the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

So apparently they’re in talks with Chip Roy, who says he can bring along 10 votes. That would get McCarthy to 211—one short of Jeffries. Add back in the one voting “Present” and they’re tied.

Put it to a plurality vote in the morning, and assume that you can get at least one more who will balk at having a Dem speaker.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think they are in burn it down mode, and would happily support another candidate, even if it meant the Ds win, because they are at the point where they don't give a fuck about the GOP, they give a fuck about the HFC.
None of these 19-20 are running for a nationwide or even statewide election, and all of them will easily get reelected next year.  They think they may not have much to lose at this point, because they will come out saying they weren't sellout RINOs and weren't going to support the leftist agenda that McCarthy and his supporters are pushing.
Some of these people are known to sympathize with Qanon, I would not put anything past them at this point.

Yep. They are only interested in building their crazy brand, and getting exposure. They have no interest in governing, or in anyone but themselves. They are, in a word, evil. That’s what the word exists for.

And the GQP has happily elevated them to being among the most powerful people in the country. I’d call the GQP a giant piece of shit, but at least shit can fertilize the soil. The GQP has no such usefulness.
  • Hook 'Em 3

These idiots have a fundamental weakness.

They are cowards.

McCarthy needs to send Jordan or one of the others in to talk to the 20 dipshits and tell them we are about to have a vote for speaker. It will be the last vote and the new Speaker will be either a Democrat or a Republican. It will be a plurality vote. Split the vote and it's a democrat; stay in line and it's a republican. 

Then walk out with a mic drop. 

They will fall in line because they are cowards. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And the GQP has happily elevated them to being among the most powerful people in the country.

Trump showed them the way. You don't have to have majority of the electorate to win. You don't need a majority of you own party to get elected. 

With such slim margins for the GOP, it only takes a small percentage in the case of these wacko Reps or a third in the case of Trump to drive the GOP to their knees. They must be lock-step and all on the same page to keep their criminal enterprise safe.

These idiots in Congress are true believers as described by so many people here. In the war that the GOPs are waging to seize the republic, the HFC are purist mujahadeen who live for hate and destruction of anyone impure.

I must admit, the trajectory I imagined for this country a year ago has now eluded my abilities to predict. I thought the internecine struggle would be pro-republic versus anti-republic. Now it looks possible that the internecine fight could occure within the smaller entity of the GOP.

Wouldn't that be nice?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Thats the longest I've ever listened to that moron. She is galactically stupid. 

In the real world she is unbelievably stupid but in the MAGA world she is actually smart in that she knows how to do the con.  She says, “ Inflation, guns, the border, send me money and vote for me” and she knows that more than 50% of the moronic voters in her district will vote for her and keep her in power.  

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

In the real world she is unbelievably stupid but in the MAGA world she is actually smart in that she knows how to do the con.  She says, “ Inflation, guns, the border, send me money and vote for me” and she knows that more than 50% of the moronic voters in her district will vote for her and keep her in power.  

nah she's toast. she barely won last november and will probably lose in 2024. 

she'll do a rant about how her election was stolen, get a lawyer or two disbarred on stupid lawsuits, then start an onlyfans channel while she rides a dildo called "Donald's Dick."

she's fucking done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

As much schadenfreude by watching that treasonous asshole Kevin McCarthy have something bad happen to him this whole shitshow just show how impossible it will be to do anything in the House for the next two years. Approving any budget or anything really that won't be some symbolic thing Biden will veto will be this big dramatic thing full of grandstanding douchebags. Hell even the symbolic veto bait might be unpassable.

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

she'll do a rant about how her election was stolen, get a lawyer or two disbarred on stupid lawsuits, then start an onlyfans channel while she rides a dildo called "Donald's Dick."

she's fucking done.

You underestimate the stupidity of the American public but I hope you’re right.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

she's fucking done.

No she isn't. She could certainly lose in 2024 but it is a Presidential Election year and a lot will be determined by how that goes. I don't know what high turnout in her district would mean.

