You People...written by Jonah Hill/Kenya Barris with Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Nia Long, David Duchovny, and Jonah Hill (Netflix)

PenelopeWitherspoon

On 1/5/2023 at 6:24 PM, mchookem said:

looks awesome 🤣

also, i'm not sure why, but i always root for Eddie Murphy in his movies.

coincidentally he just won the Cecil B Demille award at the GG. i wasn't even expecting that lol. his acceptance speech was...perfect. because Eddie Murphy. 😄

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Not awesome, not terrible.

Was amused by the scene where Eddie is trying to get Jonah to say the full name of the in Paris song.  

had the same view of the movie. maybe a little more negative 

but really don't understand the deal when black folk try to get white folk to say the word. kinda cheap laugh. I would just say it if I was Jonah and then say Eddie was being a dick and I don't agree with the usage.  

boring. so formulaic. JLD and Eddie are way better than this material. Duchovny had potential but was barely used. also...the 'both sides' tone hit me totally wrong...one of the characters was purposely malicious, the other was just clueless/'tone deaf'. not the same, felt false/forced. very meh. 

A Fish Called Wanda Disappointed GIF - A Fish Called Wanda ...

That was very unsurprisingly an utterly terrible take from a terrible source. No surprise you found it enlightening. 

Hollywood has not lost touch with its audience or America and never has. It’s a money making machine. How much money did Avatar 2 just make? Top Gun 2? Any MCU movie? It’s not collapsing at all. Hollywood makes movies that are shitty and stupid because most people are stupid and shitty and eat it up. Rinse & repeat. 

No surprise I found it enlightening? I had no idea we were acquainted… You name a select few blockbusters as some kind of proof that Hollywood is a “Money making machine” when in fact 80% of movies released in the US lose money. I watched the movie last night and it wasn’t good. Had a couple of laughs but they were working too many angles and trying to touch too many CR bases.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

No surprise I found it enlightening? I had no idea we were acquainted… You name a select few blockbusters as some kind of proof that Hollywood is a “Money making machine” when in fact 80% of movies released in the US lose money. I watched the movie last night and it wasn’t good. Had a couple of laughs but they were working too many angles and trying to touch too many CR bases.

What CR bases specifically was it trying to touch? Your precious Breitbart article entirely ignored the fact that every black character was flawed and also learned a lesson. Ezra’s dad didn’t learn or change through the film and was one of the funnier characters. If you weren’t so busy looking for reasons to be offended you might’ve noticed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Everyone involved in this has been in a bubble so long they don't know how real people act. 

On 1/31/2023 at 8:19 AM, Revolution512 said:

Some laughs but mostly terrible. I thought Jonah’s podcast partner gave the best performance. 

Yes, she was the best part of the cast.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Yeah, watching normal people just act normally would make for great comedy. There’s a lot of valid critiques for this movie but that’s the weirdest one to me.

I don't mean that.. it's like they don't know the real world at all.  It could've been funnier and more interesting instead of cartoonish.