CFP National Championship Game: #1 Georgia vs #3 TCU.

FartingDreamer

48 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Imagine this year's playoffs with TCU #4 where they belonged instead of artificially preventing a Big 10 rematch in the first round. 

TCU gets crushed in the first round. 

Michigan - OSU is a good game

Championship is a good game 

There is no justification for having Michigan-Ohio State get immediately run back after the Wolverines whipped OSU's asses in Columbus in the final regular season game of the season. You have to split them up or remove Ohio State from the equation.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Imagine this year's playoffs with TCU #4 where they belonged instead of artificially preventing a Big 10 rematch in the first round. 

TCU gets crushed in the first round. 

Michigan - OSU is a good game

Championship is a good game 

Artificially preventing?  You had three conference champs and OSU.   And, what would have ended differently?  TCU beat Michigan, who beat OSU, who barely lost to Georgia.   So Georgia curb stomping TCU negates everything else?    By that logic imagine how much Georgia would have pisspounded Michigan in the championship game after they took out the Buckeyes, again.

4 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Artificially preventing?  You had three conference champs and OSU.   And, what would have ended differently?  TCU beat Michigan, who beat OSU, who barely lost to Georgia.   So Georgia curb stomping TCU negates everything else?    By that logic imagine how much Georgia would have pisspounded Michigan in the championship game after they took out the Buckeyes, again.

I agree with you but TCU was not a conference champ. (Don't me started on the stupidity of having a conference championship game in a league that plays a true round robin.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

There is no justification for having Michigan-Ohio State get immediately run back after the Wolverines whipped OSU's asses in Columbus in the final regular season game of the season. You have to split them up or remove Ohio State from the equation.

Or—hear me out— most years the CFP does not make for a better outcome.  Should have been Georgia - Michigan for the championship and OSu and TCU get a good bowl game. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

For one thing, if you're in the top 7% of your high school class, at a highly competitive high school, why are you looking at UT? 

What the actual fuck is wrong with you?

1. Plan II Honors Program

2. Top-3 rated undergraduate program in my chosen career (Computer Science)

3. Legit music program (not my top choice, but then, never planned on music for a career)

4. Didn't get accepted to Stanford, the only other school that was as good as Texas at the things I was interested in.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I was about to say, TCU got good right as the conference started to fall apart. It was too bad we took Baylor instead of them. Metroplex > Waco

They did not. They won seven and six games the last two years of the SWC and had three plus .500 wins in the 11 seasons before that. Then they promptly went 4-7 and 1-10 in the WAC. Says more about the miserable state of the SWC than the Frogs’ trajectory.

They turned things around by hiring Fran well after being relegated. 

1 hour ago, Gravy Train said:

Stetson Bennett <=> John Parker Wilson

Don't give Kirby Smart that much credit, even if he has all the Saban blackmail one might hope for.  Florida is the farthest he's able to successfuly recruit from.

That Freshman DL from Denton looked better than decent.

4 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

How is the possible or allowed.  Sec sets themselves up so much, I can’t wait for out of conference games vs a&m kingsville when they tell us to schedule like this….  🙄

We had OU in Norman scheduled, but the SEC asked us to cancel it due to the impending expansion. So we had to replace them with another program that had an opening on that date and Ball State was apparently available. 

It does suck. We played Clempson in Charlotte last year and Oregon in Atlanta this year. This is in addition to the GT rivalry and the UF game in Jax every year. 

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

What the actual fuck is wrong with you?

1. Plan II Honors Program

2. Top-3 rated undergraduate program in my chosen career (Computer Science)

3. Legit music program (not my top choice, but then, never planned on music for a career)

4. Didn't get accepted to Stanford, the only other school that was as good as Texas at the things I was interested in.

Over 20 years after graduating UT I’m still trying to figure out what the fuck Plan II is.  Obviously I wasn’t smart enough for them to tell me about it ha ha.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yes, artificially preventing. At the end of the season OSU had better wins and their 1 loss was to Michigan VS KState. Objectively. OSU should have been 3rd, but nobody wanted a rematch.

