the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

29 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Lulz

That is legit LOL.  

Missing out on an historic vote because "reasons"  

What was the Seinfeld conversation?  I think it was Elaine trying to get out being stuck talking with George and his date. 

Elaine, "I can't stay.  Remember, I've got that thing?"
George, "Nah, the thing's canceled.  You'll sit.  Eat."

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

Somebody look that up 

Well this is awkward. Gonna be a lot of bare feet on the house floor now that the total is over 10. You know Marge needs her hooves to count 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

So, if I have this correct. Once the vote is tallied. The chairwomen can let someone make a motion. Since there are no rules or a speaker. The only motion can either be adjournment or a vote of the speaker.

Does that sound right?

Believe so. They can't vote on anything else so what other options are left to discuss on the floor?

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This SIM is so god damn fucked.  We are regularly seeing Boebert and MTG get live interview time on MSlibtard and CuckNN?  What is this world coming to?  

I was just thinking that I kind of miss seeing Louie Gohmert interviewed.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, UTGrad98 said:

My first thought is the American public is paying these idiots their salaries to sit there and do this all day. But for me  personally I'll gladly pay my part of $0.15 to watch this shit show a few more days/weeks. 

Interesting question. Do they get paid before being sworn in?

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

IF the GOP switched to a plurality, it would only be because McCarthy had 213 votes.  Or else Jeffries wins with 212.

They won't switch to plurality without the votes, which would negate needed the Dems to get him across the finish line.

Well hell, I figured they wouldn't head to a 2nd.. or 3rd... or 4th vote without having the votes for McCarthy, but here comes loss #10 officially.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

This might come down to someone going to eat or use the restroom without realizing they're happened to be the deciding vote.....

Would be a fitting end to this debacle if there was some GOP-on-GOP chicanery so that the McCarthy crew could blame losing the speakership on Beavis and Boebert ...

lloyd-dumb.gif

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

with 4 Reps out tomorrow if another 6 got locked in the bathroom Jeffries could take the win 212 to 211

Well Gaetz is holding.  And I could easily see the other 5 wanting to leave but Matt's got some conspiracy shit he wants to shout about first.  And he does have really good shit.  So next thing you know it's 3am, you missed all the important shit at the (r)Party.  All the cute girls like AOC went home.  And you're stuck looking like grim death and Gaetz is scrolling through his phone like, "Wait, hang on.  I can get us another teener."  And you just hope he means half an 8-ball, and not the other thing.  

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

But Chip Roy doesn't bring enough votes.  He may or may not bring enough votes even to pull McCarthy even with Jeffries.  And the Democrats aren't going to vote to switch to a plurality unless they're certain Jeffries has more votes than McCarthy.

20 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

This might come down to someone going to eat or use the restroom without realizing there happened to be the deciding vote.....

Plot twist - McCarthy misses the vote bc he’s taking a shit and loses. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

But Chip Roy doesn't bring enough votes.  He may or may not bring enough votes even to pull McCarthy even with Jeffries.  And the Democrats aren't going to vote to switch to a plurality unless they're certain Jeffries has more votes than McCarthy.

correct - they are trying to get enough so they can start isolating some of the hold outs. 

As I see it, there's 5 ways out:

1. McCarthy stands aside willingly
  2. McCarthy makes a deal with the Dems
  3. McCarthy makes a deal with the holdouts
  4. Plurality vote
  5. McCarthy voters get sick of this and move en masse to a backup choice (Scalise?)

Numbers 1 and 2 will never happen, IMO. Not worth talking about.

I believe #3 is possible. Everyone has a price. I don't think McCarthy cares if the institution is in ashes, so long as he can be Speaker of said ashes.

Number 4 is the only way for McCarthy to truly "win", but it's very risky and I don't think he has the balls for it.

Haven't heard much chatter about #5, but it makes the most sense to me as an observer (none of this makes any goddamn sense).

I'd personally handicap them like:

1. 1%
  2. 1%
  3. 60%
  4. 10%
  5. 30%

(I know that's 102%, fuck off, you get my point).

Edited by tokamak
  • Hook 'Em 1

Leopards Eat Kevin McCarthy’s Face

One of the most amazing aspects of the House Republican crackup has been watching Greene’s angry exasperation as her shot at real power is imperiled by attention-seeking hard-liners. “They’re proving to the country that they’re just destructionists,” she said on Sunday. It was the embodiment of the Twitter meme: “‘I never thought leopards would eat MY face,’ sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People’s Faces Party.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/04/opinion/kevin-mccarthy-speaker-race.html

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GenXer said:

10th verse same as the first

Well played.  Lyrically and politically..  

Now we just need one of you savvy photoshop guys to paste McCarthy and Boebert's faces on Reiner and Guest in "Spinal Tap" pointing at the amp "These votes go to 11, it's one more.  For when you need that final push over the edge of Democracy."

"Well yeah, but why don't you just have the vote done at 10 and have 10 be the top number?"

"Yeah, but MAGA goes to 11"

Edited by YGIFS

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

"Chip Roy is going to bring 10 votes THIS MORNING" was the scuttlebutt last night, so forgive me for ignoring the McCarthy-is-negotiating rumors.  It's like Scott Boras talking about all the offers his .212-hitting first baseman client is getting. 

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I wish Biden could dissolve the House and hold new elections bc we are missing 1/6 of our government right now 

Unfortunately this needs to be painful so that the country continues to see the ineptitude and indifference this party has towards legislating. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Unfortunately this needs to be painful so that the country continues to see the ineptitude and indifference this party has towards legislating. 

You’ve got it all wrong. The HFC 20 are trying to save America from the broken system that is the House. It’s like you haven’t been listening. 

Edited by DDD Dad

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well played.  Lyrically and politically..  

Now we just need one of you savvy photoshop guys to paste McCarthy and Boebert's faces on Reiner and Guest in "Spinal Tap" pointing at the amp "These votes go to 11, it's one more.  For when you need that final push over the edge of Democracy."

"Well yeah, but why don't you just have the vote done at 10 and have 10 be the top number?"

"Yeah, but MAGA goes to 11"

I’m disappointed in myself. Seven was teed up for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.df9280c8e057a0535569f09e274fcd89.jpeg

• Like 1