Threepeat or Bust: Texas Women’s Tennis 2023

Js1

Going strictly by UTR ratings, UNC is far and away the favorites to win the national title as they boast 5 players with UTR's over 11.00 compared to none for Texas.
Last year, Texas won the national championship with only 2 players with UTR's over 11 in Peyton Stearns and Kylie Collins but they have since turned pro and transferred to LSU, respectively. Despite OU and OKST each having a player with an 11+ UTR, Texas should have no problem winning the Big12 again due to their depth down the lineup. We may not have a standout at the top of the lineup this season like we've had since the the Turati years, but all 8 girls on scholarship have UTR's above 10.00 which will payoff later in the season if Joffee wants to give a player rest one match, he can plug in another player without missing a beat.

This would be Joffee's toughest team to win a championship with since he has been here, but he has answered every challenge up to this point so I'm still not counting him out. I won't be surprised if next week UNC and Texas meet up in the indoor tournament for a possible national championship preview. 

Hook Em🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

The Miami invite is just an extension of the fall individual season, but works well as a warm-up event to prep the team for the spring season. NCSTs #1 player, Diana Schneider, is far and away the best player in college tennis by boasting a UTR over 12.0 and a WTA ranking just outside the top 100 in the world. Wtf is she doing playing college tennis?

Currently she is tied up in Australian Open qualifying, so don’t expect her back for a while. 

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The Miami invite is just an extension of the fall individual season, but works well as a warm-up event to prep the team for the spring season. NCSTs #1 player, Diana Schneider, is far and away the best player in college tennis by boasting a UTR over 12.0 and a WTA ranking just outside the top 100 in the world. Wtf is she doing playing college tennis?

Currently she is tied up in Australian Open qualifying, so don’t expect her back for a while. 

From what's been said, Schnaider's decision to go to college was based a lot on the Russian War and her family thought there'd be a lot of travel restrictions placed on Russian citizens. When she committed to NC State over the summer, her ranking was in the 300s. Then over the fall she went on a tear and rose over 200 places. Seriously am wondering if she's going to follow through playing the NCAAs or if she sees the benefit of play pro full time now.

btw, NC State could have probably been even stronger had Nugroho (last year's ACC freshmen of the year) had not turned pro. Also Chantra of OU turned pro over the summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, Aleemay said:

From what's been said, Schnaider's decision to go to college was based a lot on the Russian War and her family thought there'd be a lot of travel restrictions placed on Russian citizens. When she committed to NC State over the summer, her ranking was in the 300s. Then over the fall she went on a tear and rose over 200 places. Seriously am wondering if she's going to follow through playing the NCAAs or if she sees the benefit of play pro full time now.

btw, NC State could have probably been even stronger had Nugroho (last year's ACC freshmen of the year) had not turned pro. Also Chantra of OU turned pro over the summer.

Schnaider won her first round AO match in straight sets today. If she beats world #6 Sakkari next round, it would make absolutely no sense for her to come back to college. 

Also, Texas played fairly well in the Miami invite, but I was surprised Nicole Khirin only played 1 match all weekend. Hopefully its not a health issue

8 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Also, Texas played fairly well in the Miami invite, but I was surprised Nicole Khirin only played 1 match all weekend. Hopefully its not a health issue

Whether it is or isn’t, Joffe gets the benefit of the doubt since he’s the 2 time defending NC winning coach 

20 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Schnaider won her first round AO match in straight sets today. If she beats world #6 Sakkari next round, it would make absolutely no sense for her to come back to college. 

Schnaider is in such an unique position. Closest I can think of is Beatrice Capra back in 2010 making the third round of the US Open and then getting double baggled by Sharapova. Question was whether or not she'd go pro or go to Duke (since she was HS class of 2011). Capra played about dozen more tournaments afterwards and it was pretty clear that her US Open run was a fluke (lost at least 5 matches in a row on ITF circuit) and enrolled at Duke.

Schnaider is even better at this point compared to Capra as Schnaider will be top 100 and can enter many more of the main WTA tournaments. Capra's ranking only got as high as 201.

Miami Invite: Pretty clear that Texas' main strength will be at the bottom of the lineup. Good to see Pachkaleva back on the court after her injury last year at the NCAA's.

• Hook 'Em 2

Triple header in Austin this weekend to open the season in our quest for a threepeat. UNT on Friday, SMU on Saturday, and Tulane on Sunday. 

