Dallas | Tex Mex

Landomatic

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Herrera’s original is closing today after 51 years. Hate to see these old legacy TexMex joints go away. I rarely ate there as I didn’t get to that area much, but always enjoyed it.

That sucks.  I've eaten at all of their locations on Maple (loved when you had to wait outside with a cooler of beer waiting to catch one of their few tables) and most recently on Sylvan over the decades. I enjoyed most everything on their menu, but their weekend menudo was always just about the best I'd ever eaten.  RIP.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Herrera’s original is closing today after 51 years. Hate to see these old legacy TexMex joints go away. I rarely ate there as I didn’t get to that area much, but always enjoyed it.

What is the OG location? Wasn't it Maple. That's the first one I went to back in 1998 after I moved to Dallas. A friend of my wife's group, and friend of mine, is part of the family and part owned/ran the Denton Drive location and then opened Mockingbird Station and then the Omni Downtown (both flopped) and now has the Addison spot that I've heard is basically a nightclub. I love Herrera's but the house frozen margaritas are greener than the nuclear waste from The Simpsons' opening sequence.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

What is the OG location? Wasn't it Maple. That's the first one I went to back in 1998 after I moved to Dallas. A friend of my wife's group, and friend of mine, is part of the family and part owned/ran the Denton Drive location and then opened Mockingbird Station and then the Omni Downtown (both flopped) and now has the Addison spot that I've heard is basically a nightclub. I love Herrera's but the house frozen margaritas are greener than the nuclear waste from The Simpsons' opening sequence.

Those are some extended family Herrera's -- same name, different ownership.  The original Herrera's was in the former gas station on Maple that is now the entrance to The Grapevine Bar.

Then they moved down and across the street on Maple into the building next to the cleaners.  Next they moved down and across the street into a retail-looking space that is now part of the 19th & Vine, et al. development.  They were planning to be part of that until they figured out what the rent would be.

The final location was the place on Sylvan.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

2 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Those are some extended family Herrera's -- same name, different ownership.  The original Herrera's was in the former gas station on Maple that is now the entrance to The Grapevine Bar.

Right, so which "OG" location is closing for good today?

On 3/31/2022 at 1:36 PM, TwiceHorn said:

The old Casa Rosa was a Cuellar family gig.  The El Chico people.  Back then, it was basically a higher end El Chico, i.e. El Fenix.

Looks like it still is. 

used to love casa rosa growing up. chips and salsa were awesome. chicken fajita chimichanga ftw. 

If you ever go to a La Hacienda Ranch in one of the burbs or upper North Dallas which is the same family as Mariano's but with a slightly different menu, a pro tip is to get the fajitas "Sundance style". They put that bad ass queso on top of the rice, fajitas, and peppers. It's f'ing great. That's my wife's go to when we head up north to see our friends in McKinney. We usually eat at the La Hacienda near the Frisco mall. They might be able to do that at Mariano's but we never asked since it was never previously on the menu like it was up at La Ha. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If you ever go to a La Hacienda Ranch in one of the burbs or upper North Dallas which is the same family as Mariano's but with a slightly different menu, a pro tip is to get the fajitas "Sundance style". They put that bad ass queso on top of the rice, fajitas, and peppers. It's f'ing great. That's my wife's go to when we head up north to see our friends in McKinney. We usually eat at the La Hacienda near the Frisco mall. They might be able to do that at Mariano's but we never asked since it was never previously on the menu like it was up at La Ha. 

Good reminder that I haven't been up there forever.  Always a fun place.

Mariano's changed to the dark brown salsa (showing my gringo here) that La Hacienda always had. They also serve it warm now which is great. Mariano's is typically where our family goes for a birthday meal. Love when they put the sombrero on one of the kids and sing them happy birthday. They still do the red salsa and I eat the hell out of both of them. The kids don't like the hotter salsa so more for me!

