The Official 118th Congress 2023-24 Thread

Bullneck

OK, McCarthy is in like Flynn and off to a flying start.

I think this warrants a new thread?  Or Henry Gandolf can just change the title of the Implosion thread and we can keep using that one?

Edited by Bullneck

• Bullneck changed the title to The Official 118th Congress 2023-24 Thread

Only thing I really care about are the bills that are must pass - what are they?

1. debt ceiling - what’s the play there - will it at least come to the floor? If so not worried, only a handful of moderates have to cross over.

2. Ukraine aid - more concern. But I think there are a handful of moderates that will cross over. Will it come to the floor?

do the rules make it easier for dems to attach these kinds of riders to bills that are bipartisan? So a vet bill, add the debt ceiling and Ukrainian aid package?

what else…?

the investigations and the show bills are going to be silly. 

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, troph said:

1. debt ceiling - what’s the play there - will it at least come to the floor? If so not worried, only a handful of moderates have to cross over.

2. Ukraine aid - more concern. But I think there are a handful of moderates that will cross over. Will it come to the floor?

1. HFC is demanding spending cuts to SS/Medicare to raise it. Biden has already said cuts are a non-starter. Senate won’t pass anything with massive cuts anyhow. Would likely take a discharge petition and 6 GOP to get a normal one passed. 

2. No. McCarthy didn’t get his Speakership without promising to slash Ukraine aid because the House GOP caucus is much more beholden to Putin and his cock puppet Trump. Ukraine will likely see no more money from us until 2025 at the earliest, if we can take back the House and keep the White House. Even if Dems lose the Senate, the Senate GOP has been much more friendly to Ukraine (Mitch didn’t oppose any of the Ukraine funding in the omnibus)

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

1. HFC is demanding spending cuts to SS/Medicare to raise it. Biden has already said cuts are a non-starter. Senate won’t pass anything with massive cuts anyhow. Would likely take a discharge petition and 6 GOP to get a normal one passed. 

2. No. McCarthy didn’t get his Speakership without promising to slash Ukraine aid because the House GOP caucus is much more beholden to Putin and his cock puppet Trump. Ukraine will likely see no more money from us until 2025 at the earliest, if we can take back the House and keep the White House. Even if Dems lose the Senate, the Senate GOP has been much more friendly to Ukraine (Mitch didn’t oppose any of the Ukraine funding in the omnibus)

Are there ways to get those issues on the floor? Seems like the R’s can be fractured. So the best way to win on those issues is to use the rules against them? Seems like Dems +5 moderate republicans? Not happening? 

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

Are there ways to get those issues on the floor? Seems like the R’s can be fractured. So the best way to win on those issues is to use the rules against them? Not happening? 

All you can do is use discharge petitions but it takes a long time. Bills stuck in committees for 30 days before you can even try to discharge them. It’s going to be a shit show that will make 2021 Texas Football look competent 

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All you can do is use discharge petitions but it takes a long time. Bills stuck in committees for 30 days before you can even try to discharge them. It’s going to be a shit show that will make 2021 Texas Football look competent 

so the new rules package doesn't allow crap to be added on the floor at the last minute? 

1 hour ago, troph said:

Only thing I really care about are the bills that are must pass - what are they?

do the rules make it easier for dems to attach these kinds of riders to bills that are bipartisan? So a vet bill, add the debt ceiling and Ukrainian aid package?

what else…?

the investigations and the show bills are going to be silly. 

Debt ceiling should only be raised with 5% across the board spending cuts (like what happened with sequestration in the Obama Admin).

Ukraine aid.  The US should not fund one penny more than the EU does.

• Fuck You 13

12 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

Debt ceiling should only be raised with 5% across the board spending cuts (like what happened with sequestration in the Obama Admin).

I didn’t ask shoulds I was asking about parliamentary procedure 

18 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

That's fine. Match EU funding and 5% spending cuts. I think Biden and company can work with that. The devil is in the details.

The Democrats are not going to agree with McCarthy's insistence to defund the police.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

The Rs are going to turbo fuck everything they can and try to pin it on Biden and the Senate.  They are not interested in governing at all. 

On the contrary, I think the Republicans looking to fuck around are going to take full credit.  Like I said in the Speaker thread, Boebert was downright gleeful when talking about fucking with the government and the House, and Gaetz was publicly willing to accept Jeffries if he couldn't get what he wanted out of McCarthy.

