2023 Poker in the Rear

Lurch

Even though they are both poor players, you still made the right lay down. Most of the time you’re proper fucked with that action on that flop.

Agree with the caveat that with the knowledge gained in this hand, it’s much closer. MP is just hemorrhaging equity into the pot.

Yeah, was hoping to get to use that knowledge but he dumped his chips off before i could.

Old man to my right was way more worried about getting his drinks from the cocktail waitress than playing poker and made a similar spazzy bluff earlier. I got 8d9d on the button, raised to $15, old man called. Flop 67T two clubs. I bet $30 he calls. Turn is 5c, He thinks for a minute, jams his remaining $43 into a $100 pot, I call and flip my cards, he mucks his cards, telling me he was hoping I was scared of the flush.

• Haha 2

On 3/21/2023 at 5:53 PM, blacklab said:

99 on the button, one guy raises to $15, BB calls. Flop 776. BB bets $50, original raiser goes all in for $110. Fold/call/raise?

KJ in middle position, raise to $15, 3 callers. Flop KJ3. Bet $30, two callers. Turn 3, bet $50 one instacall. River 2, I check other guy bets $75. Call/fold/raise?

I’d fold the first hand. Looks like an over pair. Probably doesn’t have a 7 with the $15 pre flop bet. 

on the second hand - assuming no flush draws out there, you’re likely only worried about a full house.  I don’t see A3 or K3 calling $15.  If he had 33 pre flop I don’t think he’d be that patient. Id call or raise depending on my read of the player, but I’m not likely letting that go. 

Edited by Pig Bellmont

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’d fold the first hand. Looks like an over pair. Probably doesn’t have a 7 6 with the $15 pre flop bet. 

on the second hand - assuming no flush draws out there, you’re likely only worried about a full house.  I don’t see A3 or K3 calling $15.  If he had 33 pre flop I don’t think he’d be that patient. Id call or raise depending on my read of the player, but I’m not likely letting that go. 

not sure where you are playing but in the 1/2 game at Red Star, a pre-flop raise to $15 at any point not done by the dealer or a hyper-tight player is just a reason to have 3-6 people call to play bingo. 

Almost any A (suited or not), suited connectors, and suited 1 gappers are ALL well within a $15 call. **  

Meaning a player having a single 6  (Bob amended the flop cards) is entirely possible  One person representing the paired board is OK to call... once you have 2 incl an All in and you are in real trouble long term.   unless you know for sure both players are maniacs, a fold there is good long term even if it wasnt this time.

on the 2nd hand, the thing about people calling with any 2 cards for only $15 still true.

Even if its a rainbow flop, as long as the main post-flop bet is not a massive over-bet to the pot size, the chances of a guy in-position calling with any piece of the board (even just a 3) are better than nothing, especially if they still have a backdoor flush draw.   

But there, I think Bob still has to call because the guy is in position on him and could be trying to steal the pot as last to act  to get someone to fold where they only have a naked  J with a bad kicker or scared of 3 of a kind.  Pretty much any K has to call there with the paired board and the 5th card J splitting with 60% of the other kings out there.

**I didnt post it but one of my trips 2 weeks ago involved me getting stacked on my first hand with AK when I was the BB and after 2 guys raised to $20/ then $40, folded to me, I shoved  I got 1 caller (2nd guy) called by A4u  and he hit a 4 on the run-out. 

I rebought, and 1 table round later, I am the dealer when the same two guys, first bet $25, 2nd raised to $50, folded to me and I shoved for $200 again with 99.  

I got called by JTu by the first guy and 57s by the other guy- the 888 flop helped but still had to avoid the 6 outer (which i did) both had over $1000 in front when they did that. they werent playing to play against me, they were playing to play against each other and that charge was $200 to do it.   which they both paid, but the triple board flop killed any chance of either of them trying to bluff, so they checked it down. and showed each other to show how much gamble they had... they knew I had shoved with something better than both.