Edited by mdmost

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/one-last-plate-as-herreras-cafe-closes-again-13881292?fbclid=IwAR3B2AhkVWRBV0KrmRJHhYDomrSAXkVfTZ04TVdyLroDquae-KDiNPpy_vY

Gil Bonifaz from the story below is good friends with my wife's group.

Daniel Rodrigue, who wrote the DO article below, came up with the definitive Herrera's restaurant list with help from Gil:

The Definitive List of Past & Current Herrera’s Locations
Maple #1 (1971-1987)
Maple #2 (1987-2011)
Maple #3 (2011-2014)
Lemmon Ave. (1976-1979)
Denton Dr. (1981-2016)
Illinois Ave.-Oak Cliff (1983-Present)
Josey Ln.-Carrollton (1992-2012)
Northwest Hwy. (1998-2006)
Beltline #1-Addison (1997-2005)
Beltline-Garland (1999)
The Colony (2004-2005)
Beltline-Richardson (2006)
Fitzhugh (2011-2012)
Cafe Herrera-Mockingbird Station (2013-2014)
Cafe Herrera-Denton Square (2014)
Sylvan Ave. (2014-2022)
Cafe Herrera-Omni (2016-Present)
Beltline #2-Addison (2019-Present)
“I’m 99% sure this is accurate,” Gil says.
This list includes some of the Herrera’s restaurants that reporters/writers NEVER mention. If any reporters or publications use this handy list, y’all to should credit Gil Bonifaz because I asked him to help me fact-check myself, as I’ve dined in at least a dozen of these.

As we sipped our mugs of coffee Friday morning in Denton, my wife and I read the shocking-to-many news that Herrera’s Café on Sylvan Avenue planned to close later that day, Friday, April 22. After only a few seconds of discussion, we decided to skip breakfast and load up our two kids and make the 40-mile drive to arrive as soon as we could.

Sadly, past experience taught us that the “last days” at restaurants, breweries and the like often mean stocks and supplies run low, and we both hoped for our favorite orders, as well as the hot food on hotter plates, and fast, friendly service Herrera’s are known for.

The Original Herrera's will close on April 22. 

Kathy Tran

Having slipped into a booth or chair in at least a dozen Herrera’s locations over the past 25 years, I clearly consider myself a bit of a Herrera’s aficionado. And we were only mildly disappointed with our last meal’s substitutions — unlike one young man at the table next to us who sent back a plate after the kitchen substituted his protein of choice.

While a trio of restaurants still cook up Amelia Herrera’s recipes, many considered the Sylvan location, whose owners had previously hopscotched Maple Avenue in three locations, to be the closest with ties to the “original” Herrera’s first opened by Amelia Herrera. Others see a connection to the Denton Drive location she also opened, and the current spot in Addison.

RELATED STORIES

Herrera's Cafe on Sylvan Avenue to Close for Good on Friday, April 22

12 Great Dallas Rooftops for Dining and Drinks

First Look (Again): Tacos La Gloria Finds a New Home in Oak Cliff

I SUPPORT

LOCAL

COMMUNITY

JOURNALISM

SUPPORT THE INDEPENDENT VOICE OF DALLAS AND HELP KEEP THE FUTURE OF DALLAS OBSERVER FREE.

SUPPORT US

Amelia originally opened the nine-table Tex-Mex institution in 1971 on Maple Avenue in the cozy hole-in-the-wall now housing The Grapevine Bar. Famously featured and photographed in National Geographic in 1984 with a gathering out front of eager diners, the national press only added to that original Herrera’s popularity, eventually leading to seven Herrera’s restaurants open at once. In total, in the 51 years since the first, 17 restaurant locations' signage and menus carried the family name.

