Dallas | Tex Mex

Landomatic

On 11/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, Spoosner said:

Don't know that this is perfect thread, but don't think it's worth starting a new one.

Has anybody been to Te Deseo?  Reviews seem very mixed.

This is months late (haven't really been on Surly in awhile) but I went back in November or December I think and it was pretty fucking good. That said, it was a well-to-do family member that fronted the bill, so in terms of value I can't really speak, but if someone else is taking care of the check then I would suggest you order everything you can off of that menu and enjoy. It sounds like from your comment that you understand, but it isn't TexMex at all - it's more South American - Peruvian especially I believe - with some Mexican flavor for familiarity. 

Also, as per the Desert Racer discussion, this website makes me want to kill myself https://www.desertracertx.com/

So I guess I have no problem with @TankedBevo's review, but might side with @Landomatic in that having scanned the website I would stay far away and walk in with tempered expectations. 

• Like 1

Fair enough, maybe I should have worded myself better from the jump. I did realize that there would be a wait which is why I was perfectly okay with waiting the original time I was told, but the rest of the night was hampered by how the seating situation was handled. The food (to me) wasn't spectacular enough to make up for it. I will say that the bar made an awesome drink for my wife that I got a sip of. I think it had hibiscus, jalapeno, tequila, soda and some deep dark red liquid that I can't remember. 

You should definitely try The Lot.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Was driving down Lovers Lane just east of the Tollroad yesterday and see some place called Fajita Pete's going in there. Googled and it looks like it might've started in Houston based on the number of locations down there. There are two locations in North Dallas. Anybody ever had this?

Also went to the new Mia's the other night after shooting at doves in FW. The food is still pretty good but damn, that's a weird location for them. It just isn't the same.

And, I've become a fan of Muchacho's in the old Taco Diner spot in Preston Center. It's damn good -- Mesero-like price point. Great homemade tortillas.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Was driving down Lovers Lane just east of the Tollroad yesterday and see some place called Fajita Pete's going in there. Googled and it looks like it might've started in Houston based on the number of locations down there. There are two locations in North Dallas. Anybody ever had this?

I believe it started is a catering deal that turned into a brick and mortar.  I’ve only had it when it was catered for a large number of people, and thought it was pretty good for large scale catering.  That was also a long time ago.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, C-Man said:

I worked by the North Dallas location on Campbell and had lunch there a few times. it's typical Tex-Mex, nothing outstanding about it, but not bad either. 

• 6 months later...
For future reference Avila's is probably closer to Love Field and is fantastic. In fact I like it better than Mia's. You could also go to Rafa's.

Avila’s was great, thank you! I can finally say I found my go-to for my Dallas Tex Mex. Then they clinched it on the back end of the meal when we asked for chips/salsa to take home and didn’t bother charging (not like it woulda been a big expense but still makes an impression).

• 2 weeks later...

Te deseo was okay.  Fun vibe but the food was your standard and basic tex-mex.  

I was a big fan of Tulum.  It's not tex-mex, more like food from Mexico City.  They cooked their octopus perfectly and it was damn near inedible at Te Deseo.

Desert Racer is fun to go look at gen z co-eds that are dressed up for instagram pics.  Other than that, I thought the food was terrible.

• 1 month later...

Tried the new place on fitzugh east of central, Joe Leo. Same group that is the rustic. Place was packed and tail on display, service was great. Food was pretty good, no complaints from my group. Def not your hole in the wall prices but not obscene. Cool place, especially the patio. Thinking inside would be an ass whip on a busy night.

16 hours ago, bluto said:

Tried the new place on fitzugh east of central, Joe Leo. Same group that is the rustic. Place was packed and tail on display, service was great. Food was pretty good, no complaints from my group. Def not your hole in the wall prices but not obscene. Cool place, especially the patio. Thinking inside would be an ass whip on a busy night.

Looks like it's in the old El Bolero spot. Wonder why El Bolero didn't make it there, but this place thinks it can?