I played 2 hours today had a nice run turned $200 into $700  but managed to watch 2 of gambliest dudes at Red Star manage to dump almost $5k combined onto the table in less than 2 orbits.

it was match the stack and they kept buying in for $500 each calling each others all ins (along with the few select who the poker gods smiled upon) pre flop with nothing more than 1-2 lowgappers, and the occasional suited whatever.  I couldnt catch a hand the entire time. and i dont mean one of the top 5 premiums, I mean the highest card I got dealt was a J. 

watched  the guy to my right shove for $700 with AKss into both of them who both  flat called for another $600 each with 24o and K9o.... and in a poker miracle, nobody hit a damn thing. AK won the hand.   followed immediately by a rebuy where  the guy on my left shoved QQ and $145 into 3 guys who all then shoved for $300/500/500   

the larger dollar hands showed 33, 76o and JTs  queens took the main pot and 33 took the side.  rinse repeat.  those 2 left after several other rebuys.  and the guys who benefitted from the charity all bailed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I was at a table like that once at Rounders, but I didn't know it. First hand, I was dealt JJ UTG and I folded to a cold 5-bet preflop shove. It was like 3-3 v. 9-T suited v. Q-K suited. I remember the turn was a J.

Never got dealt another hand worth playing.

I have played (and posted about) both of them before.  

I am up long term on them (mostly because I make it something like $75 pre and they call then fold to an all in) But, no exaggeration, both of them have felted me multiple times when I have had the largest stack of the day against their whatevers, when my top 5's were  all-in going to flop no more action, as 80+% favs and getting binked on so many damn times.    

and in almost every case, it was just like last night, where everyone around me had their big pairs, or AK hold vs undercards and/or smaller aces getting called by both of them and their hands holding up- hell I forgot that a last to act guy with 44 called $500 against both of them saying he thought he was ahead (he was correct, and also binked a 4 on the flop to make it soo much easier for him) ...

meanwhile I do it and 52s or 99 calling  gets a 2-2-9 flop and Im done and I am shipping $300-600 their way.  I get it, thats poker, But its absolutely infuriating how many times I win only $150 or so vs lose most of, if not all of my stack when they play that... and to have them then immediately lose all of that stack to someone else on the table who bolts immediately after.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Sat night  2.5 hr session. bought in for $200.

very first hand is a bomb pot I have AdAAQ (not suited).  we all check the flop and the turn gives a JJT6 no flush board on top, and a KJ83 diamond draw board.  checks to the guy to my left who only bets out $15.  6 callers, incl me, because its worth trying to get that 3 outer nut straight.  top board is a brick, and bottom board throws out the case ace.   checks again to the guy to my left, and he bets $60.  and there are 2 other callers before it comes to me.   The only guy I am worried about is the original bettor with JQ. I figure I have to call with the set.    No one has the case J, nor do they have a boat,  I saw a set of KK and K8 who called.... I manage to scoop the whole damn thing. 

Very next hand its raised to $15, I call with 87dd, 5 callers.  flop is 7h5h7s. original raiser makes it $30, 1 caller before me, and I just call.  1 more caller.  turn is 8h.  FTA bets out $60. folds to me, I call, everyone folds.  River 3h. FTA bets out $100- hes only got $50 back. I raise it, he calls with 9h9.   and I take down that one. had a few other good hands to leave  with $1040 total. 

today, I buy in for $200.  only have $150 in front on this hand. $10 live straddle. I am button with A6ss. 2 guys call the $10, I make it $45,  and get 3 callers.  flop is Ks 5h 7h.  It checks to me.  I bet out $45 again. get 1 fold and a guy with about $140 behind shoves. other guys folds. 

so Ive only got $60 in front. and I really think hes on a flush draw. I sigh call, he asks to run it 2 times, I agree, hes got A2hh.  so yeah, hes on the flush draw. neither board puts out a heart or 2, and my 6 plays both boards. lol. 

slowly creep up the stack until I have around $450 or so and this hand happens. 