Today, Herrera's recipes seem written into the family’s DNA as her children, grandchildren and extended family carry on the call of the family business that seems almost impossible to ignore. Even with the Sylvan location closed, three other Herrera's continue the tradition. The southernmost and now oldest location, Herrera’s Oak Cliff on West Illinois Avenue, was opened by Jimmy Herrera, Amelia's son, in 1983; Café Herrera at Restaurants on Lamar (housed at and operated by the Omni) is an upscale version that opened in 2016; and the Herrera’s Tex-Mex location on Beltline Road in Addison, which opened in 2019.

Gil Bonifaz runs the Addison location, and he was instrumental in opening the Omni location.

“When [Ameila] passed in January of 1998, her goal was to leave a restaurant to each of her kids, Maple to Mary Ontiveros, Larry’s mom, Denton Drive to Becky Marquez, Oak Cliff to Jimmy Herrera and Carrolton to Mike Herrera,” Bonifaz says.

Amelia Herrera’s grandson, Larry Ontiveros, along with his wife, Nora Ontiveros, and family ran the second and third Maple locations and then the final spot on Sylvan. Nora, who often greeted guests at the host stand, as she did on Friday’s busy lunch rush, told The Dallas Morning News high food costs and worker shortages since the pandemic steered the decision to shutter the location.

When our family arrived at 11:30 a.m. on Friday, the scene at the restaurant was already chaotic and crowded as hungry, hopeful diners from all over North Texas descended upon the restaurant for a final meal.

The packed lot of compact parking spots was brimming with trucks, SUVs and sedans, as were both sides of the streets.

The line for a table started inside and snaked out onto the patio. A server in a black Herrera’s T-shirt announced, “Anyone wanting to sit on the patio can grab a table.”

At the host stand, another employee said because of the wait, people still needed to sign in. But it was too late, the line of about a dozen people jumped at the offer and darted to find available tables. Once settled on the patio, I went inside to ask Nora if it was all right to take a table. “Of course, I remember you,” Nora said with a pat on my arm and a smile. Living a block behind the Maple Avenue location for years was a siren call and on Friday it apparently paid off.

Thankfully, the tortilla chips and peppery hot sauce landed at the table as fast as always, and our server quickly took our drink order while informing us, “We’re out of chicken now.” Mentioning that “anything with beef” was still available. “Even the No. 20?” I asked. “Yes,” she said.

One last dip. Maybe. 

Daniel Rodrigue

The margaritas, too, arrived just as fast as the chips and hot sauce. The iced tea was brewed as strong as ever. Our server asked if we were ready to order. We got a No. 13B, two beef enchiladas slathered in sour cream sauce with a side of rice and beans and a No. 2A for our 3-year-old, which includes one cheese enchilada, a tamale and crispy beef taco with rice and beans. And at last, a No. 20: three beef (tender guiso slow-cooked for at least three hours) burritos smothered in sour cream sauce topped with cheese and jalapeños.

Within a few minutes, our server brought out the crispy beef taco and then she brought a second one, on the house, because the kitchen put another one up for our table.

Clearly, the kitchen was slammed.

Then, she came back to inform me that they were out of the tender guiso for my No. 20, asking if their seasoned ground beef was an acceptable substitute.

“Sure,” I said, begrudgingly. We were primarily there for the sour cream sauce anyway. A table next to us bluntly sent back a plate when the server brought it out with the guiso substituted.

A chatty gentleman in an Oak Cliff T-shirt who said his daughter had worked there until last week said he hopes an Ontiveros daughter takes the recipes and opens another location soon. “At least we still have the one in Oak Cliff,” he says after wolfing down a plate of his go-to order of chilaquiles.

While the Sylvan location has closed, the recipes will hopefully live on as they have for 40 years. 

Daniel Rodrigue

As a 25-year Herrera’s diner, if there’s one thing to know: Dallas can’t keep Amelia’s recipes – nor her family – down.

Bonifaz also opened a Café Herrera location in Mockingbird Station in early 2013, which was closed by October 2014, as well as a short-lived location on the Square in Denton in 2013-14.

