NFL Black Monday Thread/Coaching Carousel

cmontexas

Tomorrow is the big day. I'll start with the obvious then a few predictions 

Jobs Open

Broncos

Colts

Panthers* (they should keep Wilks but the owner likes to spend)

Predictions

Cardinals 

Texans 

Falcons

Commanders

Saints?

I could see Bowles getting canned if they lose to Dallas and Brady retires

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

unless the Texans completely clean house, it's all for not

The Texans may have an owner issue like Dallas and 25 years of the same results proves that cleaning house as far as coaching staffs does nothing for a franchise with owner issues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Listening to Sean Payton today on the Fox pregame show they asked on scale of 1-10 how likely he’d still be an analyst next season and he said a 7. Said two biggest factors in choosing a coaching job front office and ownership.

He also explains Saints compensation for him above in the tweet.

Many of teams listed by OP don’t have that…I could see him go to Zona for some reason. Many have him going to Broncos. Colts are a hot mess and a big rebuilding job also. 

It seems like there's always one or two that come out of nowhere and the media rages NO WAY HE WAS DOING A DECENT JOB

Arthur Smith fits that bill. People are impressed he won 7 games with Mariota and Ridder at QB in a terrible division, but Arthur Blank is Arthur Blank. The Falcons have a ton of cap space, and I think they make a run at Lamar Jackson this offseason. Is Arthur Smith the guy that's gonna convince Lamar Jackson to come to Atlanta?

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Top Assistant Coaches Likely to be Interviewed

DeMeco Ryans- 49ers DC

Shane Stechen- Eagles OC

Kelvin Sheppard- Lions LBs

Ejirah Evero- Broncos DC

Mike Kafka- Giants OC

Dan Quinn- Cowboys DC

Jerod Mayo- Pats LBs

Shane Waldron- Seahawks OC

Don't follow this stuff too closely... is Kellen Moore no longer a hot HC candidate?

Don't follow this stuff too closely... is Kellen Moore no longer a hot HC candidate?
Was he ever? Series question, not sure if he was. I know he was a young hotshot when he first started in 2019. But once the league figured him out, he's never really adjusted. You'd think a OC for Cowboys team that puts up points most seasons would be a top candidate but he isn't. And that's very damning on what the league thinks of him. Same as Garrett. No one interviewed him even he was the OC at Dallas.

I really wish someone would take him off our hands though. But unfortunately, the hillbilly circus are waiting to make him the next HC when they finally get rid of McCarthy.

Tomorrow is the big day. I'll start with the obvious then a few predictions 
Jobs Open
Broncos
Colts
Panthers* (they should keep Wilks but the owner likes to spend)
Predictions
Cardinals 
Texans 
Falcons
Commanders
Saints?

I could see Bowles getting canned if they lose to Dallas and Brady retires

I agree with this list except the Falcons. I don’t think Blank pulls the trigger that fast. I do think Rivera goes. Rivera really pounded the table that getting Wentz was his project.

Would the Saints bring back Payton?

I think McVay retires to go to the booth or studio. Maybe returns later as a GM. That’s the real family business.

11 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Is that 2 straight years where they fired a coach after only 1 season? 

There's very little talent and no QB. What are they expecting to happen?

Lovie and Culley were sacrificial lambs for the tank/rebuild, they were not going to be sticking around regardless of performance… also they are both not very good at that job, so 1 + 1 = 2 on this scenario.

20 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Lovie and Culley were sacrificial lambs for the tank/rebuild, they were not going to be sticking around regardless of performance… also they are both not very good at that job, so 1 + 1 = 2 on this scenario.

I don't know how true it is what you say, as obviously we can't read people's minds for why they would hire/fire a coach. But if your strategy when you hire a coach is to not hire the best person available that will help you build your team successfully, but instead to hire someone bad in the hopes of having a bad season so you can get a high draft pick, you're retarded. Literally. That's a retarded thing to do.

And i actually am not putting it past Cal McNair. Either that, or he legitimately thought Culley and Lovie were good hires. Which might actually be worse.....

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I agree with this list except the Falcons. I don’t think Blank pulls the trigger that fast. I do think Rivera goes. Rivera really pounded the table that getting Wentz was his project.

Would the Saints bring back Payton?

I think McVay retires to go to the booth or studio. Maybe returns later as a GM. That’s the real family business.

The Saints are eventually looking down the barrel of a rebuild. Yeah the division is terrible and they were close to winning more games then they lost, but that's a tallest dwarf contest if I ever saw one. Putting aside the annual cap space drama, the defense front 7 isn't getting any younger, they need to fix a couple of major holes on O-line, Kamara is beginning to show some wear on the tires.  And that says nothing of the obvious QB problem they have.  They'd be ecstatic if someone will sign Payton and give them a first round pick. 

Dennis Allen certainly isn't the answer.  They were Charlie Strong dysfunctional all season. OTOH, Gayle Benson might be the least involved owner in the league.  

Edited by Bateshorn

8 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Coach Bro is gone. Cards just signed him to an extension through 2027 last offseason.

"NFL officials have informed the owners of the league's 32 franchises that teams have spent $800 million on fired coaches and front-office executives over the past five years, league sources told ESPN."

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I think Quinn is gone this offseason 

Won't be a huge loss for Dallas. He is better than Marinelli but that is just being the tallest midget award. His defense shows flashes and then revert back to what they are when it matters. His entire tenure was summed up like that in Atlanta. I know Ryan gets a lot of crap for the Super Bowl meltdown but that defense blew the 28-3 lead with 18min left. His strategy also is very suspect. He loves playing soft coverage on 3rd downs where they get easy pitch and catch for 1st downs.

The biggest thing is if Dallas front office can replace him and not hire some retread loser. 

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Won't be a huge loss for Dallas. He is better than Marinelli but that is just being the tallest midget award. His defense shows flashes and then revert back to what they are when it matters. His entire tenure was summed up like that in Atlanta. I know Ryan gets a lot of crap for the Super Bowl meltdown but that defense blew the 28-3 lead with 18min left. His strategy also is very suspect. He loves playing soft coverage on 3rd downs where they get easy pitch and catch for 1st downs.

The biggest thing is if Dallas front office can replace him and not hire some retread loser. 

If that's your bar then there's never been a defensive coach in existence you would like. You kind of have to play soft coverages when your starting DBs are injured and you've got rookies and garbage replacing them. Also kind of limits what you can do when your interior line and linebackers are a bit weak against the run. 

The only complaint I have with him is this season he's not moving Parsons around much and that throws away the big advantage Parsons gives you. The defense should never know where he's going to be on a given play. 

13 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Is that 2 straight years where they fired a coach after only 1 season? 

There's very little talent and no QB. What are they expecting to happen?

I’m guessing that since they are going to draft Bryce Young at QB they want someone that can help groom him to be a top NFL QB.   They should just hire his current OC at Bama as the new Head Coach of the Texans to make sure Young is in a comfortable situation.  

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If that's your bar then there's never been a defensive coach in existence you would like. You kind of have to play soft coverages when your starting DBs are injured and you've got rookies and garbage replacing them. Also kind of limits what you can do when your interior line and linebackers are a bit weak against the run. 

The only complaint I have with him is this season he's not moving Parsons around much and that throws away the big advantage Parsons gives you. The defense should never know where he's going to be on a given play. 

I would hope the defense would know where he is.  The offense on the other hand....

• Haha 1