the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

So what are the chances McCarthy doesn't hold up his end of these bargains he made?  Is there anything the HFC could do if he decides to change his mind on some committee nominees?

Some, or all of the bargains?  Didn't he agree that any member of the house can call for a motion to vacate the speaker's chair?  Very little effort needed to make his life miserable if he doesn't follow through on everything like committee nominees.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

They’re gonna stick it to the libs by presiding over the first debt default in American history. 

I asked Boebert if she even knew what “World’s Reserve Currency” meant.  

she said “It’s when all the tides on Earth change direction.”  

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

I asked Boebert if she even knew what “World’s Reserve Currency” meant.  

she said “It’s when all the tides on Earth change direction.”  

Not that I doubt her response, but did you do this personally?

This is what happens when you make Donald Trump your leader. You just attract ignorant, corrupt, trash people like flies to shit. 

Go back to September 10, 2001 and look at the 21 1/2 years before and the 21 1/2 years since. What trajectory are we all on? What the hell will this look like in 2044? 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Is it possible that MAGA representatives are all being bought by the Russians?

Given their desire to see Ukraine lose, and their defense of Putin's actions, if they aren't bought off by the Russians or compromised in some way, I'd be surprised.  Those idiots don't formulate a thought on a policy unless somebody is steering them one way or the other, and they are benefitting from it.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

This is what happens when you make Donald Trumo your leader. You just attract ignorant, corrupt, trash people like flies to shit. 

Go back to September 10, 2001 and look at the 21 1/2 years before and the 21 1/2 years since. What trajectory are we all on? What the hell will this look like in 2044? 

1981 was when Reagan took office. The revanchist impulses of the Republican party were just taking off. This is a long game.

• Hook 'Em 2

You people need to realize something:  Kevin is from Bakersfield.  That's the College Station of California, but with really good Country Music.  

Kevin listens to Kid Rock instead of Buck and Merle, because that's how certain  people want it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

19 minutes ago, Satchel said:

They’re gonna stick it to the libs by presiding over the first debt default in American history. 

There's enough donations and lobbyists to keep that from happening, but anybody in the HFC who tries to steer things that way and force a debt default or kill off Medicare and Social Security, etc. is probably going to find themselves facing off against extremely well-funded and well-supported candidates in their next primary, as well as being kicked off committees.

There's a shitload of Republicans in the House who are really fucking pissed off at the HFC types for this week's shitshow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's enough donations and lobbyists to keep that from happening, but anybody in the HFC who tries to steer things that way and force a debt default or kill off Medicare and Social Security, etc. is probably going to find themselves facing off against extremely well-funded and well-supported candidates in their next primary, as well as being kicked off committees.

There's a shitload of Republicans in the House who are really fucking pissed off at the HFC types for this week's shitshow.

Dumb question amnesty. Have not been on this tread. You know what I focus on. HFC? Owe you a beer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

So what are the chances McCarthy doesn't hold up his end of these bargains he made?  Is there anything the HFC could do if he decides to change his mind on some committee nominees?

MTG puts three of those little Coronita bottles on all her toes; rolls her office chair over to the Speaker’s office, and eerily declares “Ma-Car-Thy, come out to play (clink clink, clink clink).  Ma-Car-Thy…….come out to play (clink clink, clink clink)…….”

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

What do you think the potential solutions are? Single issue bills, reading periods, etc.  How do we re-engage the deliberative legislative process.  Based on prior posts, I take it that you are not in favor of term limits. What are the right measures in your opinion? 

So, what you are calling for is what I would call a nostalgic return to “regular” order. Every Congress there is a group (usually the minority party) that decries last minute late night votes, giant kitchen sink bills, etc.  But the reality is that as long as the Senate requires 60 votes for passage of most legislation ,it’s very hard to do anything in a timely, transparent manner. The nature of the process basically dictates everything is done behind closed doors at the last minute, then rammed through as the Members flee to DCA to go home. 

But the truth is, Regular Order is a myth. Speakers have been twisting the rules to pass legislation since the ink on the Constitution was still wet.  

The House mostly manages to do its appropriations and authorizations in a procedurally transparent way, because it’s a majority rule institution (although less so after KM gave away the farm). But the Senate isn’t and the House often has to take whatever deal those old bastards cut at the last minute in order to keep the lights on. 

I used to be anti term limits but I’m starting to warm to the idea because I hate that our governance is a gerontocracy. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

So, what you are calling for is what I would call a nostalgic return to “regular” order. Every Congress there is a group (usually the minority party) that decries last minute late night votes, giant kitchen sink bills, etc.  But the reality is that as long as the Senate requires 60 votes for passage of most legislation ,it’s very hard to do anything in a timely, transparent manner. The nature of the process basically dictates everything is done behind closed doors at the last minute, then rammed through as the Members flee to DCA to go home. 

