the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

37 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Makes sense that Gaetz caved at 15. He usually loses interest after 16 or so...

ghows-LK-6b372376-2032-54a5-e053-0100007f4f89-9dd087e2.jpeg

He seriously didn't notice that little girl flipping him off before he posted that?

Related note: I would usually say keep kids as far away from politics as possible, but what a little bad ass.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ah yes. A great furrowing of brows.

Yes. They may be mad, but HFC has the Speaker by the balls and can shut the whole thing down if they choose. The moderates have to get in line. 

Does McCarthy even make it to the end of next week before somebody exercises the motion to vacate?

Here is a list of key concessions and promises McCarthy and his allies have made over the course of the negotiations, based on CNN reporting:

• Any member can call for a motion to vacate the speaker’s chair – this is significant because it would make it much easier than it is currently to trigger what is effectively a no confidence vote in the speaker. Conservatives pushed hard for this, while moderates are worried it will weaken McCarthy’s hand.
  • A McCarthy-aligned super PAC agreed to not play in open Republican primaries in safe seats
  • The House will hold votes on key conservative bills, including a balanced budget amendment, congressional term limits and border security
  • Efforts to raise the nation’s debt ceiling must be paired with spending cuts. This could become a major issue in the future when it is time to raise the debt limit to avoid a catastrophic default because Democrats in the Senate and the White House would likely oppose demands for spending cuts
  • Move 12 appropriations bills individually. Instead of passing separate bills to fund government operations, Congress frequently passes a massive year-end spending package known as an “omnibus” that rolls everything into one bill. Conservatives rail against this, arguing that it evades oversight and allows lawmakers to stick in extraneous pet projects.
  • More Freedom Caucus representation on committees, including the powerful House Rules Committee
  • Cap discretionary spending at fiscal 2022 levels, which would amount to lower levels for defense and domestic programs
  • Seventy-two hours to review bills before they come to floor
  • Give members the ability to offer more amendments on the House floor
  • Create an investigative committee to probe the “weaponization” of the federal government
  • Restore the Holman rule, which can be used to reduce the salary of government officials

If I remember correctly, the Rs reinstated the Holman rule last time they controlled the House but couldn't actually agree on its use to pass anything. Typical.

Edited by pacman

So, what you are calling for is what I would call a nostalgic return to “regular” order. Every Congress there is a group (usually the minority party) that decries last minute late night votes, giant kitchen sink bills, etc.  But the reality is that as long as the Senate requires 60 votes for passage of most legislation ,it’s very hard to do anything in a timely, transparent manner. The nature of the process basically dictates everything is done behind closed doors at the last minute, then rammed through as the Members flee to DCA to go home. 

But the truth is, Regular Order is a myth. Speakers have been twisting the rules to pass legislation since the ink on the Constitution was still wet.  
The House mostly manages to do its appropriations and authorizations in a procedurally transparent way, because it’s a majority rule institution (although less so after KM gave away the farm). But the Senate isn’t and the House often has to take whatever deal those old bastards cut at the last minute in order to keep the lights on. 

I used to be anti term limits but I’m starting to warm to the idea because I hate that our governance is a gerontocracy. 

Maybe not term limits, but outright age limits. Social Security says you’re old as shit and have to take the money at 70. I think a 75-78 age limit for Congress/Presidential election eligibility would be appropriate. You age into that, you finish your term, but you can’t run again.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Maybe not term limits, but outright age limits. Social Security says you’re old as shit and have to take the money at 70. I think a 75-78 age limit for Congress/Presidential election eligibility would be appropriate. You age into that, you finish your term, but you can’t run again.

Agree with that for the most part. My parents and in-laws are getting into their late 70’s. They’re all very intelligent but I have noticed substantial changes just in the last year. I wouldn’t want them running the USA at this point in their lives.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Jeffries gave a great speech last night.

I love the contrast between the Democratic product and the shit show everyone watched all week from the GQP.    Fox olds won’t know or care, but these branding moments are not without consequence.    Imagine millennials watching this last week, seeing Jeffries speak, and thinking “Upon reflection, I really want to be associated with those GQP guys.”

Me neither.  

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

As I watched last night, I could just sense the dipshits on the right squirming in their shit-filled pants as he spoke. I was waiting see how long it would take before they audibly responded. Very surprise they made it all the way to "M" (Mar-a-lago) before their pants overflowed into the aisles. 

I think we may have finally witnessed someone on the left taking the torch from Obama last night.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m going to use that term to refer to the 18 GOPers in Biden districts. Idk what else to call them. 

George Santos

Jorge Santos

Jorgie Santos

Jurgen Santos

Greg Santos

Jeff Santos

Jeremy Santos

Jerome Santos

Gerry Santos

Jerry Santos

Jon Santos

Geoff Santos

Gilbert Santos

Joseph Santos

Jose Santos

Juan Santos

Julio Santos

Gilberto Santos

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Wow. Oratory. Frank truths. Realism about what is at stake.

Brilliant, Congressman Jeffries.

Politically, he just very clearly asserted who the Dems aspire to be and how they should be defined while brutally shining nonconciliatory light on what the GOP is. No more naively believing that Lucy will not swipe away the ball this time.

If he proves true to these words and the thrust of what he said, the Dems have just decided to seize the initiative in laying out who is who and what they're up to.