According to Bonifaz, he and his mother, Cynthia Bonifaz, ran the Herrera’s on Denton Drive for 12 years, after Amelia, Bonifaz's great grandmother, opened the restaurant in 1981. We reached out to Bonifaz on Saturday for some history and his thoughts.

“My mom and my grandma, Becky, waited tables at the original in 1971,” Bonifaz says. When asked about the origins of the recipes, he says, “The recipes were all in [Amelia’s] head at first, and then she wrote them on index cards. She was a home cook, so she was winging it a lot at first.”

He adds that the chefs also had input and influence on her recipes over the years.

“The cook that I have has been with us for nearly 40 years,” Bonifaz says of “Tacho” Garcia. “He’s the most loyal guy you’ll ever meet. … My mom and I joked that he’s a ‘floater’ chef because he floated from restaurant to restaurant.”

“Tacho” started at the Denton Drive location, opened by Amelia, where he learned from one of the original cooks, Pedro DeLira, according to Bonifaz.

“Every Herrera’s is a little bit different,” Bonifaz acknowledges. “But you have the same core menu items, and if people want to argue about which one is best, then that’s great. Come try all of them!”

As we left Dallas Friday, we headed for home with a small bag of chips and hot sauce and our hodgepodge of leftovers, knowing that as sad as that last meal was, this won’t be our last meal with Amelia’s family. We reheated the leftovers as a late breakfast on Saturday, and we plan to head to the Addison location later this week.

• Hook 'Em 2

TexMex was better when it was “Mexican food”. When joints brought a little jug of “hot sauce” to the table along with a bowl of pickled jalapeños, onions, and carrots. Hot corn tortillas on a plate, covered by a plate, with a bowl of real butter pats. Frijoles refried with lard. And orange grease pools dotting my combo plate.
Creamy pecan praline to polish it off.

And in a corner of the menu, excellent chicken fried steak, fried chicken, and a cheeseburger.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2022 at 10:28 PM, Texzilla58 said:

TexMex was better when it was “Mexican food”. 
And in a corner of the menu, excellent chicken fried steak, fried chicken, and a cheeseburger.

Sounds like Matt's.

Edited by DDD Dad

On 4/29/2022 at 10:28 PM, Texzilla58 said:

TexMex was better when it was “Mexican food”. When joints brought a little jug of “hot sauce” to the table along with a bowl of pickled jalapeños, onions, and carrots. Hot corn tortillas on a plate, covered by a plate, with a bowl of real butter pats. Frijoles refried with lard. And orange grease pools dotting my combo plate.
Creamy pecan praline to polish it off.

Casa Cavazos on Jim Miller/30 does this. It used to be pretty damn good but covid pretty much killed it. I used to go there with my uncle all the time

Casa Cavazos on Jim Miller/30 does this. It used to be pretty damn good but covid pretty much killed it. I used to go there with my uncle all the time

Thanks for the heads up. Checked it out and I gotta go. Kicking myself that all the years I worked at 635/Plano Rd I didn’t know about it to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, C-Man said:

I drove down Lemmon the other day and it appears Casa Rosa's sign is up now. Everybody in/around Park Cities is excited for its return. Apparently, it was a thing back before I moved to Dallas in 1998. Going into the former El Fenix on Lemmon just south of Inwood.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:36 PM, TwiceHorn said:

The old Casa Rosa was a Cuellar family gig.  The El Chico people.  Back then, it was basically a higher end El Chico, i.e. El Fenix.

Looks like it still is. 

On 3/31/2022 at 1:49 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I would suppose that they would update the menu some, and opinions on the Tex Mex vary.  Give it a shot.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:17 PM, futureman said:

used to love casa rosa growing up. chips and salsa were awesome. chicken fajita chimichanga ftw. 

