Dallas | Tex Mex

Landomatic

• 1 month later...

I've had Mija's Taqueria at Skillman and Royal twice now and I'm blown away at just how fucking good the cochinitas pibil tacos are. They have a 3 street tacos plate with rice and beans, so the first time I went I got that with different meats in the street tacos for all three. After I ate the pibil I ate the other two, gave my son my rice and beans and went back to order two more pibil tacos. I went again last night and got 5 of them a la carte. Threw some of the caramelized onions, pickled onions and whatever the pinkish hot sauce is and it was absolute heaven. If you're in the area, give it a try because everything else I've tried is ace too, especially the barbacoa and mango margarita with tajin: https://mijastaqueria.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/16/2022 at 4:03 PM, TankedBevo said:

I've had Mija's Taqueria at Skillman and Royal twice now and I'm blown away at just how fucking good the cochinitas pibil tacos are. They have a 3 street tacos plate with rice and beans, so the first time I went I got that with different meats in the street tacos for all three. After I ate the pibil I ate the other two, gave my son my rice and beans and went back to order two more pibil tacos. I went again last night and got 5 of them a la carte. Threw some of the caramelized onions, pickled onions and whatever the pinkish hot sauce is and it was absolute heaven. If you're in the area, give it a try because everything else I've tried is ace too, especially the barbacoa and mango margarita with tajin: https://mijastaqueria.com/

Great rec I haven't thought to submit until reading this.  We've been 5 or so times now and love it.  Everything we've ordered has been on point but agreed with the cochinitas tacos.  There is a similar place close by at Royal/Abrams shopping center we tried recently called Mario Bros tacos that is also really solid.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, bluto said:

Blue goose on lower Greenville hanging it up after saint pattys. Aggressively average but good memories there over the years

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

I've had bad meals there and good meals there. It was basically the El Arroyo of Dallas. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

It was one of three places where I would meet my dad for dinner before a Mavs game back when we were chopping up season tickets.  I’ll miss it, but the other locations appear to be going strong.  Seems real estate related as opposed to a struggling restaurant deal.

21 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

It was one of three places where I would meet my dad for dinner before a Mavs game back when we were chopping up season tickets.  I’ll miss it, but the other locations appear to be going strong.  Seems real estate related as opposed to a struggling restaurant deal.

That's what I heard but they weren't exactly crushing it the last time or two I went in. Met my wife on the patio there 10+ years ago and we decided to pop back in there on that anniversary and it was dead save for a few tables inside and the three HS kids drinking at the bar. (Relayed that story to one of my close friends who moved to Houston and she said her oldest son, now a junior or senior at UT, used to drink there when he was still going to HP.)

And BG is still making homemade tortillas, which is great.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/1/2023 at 5:45 PM, bluto said:

Blue goose on lower Greenville hanging it up after saint pattys. Aggressively average but good memories there over the years

Owners live across the street from me.  Not my favorite place but I hope they are able to relocate.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Was at Matt's in lakewood today and the bartender told me they are closing.   Dude gave me 2 free margs to go and said what are the going to do,  for me?

I think tomorrow is last day.

True.  More details.  https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/matts-rancho-martinez-closing-in-lakewood/

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

They just recently opened up a Matt's in Allen in the old Casa Del Rio place off 75 and McDermott. Haven't been to it 

Were the Matt's in DFW basically the same as Matt's El Rancho or worse copies?

i have a soft spot in my heart for Matts as i had been a frequest customer for ~20 years.  The ones in Dallas were built by Matt's son iirc.  Their queso is better than 90% of the texmex places out there and they have one of the better chile rellenos imo.  Also loved their Cowboy CFS (chicken fried steak with chile con carne, onions and cheese on top).  if there is a passable substitute anywhere, let me know.  Their beef fajitas were not that great.

Mico took their location in the Lakewood shopping center and 90% of their former customers never migrated to the new location.  Their frozen margs were a step below Mico and Glorias and that might have been their death knell as they started missing on the hausfrau crowd that wanted mambo taxis.  I think Matt's changed their marg formula a year or so ago and it was better.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

i have a soft spot in my heart for Matts as i had been a frequest customer for ~20 years.  The ones in Dallas were built by Matt's son iirc.  Their queso is better than 90% of the texmex places out there and they have one of the better chile rellenos imo.  Also loved their Cowboy CFS (chicken fried steak with chile con carne, onions and cheese on top).  if there is a passable substitute anywhere, let me know.  Their beef fajitas were not that great.

Mico took their location in the Lakewood shopping center and 90% of their former customers never migrated to the new location.  Their frozen margs were a step below Mico and Glorias and that might have been their death knell as they started missing on the hausfrau crowd that wanted mambo taxis.  I think Matt's changed their marg formula a year or so ago and it was better.