$10 live straddle and I am cutoff.  3 callers, and I have 88.   I fully expect the straddler to raise anything here. so I just limp call.   Instead the SB (very spewy), makes it $60, hes got around $300 behind. straddle (even more spewy), calls the $60, hes got another $140 or so behind. and the UTG first limper who only has $110 total calls the $60. 

My read is I am ahead of all them except maybe the first limper- but hes not a trapper, if he had a pair higher than TT he would have made it $40-110.  

I figure if I shove here, both the other spewers go away because I rarely have shown where I shove light, and I will get called by the UTG guy.  I am cool running it for a $110 flip. 

So i shove.

and in true Texas hold em fashion BOTH the guys I expected to go away, audibly say "fuck it I want to go home" and call... and UTG says hes got AK and calls.    4 way all in.

at this point I just want to win the final side pot. which lets me break even. 

we run it once, and I dont want to bother looking until its over.  I dont want to know the other hands, but they show A9 and 57.  

dealer says ok, show for the side pot...

I look down at T6 8 2Q. 

yep... I scoop the whole fucking thing.  all 3 of them leave the table after.   first time Ive cleared 3 off a table on 1 hand. 

end up leaving after a 2 hour session. out for $1035. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Trying to think of a worse line with $150 in front first to act holding 9h9x on 77583hhhh than "bet $100, call off the rest" but can't do it. 

I would also just jam your A6ss on flop if you're calling off a jam anyway, we would definitely prefer to maximize fold equity rather than have someone spazz with middle pair trying to get us to fold something like 99. But it worked out!  Nice sessions!

5 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Trying to think of a worse line with $150 in front first to act holding 9h9x on 77583hhhh than "bet $100, call off the rest" but can't do it.

it was around 1130/midnight, and pretty sure he was well lubricated.   

My last 3 Saturday sessions (over 6 weeks I think )  have been +350, +580, +840.  So I am trying to focus on those. would love to say those are all my sessions, but as we all know.. poker is a cruel mistress. The previous 2 regular day sessions I was -420 and -400, so that Sat session got me even for the 10 days or so of playing, and yest was a nice bonus to start the new calendar.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

came back from a 2-2.5 hr session playing on one of the weirdest tables. 

standard 1/2 game with 2 really tight players, 2 drunk spewy college student buddies, one 420 easy baked oven stoner. and a rotating 6 regulars. 

bought in for $300,   a bit up and down, lost about $100 in a bomb pot when I had double nut flush draws and double open end straight draws that all missed.  I added back another $60 to top off.

On the first big hand i have something like $260 in front.  I am BB with A8hh.   Stoned UTG ($500 behind)  limps, spewy college #1 ($400 behind)  bumps it up to $20, several callers and I just call -stoner never trapped, so I knew at worst he was just calling, if not folding, he called. 

Flop is Ad 5d 4s. 

I check, stoner bets $10, college kid calls, 1 other caller is a drawing-at-something regular, and I dont really want to raise, I just call.

turn is As

I check again. Stoner bets $50, college kid calls, regular takes a while and just calls.  I am not exactly loving the 8 kicker, but I really think the college kid and the regular are on draws.  The stoner could easily have a medium pocket pair.

The pot is already above $250, and I want to get it in now if they are drawing, and if I am up against the case ace or a slow played boat, so be it.

So I shove for $232

Stoner snap calls.  college kid actually beats his chips into the pot by a faster snap call, regular folds saying he only had a 4.  the other 2 still have chips behind, so we go to the river. 

obviously i am in deep shit.  need an 8 for sure. 

and the river brings a big, beautiful .... Jd.... womp womp. 

stoner bets $50... and college kid just calls.

stoner has 85cc.............  ??????????????

kid has A6o....

wow. just wow.  The 8 played and I got the main pot. 

The 2nd college kid stacked 4 regulars on other various hands, when I left he had about $1500 in front.   His buddy came back with wacky game play and had around $800 in front when i left. 

played for another 30-45mins and left with $875.  In for $360, +$515. 

• Like 1

Okay you PLO experts. Last night I played a live PLO hand, 8-handed, $1/$2 and we had agreed to three orbits with $5 mandatory straddle. I have about $500 and I'm the effective stack. I was invited to this home game and I don't know anybody in the hand but they all seem to know what they're doing.