Tried Casa Rosa the other night. I don't think I've ever had such horrendous tex mex in my life. Seriously didn't think it was possible to fuck tex mex up that bad. I always order a beef and a cheese enchilada when trying a new tex mex place because it's simple and basic and usually very safe. So I did that. Just dreadful. The cheese one was a few strands of cold, not melted shredded cheddar and the beef one was plain super dry ground beef with no flavor of any kind. The chips and salsa were fine, but nothing special. The queso was your standard velveeta with rotel which was fine, but very generic. For sides, I got mexican rice and charro beans. The beans were actually great, which was odd because of how bad everything else was. The rice tasted like dirty wallpaper paste. Wife got some chicken thing with refried beans and a different rice. Equally as shitty. The margaritas were really bitter and almost undrinkable so I couldn't even drink through it. The table next to us had churros that looked great, but by the time we got to desert, everything was so bad that we couldn't even bring ourselves to order them. It's been open a couple months now I think, so I don't think they're just still working out the kinks. And I can't imagine it was just an off night because of how bad almost everything was. If I've had worse tex mex, I don't remember it. I almost feel sorry for them because with good to great tex mex on damn near every corner these days, they're not going to make it unless they give their menu a major overhaul.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Tried Casa Rosa the other night. I don't think I've ever had such horrendous tex mex in my life. Seriously didn't think it was possible to fuck tex mex up that bad. I always order a beef and a cheese enchilada when trying a new tex mex place because it's simple and basic and usually very safe. So I did that. Just dreadful. The cheese one was a few strands of cold, not melted shredded cheddar and the beef one was plain super dry ground beef with no flavor of any kind. The chips and salsa were fine, but nothing special. The queso was your standard velveeta with rotel which was fine, but very generic. For sides, I got mexican rice and charro beans. The beans were actually great, which was odd because of how bad everything else was. The rice tasted like dirty wallpaper paste. Wife got some chicken thing with refried beans and a different rice. Equally as shitty. The margaritas were really bitter and almost undrinkable so I couldn't even drink through it. The table next to us had churros that looked great, but by the time we got to desert, everything was so bad that we couldn't even bring ourselves to order them. It's been open a couple months now I think, so I don't think they're just still working out the kinks. And I can't imagine it was just an off night because of how bad almost everything was. If I've had worse tex mex, I don't remember it. I almost feel sorry for them because with good to great tex mex on damn near every corner these days, they're not going to make it unless they give their menu a major overhaul.

If it just tasted like wallpaper paste I might give it a shot, but I’m gonna pass on dirty wallpaper paste.

Wife and I popped into Odelay tonight for the first time. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's different than Rafa's across the street, which is good because I love Rafa's. (Oh, and Stephen Jones was in a both a few away from us. We even got a Spaulding appearance but he didn't stay very long for some reason. That family is weird.)

C-Man, I highly doubt you realize you do this, but you are without question the worst name-dropper on this entire site. Even worse than our old friend Cruiser/Lobo. 

Next time you make a post about a restaurant, try your very hardest not to mention who you know, who your wife used to work with, who your brother-in-law played golf with, who your ex-boss knew, etc. If you would like to argue this, I will gladly post two dozen posts of yours that prove my point exactly. Quit being that guy. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

C-Man, I highly doubt you realize you do this, but you are without question the worst name-dropper on this entire site. Even worse than our old friend Cruiser/Lobo. 

Next time you make a post about a restaurant, try your very hardest not to mention who you know, who your wife used to work with, who your brother-in-law played golf with, who your ex-boss knew, etc. If you would like to argue this, I will gladly post two dozen posts of yours that prove my point exactly. Quit being that guy. 

Who Cares Whats Going On GIF by Marvin Gaye

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Wife and I popped into Odelay tonight for the first time. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's different than Rafa's across the street, which is good because I love Rafa's. (Oh, and Stephen Jones was in a both a few away from us. We even got a Spaulding appearance but he didn't stay very long for some reason. That family is weird.)

