AFC Playoff Possible Scenarios after Bills/Bengals Cancelled Game

Vic Mackey

Felt this needed to be separated from the other thread that was all about Hamlin and his recovery. Below is some of the talked about scenarios of the Bills/Bengals game being cancelled. Wild shit as I don't believe we have ever seen this.

1. The AFC Championship Game will be played at a neutral site if the participating teams played an unequal number of games and both could have been the number one seed and hosted the game had all AFC clubs played a full 17-game regular season. Those circumstances involve Buffalo or Cincinnati qualifying for the game as a road team and are listed below:

Scenario 1

Buffalo and Kansas City both win or both tie - a Buffalo vs Kansas City championship game would be at a neutral site

Scenario 2

Buffalo and Kansas City both lose and Baltimore wins or ties - a Buffalo vs Kansas

City championship game would be at a neutral site.

Scenario 3

Buffalo and Kansas City both lose and Cincinnati wins - a Buffalo or Cincinnati vs

Kansas City championship game would be at a neutral site.

2. If Baltimore defeats Cincinnati in Week 18 it will have defeated Cincinnati, a divisional opponent, twice but will not be able to host a playoff game because Cincinnati will have a higher winning percentage for a 16-game schedule than Baltimore will for a 17-game schedule.

If Baltimore defeats Cincinnati and if those two clubs are schedule to play a Wild Card game against one another, the site for that game would be determined by a coin toss. If Cincinnati wins the Week 18 game or if Baltimore and Cincinnati are not scheduled to play one another in the Wild Card round, the game sites would be determined by the regular scheduling procedures.

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

someone with a twatter should remind Mixon he beats women 

Gee, Joe, I guess it depends if you think there is a rule that you're not supposed to hit women.

I am amazed that piece of shit was able to violate so many grammar rules in an eight-word tweet.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Since whichever neutral site NFL stadium they use will probably only be quarter to half full, and this is hopefully a one time thing, it would be cool if they play it in a smaller non-NFL venue. 

NRG Stadium it is, then.

13 hours ago, runthebone said:

Gee, Joe, I guess it depends if you think there is a rule that you're not supposed to hit women.

I am amazed that piece of shit was able to violate so many grammar rules in an eight-word tweet.

But did he lie though? Horrible precedent to set here. You can't change the rules mid season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:
Since whichever neutral site NFL stadium they use will probably only be quarter to half full, and this is hopefully a one time thing, it would be cool if they play it in a smaller non-NFL venue. 

Like DKR?

Name an NFL stadium with a larger capacity than DKR.

• Drool 1

Devils advocate. These are pro athletes and have played in hostile environments in college and the nfl. So either Buffalo and cincy might have to go into arrowhead and win to get to the Super Bowl. Buffalo damn near beat KC 2 years ago and cincy did it last year. Baltimores also a team absolutely nobody wants to face in the playoffs and that goes back 20 years.

Both teams have already defeated the chiefs this season.

AFC was going to be a blood bath regardless even before the Hamlin injury

re: the wild card

in between cincy and baltimore is heinz (60k) and the shoe (103k)

fuck the suites for the bigwigs - play the fucker at the shoe, split on each side 50% to each club - same setup as the cocktail party

re: the hunt cup game

between kc and tatonka: big house (107k), split down the middle (fair park) or sides (cocktail)

other options based on how the tournament plays out should require both teams to travel to a mid-point stadium if a clear "natural" host is not evident

i agree with the cincy coach - shenanigans

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Devils advocate. These are pro athletes and have played in hostile environments in college and the nfl. So either Buffalo and cincy might have to go into arrowhead and win to get to the Super Bowl. Buffalo damn near beat KC 2 years ago and cincy did it last year. Baltimores also a team absolutely nobody wants to face in the playoffs and that goes back 20 years.

Both teams have already defeated the chiefs this season.

AFC was going to be a blood bath regardless even before the Hamlin injury
No one is scared to face Baltimore currently. Those Flacco teams were pretty scary because he knew how to win come playoffs time and he was that way since he came into the league. Lamar Jackson is no Flacco come playoffs time. That could change at some point.

fuck the suites for the bigwigs - play the fucker at the shoe, split on each side 50% to each club - same setup as the cocktail party
between kc and tatonka: big house (107k), split down the middle (fair park) or sides (cocktail)
other options based on how the tournament plays out should require both teams to travel to a mid-point stadium if a clear "natural" host is not evident
NFL is getting too caught up in the moment. It was a scary situation and witnessed by everyone on tv but they have written rules for cancelled games. How often has an NFL been cancelled? Going to guess not often at all. They have to wipe the dust off those rules but they are there for a reason. Want to change them in the off-season? Go ahead. But to change them midseason to appease the masses is pretty busch league. Cincinnati should not be playing a neutral site game if they are declared the winner of the North.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Most D2 stadiums are smaller than Texas HS stadiums.  

Don’t be obtuse. My point was that the good people of Detroit, Indianapolis, St. Louis, etc. are not going to fill up the neutral site stadium, so it will be a few thousand fans of each team that can afford to fly out to watch. It could be a stadium with small capacity just to do something cool with this rare circumstance rather than play in an empty NFL stadium that is sterile even when there are fans. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

NFL is getting too caught up in the moment. It was a scary situation and witnessed by everyone on tv but they have written rules for cancelled games. How often has an NFL been cancelled? Going to guess not often at all. They have to wipe the dust off those rules but they are there for a reason. Want to change them in the off-season? Go ahead. But to change them midseason to appease the masses is pretty busch league. Cincinnati should not be playing a neutral site game if they are declared the winner of the North.

JFK and 9/11?

12 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Don’t be obtuse. My point was that the good people of Detroit, Indianapolis, St. Louis, etc. are not going to fill up the neutral site stadium, so it will be a few thousand fans of each team that can afford to fly out to watch. It could be a stadium with small capacity just to do something cool with this rare circumstance rather than play in an empty NFL stadium that is sterile even when there are fans. 

Cool with that idea.  That would be a MAC stadium.  

But I'm pretty sure that the largest D2 stadium in the country (Grand Valley State) seats about 10K.  

Here's what was voted the best D2 stadium in the country (seats 8500):

I67H7G5AXNEPRFATWSHCPNXYC4.jpg

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

JFK and 9/11?

The last unpunished cancellation of a regular season NFL game was a November 17, 1935, contest between the Boston Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles at Philadelphia, which was canceled due to driving rain and snow that left the field unplayable.

This is on wiki, but also heard it on multiple national broadcasts this week.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

516912.jpg?min-w=200&min-h=200&fit=crop

I just finished reading an Elmore Leonard book from the 70s where they were drinking Busch Bavarian.  I had never heard of it but it sounded classy.  The internet says they canceled it when light beer became all the rage and introduced Busch Light.

s-l400.jpg

Hearing Vegas/ Nashville or Cleveland/ Pittsburgh as possible locations for Bills/ Chiefs AFC CCG.

What a clusterfuck.  Let's go Patriots today and shitcan this stupidity.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Hearing Vegas/ Nashville or Cleveland/ Pittsburgh as possible locations for Bills/ Chiefs AFC CCG.

What a clusterfuck.  Let's go Patriots today and shitcan this stupidity.

I can't root for the Patriots, I won't root for them this game because they're playing against Buffalo.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, WBT said:

I just finished reading an Elmore Leonard book from the 70s where they were drinking Busch Bavarian.  I had never heard of it but it sounded classy.  The internet says they canceled it when light beer became all the rage and introduced Busch Light.

s-l400.jpg

Freaky Deaky?