UNT and Tulane will be overmatched by us, but SMU has the talent of a middle-of-the-pack Big12 team and could provide somewhat of a test. I actually did a double take when I saw Taylor Johnson on SMU's roster. 5 or 6 years ago the USTA was really pushing Taylor as the next big thing in American tennis (I remember they even put her in a televised charity exhibition event in Vegas with Elton John, Billy Jean King, and a bunch of top tennis pros) Although her tennis career didn't quite pan out that way she or the USTA had hoped, she still played tennis 4 years at UCLA and is finishing off her tennis career at SMU as a grad transfer. Good for her

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Triple header in Austin this weekend to open the season in our quest for a threepeat. UNT on Friday, SMU on Saturday, and Tulane on Sunday. 

UNT and Tulane will be overmatched by us, but SMU has the talent of a middle-of-the-pack Big12 team and could provide somewhat of a test. I actually did a double take when I saw Taylor Johnson on SMU's roster. 5 or 6 years ago the USTA was really pushing Taylor as the next big thing in American tennis (I remember they even put her in a televised charity exhibition event in Vegas with Elton John, Billy Jean King, and a bunch of top tennis pros) Although her tennis career didn't quite pan out that way she or the USTA had hoped, she still played tennis 4 years at UCLA and is finishing off her tennis career at SMU as a grad transfer. Good for her

Not to mention SMU was probably the first team out of the NCAA's last year. Texas should still win, but wouldn't be surprised if the score is 5-2.

• Hook 'Em 1

I officially have concern over our team's overall health. Joffe rolled with the exact same 6 players as he did yesterday against UNT, which indicates to me 3 out of our 8 scholarship players are unavailable due to injury/personal matters/illness. Those players are Ovrootsky, Kihrin, and Zein. We need to get at least one of them healthy asap so we don't have to use our walk-on in both doubles and singles. 

Shout out to Rapolu who got a big win at #2 singles over Taylor Johnson 7-6, 7-6. 

Also while watching the matches today, I was reminded that this is the first year the women play let serves, just like the men do. No more lets in college tennis for either gender.

Edited by perfectchaos007

4-0 against Baylor. May be a continuing theme this year- the bottom of the lineup won convincingly.

Also want to point Rapolu double bageling Baranano at line 4. They played twice during the 2021 season and both matches went to three sets with Rapolu winning both times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

We have another tough test against #24  USC tomorrow at the indoor UT courts. Their top 3 singles lines are better on paper than our top 3 singles lines, but Texas has the edge lines 4-6.  Doubles point will be key to get.

Also of note, USC's assistant coach is Texas-Ex Liz Begley who played for Texas from 2010-2014. I think the indoor courts opened just after she graduated, so I'm sure she'll enjoy touring the facility.

SIAP/already asked this before...but what is the approx. duration of a typical Longhorn Women's tennis match (the whole team, not just a particular 1:1 match)?  We're gonna be on campus in a couple weeks and hoping our match with Stanford goes long enough that we can stop by and see 30 minutes of action or so, but it wouldn't be until the tail end.  Oldest is back into tennis again and I want to show her some great women's tennis in person (TV matches don't hold her attention---only 7yo).  THANKS@!

• 2 weeks later...

https://mutigers.com/news/2023/2/23/mizzou-announces-tennis-coaching-change.aspx

Major yikes- can't imagine what Bianca just walked into. No coaching experience and within 2 months of being an assistant HC, now you're the head coach of an SEC school.

Also interesting that Zlobinsky (played first at UT, then transferred to Wake Forest, played in the NC match against UT in 2019) is now the volunteer assistant of the UT women's team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

In other news, Bianca got her first win as a coach at Mizzou over the weekend! Not to make her job tougher but Mizzou also currently don't have indoor courts to practice and host matches as there's 'structural issues' at the facility. So far all home matches have been held in either St. Louis or Springfield, both 2 hours drive away from Columbia 😵

Guessing Ovrootsky is going to redshirt? Her wrist injury must be pretty bad for her not to play all season

Also saw that Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz of Australia is going to play for Texas next year. In my opinion, hard to say what her full capabilities are as I'm pretty sure her ITF juniors career was severely hampered by Australia's strict COVID entry and exit policies. But I'm also guessing that Tennis Australia must have thought highly as her as she got a WC to play the Australian open qualies (with a ranking in the 1000s) and has gotten three wildcards to play in the doubles Grand Slam main draw (even winning one round). Tennis Australia must have also pulled some strings to get Simona Halep to agree to be her doubles partner!

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas beats TCU. Questionable stacking going on- I don't believe Martins should be playing line 5 for TCU.

45 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Women's tennis special. 

Rivkin was leading 6-4 5-2. Proceeds to lose the next five games and then bagels her opponent in the third set.

• Like 1