the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think no matter what, Gaetz is done.  Reading around, way too many House Republicans publicly called him out by name on both the Speaker bullshit and the shutdown bullshit, not to mention he went on camera claiming credit for the would-be shutdown.  He'll try to get McCarthy booted and he'll fail.

Those House Republicans would not have publicly called Gaetz out by name if they were scared of him or his backers.

And none of them want any of this bullshit - shutdowns or Speaker controversies, heading into an election year.  Just because Gaetz maybe safe in his district, not everybody else is.

Yet none are willing to publicly end their party’s undisputed leader, the unamerican, undemocratic, racist criminal piece of human garbage. They’re all despicable cowards. It literally doesn’t matter which one is speaker, two more years of baseless impeachment hearings and immigrant bashing.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yet none are willing to publicly end their party’s undisputed leader, the unamerican, undemocratic, racist criminal piece of human garbage. They’re all despicable cowards.

DeSantis has decided to go on the attack against Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/03/politics/desantis-attacks-trump/index.html

Is this and the fight with Gaetz over the budget and speakership going to be the catalyst to separate the MAGA from the non-MAGA Republicans?

If Gaetz continues to file a challenge against McCarthy every few days, I think it will.

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is this and the fight with Gaetz over the budget and speakership going to be the catalyst to separate the MAGA from the non-MAGA Republicans?

If Gaetz continues to file a challenge against McCarthy every few days, I think it will.

the entire point of this circus is to create chaos then blame Biden and the Democrats for it. McCarthy already did that on the Sunday shows last weekend and was called out for it so he'll just go on Fox et al and they'll push the narrative even though it's false.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fire Elmo GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He’s desperately trying to be the next god king and has less than zero chance. Will likely face repercussions in Florida for failing to kiss the ring.

Edited by 'stache

Why don’t dems vote yes to oust then  no on all proposed replacements? If republicans can’t agree let them go at it for the next two years to avoid them doing all the bullshit they do every day? Is theee any real strategy here? Gaetz knows he can’t get one of his loony friends elected. Is it to get McCarthy to go full maga? My guess is he will (more so than he already is).

Edited by 'stache

Just now, 'stache said:

Why don’t dems vote yes to oust then  no on all proposed replacements? If republicans can’t agree let them go at it for the next two years to avoid them doing all the bullshit they do every day?

Sounds like consensus is building to vote in favor of vacating and then letting the toddlers fight until they can pick someone or enough GOP finally reach out and offer a consensus candidate 

So, before the 1:30 vote (12:30 Texas time, I assume?), what are we exactly rooting for here and what are the long-term ramifications of the status quo moving forward or McCarthy getting axed as Speaker? Basically, it seems like McCarthy getting bumped from the seat might not be a great thing, ginormous fuckstick that he is. I mean, can't things ultimately get worse. Or, as opined above we might devolve into chaos, which the Republicans will blame Dems/Biden for political capital with their legion of low-IQ followers?

Tell me what to root for so I can sit back and enjoy the proceedings.

Just now, C-Man said:

So, before the 1:30 vote (12:30 Texas time, I assume?), what are we exactly rooting for here and what are the long-term ramifications of the status quo moving forward or McCarthy getting axed as Speaker? Basically, it seems like McCarthy getting bumped from the seat might not be a great thing, ginormous fuckstick that he is. I mean, can't things ultimately get worse. Or, as opined above we might devolve into chaos, which the Republicans will blame Dems/Biden for political capital with their legion of low-IQ followers?

I say let it burn. I honestly don't think it can get any worse in the house. And the hyenas are all on the Biden crime family train anyway, who cares if they blame him, they weren't in play as voters anyway. I'm rooting for ouster and chaos, because fuck them.

We don't need no water... Let the motherfucker burn... - Disaster Girl |  Make a Meme

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 2

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Chaos, IMO. The longer it drags, the more we could end up with a consensus candidate. 

The worse the GOP looks here for indies and soft Dems, the better. The low IQ MAGA will blame no one but Biden/RINOs/Pelosi regardless. 

I’ve seen Scalise’s name floated, but he’s fighting cancer. I doubt he could handle the stress of being speaker of the kindergarten 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, 'stache said:

I say let it burn. I honestly don't think it can get any worse in the house. And the hyenas are all on the Biden crime family train anyway, who cares if they blame him, they weren't in play as voters anyway. I'm rooting for ouster and chaos, because fuck them.

