2023 Longhorns Football Offseason News and Notes

LTtxfan

48 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

The latest information on new arrivals to the Texas Longhorns football program, the health of a key figure in Texas’ 2023 fortunes, and more details on player driven competition in offseason team notes.

Isaiah Neyor’s Timeline

Barring a surprising setback this appears to be the timeline for Isaiah Neyor returning to full duty:

Currently: He’s doing light straight-line sprints, some agility/change of direction but nowhere close to full speed, and plyometrics that should help regain strength in his knee.

March or April: The hope is he’ll be cleared to suit out and participate in some conditioning while taking mental reps this spring, but he’s not expected to participate during contact periods. 

Summer: Ramp up to August with more intense route running and participation in 7 on 7 and other passing sessions.

August: Fully cleared to return.

Obviously this isn’t set in stone. There seems to be no urgency to rush him back to the field with a big positive being he already knows the playbook. There’s also confidence he’ll continue to put in extra work to get healthy. The No. 1 goal is for him to regain any lost confidence in his cutting ability.

It’s too early to know if he’ll return to his level of play pre-injury but there’s certainly a lot of optimism he will.

New Arrivals

Cornerback Malik Muhammad was singled out. This will come as no surprise who people paid attention to what was written about his mental evaluation. It’s clear to those around the program he’s excited to be there, that he’s energetic, fully engaged, and embraces the grind.

Wide receiver Johntay Cook was also mentioned for his explosiveness. It should be pointed out they’re doing agility work rather than route running and “football stuff” but he looks good and it’s clear he’s a stud when it comes to short area burst.

Transfers Jalen Catalon and Gavin Holmes are also happy to be there. It’s clear they’re experienced. Holmes is fast and light on his feet. Catalon’s moving great and his reputation precedes itself. Everyone assumes Catalon will start at boundary safety.

The Holmes/Terrance Brooks battle will be one to watch. Brooks is physical but needs to become more consistent on the field. Holmes’ experience will be an advantage.

As of now the coaches seem more concerned with getting the younger players in the swing of things from an S&C standpoint. They’ll start increasing the mental workload in the coming weeks.

We’ll check in on the ‘bigs’ later in the week.

Similar competition to last year

It worked well last year so the staff has brought back the player draft where 10 teams are led by team leaders identified by the S&C staff. Those leaders draft their team, including a co-leader. You may remember there is an athletic component to this, but the main purpose is to motivate and track player accountability. To underline it’s much more about accountability than athleticism, we’ll remind you that Bijan Robinson drafted as many walk-ons as he could last year. Smart.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not sure I agree with the strategy of a bunch of the walk-ons all on one Team. Spread the walk-ons out on different teams.

Several scholarship players last winter might have benefited more by being on Bijan's team during S&C training...

Not sure I agree with the strategy of a bunch of the walk-ons all on one Team. Spread the walk-ons out on different teams.
Several scholarship players last winter might have benefited more by being on Bijan's team during S&C training...

Guess I missed all these teams last year. I’d be curious to see who the captains were and who they chose. Do you have any recollection of articles regarding team breakdowns and whatever results were?

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Guess I missed all these teams last year. I’d be curious to see who the captains were and who they chose. Do you have any recollection of articles regarding team breakdowns and whatever results were?

Not sure... if you are on IT ask over there and they'll let yah know who captained the S&C teams in 2022.

Found this on S&C last year (Jan 2022)

And this Feb 2022 tweet about lifting...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Texas Football Orange-White Game presented by Texas One Fund set for April 15

spring_game_fans.jpg&height=460&width=76

Spring Game admission is FREE as part of the annual ‘Made in Austin Weekend’

Texas Athletics is proud to announce the annual 'Made in Austin Weekend' will be held April 14-16 on The University of Texas campus. Events feature a variety of fan experiences that celebrates what makes Austin so unique: live music, specialty food and beverage offerings, live art installations, and -- most importantly -- the Texas Longhorns!

Events are centered around the annual Texas Football Orange-White Game, presented by Texas One Fund , on Saturday, April 15 at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium at Campbell-Williams Field. Bevo Blvd presented by H-E-B, Smokey's Midway, and Hook 'Em Hangout are all slated to open at 9 a.m. with kick-off scheduled at 1 p.m.  The spring game will be the first glimpse for fans to see the Longhorns in action before the 2023 season opener against Rice on Saturday, Sept. 2. 

More fan activities will be announced in the coming months including a special edition of Longhorn City Limits presented by Still Austin Whiskey.  All events surrounding the Orange-White Game are FREE admission. 

The 2022 NCAA Championship runner-up Texas Softball team will host the Kansas Jayhawks at McCombs Field all weekend long!  In addition, the back-to-back national championship Rowing and Women's Tennis teams, NCAA Top-10 finisher Men's Tennis, and Big 12 Champion Soccer team will all be in action at home.   