You should’ve sent the Jones party a round of the cheapest, nastiest tequila available.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

Who Cares Whats Going On GIF by Marvin Gaye

I admit maybe going a little far for a Spaulding joke. As far as the other criticisms, my BIL is a moron and my wife ran her dad's dental practice for 15 years or so until he retired a few weeks ago. (I don't doubt that shadow operative has the goods on me so I won't poke that bear and ask to see his math. BTW, I'm pretty sure he's got the goods on every poster on this site.)

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 2:06 AM, C-Man said:

Were they playing Beck albums in the background?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 1:42 PM, Covri said:

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-13-22-meso-maya-addison-closed-el-fenix/

I just tried this place for the first time two weeks ago for lunch and thought it was pretty good. I was looking forward to putting it in the rotation for when I do business lunches in that area a couple times a month.

Have you tried Mesero? Just east of the Tollway on Beltline. It’s quite good. 

• 3 weeks later...

Due to water damage in our kitchen and master bedroom we have a very inoperable kitchen at the moment, which means lots of dining out. We went to Las Palmas for the first time last night. I really enjoyed it but would probably like sitting on the patio much better. There were more people on the patio than I might've expected given the 100+ degree weather. We could've done it last night at 7:30 when we went. It's really dark inside. They were playing some pretty groovy house music -- is that an everyday thing or something they do on Sunday evenings?

I didn't realize this was the old Arcodoro Pomodoro location that Las Palmas is in. When did LP open? When did Arcodoro Pomodoro close at that location?  I thought I remembered Arcodoro Pomodoro being in that spot right across the street from Breadwinners/The Quarter further up McKinney but maybe I'm confused. My wife said it was in the LP location when she was previously engaged in around 2008/2009 and I would've stopped going there by then as we had small children at the time.

Edited by C-Man

On 7/25/2022 at 3:48 PM, C-Man said:

Due to water damage in our kitchen and master bedroom we have a very inoperable kitchen at the moment, which means lots of dining out. We went to Las Palmas for the first time last night. I really enjoyed it but would probably like sitting on the patio much better. There were more people on the patio than I might've expected given the 100+ degree weather. We could've done it last night at 7:30 when we went. It's really dark inside. They were playing some pretty groovy house music -- is that an everyday thing or something they do on Sunday evenings?

I didn't realize this was the old Arcodoro Pomodoro location that Las Palmas is in. When did LP open? When did Arcodoro Pomodoro close at that location?  I thought I remembered Arcodoro Pomodoro being in that spot right across the street from Breadwinners/The Quarter further up McKinney but maybe I'm confused. My wife said it was in the LP location when she was previously engaged in around 2008/2009 and I would've stopped going there by then as we had small children at the time.

Is it not in the former Baby Routh location?  I don’t recall Pomodoro being there. 

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Is it not in the former Baby Routh location?  I don’t recall Pomodoro being there. 

Mrs C-Man looked up the address while we were sitting there and she said it was the same. I didn't check her work, though. Am I wrong that Arcodoro/Pomodoro also occupied that building on Hall, just east of McKinney, at some point?

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Welp, I just looked it up and, yes, Arcodoro & Pomodoro was located at 2708 Routh until 2009.  That is Las Palmas' current address.

Somebody help me out -- what used to be at 2922 Hall back in the late '90s/early '00s? It's now called The Palms. I could've sworn that was Arcodoro & Pomodoro but maybe it was something else? Sambuca???

Edited by C-Man

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

Welp, I just looked it up and, yes, Arcodoro & Pomodoro was located at 2708 Routh until 2009.  That is Las Palmas' current address.

Somebody help me out -- what used to be at 2922 Hall back in the late '90s/early '00s? It's now called The Palms. I could've sworn that was Arcodoro & Pomodoro but maybe it was something else? Sambuca???

It was a white linen Italian place. I want to say it was a Lombardi restaurant but I think that’s wrong. If I’m remembering correctly I think I had   Osso Buco for the first time there.