But the truth is, Regular Order is a myth. Speakers have been twisting the rules to pass legislation since the ink on the Constitution was still wet.  

The House mostly manages to do its appropriations and authorizations in a procedurally transparent way, because it’s a majority rule institution (although less so after KM gave away the farm). But the Senate isn’t and the House often has to take whatever deal those old bastards cut at the last minute in order to keep the lights on. 

I used to be anti term limits but I’m starting to warm to the idea because I hate that our governance is a gerontocracy. 

this is the last gasp of boomer white people. 

problem is the last gasp is taking 40 fucking years

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's going to be a game of chicken within that party and honestly I have no idea what's going to happen. I'd like to say enough would move over to voting with the Democrats to keep that shit from happening but these are all the same people who supported Donald Trump as America's dictator for life and tried to downplay a coup attempt that killed people. 

On the one hand you'd think taking away the social security checks and Medicare and disability payments from the majority of their base would be a place they would never want to go, but maybe they feel like everything else they can blame it on the Democrats with their propaganda. That seems like a major risk and they would lose in large numbers if they voted to shut down the government for a long stretch of time but who knows. It's why I said before the Democrats are fucking up by not having their own propaganda machine out there throwing all this at the feet of the Republicans in Congress and setting the tone they are responsible alone for any shutdown that may occur. About the only thing I'm fairly certain about is these idiot Magas will obstruct many bills on completely stupid grounds. 

Best case scenario is the majority of the republicans in the house are too chicken shit to shut down the govt and make sure enough cross the isle to keep that from happening, but nothing else worth a shit gets passed in the house that doesn't immediately get shot down by the Senate. That's the best case scenario we can realistically see the next couple of years. 

We're completely screwed if another major catastrophe like COVID19 hits again. 

Edited by Hermanator

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

maga nation lives on govt checks and govt medical care. The house isn’t dumb enough to fuck with that …. Ohh wait 

When it is presented to them they either have guns or govt checks and govt medical care, you know which way they'll vote.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

The bottom line is that this shit show will be recast as great American democracy at work!  That is how Fox will spoon feed "Thoughts" to it's watchers. The good news for Fox News watchers yesterday was that nothing of note worth mentioning happed on January 6th.  So sleep tight GOP sheep, there never was an insurrection... 

So Now there is a very real chance that the GOP will crash the markets on the "principles" of a few radicals in the GOP. Traitors is what these folks are. They fully supported the overthrowing of democracy in pledging allegiance to a false God. What gives these extremists power?  The stupidity of the GOP in that ONLY if bills can pass with ONLY GOP votes will they be considered.  Thus this same shit show will play out over and over, but more behind closed doors.

The funny thing is. The one thing that could cure this ill, is the same thing that would lose McCarthy his speakership.  Reaching across the aisle to bring wider consensus on legislation would eliminate the power of the few. Thus an immediate challenge to the speaker's gavel will provide more turmoil. In fact I will make a prediction right now.  That when McCarthy attempts to forge a last second deal to dot default on the US debt and destroy the markets... he gets a challenge to his speakership at the very same time!

So two years of Republican whining, without any legislation of note.  But don't worry Republicans you have seated the most corrupt and political Supreme Court this country has ever seen. So there's that!

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Is it though?  Some of the HFC's most vocal "leaders" are Gen X and Millennial. 

The House GOP has a chair term limit rule that limits Committee Chairs to 3 terms.  Most Members don’t want to go back to being a back bencher after that good committee life, so they retire.  The GOP is more broadly young than the Democrats because they experience more safe district churn, allowing promising young state lawmakers to rise up to the federal level.  

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Is it though?  Some of the HFC's most vocal "leaders" are Gen X and Millennial. 

Yeah it's going to have it's share of younger assholes for sure. The hope is as things get worse for Americans the younger GenX, Millennials, and GenZ will have a strong push back against republican rule. 

Boomers, while being initially the generation of "peace, love and rock n roll", lived through a time of post war prosperity as they aged and became more "it's all about me" in their politics. Right now GenX isn't looking as conservative as boomers were and Millennials aren't following the boomer trend at all. I think it's mainly due to younger GenX and mainly Millennials becoming adults during the shit show of post 9/11 America and increasingly getting fucked over by economic hardship. Add in climate change urgency that previous generations didn't deal with much and that may lend itself to a more "it's all about we" mindset where the republican message doesn't resonate as much. 

• Like 2