the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

How is she involved in this?  Why are they talking to her?  I don't get the angle from either side.

I am an expert lip reader. Starting at the :02 mark: "Down there. That's where I want Red Five. Right there, where I'm pointing." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

McCarthy didn't get enough votes. Jordan didn't get enough votes. Biggs didn't get enough votes. There is only one man who can unite all factions. It's time for George Santos to rendezvous with destiny. 

This fucking timeline, they'd elect Santos to it just to get the rest of their party to stop infighting and to own the Libs.  

Can he Zoom gavel in the Capitol from the library of his Brazilian prison between yard time and lunch?  I know the wi-fi is dicey down there?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Jordan is gaining some traction here on the second ballot.

I suspect this is exactly the narrative he and his merry band of idiots are trying to concoct.  

"I didn't want this (SEE LOOK I NOMINATED MCCARTHY!!!) but it appears that the people want me to be the alternative option"

Edited by Chuckie Finster

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

maybe.

maybe not.

i don't know that those votes are his to whip

Let's see if he gets on board his own train.

I think Jordan has probably choreographed this to keep his own fingerprints off the body.  But I'm not sure.  Regardless, this thing looks like it's going to take a lot more than two ballots.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I suspect this is exactly the narrative he and his merry band of idiots are trying to concoct.  

"I didn't want this (SEE LOOK I NOMINATED MCCARTHY!!!) but it appears that the people want me to be the alternative option"

yeah, but it's so blatantly transparent. shit, i would believe toranaga didn't want the shogunate more than i would believe that jordan doesn't want to be speaker.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

How is she involved in this?  Why are they talking to her?  I don't get the angle from either side.

I don't know what they are saying.  But I can say this, as a 100% gay American, she is incredibly good looking.  If it was anyone else besides that goon talking to her, I'd suspect he's there just to ogle her tits or something, but she's way too old for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Ding ding ding

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Help me out here, why don’t the wing nuts like McCarthy and why do they like Gym Jordan?

Well, apparently no one likes McCarthy. But on top of that, the wing nuts view him as a RINO and too centrist, etc. Jordan, meanwhile is a card carrying member of the lunatic asylum and actually has Wing and Nut tattoo'd on each of his testicles, respectively. Or so he's been telling all the kids molested on his watch while he was a wrestling coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

At the end of the alphabet, do the Democrats have enough of a cushion that they can start abstaining and get Jeffries elected with a majorities of those casting votes?

doubtful. the only way Jeffries gets it is if the kooks go nuclear and just vote present.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

At the end of the alphabet, do the Democrats have enough of a cushion that they can start abstaining and get Jeffries elected with a majorities of those casting votes?

That doesn't work because every abstention takes one away from Jeffries. But they can get McCarthy elected that way. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I was just trying to figure that out but I’m in a meeting. With Massey coming around now there appear to be 18 votes against McCarthy. If that holds, I think you would need a 7 D vote cushion remaining when Jeffries reaches 205 and McCarthy hits 204

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Help me out here, why don’t the wing nuts like McCarthy and why do they like Gym Jordan?

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, apparently no one likes McCarthy. But on top of that, the wing nuts view him as a RINO and too centrist, etc. Jordan, meanwhile is a card carrying member of the lunatic asylum and actually has Wing and Nut tattoo'd on each of his testicles, respectively. Or so he's been telling all the kids molested on his watch while he was a wrestling coach. 

it's more than the fact that no one likes maccarthy, i think. i mean, that's true, but i don't think it's the only thing.

it's that mccarthy has the reek of desperation around him. matt gaetz said it on the fucking house floor, "he's sold shares of himself." fucking ironic coming from such a scumbag, but there it is. the thing is, everyone knows mccarthy wants to be the speaker. he wants it more than anything else. clearly he wants it more than his own integrity. and ultimately, and not without some irony, this is what is biting him in the ass. he was milquetoast af republican miller lite bullshit who would do whatever it took to secure a leadership position. then along comes trump and his merry band of losers and mccarthy is fucking confused. but that doesn't last long, his mental math starts again, and he calculates he needs trump so he starts bending over for the man. he'd give him anything to placate him. he'd give up his integrity itself to prove to trump that he was loyal, even though he wasn't. 

so he sold out to the trump wing of the party. this is why we don't negotiate with terrorists. republicans negotiated with their terrorists. good luck with that. terrorists like to blow everything up when they don't get their way. 

mccarthy hoisted himself on his own blind ambition. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

no.  while mathematically possible, the alphabet doesn't favor this strategy.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Right, but Jeffries won by 9 on the first ballot.

But a minority total can't become a majority solely from their votes becoming abstentions. That would require votes that went to other candidates also becoming abstentions.

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, Huckleberry said:

But a minority total can't become a majority solely from their votes becoming abstentions. 

i believe he was proposing that if 11 people voted present, the total number would go down to 423 which means jeffries would only need 212 which he got.

but no, the math does not favor this.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Really gives some perspective to the wailing and teeth gnashing about D failures that goes on around here.

could be the first time I've pos repped you old man.

36 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

"No, no, for the thousandth time, no. Besides, I"m too old for you. Now please leave before I call the Sargent at Arms."

Just now the Fox correspondent said she got a text from a Republican congresswoman saying that the “Republicans look like idiots to the American people” and she has no idea what is going to happen.

Another FOX correspondent suggests that rather than an endless round of McCarthy doesn’t get in votes - that in the 1840s and 1920s they voted for a recess after it became clear there was no consensus.  Which makes sense 

1 minute ago, pacman said:

Rs hold something like 14 of the last 21 votes. Would need a substantial lead going into Ws.

Smith of Neb just missed the vote?

I don't care how many the Rs have.  How many do the Jordanites have?  If they don't have any that could switch to McCarthy to prevent Jeffries from getting a majority of the votes cast, they're fucked.

algebra aside, a couple of things should now be pointed out:

1. mccarthy has been working on this since november.  they've had 6+ weeks to get this ironed out and are not close.

2. to get as close as he is (not close at all), he had to do some serious horse-trading/give serious concessions.  whomever usurps mccarthy in this process (someone will have to) will not be bound or obligated to satisfy those concessions, and the whole process would quite literally have to start over.

this whole thing is a clown show and i am 100% here for it.  i'm not even returning work emails.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is that a rule? From a procedural standpoint it doesn’t make sense. 

It's a mathematical rule you right-brained ninny heads. 

Let's say Jeffries has 212 out of 434. He can't get a majority by lowering that 212. The 222 doesn't get smaller just because some of the 212 don't vote. 

Unless I'm the ninny head misunderstanding something. 

Edited by Huckleberry

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't care how many the Rs have.  How many do the Jordanites have?  If they don't have any that could switch to McCarthy to prevent Jeffries from getting a majority of the votes cast, they're fucked.

19 in the alphabet "Ts"