CFP National Championship Game: #1 Georgia vs #3 TCU.

FartingDreamer

19 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

This is Nebraska Florida 1996, ultimately, except people thought Florida could win that game.  

Notwithstanding talent where there was already a huge gap, Georgia’s offensive scheme is a horrible matchup for TCU’s defense more than others.  

Matchups are real. Texas beat Georgia largely because Texas that year was horrible defending misdirection and spread offenses and Georgia was pro style and down the middle.  We won. That Georgia offense was a great matchup for our defense.  

Still, TCU got gigged early and didn’t wake up.  As well as they were prepared for Michigan, they were just happy to be there for Georgia and that’s on Dykes and his staff.  I was thinking 38-13 or something like that.  And I think most of the time when the avalanche/snowball effect of championship momentum isn’t coming into play, that’s probably the right score between these teams.  Still a huge gap. 

I don't think any of the game was on Dykes. The talent discrepancy was massive and we usually don't see that in the championship game. Even Notre Dame wasn't that outmatched. I think this TCU is less talented than Cincy and UCF. And the older Boise St teams. No way TCU was holding Georgia to only 38. And no way was TCU scoring as often as Georgia could. Georgia could have started every drive on their own 1 and scored every time. TCU's lone scoring drive was because of a busted coverage for a long pass. That drive cut the score to 10-7 and gave a lot of false hope that TCU was going to continue their horseshoe up their ass type ways. Except they aren't playing Big 12 trash any longer.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Depends. Is the 13-2 a fluke where you regress to a .500 team? Would you have preferred Baylor’s previous season given how this season went? Is the 8-5 a step toward 10-3 toward more or is it another in a string of mediocre seasons? Ideally, you don’t trade one year of lightning in a bottle for building a better foundation, but there’s no way to know whether either is true at this point. 

In retrospect, if I were a TCU fan, I’d rather lose a street brawl to Michigan to validate that we belonged rather than win it and then become a punchline. We don’t get to operate in retrospect, though. 

If you're a team with no realistic belief that you will get back to the playoffs again in the next 30 years you go for as deep of a run as you can get, take your ass beating and like it.  You're never going back so it don't make a shit.

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

If you're a team with no realistic belief that you will get back to the playoffs again in the next 30 years you go for as deep of a run as you can get, take your ass beating and like it.  You're never going back so it don't make a shit.

Yeah, like I said, we don’t get to operate in retrospect. Better to be there rolling the dice even if you end up a punchline. You’re in above your weight already, go in swinging like Hearns against Hagler. Maybe you land something. Maybe you end up on your back staring at the sky. 

Humiliation is always bad. If TCU looked a little liked they belonged, they could have sold the loss as a net positive: playing for it all. But they didn't look like they played for it all; they looked like they showed up where someone was supposed to play for it all.

No one except UGA is the NC, but there are over 100 FBS teams that are not the butt of all manner of jokes today and for years to come. In next year's (and many more) run up to the playoff selection, people won't be mocking Texas for ***ing the bed when we got our chance in '22.

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I'm not changing the argument because seasons don't occur in a vacuum. That's like "Hey, look at this great stock I picked this year! Up 75% and yours is only up 8%!" Let's ignore that the stock tanked the next and lost the gains while I only got 8% again.

If all you're asking is "Ignore the whys and the processes and what's going on at the two places is 12-3 better than 8-5?" Well, yeah. That's a trivial question. The more fundamental question is would you swap the 8-5 team's status for the 12-3 one's? I wouldn't swap programs or rosters with TCU.

What has next years team won? Have they gone to the Big12 championship? Have they won a playoff game? Sure it looks better on paper than TCU's team but what the shit does that make? Our team looked better on paper this year than TCU, we were even favored to beat them. TCU didn't look like a 12-0 team on paper this year. BU didn't look like a Big 12 championship team on paper before last season. I'm about as optimistic as I can be about next years team & I'm stuck at wondering if we'll win 10 or if we'll find a way to screw up a couple of wins again. If you could guarantee future success then sure, let's slog through it, but since you can't, I think I'll take actual on the field success instead of dreaming of next year every single offseason.

34 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Humiliation is always bad. If TCU looked a little liked they belonged, they could have sold the loss as a net positive: playing for it all. But they didn't look like they played for it all; they looked like they showed up where someone was supposed to play for it all.

No one except UGA is the NC, but there are over 100 FBS teams that are not the butt of all manner of jokes today and for years to come. In next year's (and many more) run up to the playoff selection, people won't be mocking Texas for ***ing the bed when we got our chance in '22.

oh man, random people on the internets are going to be sharing mean memes about TCU? Only UGA has a leg to stand on and make fun of TCU because everyone else had a loss or 2 & didn't make it. People won't be mocking Texas because we didn't matter in '22. Being completely irrelevant is worse in my book than getting blown out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, hook me said:

What has next years team won? Have they gone to the Big12 championship? Have they won a playoff game? Sure it looks better on paper than TCU's team but what the shit does that make? Our team looked better on paper this year than TCU, we were even favored to beat them. TCU didn't look like a 12-0 team on paper this year. BU didn't look like a Big 12 championship team on paper before last season. I'm about as optimistic as I can be about next years team & I'm stuck at wondering if we'll win 10 or if we'll find a way to screw up a couple of wins again. If you could guarantee future success then sure, let's slog through it, but since you can't, I think I'll take actual on the field success instead of dreaming of next year every single offseason.