They want this shitshow and they want full credit for it.  They want their voters and financial backers to know they are fighting The Evil Swamp any way they can.

• Hook 'Em 1

With all due respect, the idea that GQP can't or doesn't want to govern is naive. The long-term goal is to cause chaos, instill fear, impose religion, stack the courts, seize total power (legally or otherwise), and take America backwards. Way backwards! 

By any dictionary definition: the "Freedom Caucus" is the Fascist Caucus. Founded in 2015, with origins in the Tea Party, the Fascist Caucus is little more than a legislative brigade for MAGA, Trump, and theocrats. McCarthy’s concessions only empowered the fascists even more—19 of the 20 holdouts were from the Fascist Caucus. If the data below from Wikipedia is accurate, the Fascist Caucus is gaining power/membership among Republicans in the House. 

2016: 36/241 R seats, which equals 15% of elected Republicans.

2022: 53/222 R seats, which equals 24% of elected Republicans.

Fascism is here and 40-45% of Americans are ready for it, regardless of whether the prez nominee is Trump or DeSantis. Anyone who thinks American-MAGA-GQP fascism is non-existent or going away soon is naïve. Blindingly naive. 

HFC.jpg

7 hours ago, Earl Haffler said:

Why not?  What does that have to do with anything?

Hell of a comeback there Cory. 
What's with these people's fascination with Pelosi's husband being in his underwear in the middle of the night. 

What weirdos sleep in pajamas as adults? I don’t think I’ve slept in anything but drawers since I was 5. Seems like adult pajamas would be the preference of pedos.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

this is type of stuff that the maga gqp texag crowd loves 

Well it's hilarious. An elderly man was attacked in his home in the middle of the night. So funny! And what's even funnier, is that he was partially clothed at the time. Again, in the middle of the night. Ha ha ha ha!

• Rage+1 2

22 hours ago, Macanudo said:

The Rs are going to turbo fuck everything they can and try to pin it on Biden and the Senate.  They are not interested in governing at all.

Yeah, their mission for the next two years is to block everything the Dems want to do, then go win the White House by talking about how everything is so shitty and the Dems have done nothing about it.

And it's gonna work.

And they're gonna hold all three branches for a significant time after that.  They'll get away with whatever gerrymandering and election rigging it takes to make it so.

I really want to be wrong.  Just like I want to believe Sark's the guy.  But probably not.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

What weirdos sleep in pajamas as adults? I don’t think I’ve slept in anything but drawers since I was 5. Seems like adult pajamas would be the preference of pedos.

giphy.gif

I love pajamas! And I cannot stand being cold when I sleep. I sleep in a big fleece hoodie and pajama pants in the winter.

No pedo - just a woman who is always freezing!
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, their mission for the next two years is to block everything the Dems want to do, then go win the White House by talking about how everything is so shitty and the Dems have done nothing about it.

And it's gonna work.

And they're gonna hold all three branches for a significant time after that.  They'll get away with whatever gerrymandering and election rigging it takes to make it so.

I really want to be wrong.  Just like I want to believe Sark's the guy.  But probably not.

Eh, I don't think it's going to work.  Biden is actually killing it right now and people are going to see nothing but the Rs screaming about nonsense for the next two years, since they can't do anything else.  Every election is going to be uncomfortably close going forward, but I think a majority of Americans understand the Rs are full of shit.  Election turnout is what matters.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Why not?  What does that have to do with anything?

Putin…I mean Trump…..said this all the time.   The gullible people saw this and agreed that ‘ Murica shouldn’t have to pay for all this stuff.’.  They missed the part where it was actually Putin’s agent Trump, trying to pull the US out of NATO. To Trump's credit, Trump did so much damage to our foreign relations as it relates to NATO that I have no doubt Putin was emboldened to attempt the latest Ukraine land grab.    Europe, knowing that America is a GOP sweep away from abandoning NATO - is now stepping up its financial defense obligations in a meaningful way.

Thanks, Trump.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Eh, I don't think it's going to work.  Biden is actually killing it right now and people are going to see nothing but the Rs screaming about nonsense for the next two years, since they can't do anything else.  Every election is going to be uncomfortably close going forward, but I think a majority of Americans understand the Rs are full of shit.  Election turnout is what matters.

Plus the Republicans we are talking about have made it clear they are going to publicly claim credit for everything they wreck. Boebert and Gaetz and the others have made it their mission to publicly wreck shit.