On 4/13/2021 at 1:33 PM, victory88 said:

Te deseo was okay.  Fun vibe but the food was your standard and basic tex-mex.  

Wait... what? That is not the food that they serve. Are we talking about different restaurants?

Looking at old news, it closed Jan 2000 pre covid actually. Manager of it said “only corporate can tell you why it closed”, looks like FW closed too.

I’ve been to El Bolero in Design District. Had no idea there were other locations.

32 minutes ago, bluto said:

Jan 2020* in prior post if that wasn’t obvious

Someone came up to me about an hour ago and said "I"ll give you a million dollars if you can tell me when El Bolero closed" and I said January, 2000 and he said WRONG! and drove off in a Ferrari. 

So you owe me some money, asshole.

Edited by ztejas

On 9/17/2020 at 1:07 PM, DallasHorn26 said:

I worked by the North Dallas location on Campbell and had lunch there a few times. it's typical Tex-Mex, nothing outstanding about it, but not bad either. 

I went to that location the last time I was in Dallas. It was pretty pedestrian but better than anything I can find in FL.

Wife and I got off work early and tried to go to Joe Leo. Arrived just before 7:00 and was told the wait for 2 was over an hour. On a Wednesday. Looked nice but reservations may be necessary. 

Settled for Manny’s on the way home. 

Wife and I got off work early and tried to go to Joe Leo. Arrived just before 7:00 and was told the wait for 2 was over an hour. On a Wednesday. Looked nice but reservations may be necessary. 
Settled for Manny’s on the way home. 

Thinking the upstairs is yet to open which is causing inflated wait times. Could be totally off on that but downstairs inside seemed like not much floor space, big patio though.

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, C-Man said:

How was it @Jive Turkey? Had to re-route my drive home this past week because the stretch of Cedar Springs that went by Concrete Cowboy and Clutch was closed to through traffic and went by Las Palmas. Wondering if I need to check it out.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:15 PM, Jive Turkey said:

It's not bad.  Not the best Tex Mex you'll have, but it's ok.  I've been twice, and the second time was better.  So they're stepping up their game.  Made some improvements.  My main concern is that the place won't last long.  That location is a death trap.  First time I went, place was damn near empty.  I went back a few months after that, and business had definitely picked up.  I don't ever go out of my way to go there, but if friends suggest it or if I'm in the neighborhood and want Tex Mex, it's fine.

Went to Las Palmas last weekend and we thought it was outstanding. Bold statement time...it was some of the best queso and cheese enchiladas I've ever had. Wife got the puerco enguisado and it was amazing too. From everything we tried, I'd put their food up against just about any Tex Mex place in town.

They must be doing something right because the place was packed the whole time we were there. We walked in at about 5:00 on Saturday thinking we were really early and wouldn't need a reservation and were told they were "fully committed until 9:30" by the hostess. So, we ended up eating at the bar, which was first come first serve. Lucky we even got seats there. For the most part, the bar seats stayed completely full with lots of people lurking to try to snag seats when people got up, which rarely happened.

The space feels like it's been there forever and kind of makes you feel like you're not in Dallas. We were also pleasantly surprised that the crowd didn't have too much of an uptown feel to it. Overall great experience top to bottom and will definitely go back.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

They must be doing something right because the place was packed the whole time we were there. 

that's really good to hear.

yeah, there was definitely improvement from my first to my second visit, and it sounds like they've kept improving.

damn, weird to see that my last visit was right before the pandemic blew up.  February 2020.  looks like i need to go back.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Has anyone eaten at Tim Love’s new TexMex/Mexican place in the FW Stockyards Paloma Suerte?

Fuck that doucher.

I drove down Lemmon the other day and it appears Casa Rosa's sign is up now. Everybody in/around Park Cities is excited for its return. Apparently, it was a thing back before I moved to Dallas in 1998. Going into the former El Fenix on Lemmon just south of Inwood.

I'm more excited for Julian Barsotti's Tex-Mex place going in Inwood Village personally.