I'm in the straddle with QQJT, suited Q of diamonds. Early position min-opens to $10, Button calls, BB calls, I call.

Flop is A-K-6 rainbow with 6 of diamonds. check, check, check, Button bets $30, which I view as strength. I call hoping to turn the nuts against a strong hand.

Turn is a 6 of spades, so now K of spades and 6 of spades are on the board. I do not like this card and I check. Button also checks. 

River is Q of spades giving me a decent boat, but losing to quads, AAA66 and KKK66. I can get called with smaller boats and maybe a backdoor flush.

Is this a mandatory value bet and fold to a raise? If so, how much should I bet?

I did not bet because I am a nit. I checked, he bet $50, I call, and he shows A-x of spades for the nut flush. He also had a K, so he bet two-pair on the flop.

He made this easy for me by only betting $50. If he pots it am I ever folding QQQ66? I think he bet the river thinking I'm betting all my full houses.

What do you think of his play?

• Like 1

With your hand, I’m def betting river. That said, it’s never a bluff so he’ll have to think either nut flush or boat and will rarely call a big bet. $50 is prob max you can expect a call with.

I’d def call a pot river bet from him. He has a lot of bluffs in his range, esp since you don’t have As, and a bluff here will pretty much always be pot.

I think his $50 river bet is appropriate. He prob planned to bet fold

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Bookman said:

Okay you PLO experts. Last night I played a live PLO hand, 8-handed, $1/$2 and we had agreed to three orbits with $5 mandatory straddle. I have about $500 and I'm the effective stack. I was invited to this home game and I don't know anybody in the hand but they all seem to know what they're doing.

I'm in the straddle with QQJT, suited Q of diamonds. Early position min-opens to $10, Button calls, BB calls, I call.

Flop is A-K-6 rainbow with 6 of diamonds. check, check, check, Button bets $30, which I view as strength. I call hoping to turn the nuts against a strong hand.

Turn is a 6 of spades, so now K of spades and 6 of spades are on the board. I do not like this card and I check. Button also checks. 

River is Q of spades giving me a decent boat, but losing to quads, AAA66 and KKK66. I can get called with smaller boats and maybe a backdoor flush.

Is this a mandatory value bet and fold to a raise? If so, how much should I bet?

I did not bet because I am a nit. I checked, he bet $50, I call, and he shows A-x of spades for the nut flush. He also had a K, so he bet two-pair on the flop.

He made this easy for me by only betting $50. If he pots it am I ever folding QQQ66? I think he bet the river thinking I'm betting all my full houses.

What do you think of his play?

He played it pretty close to what I would.

With the check on the turn I'm pretty confident there's no boat or quads out there that beats mine. Most people will bet hoping people will chase a strait or flush. They wait to bet on the river they probably aren't getting any callers if the draws miss. I have seen a few players slow play there but it is not very common. With pot limit you only get so many chances to load the pot up so there are fewer traps laid. 

I would have bet out at least a half a pot on the river thinking I probably have the best boat at that point.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Does soft mean guys that will instafold on any bet?

Usually it means the opposite. Players that won’t fold anything, ever. The main characteristic is that they play passive. And usually very predictably. 

• Like 1

3 negative sessions in a row -80, -320, and -160 (although I was down as much as $500 and clawed back to just neg 160).

bought in for $200 today, was the BB, and promptly lost $75 on my first hand.  as SB I get QTcc.  UTG made it $5. 2 other callers, I call so does BB. 

flop is 9s8sAd  I check... and it manages to check around. 

gin card Jc on turn.

I bet $25, get 3 callers.  River Ac.  no longer the nuts, but no one made a move and I only had $95 left.  I figured no one was gonna fold an A for that, so I shove.  I get snap called by the BB and UTG, last guy folds.  I am up against T7, and AK (no idea why the hell he didnt bet the flop). 

a few hands later, I get KTcc in MP. I make it $10, SB makes it $20, everyone else folds.  I call  Hes got $300 behind. 