Similar.  Our kids grew up at the Lakewood Matt's that was originally on the corner by where Starbucks now is (it was a 7-11 and his "No Place" restaurant was next door).  It had already moved there from Ferguson by the time we had moved back to Dallas in '96.  At some point they moved to where the old Boardwalk Beach Club was located (Mico's current location).  After Matt passed away (cancer), the quality took a noticeable decline, I think primarily because Matt III just wasn't as sharp managing, plus they had started expanding (there was a location near Allen on 75 and then I think one in Garland before the two current satellite locations in Royce City and the new Allen spot).

Then they decided not to stay in the Lakewood shopping center when the landlord hiked the rent.  A friend of mine designed their new space, and while we continued to patronize it, it was always hit or miss on quality, and other than Friday dinner, never seemed to be overly crowded.  We would regularly go and sit in the bar on Sundays to watch Sunday Night Football and have dinner and a few margaritas. 

When we heard it was closing we went there early on Saturday (early for us), around 6:30 pm.  It was the most crowded I had ever seen that location.  We were told there was a 2 hour wait for a table but I managed to find two seats at the bar, and we were able to stay there.  Their dishwasher had already quit so they were serving drinks mostly in plastic cups.  Service was a shit show (worse than typical), but for nostalgia purposes we just had to stick it out.

We were very fond of Matt and he was great with our kids.  He would always come by and spend time with them, and it was a genuine thing (not just because it was his restaurant).

Also, IIRC the original Bob Armstrong dip was something that Matt Jr. created, not Matt Sr., while he was working for his dad at the Austin restaurant.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Also, IIRC the original Bob Armstrong dip was something that Matt Jr. created, not Matt Sr., while he was working for his dad at the Austin restaurant.

You are correct:

One day, Bob Armstrong, a longtime politician who had been Land Commissioner of Texas, walked into the kitchen. "Little Matt," he said, "gimme something different for an appetizer ... something not on the menu"

https://www.mattstexmex.com/Bob/

Hines, the international real estate firm, along with partners Mitsui Fudosan America and McNair Interests, announce 100% of Maple Terrace’s restaurant space is officially leased and will welcome Doce Mesas as the second dining concept at Maple Terrace, joining previously announced CATCH Dallas. Doce Mesas will take all 2,600 SF in the 2nd freestanding restaurant building at the project and is slated to open in Q2 2024.

The more than 15,000 square feet of Maple Avenue-facing restaurant space occupied by CATCH Dallas and Doce Mesas will serve as the gateway to Maple Terrace’s restored 1925 nine-story structure, which acts as the centerpiece of the mixed-use development.

“We are excited to have completed the leasing of the Maple Terrace restaurant space and look forward to bringing the Doce Mesas atmosphere that so many already know and love to the development with CATCH Dallas,” said Ben Brewer, senior managing director of Hines. “Doce Mesas not only offers an excellent menu to Uptown tenants, residents and visitors, but also creates an opportunity to take in and enjoy the landmark Maple Terrace building and its surrounding area from the outdoor patio.”

Michael “Mico” Rodriguez, founder of Doce Mesas, added: “The Maple Terrace project is historic, chic, and cosmopolitan. In short, it’s everything we would like to be a part of – it’s a dream come true!”

Doce Mesas at Maple Terrace will be the third restaurant in the Doce Mesas brand and the first to serve breakfast in addition to its usual lunch and dinner menu. The restaurant follows the concept’s recent opening at The Hill on North Central Expressway and Walnut Hill Lane in 2022 and the opening of the original on McKinney Avenue near Knox Street in 2018. The California coastal-inspired Tex-Mex restaurant will offer indoor seating, as well as a large patio for al fresco dining.

Dynamic menu offerings include a fresh take on familiar Tex-Mex dishes with a curated drink menu, a collection of wines, imported beers, fresh juices and its iconic frozen margaritas. The new breakfast menu will also feature a daily smoothie, fresh squeezed juices, small bites such as Mexican pastries and avocado toast and classic Tex-Mex breakfasts such as chilaquiles, huevos Mexicanos, a breakfast burrito and breakfast tacos.

https://cravedfw.com/2023/04/03/doce-mesas-signs-on-to-build-in-maple-terrace/

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Anyone have a take on doce mesas? I haven’t been to either location yet. 

Not sure what to make of “California coastal-inspired Tex-Mex restaurant”. 

Just enough spin to avoid Mico having any more disputes with Mi Cocina.  Menus are remarkably similar, including a "Mambo King" rather than Mi Cocina's "Mambo Taxi".

Reminds me of this:

image.jpeg.ce587885a8c4d47770a5e0f3b97bf614.jpeg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Anyone have a take on doce mesas? I haven’t been to either location yet. 

Not sure what to make of “California coastal-inspired Tex-Mex restaurant”. 

Same.  I've considered trying out the one that opened in the Hill which is close to us but no idea what really differentiates it from Mi Cocina.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, Hermanator said:

They just recently opened up a Matt's in Allen in the old Casa Del Rio place off 75 and McDermott. Haven't been to it 

Were the Matt's in DFW basically the same as Matt's El Rancho or worse copies?