As for what would have ended differently? You never know, but I suspect we wouldn't have had the worst championship game in the BCS CFP Era. 

10 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Yes, artificially preventing. At the end of the season OSU had better wins and their 1 loss was to Michigan VS KState. Objectively. OSU should have been 3rd, but nobody wanted a rematch.

As for what would have ended differently? You never know, but I suspect we wouldn't have had the worst championship game in the BCS CFP Era. 

Ohio State had just lost to Michigan, on their own field, by three touchdowns. There’s nothing objective about your claim. 

Teams who were better than TCU this season:

Georgia

Alabama

Tennessee

Ohio State

Michigan

Penn State

Washington

USC

Clemson

Florida State

Debatable: Kansas State (4 losses, but really should've won both games against TCU)

So that puts TCU at 11 or 12.  And that sounds about right.

• Like 3

We had OU in Norman scheduled, but the SEC asked us to cancel it due to the impending expansion. So we had to replace them with another program that had an opening on that date and Ball State was apparently available. 

It does suck. We played Clempson in Charlotte last year and Oregon in Atlanta this year. This is in addition to the GT rivalry and the UF game in Jax every year. 
This is kind of the point. No true road games. They aren't going into Clemson or going up to Oregon. Florida is in a neutral site but I'll give them that because it's always been like that at least as long as I can remember. Bama does the same stuff.

Wait till they expand the field, all the round 1 games will be close because all the teams have a month to prepare, if they have a upset like tcu over Michigan you will see a ton of blowouts in round 2 and beyond as the prep time is shortened to 6 days. Kudos to tcu but they barely beat smu, Texas, Baylor and others. They weren’t dominate and this had blowout written all over it. 65-7. Hahaha I’d rather not make it than get blown the fuck out. My only wish was that it was aggy and not tcu.

Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Washington
USC
Clemson
Florida State
Debatable: Kansas State (4 losses, but really should've won both games against TCU)

Yep. Big 12 was dogshit this year. They took advantage. A true playoff system would have exposed them very early. They don't even sniff a conference championship in any other conference this year that is a p5. As others keep saying, they had so many horseshoes up their ass this year. They have the talent of a 7-5 team but played way over their heads.

The other thing is how does Michigan feel? They allowed that team to run up the score on them? Embarrassing. Had Michigan won that game, we would have gotten a similar result. Not as bad as that probably but definitely the beatdown Georgia gave them last year.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wait till they expand the field, all the round 1 games will be close because all the teams have a month to prepare, if they have a upset like tcu over Michigan you will see a ton of blowouts in round 2 and beyond as the prep time is shortened to 6 days. Kudos to tcu but they barely beat smu, Texas, Baylor and others. They weren’t dominate and this had blowout written all over it. 65-7. Hahaha I’d rather not make it than get blown the fuck out. My only wish was that it was aggy and not tcu.
The best result would have been TCU losing a close, thrilling game to Michigan. No one would have blamed them. Patted them on the back and told them they had a great year. TCU could have always said what might have been had they gotten to play Georgia (even though any one with a brain knew what would happen).

Last night took all the shine off the season. That Michigan win now means nothing. The most embarrassing loss in national championship history and it could have been worse if Georgia was even trying at the end to score.

What's even more embarrassing is this conference allowed them to run the table to even get to this point. Michigan allowed TCU to run up and down the field on them.

Games will usually be competitive when you have a month to prepare. Upsets happen because of that, not always but Theresa greater chance when you have that much time to prepare especially in football. Basketball and baseball will be different. Ohio st has the athletes and style to hang with Georgia and I think Georgia played one of their worst games ever and got refocused and blew their brains out last night.

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Or—hear me out— most years the CFP does not make for a better outcome.  Should have been Georgia - Michigan for the championship and OSu and TCU get a good bowl game. 

I think it should improve as it's opened up a little. At least it clears things up, giving auto-berths to the conference champs and then filling in with at-large entries.