Flop is Kh 7h 2c.  SB bets out $30, and I call. 

Turn is Th. SB bets out $60.  Hes showing some strength, but I decided that if he really had the flush already he would have either bet smaller to get me to come along or try to check raise.    So I shove, I have him covered... and he pretty much snap calls.   

we agree to run it twice.   both rivers are low blanks, I show the top 2 and he mucks.  Best guess is he had AhKx 

got into large limped pot by flopping a straight with 74o as the BB, and managed to get 4 people calling my $20 leadout, and 2 calling my $55 turn bet.  both folding on the river to my $20 attempt at a value bet. 

won another $100 or so on the A high flush draw shove on the flop.  played less than 90 mins.  in for $200 out for $1030

25 minutes ago, blacklab said:

what am I missing on the first hand? As described you had the nuts, a strait to the Q, while the others had a smaller strait and trips. Did you lose $75 on the first hand and this is a later hand?

First hand he lost $75 as BB. Next hand, as SB, is what he wrote out (QT -> 98AJA). QT was the nuts until the A paired and now there is a chance for a boat or quads.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

atwhat am I missing on the first hand? As described you had the nuts, a strait to the Q, while the others had a smaller strait and trips. Did you lose $75 on the first hand and this is a later hand?

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

First hand he lost $75 as BB. Next hand, as SB, is what he wrote out (QT -> 98AJA). QT was the nuts until the A paired and now there is a chance for a boat or quads.

^winner^

I shoved knowing a boat beats me, but with me only having $95 behind, if I run into a slow played boat, so be it.

letting it check around would have been a disaster for me. 

I assumed that at least one of the opponents had an A and wouldnt be able to fold trip aces for only another $95 to win a $225 pot.

Didnt really imagine the lower straight just smooth calling my turn bet rather than raise there. 

And I have no idea wtf AK was doing checking an A high, combo flop. 

He bets anything more than about $15 there and I have to nope out with just a gutshot and runner runner flush chance.   

instead, both those guys slow playing allowed me to immediately get to 2X my starting stack after just 2 hands.  -pretty sure if lower straight had raised the turn, AK folds there. but couldnt fold the river once he had trips with top kicker.

saturday was the poker gods laughing at me. 

bought in for 200,    3rd hand I am the button with 197 in front when UTG makes it $15 to go. 3 other callers and me, with KTcc

flop is 2h 2s 5c.  Checks around.  Turn is the 6c UTG bets out $25, 2 other callers, and I just call.  River is Ac

UTG bets $50, same 2 guys call.   Ive only got $157, and I shove.  UTG folds, other 2 call.  one has a worse flush the other had 34 for the straight. 

So i basically end up increasing my stack by 3.5x  sitting with a little more than $700

The very next bomb pot, I have 33 Ah 9h. 

top board is 3 3 8 black flush draw.   Bottom board is 8h Th Jh.    uh... ok.  nut nut is a pretty good start.

FTA bets $15, and i think 5 of us call. 

Turn top board completes the flush Kx  bottom board throws out the Kh   

UTG bets out $110. gets 3 callers incl me.   omega nut on top and nut on bottom. 

top river card is incosequential.    Kd on the bottom.....   

UTG bets out $300 the other 2 call for less for around $250 each, and I reraise all in.  get snap called by UTG 

and of course, the one guy with as much money as me had 88.   the others mucked.  8 fricking outs from a $2200 pot scoop,  but I won roughtly $360 from that pot. not bad.    

At that point I had ~ $1200 in front.

had only been playing for 30 mins or so, and didnt want to hit and run. so I kept playing.

a few hands later,  pre flop with JJ on the button, I 4 bet shove to get called by a guy with $350 behind with AQo .    A on flop and  dont improve. -350

about 20 mins later, I have 77  UTG  make it $20 get 3 callers until a reckless and drunk college student with around $170 min raises to $40 on the button. 

