the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not necessarily. 

If the Dems can find 6 GOP partners willing to play ball, they can bypass whatever nimrod is Speaker and put a discharge petition on the floor.  I believe it would have to sit for 30 days before it can be brought to the floor.  Or something like that. 

They *should* be able to find at least 6 GOPers for something like the debt ceiling, because there's 18 Republicans in Biden seats.  Their #1 job is to try and get re-elected in a presidential year with Biden on the ballot, so some of them are going to have to consider playing ball to burnish their bipartisan/moderate credentials in a district that would normally be hostile to them.  Because otherwise, they will be reason #1 we defaulted.  It's easy for someone like Marge to dig in her hooves and say no, fuck this shit, because her district will never vote her out.  

But some of them, like the new NY Reps, some in CA, etc., have to balance the fact that, if they survive their primaries, they have to go explain to voters why they voted for default. 

It's sad that we aren't even sure of there are 6 Rs who aren't among those 18 who would be willing to vote for raising the debt ceiling.   Default scares the shit out of me.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've been slightly surprised that Santos hasn't hitched his wagon to the Gaetz side of this situation. He's not going to get anything from McCarthy or the GOP from falling in line with 200 others voting for McCarthy.

He's going to get seated, which means he's going to get a cushy job for 4 2 years.

Edited by Beau Vine
(Sorry, the 4 key is next to the 2 key on my keyboard.  Yeah, that's it!)

32 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I was speaking specifically about laying the groundwork that a shut down government means people lose their SS, Medicare, and other federal benefits and this TODAY is the reason it will happen. Because if they can't even work this simple issue that has been a 1 vote affair for over a century then what are the odds they come through when Americans need them on stuff as complex as budgets? They have a perfect opportunity to use the republican fear mongering tactics against them and aren't doing it. 

They should be hammering the message any govt issues and loss of money/benefits for Americans going forward is squarely on the republicans and specifically on Gaetz/Boebert's crew. I haven't heard any direct blame and naming of culprits going on. The American people are stupid. You have to spoon feed them info like babies

The American public is far worse--they'll vote against their own interests and then blame Democrats.  This disfunction goes against their (our) interests and is a direct reflection of American racism.  They choose to believe the lies they are told because they want to believe the lies--they actively search for something to cling to that aligns with their beliefs which are at their core, the bleks and mexkins are taking everything.  Doesn't matter that they're giving it up by voting against it.  Fucking idiots.  

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Which is it, Kevin? Do you have a deal or not? 

You have nothing. 

He doesn't have a deal.  They're going to vote again, and it will be 212-201-20-1.  Again.

This is really showing how incredibly inept he would be if he were somehow elected speaker.

I heard Ginni Thomas is chiming in on behalf of the tedious twenty. That'll surely clear the air and get things moving in a positive direction. 
I haven't looked it up though. Whenever I read something she wrote i can smell sulphuric sewage and I don't need that this early. 

You heard right.

0d02f326b4f60562b335b8a1c21494c9.jpg

49 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Because Tits McGee and Ms. 6-Toes were quiet and dignified leading up to the midterms, right?  If they picked up 18 new rep seats in districts that Biden won then why would they tone things down?  It worked so they will take it to 11 now.

Or maybe elections are far more complicated and nuanced than just that. With Biden, you had an extremely unpopular president at a time of high gas prices and generationally high interest rates - coupled with a midterm election.

Just the fact of a midterm election usually results in the loss of a number of seats in both the Senate and the House for the party in power (granted, the GOP Senate candidates included the Trump shit picks).  But that does not change the fact that the Democrats picked up a Senate seat in this perfect storm of bad news for Democrats. What should have been a red tsunami wound up being a narrow house flip and a slight improvement on Senate status quo that will shut down much of the stupidity if a bill makes it out of the house.  I would argue that the GQP idiocy had a large part to do with the limited damage in what should have been a very damaging midterm election, rather than argue that everyone loved the Maga morons so much that those 18 won.  The abortion issue is still out there and will gin up Democratic voter turn out in every state that this is still an issue.…which is a ton of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

If we default on our debt, interest costs will go up so much that there is zero chance of balancing a budget.  

Other countries will default on their debt.  

Worldwide equity markets will tank.  

The economy will be in fucking shambles.  

It will make 1929 look like the salad days.

rEpUbLiCaNs ArE gOoD oN tHe EcOnOmY

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

It's sad that we aren't even sure of there are 6 Rs who aren't among those 18 who would be willing to vote for raising the debt ceiling.   Default scares the shit out of me.

I honestly think that if the House does not vote to raise the debt ceiling, Biden would declare an emergency and instruct the Treasury to continue issuing debt irrespective of the debt ceiling.  Dare the House to impeach him for the grave sin of saving the global economy.

Interest rates would be higher, because there's not exactly a guarantee that the debt would be legally issued.  But as a short-term (i.e., until 2025) solution, it'd probably work.

• Hook 'Em 2

He doesn't have a deal.  They're going to vote again, and it will be 212-201-20-1.  Again.
This is really showing how incredibly inept he would be if he were somehow elected speaker.

I’ll just wait to see what color smoke comes from the South Wing of The Capitol.
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I can't keep up with every page.  What's the Cliff's Notes version of why the Never Kevins won't support McCarthy?  He's been consistently MAGAt over the years.

Well, he's not MAGA enough, or something like that.  I mean, it's the only possible explanation.  

He's just a MINO  (MAGA in name only).

Edited by Francisco 2.0