The Official 118th Congress 2023-24 Thread

Bullneck

Cars that were widely known to be pieces of shit in my childhood now being collectible isn't something I had on my bingo card.

I guess part of it is no one really cares if you kept the original shitty 120 HP small block from the 80s in it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Cars that were widely known to be pieces of shit in my childhood now being collectible isn't something I had on my bingo card.

I guess part of it is no one really cares if you kept the original shitty 120 HP small block from the 80s in it.

All that matters is that it impressed chicks of dubious judgment on a Saturday afternoon parked on the beach at 16-mile road.  And maybe it would impress those same 50 year old gals today......

.....goddammit, now I really gotta go find me a 87 Trans-am.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

All that matters is that it impressed chicks of dubious judgment on a Saturday afternoon parked on the beach at 16-mile road.  And maybe it would impress those same 50 year old gals today......

.....goddammit, now I really gotta go find me a 87 Trans-am.

'74 Firebird Esprit FTMFW (that was my car in HS)

EDIT:  Apparently it was a 400 cubic inch engine (not 450).  Memory was a little off.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DDD Dad said:

'74 Firebird Esprit 450 FTMFW (that was my car in HS)

Cheater.  I had to get dates while driving a 79 Mercury Marquis with a headliner that was hanging down.

And I did get dates.  Cuz high school Brisket had game (he had to, as didn't have looks, money, or a decent car).

friend had a smokey era t-top trans am with an olds in it (read: automatic, for some reason gm didn't have an automatic that fit the pontiac engine, and it's still amazing to me that each division had its own separate engine development).  biggest POS i've ever driven.  ate gas, not actually fast, t-tops leaked, engine leaked, lights barely worked, constantly in the shop.  finally caught fire outside bastrop on spring break. 

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

this is exactly what I had in hs...down to the Cragars

T/A 6.6 1978 Trans Am Cars for sale

Started working and saving for it right after I saw Smokey and the Bandit in 6th grade.

Mine was nearly an exact duplicate of the Jim Rockford car (except bronze/silver instead of gold).  Damn it could fly.

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/jim-rockfords-ideal-car-the-1974-pontiac-firebird-esprit/#:~:text=Rockford's 1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit,PontiacOpens a new window.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Remember how every last one of the Trumpkins shouted "but muh 401k!" as a core reason for their support of Trumpism?

Now, that exact same movement will happily destroy the entire global financial system, destroying everyone's 401k, all to own tha libz, and these EXACT same guys will cheer that on as well.

We are not a stupid country.  But we are ravaged by a cancer of stupidity that is going to kill the entire body.  If your body is 30% cancer -- and ours is -- you die.

The Republican Party is the first in American political history to fully empower stupidity.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Mine was nearly an exact duplicate of the Jim Rockford car (except bronze/silver instead of gold).  Damn it could fly.

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/jim-rockfords-ideal-car-the-1974-pontiac-firebird-esprit/#:~:text=Rockford's 1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit,PontiacOpens a new window.

My Dad drove a white one until about 1989.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Could you do the Rockford turnaround?

Back during the week before McCarthy finally won his coveted Speakership, Colbert was joking that the reason McCarthy wanted the position so badly was so they would have to hang an oil painting of him on the wall. As a favor, he and his staff went online to get a design for a painting from one of those AI art generators based on some words they kept seeing in the media. They plugged in “Kevin McCarthy,” “Speaker of the House,” and “chaos.” This is what he unveiled:

93165CAF-5235-4C94-BEC6-D4585108333F.thumb.jpeg.f8d2a652ff1032b652efff7d965616c0.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So debt limit expires today.  What gonna happen?

I thought nothing.  The real deadline is June or whatever?  Treasury can use extraordinary measures to avoid any default for the next 5 months. 

Why does Congress have the power to not raise the debt ceiling? If Congress enacted laws and budgets that require the Exec branch to adhere to but require new debt, the passing of the laws and budgets should be considered the approval of such debt.

