just wasn't stable enough to be transported.  Our guy died but he was 60 and a lot of other stuff.  I think the AED to get his heart restarted was no 1 and they have doctor's there on the field

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, it seemed the head coaches had to be the ones who told the officials and the NFL to fuck off, so I'm going with the obvious.

It appears that way and maybe it even was that way. So fucking what. Guys get taken off the field and to hospitals all the time. The normal SOP when that happens isn’t postpone the game. They got it right, maybe it was messy maybe it wasn’t, we don’t know. but so fucking what…they got it right.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Coctostan said:

Chest compressions can help keep oxygen going to the brain. 

yes, but the first word we got was he had a pulse but could not breathe on his own, ,then we get word he is intubated, all points towards damage to the breathing center of the brain - hemorrhagic stroke is bad news because the brain bleed kills a huge section of brain - intubating this fast is bad news

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

It appears that way and maybe it even was that way. So fucking what. Guys get taken off the field and to hospitals all the time. The normal SOP when that happens isn’t postpone the game. They got it right, maybe it was messy maybe it wasn’t, we don’t know. but so fucking what…they got it right.

Username checks out. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This is right, and I’ll say I’m surprised they did given how cavalier they have been with other catastrophic on the field injures.

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Are you people seriously unable to read the last 5 words of Bayless tweet? Save the Karening. There were posters here trying to figure out the logistics of the situation 

Oh, I saw those words. It's not like you can just add a few extra words to a statement like that and make it all OK.

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Are you people seriously unable to read the last 5 words of Bayless tweet? Save the Karening. There were posters here trying to figure out the logistics of the situation 

It is a curious tweet.  I read his tweet the same way: the game is now irrelevant.  

I think Bayless is an ass and his tweet is awkward with people missing the point.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's still shocking to me that it took 30 minutes to get him out of the stadium. 

Surly docs, is that normal? Seems almost negligent to take that long to get him to a hospital 

Sorry.  Stepped away for a sec.  You cannot transport him until he is stable enough to travel.  It could also mean he was stable and everything he needed was in the ambulance until his family could be located and brought to him.  Then you go to the L1 Trauma Center to further treatment.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Though I obviously don't know the specific medical issue, but this almost exact same thing happened in soccer a couple of years ago.  For those that don't watch soccer, a Danish player had a heart attack, received CPR, took a lot of time to get him off the field and out of the stadium, but he's fine now.  Let's hope for the same.

How long did it take for them to realize he wasn't faking?

• Haha 6
  • Drool 1

this is why the danish soccer player lived
he had instantaneous cpr, i think within 30 seconds of going down

European athletes have the “ability” to play with an implanted defibrillator (AICD) so within -seconds- of his heart going out, he was immediately resuscitated. With minimal impact to cardiac and brain blood flow. AICDs aren’t as hip in the US

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and side with the guys who have many decades of NFL experience who say this was an unprecedented event, but sure, you think what you want.  User name checks out.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is feeling like one of Goodell's Top 10 fuckups.  Why is it so hard to do the right thing?  At the very least, it's a safety issue for the other players -- elite athletes playing a violent game with their minds elsewhere is a recipe for additional disaster.  Beyond that, it's an insult to Hamlin and his family.  

Are there no adults in the NFL front office?  Don't answer that.

I’m not sure why there was a delay in postponing it. Probably discussion of a reschedule and exiting the crowd. Calm down. 

43 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Skip Bayless is such a fucking hack and apparently soulless as well

This is totally on brand. He knows precisely what he is doing. Best not to even link his tweets.