I like this guy.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

George Santos

Jorge Santos

Jorgie Santos

Jurgen Santos

Greg Santos

Jeff Santos

Jeremy Santos

Jerome Santos

Gerry Santos

Jerry Santos

Jon Santos

Geoff Santos

Gilbert Santos

Joseph Santos

Jose Santos

Juan Santos

Julio Santos

Gilberto Santos

How did you miss Carlos Santos?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Most of these are simply tools to make the federal government more dysfunctional. Maybe two of them could be called “policy” or even “conservative.”  

Since at least Gingrich, the GOP playbook is to rail at how terrible the government is and then when elected to power, actually make it terrible. 

Exactly what PJ O'Rourke once wrote.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Exactly what PJ O'Rourke once wrote.

Man, I miss that guy already (hadn't even been a year).  I bet he have had something delicious to say about this past week.  In just my political lifetime we've had to trade out the likes of Buckley and O'Rourke for Shapiro and Crowder.  WTF? 

Anyway, I still can't believe that the guy who basically left a note for his ex-girlfriend saying "Get your shit and get out" (via the House Architect) was the deciding vote cast in favor of said ex-girlfriend.  I guess I can't judge the Beards in this case, domestic violence makes for a lot of changes in story.    

• Haha 2

I'm also a bit troubled with CNN pundits telling us what the "moderates" in the Republican Party have agreed to.  Let's look at the negotiators:

McCarthy - in early 2021, after polling made it clear that a big majority of Republican voters still believed some version of the big lie, he went to Florida to kneel before Trump, then used his power in the House (as the minority party, it wasn't much) to absolutely torpedo any meaningful investigation into what was pretty clearly a Trump-led attack on democracy.

Gaetz - still giving speeches in 2022 blaming "Antifa" for January 6.

Could one of you explain to me who is the fucking moderate?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I'm also a bit troubled with CNN pundits telling us what the "moderates" in the Republican Party have agreed to.  Let's look at the negotiators:

McCarthy - in early 2021, after polling made it clear that a big majority of Republican voters still believed some version of the big lie, he went to Florida to kneel before Trump, then used his power in the House (as the minority party, it wasn't much) to absolutely torpedo any meaningful investigation into what was pretty clearly a Trump-led attack on democracy.

Gaetz - still giving speeches in 2022 blaming "Antifa" for January 6.

Could one of you explain to me who is the fucking moderate?

CNN is on its way to right wing territory with new ownership. Fuck them 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Brandon and the Democrats better have a debt ceiling plan.

Hard to negotiate with terrorists who don’t want to negotiate. GOP wants to be in charge, they will own this. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Regarded impeachment of Biden weeks away...

That would suck up a lot of their time and not actually accomplish anything meaningful, and just make them look petty as fuck, since there's nothing they can actually impeach him on.

And the investigation into Hunter's laptop is just going to make more people aware of his decent-sized dong.

Edited by atomheartbevo

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That would suck up a lot of their time and not actually accomplish anything meaningful, and just make them look petty as fuck  

Which is why you can expect it to be among the first orders of business. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

On the one hand you'd think taking away the social security checks and Medicare and disability payments from the majority of their base would be a place they would never want to go, but maybe they feel like everything else they can blame it on the Democrats with their propaganda.

Democrats won't get blamed - Gaetz and Boebert and the other HFC idiots will absolutely take full credit for trying to reduce Social Security and Medicare, and they'll do it publicly.

That seems like a major risk and they would lose in large numbers if they voted to shut down the government for a long stretch of time but who knows.

Gaetz was publicly talking about Jeffries being Speaker if Gaetz didn't get what he wants.  He gives no fuck about the GOP, the government, or the US as a whole, and he'll easily be re-elected no matter how far off the rails he goes.

I have no idea what is driving these idiots, but something is stuck up their asses.  Could be Russian money.

Or maybe George Soros is paying them off to wreck shop in the GOP.

About the only thing I'm fairly certain about is these idiot Magas will obstruct many bills on completely stupid grounds. 

The good news is that they will make sure everybody knows they are the ones shutting it down. Boebert's media appearances this week, as well as Gaetz's comments make it clear that they are not only hell-bent on fucking everything up, but making sure everbody knows it's them doing it.

Best case scenario is the majority of the republicans in the house are too chicken shit to shut down the govt and make sure enough cross the isle to keep that from happening, but nothing else worth a shit gets passed in the house that doesn't immediately get shot down by the Senate. That's the best case scenario we can realistically see the next couple of years. 

This is what I think will happen, and enough Republicans in the House will cross the aisle and make sure the government keeps functioning, the pension checks keep going out, and that Social Security and Medicare aren't done away with, etc.  They don't want to lose their majority in 2024.

We're completely screwed if another major catastrophe like COVID19 hits again. 

Well, 2021 was actually "2020 won" and 2022 was actually "2020 too" so...

470.jpg

if the Democrats want to save America, vote for bills sponsored by Republicans before the bills are compromised into far right madness by the Hitler minority.  Game the system Dems, be smart.  Too bad this will never happen and the nation will continue to swirl into the toilet. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

Just now, burntorangebongos said:

Thanks for posting. I didn't stay awake last night to see it. Wow in a good way. 

I just rewatched it. Allergies must be getting me. What a moment that we all needed. What a speech. 

Sent the link to both my kids and their friends, encouraging to watch it and embrace the message.