the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

biggs votes for biggs.

bishop votes for biggs.

boebert votes for jordan.

the math might get interesting if people start voting "present".  none of that so far.  6 non-mccarthy votes will mean at least one more round.

someone voted for banks? while i was typing.

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

mccarthy is a complete piece of shit and there are a number of reasons i don't want him to be speaker, but the top of the list is that he just wants it so badly.

They brought this up on one of the Sunday shows.  Said that at the end of the day, no one really like McCarthy on either side.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Do the newly-elected reps get to vote on this even though they're not yet officially seated?

Also, the Republicans can elect Jeffries, and then turn around tomorrow and demand a new vote?  Do I have that correct?

- Yes
- Sort of, but it would be difficult to actually pull it off procedurally. The speaker’s gavel has real power. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So they'll just keep voting until the GOP defectors get in line, right?

or they'll continue to vote against mccarthy until he steps down.  that's why there's some heat behind scalise, who many see as the compromise candidate.

it could go on for weeks and the house can literally do nothing else until this is decided.

root for the shitshow, people.  it will be a blue fucking wipeout in 2024.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

or they'll continue to vote against mccarthy until he steps down.  that's why there's some heat behind scalise, who many see as the compromise candidate.

it could go on for weeks and the house can literally do nothing else until this is decided.

root for the shitshow, people.  it will be a blue fucking wipeout in 2024.

There should be a rule, old speaker is in charge until new speaker is selected 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i never would've envisioned a party with zero platform, no real policy positions, and an aimless political directional strategy would have this much trouble uniting behind a speaker candidate.

actually, i need to amend this.  they are the "no" party.  they are the party of obstruction.  it's much easier to do this from the minority, so i understand why there's so much confusion here.

this is right on-brand.

• Hook 'Em 3