Folds to me and I am pretty sure I am ahead.  So I make it $150. folds to him.  he goes all in and I call the rest.   hes like I dont have shit, " I thought you would fold"   dude, it was like $20 more to call a $400 pot. of course Im calling with anything.   Flop is AJJ8T

he says I missed and flips over Q9o...........  -$171

about 1 orbit later that same guy has roughly $550 in front when I am on the button with QQ.  An early raise to $20 is called by 2 others, then the kid makes it $50.   I reraise to $100, folds to him... and he makes it $200.   I shove, he snap calls with AKo.    AK on the flop and -545 for me.  (and the kid suddenly gets an urgent phone call from his GF that "forces" him to leave immediately).

I dont understand why I cant ever fucking win the QQ vs AK huge flips, but my biggest losses have come with that exact same hand v hand. (with 1 noteable exception).  

I end up leaving shortly after.  in for $200,  out for $170. up as much as $1000,  out for $-30  real kick in the nuts. But as they say, thats poker. 

• Hook 'Em 1

(Long article, more in the link below):

Last October, the Watauga Social Lounge Poker Club in Watauga, Texas – which is situated between Fort Worth and Dallas – was raided by police during Day 2 of one of their bigger tournaments. Dozens of staff members were arrested, approximately $150K-$200K in equipment, $205,000 in cash was seized, and 49 players were fined $360 each.

Three of those players took a plea deal back in December, but since then, the other players have been awaiting their day in court. However, before they got it, they received some good news that their charges and fines were being dismissed.

One of the players, Daryl Gresham, shared an image of the official dismissal, which read:

“On this 18th day of April 2023, Daryl J. Gresham is the defendant in the above styled and numbered cause having been charged with the offense of Gambling – Cards, Dice, Balls, is hereby dismissed for the following reason: “Motion to Dismissed by D.A. – Interest of Justice.”

PokerNews was able to confirm that other players were receiving similar dismissals. Unfortunately for the three players who accepted the plea deal late last year, their cases stand.

While it was good news for Gresham, he also shared his discontent with the entire situation.

“First part of the injustice has now been dropped for all 46 of 49 who wanted their/our day in court,” Gresham wrote. “Now let’s go get our 205k the TCSO robbed from us at gunpoint, cameras cut, etc… Each and every one of the 19 raiders that day knew why they were there and what was at stake and knew they were doing wrong! Some thought that they were being set up and year you were right by your own dept and DA… This isn’t over til you return our money and justice is served!!!! I’m still disgusted at the authorities that this was ok in your offices!!!! Remember to serve and protect, not to rob the people at gunpoint!”

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2023/04/watauga-social-lounge-poker-club-texas-raid-43410.htm

• Rage+1 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:38 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

I dont understand why I cant ever fucking win the QQ vs AK huge flips, but my biggest losses have come with that exact same hand v hand. (with 1 noteable exception).  

I end up leaving shortly after.  in for $200,  out for $170. up as much as $1000,  out for $-30  real kick in the nuts. But as they say, thats poker. 

Curious on the AK vs QQ hand, did you consider calling when he raised to $200?

I’m probably too conservative on those hands, but I would rather see a flop in a cash game before I commit with QQ. 

It suck’s to check-fold when you see the A and K on the flop but you live to see another hand.

Curious on the AK vs QQ hand, did you consider calling when he raised to $200?
 I’m probably too conservative on those hands, but I would rather see a flop in a cash game before I commit with QQ. 

It suck’s to check-fold when you see the A and K on the flop but you live to see another hand.

Really important for you to consider stack sizes. If you just call, the pot is $400+ and he just has $300 left behind. You’ll be burning money if you fold on any flop, as paying $300 to win $1000 just needs 30% to win. He’s going to have that in bluffs alone.

Rather, you’ve got a monster preflop and you want him all in before he has a chance to miss a flop and fold. As noted above, you’re getting it all in no matter what, so do it now.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

did a 2.5 hour session today, got in before the rain squall came through.  Left when there was a lull.

bought in for $300, creeped up to $350 when I get KTss as SB  hyper aggro mid-20s asian kid opens to $15 UTG.  folds to me and I call.  with this guy everytime you check to him he almost always bets.  BB folds. 