If Congress doesn't want new debt, then enact new laws to reduce spending.

To be clear, I understand politically how this comes into play when different parties control different branches. And neither party wants to give up current or future power.

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ultimate fuck around and find out

Nothing that they do makes any sense…if you look at the GOP as a traditional political party and a bunch of elected officials. If you look at them as a group of social media commentators and provocateurs, then it all makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The jackass Speaker is still trying to dump Swalwell, Schiff and Omar from their committees in retaliation for impeachment, MTG/Gosar and bullshit lies. Just read an article on NBC News about it.

He can unilaterally remove Schiff and Swalwell because of the type of committee it is. 

Obviously, McCarthy needs 218 to get Omar dumped from her committee.  No Dems will vote for it. 

Spartz and Mace are both no votes. That one dude is out from falling off a ladder and he can't proxy vote after the GOP got rid of it.  

McCarthy's plans are widely seen as retaliation against Democrats for kicking Republican Reps. Paul Gosar of Arizona and Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia off their committees in the last Congress over incendiary or violent rhetoric.

“Two wrongs do not make a right,” Spartz said in her statement. “Speaker Pelosi took unprecedented actions last Congress to remove Reps. Greene and Gosar from their committees without proper due process. Speaker McCarthy is taking unprecedented actions this Congress to deny some committee assignments to the Minority without proper due process again.”

Rep. Nancy Mace, R-S.C., would also vote against booting Democrats like Omar from committees, a spokesperson said, adding that Mace intends to be consistent after having voted against removing Greene from committees

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It could be so many things, but wasn't MTG removed from committees after saying Pelosi should be put to death? Seems fair enough to me. 

why do you hate free speech?! Cancel culture!!!!!!!

If ever there was a bunch lacking self awareness…

CNN — 

Fewer than one-third of Americans believe that House GOP leaders are prioritizing the country’s most important issues, according to a new CNN Poll conducted by SSRS. Neither party’s congressional leadership earns majority approval, and Republicans are particularly likely to express discontent with their own party leadership.

Just 27% of US adults say they think Republican leaders in the House have had the right priorities so far, while 73% say they haven’t paid enough attention to the country’s most important problems. A 59% majority disapprove of the way Democratic leaders in Congress are handling their jobs overall, while a broader 67% disapprove of Republican leaders in Congress

The House voted Thursday to kick Minnesota Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar off the House Foreign Affairs Committee, a decision that Republicans vowed to take because of Omar’s history of antisemitic and anti-American remarks.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ilhan-omar-gets-boot-house-votes-off-foreign-affairs-committee-democrats-cite-racism

The resolution was approved in a 218-211 vote after a heated debate in which Democrats accused Republicans of racism and hypocrisy and claimed that the GOP is only policing Democrats for questionable behavior. Omar and several other Democrats openly accused Republicans of racism.

"I am Muslim, I am an immigrant, and interestingly, from Africa," Omar said. "Is anyone surprised that I am being targeted? Is anyone surprised that I am somehow deemed unworthy to speak about American foreign policy, or that they see me as a powerful voice that needs to be silenced?"

15 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The House voted Thursday to kick Minnesota Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar off the House Foreign Affairs Committee, a decision that Republicans vowed to take because of Omar’s history of antisemitic and anti-American remarks.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ilhan-omar-gets-boot-house-votes-off-foreign-affairs-committee-democrats-cite-racism

The resolution was approved in a 218-211 vote after a heated debate in which Democrats accused Republicans of racism and hypocrisy and claimed that the GOP is only policing Democrats for questionable behavior. Omar and several other Democrats openly accused Republicans of racism.

"I am Muslim, I am an immigrant, and interestingly, from Africa," Omar said. "Is anyone surprised that I am being targeted? Is anyone surprised that I am somehow deemed unworthy to speak about American foreign policy, or that they see me as a powerful voice that needs to be silenced?"