Its like Trump wanting public credit for the COVID vaccines, even though it ran counter to what his base wanted.  Narcissism is like that.  Gaetz and Boebert wanted the American public to know they were willing to destroy the GOP to get what they want.

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

giphy.gif

I love pajamas! And I cannot stand being cold when I sleep. I sleep in a big fleece hoodie and pajama pants in the winter.

No pedo - just a woman who is always freezing!

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Same people are obsessed with photos of Hunter’s dong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Please explain the rationale for the second stupid comment.    Ukraine should fall to the murdering, torturing, raping, genocidal Russians because Germany and France decides not to give any more money for whatever Germany France reasons?

America can’t have its own financial reasons for doing something, using its own financial resources, separate from Europe? I don’t know man - you sound kind of one world government to me.

In a phrase, the Ukraine is not as much our problem as Europe's.  The US does not have a responsibility to address crime, genocide, etc around the world.  Especially if we can't pay for it.  If the EU wants to step up and help their neighbor, then they can go for it.  I feel the same way about NATO.  Every member should pay in it in proportion to their GDP, rather than the US carrying the load.  Now if we can get rid of the welfare freeloaders here and generate some free cash, then let's talk.

• Fuck You 30

26 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

In a phrase, the Ukraine is not as much our problem as Europe's.  The US does not have a responsibility to address crime, genocide, etc around the world.  Especially if we can't pay for it.  If the EU wants to step up and help their neighbor, then they can go for it.  I feel the same way about NATO.  Every member should pay in it in proportion to their GDP, rather than the US carrying the load.  Now if we can get rid of the welfare freeloaders here and generate some free cash, then let's talk.

You really bought into all that Trump bullshit, didn't you?  You know he only sold out the Ukrainians so he could have a hotel in Moscow, right?  

You have your vote, and it's all the influence you'll ever have, thankfully. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:
7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

In a phrase, the Ukraine is not as much our problem as Europe's.  The US does not have a responsibility to address crime, genocide, etc around the world. 

In 3 words, no and no.  Literally the opposite.  It is just as much our problem and yes we do have the responsibility.  Welcome to the world, post WW2.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Earl Haffler said:

89668D29-BBCF-433C-A045-26C373E806D5.jpeg.61a25648aa4f2ca07825f2d2e5d469e0.jpeg

“The correct answer was “Hurr-Durr”, but the judges will also accept this answer.”

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

A policy of appeasement has worked so well on the European continent in the past, amirite?

Have you been under a rock and not heard about all of the hardware that EU countries have sent to help their neighbor?

Our support of Ukraine is probably some of the most efficient use of defense funds in the history of the US - all without a single US casualty.  OH THE HORROR!

Well, he’s likely still upset. Look at it all the money we spent in that war that freed the slaves.  That dip shit is the personification of GQP. He is totally fine with genocide so long as his tax dollars don’t go to suppressing it. I’m sure he claims to be a patriot and a Christian as well, despite being neither.  He would make a great Russian.

It is frightening that there are so many of these truly loathsome, gullible, selfish and empathy lacking assholes walking the earth. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do you think we have such a massive fucking navy and such an advanced air force because we think they look cool?

We have them in part because after WWII, we realized that we need as stable of an overall world as possible for American businesses to thrive around the globe.  While I'm oversimplifying, our larger conflicts such as Korea and Vietnam (and our lesser ones in the Americas) were in part because we thought that if we didn't slow down the commies in those places, large areas would end up falling. Sure, we like to pretend we were defending freedom, but it was much economic as anything else (and not markets for our military toys, but actual markets that we buy resources from and sell finished goods to).

The US needs stability in Europe and Asia (and the Middle East and South America) in order for our own economy to function as relatively well as it does - We are the EU's largest trading partner.

Instability in Europe fucks with our markets, and if the Russians aren't stopped in Ukraine, then I believe Putin and his mouthpieces when they say they have plans for bordering countries such as Moldova, Poland, and the Baltics, and then instead of all of our teeth-gnashing over what weapons to send them, we are sending American men and women to die, as well as potentially escalating to actual nuclear war.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952vvahycj9pbl89xtyafv

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Instability in Europe fucks with our markets, and if the Russians aren't stopped in Ukraine, then I believe Putin and his mouthpieces when they say they have plans for bordering countries such as Moldova, Poland, and the Baltics, and then instead of all of our teeth-gnashing over what weapons to send them, we are sending American men and women to die, as well as potentially escalating to actual nuclear war.

Earl - “ This does what to my 401(k)? “

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1