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

Fuck that doucher.

this ^

I drove down Lemmon the other day and it appears Casa Rosa's sign is up now. Everybody in/around Park Cities is excited for its return. Apparently, it was a thing back before I moved to Dallas in 1998. Going into the former El Fenix on Lemmon just south of Inwood.

Yeah, people are all pumped up about this. I've lived in my neighborhood for a couple years now and have received like 2 total emails from neighbors. Got one the other day pimping the shit out of this restaurant with everyone all excited about it. Like you, it was here before my time. When I first heard about it, I thought they were talking about us getting a Rosa's Cafe 😂

I'm more excited for Julian Barsotti's Tex-Mex place going in Inwood Village personally.

Not saying you're wrong and I hear a lot of buzz about it too, but are we just supposed to assume he can do Tex-Mex? I mean, he doesn't even have the best Italian place in town (top 5 probably), which is his thing. Wondering why everyone just assumes his Tex-Mex is going to be so great?

Edited by Landomatic

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

this ^

Yeah, people are all pumped up about this. I've lived in my neighborhood for a couple years now and have received like 2 total emails from neighbors. Got one the other day pimping the shit out of this restaurant with everyone all excited about it. Like you, it was here before my time. When I first heard about it, I thought they were talking about us getting a Rosa's Cafe 😂

Not saying you're wrong and I hear a lot of buzz about it too, but are we just supposed to assume he can do Tex-Mex? I mean, he doesn't even have the best Italian place in town (top 5 probably), which is his thing. Wondering why everyone just assumes his Tex-Mex is going to be so great?

I love Julian's Italian places. Plus, the Dallas Observer writeup I saw made it seem like it was going to be a much-friendlier price point than I was expecting. I think it's supposed to have a price-point between Rafa's/Mi Cocina and Jose, which is great. Also, going off memory from the article I think he's got a partner with a proven track record in Tex-Mex. (Maybe I'm making that up.) At any rate, I'm just glad that Cafe Express spot isn't turning into another bank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 10:49 AM, Landomatic said:

Went to Las Palmas last weekend and we thought it was outstanding.

Finally made it here last night for a big group dinner with friends that were in town.   Agreed it was fantastic.   Moved to top of list for future date night as well.

not Tex-Mex, but a new interior Mexican restaurant is coming to the Design District on March 11:  The Mexican.  

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-08-22-the-mexican-design-district-roberto-gonzalez-alcala/

it's Northern Mexican food that features dishes from Monterrey.

this place will be high tone:

The restaurant is 15,000 square feet with seating for 320, and spares no details with:

• eclectic tequila wall and tasting table
  • eccentric cigar lounge equipped with state-of-the-art ventilation
  • multi-level, picturesque outdoor patios featuring landscapes from the region
  • original Mexican tilework
  • ceramic fixtures
  • intricate touches of blues and golds

Dallas Morning News has an article about The Mexican, as well, which says it will have a $250 margarita.

NC3LZPMQ3ZEBXP4MNS2FFDGCEU.jpg

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

not Tex-Mex, but a new interior Mexican restaurant is coming to the Design District on March 11:  The Mexican.  

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-08-22-the-mexican-design-district-roberto-gonzalez-alcala/

The restaurant is 15,000 square feet with seating for 320, and spares no details with:

• ceramic fixtures

Dallas Morning News has an article about The Mexican, as well, which says it will have a $250 margarita.

Just saw this tonight. This is apparently the new project of an acquaintance/friend of mine, Todd Istre. Our daughters are in the same grade and we were in the same Y Princess group many years ago. I hadn't heard of it until his GF posted about it on FB tonight. Todd had restaurants in Houston (Cajun-themed, I think) and then helped start Mooyah and then did Ojos Locos. He sold all of those a few years ago and I didn't realize he was getting back in the restaurant game.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 10:49 AM, Landomatic said:

Went to Las Palmas last weekend and we thought it was outstanding. Bold statement time...it was some of the best queso and cheese enchiladas I've ever had. Wife got the puerco enguisado and it was amazing too. From everything we tried, I'd put their food up against just about any Tex Mex place in town.