We don't need no water... Let the motherfucker burn... - Disaster Girl |  Make a Meme

I mean as far as not passing debt ceiling bills, letting the government shutdown, shit like that.

Just now, C-Man said:

I mean as far as not passing debt ceiling bills, letting the government shutdown, shit like that.

I'm honestly at the point I just don't give a shit anymore. This is what American's voted for, we reap what we sow. We're not a legitimate government anymore anyway. People are already suffering without anyone in that house giving a single shit, they only make it worse. I'm ready for it all to implode and we can start from scratch. Will the new government be worse? Probably, but at least we'd stop pretending to be a democratic nation.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Chaos, IMO. The longer it drags, the more we could end up with a consensus candidate. 

The worse the GOP looks here for indies and soft Dems, the better. The low IQ MAGA will blame no one but Biden/RINOs/Pelosi regardless. 

I’ve seen Scalise’s name floated, but he’s fighting cancer. I doubt he could handle the stress of being speaker of the kindergarten 

I don't think Scalise could be a compromise/consensus candidate. Motherfucker got shot and double-downed on the insanity

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I don't think Scalise could be a compromise/consensus candidate. Motherfucker got shot and double-downed on the insanity

Not him as consensus/compromise. But floated by Gaetz for his own caucus 

• Hook 'Em 1

I couldn't give a damn what happens.  Mitch wouldn't even consider Merrick Garland.  McCarthy and the rest of the House howler monkeys can sit and spin.  Anyone who thinks this is the Dems' fault is an idiot who would argue that the sky isn't really blue just to avoid agreeing with "the other side".

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

How big is his caucus? Obviously very small, but how small?

220 after a resignation.

I'm not sure what the play is. Breaking the Freedom Caucus is a worthwhile goal in itself, but it's a hard choice between that and saving McCarthy.

8 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Still trying to understand how this works. Doesn't the minority party always vote against the proposed speaker and force the other side to reach a consensus? Isn't that a positive aspect to the minority that the majority holds such a slim margin? Are dems all expected to vote for expulsion and against all proposals absent some consensus centrist proposal with some concessions to the minority party?

Edited by 'stache

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Chaos is bad because the clock is already ticking for November 17. I understand the impulse to let shit burn, but a shutdown affects a lot of people in very real ways.

Which is what a majority of this country keeps voting for, so just let it happen already. I'm truly at the end of my rope with who we keep electing. We don't deserve a functional government. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Still trying to understand how this works. Doesn't the minority party always vote against the proposed speaker and force the other side to reach a consensus? Isn't that a positive aspect to the minority that the majority holds such a slim margin? Are dems all expected to vote for expulsion and against all proposals absent some consensus centrist proposal with some concessions to the minority party?

Without concessions, Dems should let him hang. And sounds like they will. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Chaos is bad because the clock is already ticking for November 17. I understand the impulse to let shit burn, but a shutdown affects a lot of people in very real ways.

there's no shutdown imminent after the stopgap bill was passed - that's why Gaetz wants to remove McCarthy. 

MAGA wants a shutdown and chaos that they can attempt to pin on the Democrats - that's the marching orders from Trump. 

Just now, Js1 said:

AFAIK, we still have no idea who is Speaker Pro Tem on the super duper secret list that’s never been made public. 

I mean, c'mon man.  You're gonna make me spell it out for you? Hint:  It's not even legally required that it's a current member of the House of Representatives.  

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I mean, c'mon man.  You're gonna make me spell it out for you? Hint:  It's not even legally required that it's a current member of the House of Representatives.  

Frank fucking Stallone strikes again. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Nothing gets done in a budget fight until the very end (back room negotiating excluded).  Republicans are not willing to negotiate, so fuck em.  They will have to punt again, less they choose to risk vulnerable seats even further.  The chaos only helps us and makes them look like a bunch of petulant children.  My advice, let them.  

Government employees don't like having to work for no money.  Tough shit.  Nobody put a gun to your head and made you take the job.  Most of those dipshits voted for Trump anyway.  Don''t like it?  Take up arms against the GOP.  They'd do it to you in a heartbeat.  Arm the fuck up and take back your government.  Otherwise, we got other insurrections to deal with which will be arriving directly.  

• Fuck You 1