Visit TexasSports.com and follow @TexasLonghorns on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for exciting updates as additional 'Made in Austin Weekend' details are revealed.  

2023 Football Season Ticket Deposits Are Moving Fast! 

For those looking to join us at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium next season,  season ticket deposits are now on sale!    For $199 per seat, fans with deposits will get to select seats during the official seat selection process in loyalty rank order.  If you've ever wanted to lock in your spot, now is the time to do so.  

About Texas One Fund

Through the generosity of donors, brands, and fans, the Texas One Fund promotes charitable causes and events through partnerships with University of Texas student-athletes and in turn support access to charitable name, image, and likeness for these athletes, unlocked through participation.  (More Information

https://texassports.com/news/2023/1/25/texas-football-orange-white-game-presented-by-texas-one-fund-set-for-april-15.aspx

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

How gd hard is it to park where you are supposed to and when you are supposed to?

When there are roughly 60-100 parking passes issued for every parking spot on campus.. pretty goddamn hard. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 1/26/2023 at 9:30 AM, LTtxfan said:

Wasn't Keilan said to be a leader???     Geez

That is leadership with guys getting suspended and boots on their cars, dumb guys punching their cars breaking their hands. Fuck the UTParkin man.

The schedule has been released unofficially. It's been discussed on the "Left Behind" thread, but I fail to see how it doesn't apply here, if not on its own thread. 

9/2: Rice

9/9: @Alabama

9/16: Wyoming

9/23: @Baylor

9/30: Kansas

10/7: vs. Oklahoma (Dallas)

10/14: Bye

10/21: @Houston

10/28: BYU

11/4: KSU

11/11: @TCU

11/18: @Iowa State

11/24: Texas Tech (Friday)

10 games within the state of Texas. Fuck UH. A chance to move the record with BYU up to 2-4. We don't get weakened OSU, WVU teams, but we also avoid decent Cincinnati and UCF programs. I like how the schedule sets up, personally. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The schedule has been released unofficially. It's been discussed on the "Left Behind" thread, but I fail to see how it doesn't apply here, if not on its own thread. 

10 games within the state of Texas. Fuck UH. A chance to move the record with BYU up to 2-4. We don't get weakened OSU, WVU teams, but we also avoid decent Cincinnati and UCF programs. I like how the schedule sets up, personally. 

If we go worse than 10-2 thru that schedule then somebody fucked up.

• Hook 'Em 3

Honestly, Bama’s a L but otherwise the schedule sets up well. I like the bye after OU, gives the chance to regroup right at the middle of the year, off an emotional game, and going into what will likely be the decisive games of the conference season. November is tough though.

I've always supported the Big 12 more than most songs here, but done with them and will shit on them along with others from now on. I mean we knew they'd send Texas to Houston but fuck them for doing it. I would say I hope Texas fans vandalize the campus but that would only improve it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I've always supported the Big 12 more than most songs here, but done with them and will shit on them along with others from now on. I mean we knew they'd send Texas to Houston but fuck them for doing it. I would say I hope Texas fans vandalize the campus but that would only improve it.

The officiating will be lovely, I'm sure.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Fuck yeah let's curb stomp cougar high. Fuck Dana Holgorsen. 

The big 12 is a bunch of gutless pussies. They should have not scheduled the Shootout and candles and laughed at us. I mean, in for a penny in for a pound you spineless pricks. IF I was in the conference office this would have been my schedule for texas:

@- UCF, BYU, UH, TCU, Tech

Home- WVU, Baylor, Iowa State, K State 

that would have been a proper middle finger. As is the schedule sets up just fine for us next year. Show me a loss maybe even. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas has an excellent shot to beat Bama in Tuscaloosa. Outside of that one, they should be favored in every game. 

Look, I get it, Texas has had a miserable 13 years. You're a conservative fan and you want to hedge against being optimistic given recent past. I see a group of you doing so. I don't blame any of you, given Seven Loss Steve's track record. 

That said, this isn't about giving someone the benefit of the doubt, making predictions, or not giving someone the benefit of the doubt. This is about being realistic and calling things for what they are.

Texas added 4 players from the portal that materially upgrade the roster at 4 key positions of need. Texas lost no one of planned 2023 consequence. Texas retained all key personnel from hitting the portal and then convinced three (Sweat, Whittington, Jones) high quality starters to come back rather than pursue the NFL, as well as one key role player (KRob). Texas will have an OL and a backup OL with a full new cycle and offseason of experience playing together. The talented QB will have another year in the system and a year of added maturity. Neyor will be back. The roster has raised the floor considerably via recruiting and portal. 

The schedule is favorable to say the least. Rice, Wyoming, Kansas, UH, TCU and OU should all be wins on talent and experience alone. Baylor is a weakening program under a soft coach. That leaves BYU at home, an improving Tech program at home, and a KSU team taking a step back on talent, at home, and an Iowa State team regressing to its historical mean late in November in Ames.