I've been.  The food was great but the atmosphere needed some serious work. It was quiet, no music that I can remember, and you could hear the tvs at the bar.  Weird.  But the chili gravy was money as always.  

On 4/5/2023 at 2:16 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I like my Tex Mex closer to peasant food vs Uppity Highland Park. 

His menu looks like a near clone of Mi Cocina and Taco Diner.

Agree 100% on the uppity bullshit.  And I don't blame Mico for that menu/concept stuff.  He may have been his own downfall at M, but if people were still getting rich off my creations I'd be stealing as much of that shit back as possible. 

Edited by threesheets
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, threesheets said:

I've been.  The food was great but the atmosphere needed some serious work. It was quiet, no music that I can remember, and you could hear the tvs at the bar.  Weird.  But the chili gravy was money as always.  

Agree 100% on the uppity bullshit.  And I don't blame Mico for that menu/concept stuff.  He may have been his own downfall at M, but if people were still getting rich off my creations I'd be stealing as much of that shit back as possible. 

Agree with this. The absolute worst thing at any concept Mico has ever been involved with is the tortilla chips. They're truly terrible at every one of his spots past or present -- MiCocina, Taco Diner, Mr Mesero/Mesero and now, probably, this place. Everything else is passable, if expensive. But the chips are shit.

Agree with this. The absolute worst thing at any concept Mico has ever been involved with is the tortilla chips. They're truly terrible at every one of his spots past or present -- MiCocina, Taco Diner, Mr Mesero/Mesero and now, probably, this place. Everything else is passable, if expensive. But the chips are shit.

Those chips aren’t helped by putting them in those fucking little silver bowls like he’s serving over at the neiman-Marcus tea room. Bring me a fucking big basket.

• 1 month later...

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/article275749436.html

Speaking of the abomination of Mi Cocina, shut down by the Ft Worth health inspectors at their north FW location. Nothing like mold, spoiled food, and lack of handwashing supplies to go with elitist TexMex.

Reeks of managerial negligence and ineptitude. Awful in a small mom and pop ; inexcusable in a decades old regional enterprise.

• 3 weeks later...

Wife's good friend from her days in Clearwater Beach was in town from Denver for work last week. Couldn't get a last-minute table at Las Palmas on Thursday so we hit Joe Leo instead. It was our first time there. I believe it's from The Rustic group and I found it very average in just about every way.

On 6/12/2023 at 12:02 PM, C-Man said:

Wife's good friend from her days in Clearwater Beach was in town from Denver for work last week. Couldn't get a last-minute table at Las Palmas on Thursday so we hit Joe Leo instead. It was our first time there. I believe it's from The Rustic group and I found it very average in just about every way.

You are far too kind. 

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

You are far too kind. 

Probably so. The service was abysmal. I did like the chips and salsa, though. The decor inside is hideous but it could be a cool spot in the proper hands. Give it to Eddie (Eddie's/E Bar) and he could probably turn it into something phenomenal. I have no reason to believe we will return.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Probably so. The service was abysmal. I did like the chips and salsa, though. The decor inside is hideous but it could be a cool spot in the proper hands. Give it to Eddie (Eddie's/E Bar) and he could probably turn it into something phenomenal. I have no reason to believe we will return.

My daughter used to live in the apartments right behind it.  The wife liked the place that was there before (can't recall the name --El Bolero?but I think it was a second location of a place that's also in the design district).

We went to Joe Leo once.  Maybe twice?  Other than the portions being huge I don't get the attraction.  Seems like it's a lot of people from across Central wanting to slum it in the hood (like a typical Friday night at Meso Maya or pretty much any night at E-Bar).

Edited by DDD Dad

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2023 at 10:59 PM, threesheets said:

Went back to Matt's in Allen last Friday. Completely opposite experience on all fronts. Hope it was an off night.

• 4 weeks later...

Friends coming in with their kids from Chicago in a few weeks.  Want to get them out for some good Texmex and Margaritas.

Usual go to for company is Ojeda's, Chuy's or El Vecino, but, wondering if there is something different within striking distance of M-Streets/ Lakewood that would be good to check out? 

RIP- Matt's and Goose, not the best, but, always had a good time there too.

And, saw C-Man's rec for Gonzales in the Ticket thread--- can't believe I've never been there--- play golf at Keeton every now and then.  On my list now.

2 hours ago, LosIllini said:

Friends coming in with their kids from Chicago in a few weeks.  Want to get them out for some good Texmex and Margaritas.

Usual go to for company is Ojeda's, Chuy's or El Vecino, but, wondering if there is something different within striking distance of M-Streets/ Lakewood that would be good to check out? 

RIP- Matt's and Goose, not the best, but, always had a good time there too.

And, saw C-Man's rec for Gonzales in the Ticket thread--- can't believe I've never been there--- play golf at Keeton every now and then.  On my list now.

Nothing jumps out to me.  El Vecino is my favorite of your usual joints.  Goose was fun with a group.

• Hook 'Em 1