They must be doing something right because the place was packed the whole time we were there. We walked in at about 5:00 on Saturday thinking we were really early and wouldn't need a reservation and were told they were "fully committed until 9:30" by the hostess. So, we ended up eating at the bar, which was first come first serve. Lucky we even got seats there. For the most part, the bar seats stayed completely full with lots of people lurking to try to snag seats when people got up, which rarely happened.

The space feels like it's been there forever and kind of makes you feel like you're not in Dallas. We were also pleasantly surprised that the crowd didn't have too much of an uptown feel to it. Overall great experience top to bottom and will definitely go back.

Last Saturday I learned that an old friend of mine now runs that place and the craft cocktail place next door (Bowen House?).  Had no idea.  He used to run III Forks and then Norma's after that.  Now I definitely need to go there.

Edited by DDD Dad

Was running into Eatzi's in Inwood Village to get some stuff earlier this week and noticed activity in Odelay. Turns out it was friend/family preview night so I guess that means it will be opening to gen pop soon. I'm looking forward to this one quite a bit.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Was running into Eatzi's in Inwood Village to get some stuff earlier this week and noticed activity in Odelay. Turns out it was friend/family preview night so I guess that means it will be opening to gen pop soon. I'm looking forward to this one quite a bit.

You buy some stock in that place or something?

On 2/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, C-Man said:

Fuck that doucher.

The old Casa Rosa was a Cuellar family gig.  The El Chico people.  Back then, it was basically a higher end El Chico, i.e. El Fenix.

Looks like it still is. 

16 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You buy some stock in that place or something?

I wish! I bet they kill it with that concept there. I'm just happy to have another restaurant option in the neighborhood. I am thoroughly bored with the offerings on that side of the street (still love Mesero) and was certain that was going to be a bank or mattress store. I've loved all of Julian's Italian concepts and expect nothing less from this. I also dig that it sounds like it's more Rafa's level price points rather than Mesero.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The old Casa Rosa was a Cuellar family gig.  The El Chico people.  Back then, it was basically a higher end El Chico, i.e. El Fenix.

Looks like it still is. 

Then meh. I'd rather they put in a Rosa's there instead.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I would suppose that they would update the menu some, and opinions on the Tex Mex vary.  Give it a shot.

I'm sure I'll give it a shot just to see what the fuss is about. FTR, the only El Fenix I've found edible is the OG spot downtown.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/31/2022 at 1:51 PM, C-Man said:

I'm sure I'll give it a shot just to see what the fuss is about. FTR, the only El Fenix I've found edible is the OG spot downtown.

I ate at the El Fenix on Field St. a few weeks ago with some clients after a meeting and...it was amazing. I loved it. 

On 3/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jive Turkey said:

• ceramic fixtures

BIL just suggested this place for his birthday dinner this week.

On 4/8/2022 at 4:17 PM, DallasSooner said:

Anyone ever eat at either of the Tipico's locations?  One by Love Field kind and other in Carrollton.  It's some messy cheap but good mexican food. 

Only been to the one by Love Field one time and it was delicious. Pretty sure they don't have margaritas, only beer, which I found odd for a Tex Mex joint.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:58 AM, TurkeyChew said:

Just looked-- apparently there are only two Taco Diner locations left in the DFW area. Weren't there a lot more? I used to love that place and thought it was better than Mi Cocinas.

We run by the LH location every so often. The Mexico City bowl is good. Their menu is super pared down now but what they serve is all solid and pretty sure I read that the burger is one of the most popular items. So theres that. I think they are just winding down the concept as leases expire. 

On 3/31/2022 at 1:44 PM, C-Man said:

I wish! I bet they kill it with that concept there. I'm just happy to have another restaurant option in the neighborhood. I am thoroughly bored with the offerings on that side of the street (still love Mesero) and was certain that was going to be a bank or mattress store. I've loved all of Julian's Italian concepts and expect nothing less from this. I also dig that it sounds like it's more Rafa's level price points rather than Mesero.

@C-Man you check out that Odelay place yet?