Flop is K 88 rainbow.  I check to trap, but he checks behind.

Turn is Td putting a flush draw out there.  I check again.  he bets out $25.  I pause and eventually make it $60.  He takes a while and calls.

K on the river... lol.   I dont think I can get him to call any bet here. so I check.   He takes a while and complies with the $85 shove, I call and win. 

an orbit later, I get  KTo on the button,  Asian kid (reloaded) again makes it $15 as 2nd to act,  2 callers, I call, SB and BB both call. so its a pretty nice pot to start.  

Flop is K T 7 rainbow, SB checks, BB (not the kid) shoves for $110, folds to me, I call and SB folds.  

he shows K9o   A on the turn gives him 3 chop outs, but the river blanks. 

Agro kid ends up winning a pot that he raised to $75 pre as the SB, gets 3 callers and on a Th 9x 2h flop, shoves for $150, folds to the button who calls with AT no heart, two hearts hit incl 4h on the river... kid shows 24o to win with 2 pair.  so he slowly chips down from $600 to about $350 when this next hand happens.

I am EP with AKo.  I limp to trap him, he makes it $15 again, and there are 4 callers.  I need to cull the field a bit, I make it $85, He then shoves. and everyone clears out.  having just seen the 24 hand there is no fucking way I am folding here.   I call we run it twice.   He shows A6 off.  top board flops KK X and I win that one, complete air on the bottom and K kicker plays.   racked up about 30 mins later. In for $300 out for $825

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Really important for you to consider stack sizes. If you just call, the pot is $400+ and he just has $300 left behind. You’ll be burning money if you fold on any flop, as paying $300 to win $1000 just needs 30% to win. He’s going to have that in bluffs alone.

Rather, you’ve got a monster preflop and you want him all in before he has a chance to miss a flop and fold. As noted above, you’re getting it all in no matter what, so do it now.

This. Plus you should never reverse engineer your strategy for what your opponents specific holding was. For every time we execute the “fold QQ to AK when A or K flops” plan we also execute the “fold QQ to JJ who jams the K94 flop bc the pot is huge” or the “lose out on stacking JJ bc they fold an A94 flop when they would have called off pre” plan.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Was back at TCH last night on them 1/3 streets. Had to work for it this session. I’m terrible at hand history’s because I take pretty frequent weed breaks, but in general I was doing well at hold ‘em, getting crushed in the plo bomb pots, until the game was breaking and we played one last one for the road 4 handed for $25/each. Scooped for about $1,000 with like the 17th nut on each board.

In for $1,400, out for $2,540.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2023 at 10:10 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

when I get KTss as SB  hyper aggro mid-20s asian kid opens to $15 UTG.  folds to me and I call.  with this guy everytime you check to him he almost always bets.  BB folds. 

Flop is K 88 rainbow.  I check to trap, but he checks behind.

Turn is Td putting a flush draw out there.  I check again.  he bets out $25.  I pause and eventually make it $60.  He takes a while and calls.

K on the river... lol.   I dont think I can get him to call any bet here. so I check.   He takes a while and complies with the $85 shove, I call and win.

Did he muck or did you see what he played with? He obviously had a big range. 

7 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

You showed when you called? Or he mucked before seeing your hand. No chance he shoves an 8 then mucks it without seeing.

in this case, I rolled over my cards as I snap called knowing they were good as to not waste time.  I realize I could have made him show but that stupid dance could have taken 30+ seconds.

• Like 1

Each room has different caps for different stakes. I think Bellagio actually has a $300 cap for 1/3. It would be good to have extra money on hand to top up to 300 if you lose some money, or another buyin in case you get stacked of course. Some rooms have a "match the biggest stack" or "match 80% of the biggest stack" buyin rule, but I don't think the B does, but not positive. 

Lots of people will buy more than $300 in chips when you check in and just have the extra in $25 chips in your pocket to add (only between hands and only if it doesn't take you over $300).  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2