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

They did not. They won seven and six games the last two years of the SWC and had three plus .500 wins in the 11 seasons before that. Then they promptly went 4-7 and 1-10 in the WAC. Says more about the miserable state of the SWC than the Frogs’ trajectory.

They turned things around by hiring Fran well after being relegated. 

Correct. TCU was not on an upward trajectory at the birth of the Big 12. But, yes, the Metroplex >>>>>> Waco.

45 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Ohio State had just lost to Michigan, on their own field, by three touchdowns. There’s nothing objective about your claim. 

This. Ohio State got their shot -- and blew it famously. That they should've beaten Georgia in their mulligan did not mean the mulligan was justified.

24 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Georgia

Alabama

Tennessee

Ohio State

Michigan

Penn State

Washington

USC

Clemson

Florida State

If you're gonna put USC on that list, you'd better add Tulane but I think TCU would've been able to hang with -- or beaten -- most of the teams on this list. But the Frogs were shellacked last night for sure.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. Big 12 was dogshit this year. They took advantage. A true playoff system would have exposed them very early. They don't even sniff a conference championship in any other conference this year that is a p5. As others keep saying, they had so many horseshoes up their ass this year. They have the talent of a 7-5 team but played way over their heads.

The other thing is how does Michigan feel? They allowed that team to run up the score on them? Embarrassing. Had Michigan won that game, we would have gotten a similar result. Not as bad as that probably but definitely the beatdown Georgia gave them last year.

It was not dogshit. It was full of good, not great teams. Objectively, it was the best conference top-to-bottom in college football this year. TCU just got an inordinate amount of good fortune either through injured opposing QB's or miraculous comebacks. The SEC and Big 10 were extremely top-heavy (as always).

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, Cajun said:
What an absolute embarrassment that was last night.  Not only did they not belong on that field, I’ve never seen quit quite like that.
Ever.

OU/USC 05' championship game was a lot like last night.

Nebraska-Florida in 1996 or so was about as bad as I remember seeing before last night.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

motherfucker

50 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It was not dogshit. It was full of good, not great teams. Objectively, it was the best conference top-to-bottom in college football this year. TCU just got an inordinate amount of good fortune either through injured opposing QB's or miraculous comebacks. The SEC and Big 10 were extremely top-heavy (as always).

What was the big 12 bowl record again?

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

NSIAP 

your ass is prepared for this shit for fucking 365 days i think about them fuckers in that locker room think about getting our opportunity all the shit you went through this week to get ready for this game now is when you pay the fucking price.

you go out there with energy enthusiasm they got.. 
aint nobody in this room should be cautious
aint nobody in this room should be nervous about shit
go out here and fuck their ass up
don't think about scoreboard
don't think about SHIT
you think about KNOCKING THE SHIT of them
did you hear what box said on monday, WHEN I SAT IN THAT FUCKING MEETING I WANTED TO GO FUCKIN PLAY RIGHT THEN 
TORE THEIR SHIT UP OUT HERE
two years ago 
FUCK THEIR SHIT UP
god damn pride and joy
tell me you fuck these guys up
you gonna play the right way you play the right way you knock their ass off you stay off the fucking ground you tackle the fucking man with the ball 
THE SHITS EASY
LOOK AT THE RIGHT SHIT
PUNISH THEIR ASS ON OFFENSE
AND KICK THEIR ASS ON SPECIAL TEAMS GUYS
THIS IS ABOUT WHO THE FUCK WE ARE 
I BELIEVE IN YOU 
LETS GO

and that's exactly what they did.

Vandy is such an outlier it carries all the water for that conference. Look at acceptance rates and sat avg without vandy factored in. A&M is their 3rd best school. Gtfo

WTF does this have to do with fucking football players? Do you think this is the Ivy League? D3 1000 student small colleges? This is big time football. The student part is just an irritation. They are paid money to play. Do you really give a shit if your football players have a great SAT or actually earn their kinesiology degree? No one else does.
  • Hook 'Em 1