If you need success to be guaranteed before you can evaluate the relative positions and think that one is more favorable than another then, sure, take whatever you can get today. 

A TCU team goes from 5-7 to losing in the national championship game and y'all are trying to paint it that maybe they'd been better off not going. Lol.

I think a big factor is the time between games. TCU had a month to get ready for Michigan. They had a week to recover and get ready for Georgia. Yes, but teams had slugfests in the semis, but Georgia is much better equipped to bounce back from that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Secrant:

Coincidence? In the 2020 presidential election the states of Texas, Ohio, and Alabama

Posted on 1/10/23 at 11:07 am
up vote10down vote128
bkm1.png
All voted for trump  

Georgia voted for Biden  

Since then, Georgia has won back-to-back national titles, beating the life out of TCU (Texas), Ohio State (Ohio), and Alabama (Alabama). In that order. 

Coincidence? 

Nope 

Water seeks its own levels and winners resonate with winners. 

Georgia keeps winning and so does Joe Biden! 

hmmm.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Secrant:

Coincidence? In the 2020 presidential election the states of Texas, Ohio, and Alabama

Posted on 1/10/23 at 11:07 am
up vote10down vote128
bkm1.png
All voted for trump  

Georgia voted for Biden  

Since then, Georgia has won back-to-back national titles, beating the life out of TCU (Texas), Ohio State (Ohio), and Alabama (Alabama). In that order. 

Coincidence? 

Nope 

Water seeks its own levels and winners resonate with winners. 

Georgia keeps winning and so does Joe Biden! 

hmmm.

6-E3-AB9-A7-3782-4-E74-987-E-6-D70-A0132

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

There are 128 FCS teams that would give their left nut to have had the chance to get bitch slapped last night.

Reminds me of 2001 when everyone thought Miami would bitch slap whom ever got to the MNC game. Well we were cheering like crazy to make it there before Brown, GDGD and Simms put an end to the dream.

17 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
21 hours ago, Tomatillo said:
We had OU in Norman scheduled, but the SEC asked us to cancel it due to the impending expansion. So we had to replace them with another program that had an opening on that date and Ball State was apparently available. 

It does suck. We played Clempson in Charlotte last year and Oregon in Atlanta this year. This is in addition to the GT rivalry and the UF game in Jax every year. 

This is kind of the point. No true road games. They aren't going into Clemson or going up to Oregon. Florida is in a neutral site but I'll give them that because it's always been like that at least as long as I can remember. Bama does the same stuff.

OU was scheduled as a road game. We play Tech in a true road game every other year. It is an in-state rivalry and a tradition for both schools. The Clemson and Oregon games were against highly ranked opponents away from home. You can't just ignore those. 

We played at ND in 2017 and have road games at Texas, Ohio St, FSU, UCLA, Clemson and others on the schedule in the future.  https://ugawire.usatoday.com/lists/georgia-football-schedule-with-future-nonconference-opponents/

The programs you should be questioning are Alabama, which has played one nonconf road game in the past 12 years, Aub, Tenn and LSU, which have 4 nonconf openings every year and no neutral site SEC games like UGA and UF do. They should be playing two P5 nonconf teams and a nonconf H&H every year. 

Edited by Tomatillo

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

And he only got the one playoff team right because that’s where he played ball.  It’s damn near impossible to not get at least 2/4 every year without even trying.

I don't think anyone had TCU, but nearly everyone of note had two of UGA/Mich/Ohio ST. 

And the three he missed weren't even close. It wasn't like he had USC or Tenn. 

7 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

Maybe the low numbers were because they didn't start their viewership count after the game had gotten out of hand--you know, like midway through the first quarter.

B1G fans will celebrate. All they have is their TV ratings. 

I am always amazed at how many people watch Ohio St, Mich and Penn St. But UGA-Oklahome in the 2018 Rose outdrew UGA-Ohio St this year and are the two most viewed semifinals since 2014 I believe. 

Edited by Tomatillo

OU was scheduled as a road game. We play Tech in a true road game every other year. It is an in-state rivalry and a tradition for both schools. The Clemson and Oregon games were against highly ranked opponents away from home. You can't just ignore those. 
We played at ND in 2017 and have road games at Texas, Ohio St, FSU, UCLA, Clemson and others on the schedule in the future.  https://ugawire.usatoday.com/lists/georgia-football-schedule-with-future-nonconference-opponents/
The programs you should be questioning are Alabama, which has played one nonconf road game in the past 12 years, Aub, Tenn and LSU, which have 4 nonconf openings every year and no neutral site SEC games like UGA and UF do. They should be playing two P5 nonconf teams and a nonconf H&H every year. 