There is zero reason to not expect 10-2 or better. Texas can absolutely run the table this season and make the playoffs. There are no less than 20 coaches in CFB right now who could take this Texas team and get that done with this roster and schedule. So you're either assuming that Steve Sarklostagain is either so toxic as a gameday coach that he simply cannot get it done to that level; willfully ignorant; or you squat to pee. 

Does any of that mean people should get their hopes up? If that's how they fan, yeah. If not, they can objectively acknowledge where the expectations should be, in Year 3, and then state that they expect to be disappointed.  

I agree with 99% of this. If running the table means 12-0, even at a 90% chance in each game, that’s less than a 1 in 3 shot. Sometimes your survive the fuckup game in Missouri like UGA did and sometimes you don’t. 

Barring a rash of injuries of biblical proportions, or an injured QB and utter failure at backup, I suppose, two conference losses would be pretty hard to justify. 

23 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Barring a rash of injuries, or an injured QB and failure at backup, two conference losses would be hard to justify. 

2023 team needs to continue improving.

Especially interested to watch Quinn's development, how our pass rush problems get fixed, the work on LB & Safeties pass coverages, and WTF we are doing to generate more turnovers...

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas has an excellent shot to beat Bama in Tuscaloosa. Outside of that one, they should be favored in every game. 

Look, I get it, Texas has had a miserable 13 years. You're a conservative fan and you want to hedge against being optimistic given recent past. I see a group of you doing so. I don't blame any of you, given Seven Loss Steve's track record. 

That said, this isn't about giving someone the benefit of the doubt, making predictions, or not giving someone the benefit of the doubt. This is about being realistic and calling things for what they are.

Texas added 4 players from the portal that materially upgrade the roster at 4 key positions of need. Texas lost no one of planned 2023 consequence. Texas retained all key personnel from hitting the portal and then convinced three (Sweat, Whittington, Jones) high quality starters to come back rather than pursue the NFL, as well as one key role player (KRob). Texas will have an OL and a backup OL with a full new cycle and offseason of experience playing together. The talented QB will have another year in the system and a year of added maturity. Neyor will be back. The roster has raised the floor considerably via recruiting and portal. 

The schedule is favorable to say the least. Rice, Wyoming, Kansas, UH, TCU and OU should all be wins on talent and experience alone. Baylor is a weakening program under a soft coach. That leaves BYU at home, an improving Tech program at home, and a KSU team taking a step back on talent, at home, and an Iowa State team regressing to its historical mean late in November in Ames.

There is zero reason to not expect 10-2 or better. Texas can absolutely run the table this season and make the playoffs. There are no less than 20 coaches in CFB right now who could take this Texas team and get that done with this roster and schedule. So you're either assuming that Steve Sarklostagain is either so toxic as a gameday coach that he simply cannot get it done to that level; willfully ignorant; or you squat to pee. 

Does any of that mean people should get their hopes up? If that's how they fan, yeah. If not, they can objectively acknowledge where the expectations should be, in Year 3, and then state that they expect to be disappointed.  

This season screams 10-2 at a minimum. That counts a fuckup where we lose a game we shouldn’t. 
the roster is better than everyone on our schedule (including Bama). We aren’t breaking in any freshmen at key positions except maybe Hill at LB. We don’t play anyone particularly good (other than Bama) and 10 of our other 11 games are within a 3 hour bus ride of campus. 

OU is imploding and coached by morons. We face zero high level QB’s. We face zero 4 year starter types at QB I believe. We even have a failsafe as backup QB that’s a 5 star technically procuring frosh in case our starter goes down. 
Basically, this set up is essentially idiot proof. I think Sark is a really good offensive mind but if he can’t get it done with this roster against this schedule it won’t ever happen. 
Bring On the blindfolds and cigarettes this year will determine the trajectory of our program for the next 10. 
I’m so excited, I’m so excited I’m so… scared. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

2023 team needs to continue improving.

Especially interested to watch Quinn's development, how our pass rush problems get fixed, the work on LB & Safeties pass coverages, and WTF we are doing to generate more turnovers...

Yeah, but every team, unit, coach, and player should be trying to improve, always. 

Ewers needs to improve, but he knows that and the coaches know that. I’m hopeful that additional guys who can be threats will help with that, too. 

Pass rush wasn’t bad at all. Finishing with sacks on top of the pressures would be nice and almost certainly help with the turnovers and making the 3d and 4th down frustrations less of an issue. 

They’re not going to roll out there 2005-style, but there should be enough time in the system and depth to take a big step up this season. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

I actually agree with your analysis in that I do think Texas should be favored in every game outside of Alabama. I very much see the path for Texas to be very good next year. I’m just saying the difference between 10-2 and 9-3 is borderline arbitrary if you qualify for the conference championship game.