the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

I'm thinking this is more akin to the 2 Sentries guarding the two doors.  One Sentry can only lie, the other can only tell the truth.  One door is the Speaker of the House position and untold power.  Other door is retiring in shame in Bakersfield, CA of all places.  McCarthy can ask only one question of one Sentry and is forced to choose a door after hearing the answer.  What does Kevin do?

He blames Joe Biden.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Spartz votes "present."  She had been a McCarthy vote.

Just a reminder this dumb fucking cunt was literally born in Ukraine and supports (supported?) McCarthy, who floated cutting all aid to Ukraine as Speaker. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Chip nominates Byron Donald.

Didnt know much about him. Headed to the internets...

In 1997, Donalds was arrested for marijuana distribution; the charges were dropped as part of a pre-trial diversion program. In 2000, he pleaded guilty to a felony bribery charge as part of a scheme to defraud a bank, which was expunged after he entered the Florida House.

Seems about right

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Serious question -- WTF did the GOP spend all yesterday evening and last night doing?  

The exact same people who voted for Gym have voted for Donalds.

the correct answer - i have no idea.  seriously, i don't think there was much to be done.  like we discussed yesterday, mccarthy has been working on this since november.  he knew what the score was.  maybe the 20 "rebels" talked about some sort of plan to replace mccarthy but he was not involved in those talks.

separately, the wife decided last night that she wanted to watch the pelosi doc on hbo max.  she wasn't following the news of the day, but man was it super fucking relevant.  half of the doc you see nancy through the years, whipping votes, doing the math, saying things like, "never go to the floor until you know you have the votes" and so forth. 

it's a good watch, even if you already know the ending.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Nancy Pelosi, walking to the House floor, chided reporters for asking about whether Democrats would help pave the way for McCarthy: “This is a problem of their own making. This is called leadership. They should be able to work it out. Don’t put this at the Democrats’ doorstep.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Has Fox News started telling its viewers the Democrats are being obstructionists for not helping the Republicans pick their speaker?

No, but they are five minutes away from teasing out a segment as they go to commercial, "Coming up next, is the Venezuelan Dominion voting machine on the House floor compromised?  Is the actual vote tally on Hunter Biden's laptop?  Will he use it to blackmail House Republican leadership not to investigate him later this year?  Stay tuned!"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Nancy Pelosi, walking to the House floor, chided reporters for asking about whether Democrats would help pave the way for McCarthy: “This is a problem of their own making. This is called leadership. They should be able to work it out. Don’t put this at the Democrats’ doorstep.”

She's a stone cold pimp. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Has Fox News started telling its viewers the Democrats are being obstructionists for not helping the Republicans pick their speaker?

when the dems can't get shit done it's because the dems can't get shit done.

when the gop can't get shit done, it's because go fuck yourself fox.

Just now, Queen Bitch said:

This shit ends today if Murdoch called the Boeberts of the bunch and told them to get in line or they’d be banned from the network.

Doubtful. The establishment GOP (of which Murdoch is one) is rapidly losing control of the beast they built. Fox's viewership gets off on these political stunts. The crazier and more lib-owning the better. They dont want to see this shit silenced. And I wouldn't wager on Murdoch choosing principles over profits. He's not wired that way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

This is quite frankly why gerrymandering is so bad for America in general. Whether Dem or Pub doing the line drawing.

The problem is with security comes less and less accountability, and quite honestly a false sense of achievement.  Hell if you win your district of 70% republican voters by 60% you are kicking ass!  And your job is secure. Even if you want to throw bombs like Roy, you are pretty darn safe in your seat.

Instead if districts were made more along obvious geographic boundaries and and not designed specifically to dilute certain pockets of support, we would be a better country.  Because we would get more moderates.  More people willing to look more for similarities than differences.  More people to do what is reasonable, than to take an extreme position for likes on social media. In other words a greater core of individuals on BOTH sides of the aisle who want to get at least something done.

No it's an all or nothing battle in legislation.  The Hastert (child molester) rule where only legislation that can be passed ONLY by the the Republicans and no Democrats.  Dems are not much better, but are a LOT more consistent is trying to reach across the aisle to find consensus.  IF there were more moderates there would be a lot more bipartisanship. And quite frankly get big things done.  The GOP is very, very good at being against things, and safe seats exacerbate this tendency.  

I know this is not as applicable to simply observing the Republican food fight, but I believe that gerrymandered districts allow for more extreme candidates. The kind that will default on the debt, shut the government down, and refuse to do anything if they cannot get their extreme way.  Dems had the same problem in not going with Manchin's deal holding out for.... something that will never happen.  I want to get shit done, that's why I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative.  I can find a moderate position in nearly every food fight...

Yup. All of this starts and ends with gerrymandering.  Right now we are 2 people short of changing it. 

• Like 2