But even if she does lose she has this strong national brand among the sort of people she appeals to. 

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

she's fucking done.

im horny donald glover GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Joining the thread for the first time. I don't understand McCarthy's play here. Why not just cave to the loonies and give them everything they want? It's not like he's some sort of moderate that gives a fuck about policy or anything - literally all he wants in life is to be speaker, everything else be damned.

• Drool 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Joining the thread for the first time. I don't understand McCarthy's play here. Why not just cave to the loonies and give them everything they want? It's not like he's some sort of moderate that gives a fuck about policy or anything - literally all he wants in life is to be speaker, everything else be damned.

I believe he did cave to everything they wanted and then they said fuck that shit what we really want is you not to be speaker.  

• Hook 'Em 3

They don’t actually want anything but attention and television cameras.

Plus, they seem to genuinely hate his weasely empty headed ass.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I believe he did cave to everything they wanted and then they said fuck that shit what we really want is you not to be speaker.  

Yep. He's caved on every possible issue, or committee membership, thought he had a deal, and they fucked him anyway.

They are #NeverKevin and McCarthy's a moron that still thinks he can bribe them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Put it to a plurality vote in the morning, and assume that you can get at least one more who will balk at having a Dem speaker.

They believe they have a lot of power as long as they stick together.  They may even believe they can make the GOP squeal and give in to them, even though McCarthy has already bent over backwards for them.

They don't want McCarthy, and they want choice committees.

It would take Trump coming out publicly and telling them to and down, and even then I'm not sure they'd do it at this point.

52 minutes ago, The Dog said:

she's fucking done.

Lauren Boebert's future election plans:

1) Move to Texas in 2023

2) Win in 2024.

Ifc Hello Darkness My Old Friend GIF

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

It kind of reminds me of Obama trying to negotiate with Boehner.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They believe they have a lot of power as long as they stick together.  They may even believe they can make the GOP squeal and give in to them, even though McCarthy has already bent over backwards for them.

They don't want McCarthy, and they want choice committees.

It would take Trump coming out publicly and telling them to and down, and even then I'm not sure they'd do it at this point.

Trump already did publicly come out for McCarthy I thought.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

As much schadenfreude by watching that treasonous asshole Kevin McCarthy have something bad happen to him this whole shitshow just show how impossible it will be to do anything in the House for the next two years. Approving any budget or anything really that won't be some symbolic thing Biden will veto will be this big dramatic thing full of grandstanding douchebags. Hell even the symbolic veto bait might be unpassable.

Yep, it could literally be the least productive House in memory.

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

These idiots have a fundamental weakness.

They are cowards.

McCarthy needs to send Jordan or one of the others in to talk to the 20 dipshits and tell them we are about to have a vote for speaker. It will be the last vote and the new Speaker will be either a Democrat or a Republican. It will be a plurality vote. Split the vote and it's a democrat; stay in line and it's a republican. 

Then walk out with a mic drop. 

They will fall in line because they are cowards. 

They could easily vote the same as a screw you to McCarthy because the republican majority will just recall Jefferies as soon as possible and start this whole shit show over again. They don't have to give in to McCarthy. They have a reset button. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yep, it could literally be the least productive House in memory.

Democrats need to be working the most reasonable of the republicans about having to work with them to get stuff passed. Its up to them. This could be one of the closest to the middle houses if they play ball. A small third party forcing these two to work together is the best thing for the American people at this point.  

Or they won't and it'll be ground to a halt and the country will dive further into the abyss. Their choice. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

They don’t actually want anything but attention and television cameras.

Plus, they seem to genuinely hate his weasely empty headed ass.

...and we've been pointing this out for years- 

Republicans have a vested interest in NOT solving problems and sustaining conflict that they parlay into attention whoring and donations via Red America's outrage addiction, even if it means going apoplectic in opposing their own policies, or in this case, opposing an election denier who supports everything they do. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1