Peyton Hillis in critical condition

Jkwellborn

Air temperature hasn’t hit 70 since Monday.

Rip currents and undertow can be really dangerous. Looks like it has been yellow flag which can be really deceiving. No idea how old his kids were but glad they were all ok. It sounded like Peyton would recover too. 

11 hours ago, jinx said:

Air temperature hasn’t hit 70 since Monday.

Rip currents and undertow can be really dangerous. Looks like it has been yellow flag which can be really deceiving. No idea how old his kids were but glad they were all ok. It sounded like Peyton would recover too. 

Yep.  Even my fatass had to be rescued by Lifeguard after getting caught up in a riptide years ago. 

Dad of some kids my kids went to elementary school with died in Florida. They were staying near seaside and he got caught in a riptide and by the time it was noticed and rescuers got to him he was having a massive MI from the exertion. Early 40’s and from what I heard fairly fit. 

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Dad of some kids my kids went to elementary school with died in Florida. They were staying near seaside and he got caught in a riptide and by the time it was noticed and rescuers got to him he was having a massive MI from the exertion. Early 40’s and from what I heard fairly fit. 

We still go parallel to the shore for that situation, right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Swim at an angle back to shore.  

Oh now you tell me.  

Was caught off gaurd, Jr and I was tossing a football in the water when I realized I couldn't touch bottom anymore, luckily Jr could and was able to walk out of riptide.  A LG was paying attention and swam out to give rescue me...  Daytona Beach 2001.  I went parasailing the next day. 

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

That’s what I was told. Never knew that before this incident though. 

Understood. A lot of people would probably panic and forget, anyway. Nature, whether currents (or moving water in general), avalanches, the physics of motorcycles, or whatever, cares not one iota about us and will ruthlessly overwhelm our fragile asses. 

Glad it worked out for you. Probably scary AF.

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
14 hours ago, wood said:
I was born at NAS Pensacola, so this really hits close to home ...

Sorry to hear that

It's all good. I got out as quickly as I could, as a 6 month old baby. Didn't get to Texas til I was in 6th grade. Finally home. Never left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

That’s what I was told. Never knew that before this incident though. 

You can do that as well.  The parallel method is what I was taught initially with the idea that you get out of the current as fast as possible or swim at an angle and you will get out as well but psychologically it might make you feel better.  

Yea generally you try to ride it out to a point where it is no longer a "struggle" to move parallel to the shore then sort of angle yourself back.  The "struggle" part doesn't necessarily mean you ride it out to the "end".  In a really strong rip even moving "sideways" initially could be a struggle and the general idea is to try not to tire yourself out fighting things.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1