Dude you’re not fooling anybody. Georgia at Georgia tech is going to be a home game for Georgia. Playing highly ranked teams in nfl stadiums in close proximity to Athens impresses nobody. The sec, undoubtedly the best conference in America, gets flack for playing late season patsies while the rest play conference games. I mean we had to praise Alabama for actually leaving the southeast to play at Texas this year. What a remarkable achievement. And you brought up a game 6 years ago at notre Dame as your one true non conference test. Your future schedules look decent if traveling to Louisville and ucla is your ooc gauntlet. Texas will be a conference member by the time that game is played. The other games you mention are like 5+ years away.

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

No big surprise. TCU doesn’t pull a lot of eyeballs. 

That’s a lazy take. People didn’t watch because it was bad football. The TCU-UM game had monster numbers. Because it was a good game. 
If TCU-UGA played a 10-game series, UGA would win 9, maybe 10 times. That result on a Monday was worst case for TCU. No doubt UGA is a massively better team, but TCU isn’t nearly as bad as they were on Monday. They got slammed hard, never recovered, and played like crap the rest of the night. 
TCU had an undefeated regular season and straight up beat UM in a hugely entertaining semifinal. If you don’t think aggy, UT, USC (both coasts), MSU (both iterations), and all the rest of the teams would trade for that, then I don’t know what to tell you. 

7 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

fuck off with that shit.  we consistently play a much better non-con than most anyone in the conference.  next year we play at FSU, 2024 we have USC (in Vegas) and UCLA both on the sched.  and yes, we travel for our non-cons (the past few years have seen us play away from home vs Texas, UCLA, Wisconsin, and Miami.  

your OOC sucks balls…consistently.  your team, however, does not.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Your FSU game is in Orlando. Probably at camping world stadium. Not a true road test. Probably a LSU home game if I were a betting man.

And also LSU plays in Vegas??? My dear lord. Get the national guard on standby

fuck you.  you think UND or whatever the fuck can hang with SEC/BCS teams.  

yeah…a game against Florida State  in Orlando is a home game for LSU.  fuck’s sake.  

eat a giant…and i do mean GIANT…dick, fucking yankee.   

• Haha 2

fuck you.  you think UND or whatever the fuck can hang with SEC/BCS teams.  

yeah…a game against Florida State  in Orlando is a home game for LSU.  fuck’s sake.  

eat a giant…and i do mean GIANT…dick, fucking yankee.   

Why did that trigger you?

LSU travels with the best of them. Why isn’t LSU playing at FSU? FSU played at Death Valley. So no, your game is not at FSU like you made it out to be when you tried to flex

No idea in your stupid drunken rant I said UND can hang with the sec. I was making fun of the Georgia fan that he has to go back 6 years for their last true road game challenge that was OOC.

OOC means out of conference, loser.

19 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why did that trigger you?

LSU travels with the best of them. Why isn’t LSU playing at FSU? FSU played at Death Valley. So no, your game is not at FSU like you made it out to be when you tried to flex

No idea in your stupid drunken rant I said UND can hang with the sec. I was making fun of the Georgia fan that he has to go back 6 years for their last true road game challenge that was OOC.

OOC means out of conference, loser.

it wasn’t a “home game.”  we played FSU this year in New Orleans…that’s why the game @FSU is in Orlando.  

flex that…

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, nnm said:

That’s a lazy take. People didn’t watch because it was bad football. The TCU-UM game had monster numbers. Because it was a good game. 
If TCU-UGA played a 10-game series, UGA would win 9, maybe 10 times. That result on a Monday was worst case for TCU. No doubt UGA is a massively better team, but TCU isn’t nearly as bad as they were on Monday. They got slammed hard, never recovered, and played like crap the rest of the night. 
TCU had an undefeated regular season and straight up beat UM in a hugely entertaining semifinal. If you don’t think aggy, UT, USC (both coasts), MSU (both iterations), and all the rest of the teams would trade for that, then I don’t know what to tell you. 

Were you crying softly as you typed this? He was correct that TCU doesn't draw viewers, but you're correct it was largely about the fact that they got their faces kicked in and looked worse than any other team that has ever played in a national championship game. 

Then you wrote a paragraph trying to convince yourself that everyone else is envious of TCU's season where they didn't win any championships and were humiliated in front of everyone even though that has nothing to do with the post you were responding to. 

This is on par with the time you argued that a 70% (at best) full stadium was actually full for the Iowa State at TCU game even though there was plenty of actual footage available showing you were straight up lying. We get it, you love TCU.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Were you crying softly as you typed this? He was correct that TCU doesn't draw viewers, but you're correct it was largely about the fact that they got their faces kicked in and looked worse than any other team that has ever played in a national championship game. 

Then you wrote a paragraph trying to convince yourself that everyone else is envious of TCU's season where they didn't win any championships and were humiliated in front of everyone even though that has nothing to do with the post you were responding to. 

This is on par with the time you argued that a 70% (at best) full stadium was actually full for the Iowa State at TCU game even though there was plenty of actual footage available showing you were straight up lying. We get it, you love TCU.

I’m envious of their season, as any Horn fan should be. Not their last game, of course. I’m sure this has been posted many times but I’m not wading through this thread.