Lol fuck off Nancy Mace you stupid cunt. She caved 

• House Republicans removed Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar from one of her committees on Thursday.

• The party-line vote struck at least a pair of GOP members as a dumb move.

• The dejected duo called it the "stupidest vote" and panned leadership for making Omar a "martyr."

Two disillusioned House Republicans unloaded on their vengeful leadership for inadvertently making a hero out of Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar by publicly stripping her of a high-profile committee assignment in what one deemed the "stupidest vote in the world."

The not-so-private condemnation of Speaker Kevin McCarthy's campaign to remove Omar from the House Foreign Affairs panel happened after Republicans clinched the retaliatory strike on a party-line vote of 218-211.

As they rode the elevator away from the House floor, congressional newspaper Roll Call reported that Foreign Affairs Committee GOP member Ken Buck and Republican Rep. Mike Simpson reflected on what had just transpired and decided it was a boneheaded move.

After Buck decreed it the "stupidest" political move, Simpson said the expulsion would probably make the Minnesota Democrat into a "martyr."

After airing their grievances, the pair reportedly asked those around them "not to let leadership know their thoughts."

Buck and Simpson's offices did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

• Hook 'Em 1

Democrats fix Economies, Republicans fuck up good ones they are given.

Cycle has repeated it for nearly the entirety of our lives. Jimmy Carter handed off an economy on the upswing to Reagan. And Reagan and the GOP spent and borrowed like drunken sailors.  Bush got a decent economy, and kept the spending increasing as the economy faltered, but was on recovery as Clinton took office.  Economy generally kicked ass under Clinton and the rate of deficit spending actually declining. GWB inherited an economy so strong, he actually inherited a surplus.  Which Bush and the GOP quickly squandered with rebate checks rather than bay down any of the debt mostly accumulated with GOP Presidential signatures, 

Bush doesn't really read his Presidential daily Briefings, and a simple, inexpensive and successful terror operation brings us 9/11. Wholesale spending Giving away huge chunks of wasted security money to states as more largesse, lacking in strategic purpose, deficit spending again explodes under a Republican President. Bush's administrations passion for home ownership and disdain for Regulation spawns housings crises, and additional monies borrowed as shit economy collapsing is handed off to Obama.  Obama immediately forced into additional deficit spending trying to fix the mess that was not properly addressed of fixed.  After 8 years the strongest economy every handed off to a President was handed off to Donald J Trump. 

Republicans again spent like Drunken sailors massively increasing the deficit with the usual tax cut falsely labeled "The Tax Cut and Jobs Act," again exponentially exploding deficit spending. Again in a time of relative plenty.  In the two years leading up to Trump taking the oath of office the Obama/Biden Administration produced and average of 2.53 million jobs a year.  Trump and the GOP producing nothing but debt with their legislation.  With jobs falling to 2.03 million the first year, 2.44 million the next year, and 2.03 million ending in January as covid began to rise.

Trump hands off a debt laden piece of shit economy to Biden. With the added bonus of a covid disaster and SPECIFIC and PURPOSEFUL obstruction of communication regarding covid and vaccines was also handed off to Biden.  Biden humps for two years. Solves the cluster fuck (and it was massive) that was a lack of any actual physical distribution plan for the covid vaccine and has created so many jobs it is mind boggling.  Now the GOP it again simply trying to fuck the economy so they can get a shot at 2024.

McCarthy and the GOP have no fucking plan at all.  their plan is the same as their healthcare plan.  Lie like fuck that you have some ideas, and attack, attack, attack anything constructive that could be gained from compromise.  They are quite simply non-patriotic whores for power. Nothing more and nothing less. They are devoid af any actual ideas. We will be waiting forever for the GOP Healthcare plan.  Just like we will be waiting forever for a budget that truly encompasses what the GOP believes.  Because... what they believe the MAJORITY of the country if fucking dead set against. 

stepping angrily down off soap box.  Because everything I said is factual, and I could never get any Trump supporter to admit any of these facts as true... and that's sad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4