the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

So they’re going to meet again tonight to try and elect a Speaker and then McCarthy immediately wants the rules package voted on. I’m so sure everyone has had a chance to read his super secret negotiations with the HFC to ensure it’s palatable. 

It’s just another corollary to a standard Republican axiom… I should get 72 hours notice but no one else should get the same courtesy.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So they’re going to meet again tonight to try and elect a Speaker and then McCarthy immediately wants the rules package voted on. I’m so sure everyone has had a chance to read his super secret negotiations with the HFC to ensure it’s palatable. 

There should be mandatory read times for any bills, scaled by page count as maybe some other measure like number of topics incorporated. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Which you know is a big point sticking point the HFC has been talking about is time to read shit....fuckers ain't reading shit 

Yup. 

The 72 hour rule is a way of saying: “You know when you cut a deal with the Senate to keep from defaulting on the debt?  We want an iron clad rule that will allow us to throw the House into disarray to prevent you from banding together with the Democrats to keep the world economy afloat.” 

otherwise, we don’t care. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Yup. 

The 72 hour rule is a way of saying: “You know when you cut a deal with the Senate to keep from defaulting on the debt?  We want an iron clad rule that will allow us to throw the House into disarray to prevent you from banding together with the Democrats to keep the world economy afloat.” 

otherwise, we don’t care. 

Do you think that legislators should read the bills they are asked to vote on?  This is pretty simple imo. There may be circumstances where rapid action is required, but seems that the vast majority of votes could maybe be informed by actually understanding what is in it. The understanding part may be a reach for most legislators, granted. 

Kevin McCarthy could go down as an American hero, and one of the greatest speakers of the house ever. If he had principles.

He could turn this revolt of bomb throwers into an amazing speakership.  He could simply bring the house back to regular order. And allow DEMOCRATIC debate and amendments, as well as those from those that would destroy our country for their own vanity.  He could actually lead, not the Republican party, but the US c House of Representatives!

And he could both provide compromise legislation that had some chance of passing both houses. Simply by doing what the GOP bomb throwers want, allow debate and amendments to all legislation!  Mainly it would produce better legislation because of input.  If he truly adopted a bring all debate and amendments (like the framers intended) house he would gain respect and power.  Not only from his own caucus, but from moderate democrats who are always willing to compromise.  

Instead what will happen is McCarthy will be a feckless and inconsequential leader, of short duration.  He will likely be the steward of a 1500 point market collapse as the reality that the GOP will indeed default on our debt becomes a reality.  Before, as usual, the democrats save the nation with reasonableness. But it is sad to me.  Reminds me of how different the would could be if President Bush was not beholding to the Saudis  (who bought his oil company for a reason other than political gain 😉 and oil and gas industry that funded his ascension.  What an amazing squandered opportunity that was...  McCarthy could actually use the rules against the far right insurrectionist wing of the GOP.  And change the way the Congress does business and gain the support of some democrats because good legislation that could be passed by the Senate as well could become possible.

Instead another opportunity for our country lost...

Edited by horn4life

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Kevin McCarthy could go down as an American hero, and one of the greatest speakers of the house ever. If he had principles.

He could turn this revolt of bomb throwers into an amazing speakership.  He could simply bring the house back to regular order. And allow DEMOCRATIC debate and amendments, as well as those from those that would destroy our country for their own vanity.  He could actually lead, not the Republican party, but the US c House of Representatives!

And he could both provide compromise legislation that had some chance of passing both houses. Simply by doing what the GOP bomb throwers want, allow debate and amendments to all legislation!  This would do two three things. First it would produce better legislation because of input.  If he truly adopted a bring all debate and amendments (like the framers intended) house he would gain respect and power.  Not only from his own caucus, but from moderate democrats who are always willing to compromise. 

Instead what will happen is McCarthy will be a feckless and inconsequential leader, of short duration.  He will likely be the steward of a 1500 point market collapse as the reality that the GOP will indeed default on our debt becomes a reality.  Before, as usual, the democrats save the nation with reasonableness. But it is sad to me.  Reminds me of how different the would could be if President Bush was not beholding to the Saudis  (who bought his oil company for a reason other than political gain 😉 and oil and gas industry that funded his ascension.  What an amazing squandered opportunity that was...  McCarthy could actually use the rules against the far right insurrectionist wing of the GOP.  And change the way the Congress does business and gain the support of some democrats because good legislation that could be passed by the Senate as well could become possible.

Do you know who Kevin McCarthy is?

That's like saying Ted Bundy could have been a fantastic teacher, an amazing teaching, one of the best ever if he just didn't like killing people. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This is where Democrat money should be spent on troll accounts masquerading as MAGA slamming the GOP and calling them traitors and scumbags. Truth Social should already have about 10k of these accounts set up and ready to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Do you think anyone with principles could become GOP leader of the House these days?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

And he could both provide compromise legislation that had some chance of passing both houses. Simply by doing what the GOP bomb throwers want, allow debate and amendments to all legislation!  Mainly it would produce better legislation because of input.  If he truly adopted a bring all debate and amendments (like the framers intended) house he would gain respect and power.  Not only from his own caucus, but from moderate democrats who are always willing to compromise.  

Is that what the GOP Bomb throwers want? I know Justin Amash wants that but he isn't a member of the GOP.

43 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Do you think that legislators should read the bills they are asked to vote on?  This is pretty simple imo. There may be circumstances where rapid action is required, but seems that the vast majority of votes could maybe be informed by actually understanding what is in it. The understanding part may be a reach for most legislators, granted. 

I do. Unequivocally.

But it is not applied evenly, ever. And the GOP has and will violate this rule as it serves them purpose. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

I do. Unequivocally.

What do you think the potential solutions are? Single issue bills, reading periods, etc.  How do we re-engage the deliberative legislative process.  Based on prior posts, I take it that you are not in favor of term limits. What are the right measures in your opinion? 

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What do you think the potential solutions are? Single issue bills, reading periods, etc.  How do we re-engage the deliberative legislative process.  Based on prior posts, I take it that you are not in favor of term limits. What are the right measures in your opinion? 

Dude, I’m drunk as shit on a Friday.  I’ll attack this tomorrow morning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Dude, I’m drunk as shit on a Friday.  I’ll attack this tomorrow morning.

There is certainly no judgment here.  But I understand.  If you want something a little more light hearted you can come over to the basketball forum where people are talking about fingering their bullholes in the shower.  Makes the CR look downright normal.  

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Pro move.

Somewhere I read that normally the speaker sets rather strict rules on where the cameras can look in the House chamber, or maybe its voted on in the rules package. Well we don't have either yet so the cameras are panning around showing members doing weird stuff, like this guy vaping and AOC chatting with Gosar.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

it's amazing how much more erudite and eloquent the democrats are when speaking on the house floor than the stumbly fuck republicans. didn't always used to be that way. 

also, aguilar with a legit shot there. 

[MAGA]It's because the Democrats are educated idiots who are out of touch with hard-workin', blue collar, red blooded American Patriots.[/MAGA]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Kevin McCarthy could go down as an American hero

Ooof.

There was a "Simpsons" scene where the robbers are speeding away from the Kwik-E-Mart, and Apu is standing at the now-empty register.  He calls out to an off-screen Homer:  "You may emerge from behind the chip display now.  The chance to be a hero is long past."

It's more like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1