2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

A very, very sad #2 pick in the draft (and #12) and $48M in cap space, good for 7th most available cap space. That is some serious gunpowder to work with. Need to nail the hell out of this draft, and bring in a coach for whom big free agents are willing to play.

Lovie is gone for sure, hopefully Caserio too although if we retain him it would be not be egregious. He was handed what was at the time as big of a personnel and draft mess as anyone, but if we had the chance to go get someone much more proven that is the way to go. Look no further than Astros or Rockets as Luhnow and Morey picked up garbage and turned it into gold (Luhnow via some serious tanking I might add, in years where fans were constantly saying he should be fired). If Manning (unproved yes, but obviously has pedigree to be great) really wants to be a GM, we should probably be calling him and ringing his doorbell every day until he files for a restraining order.

So, to review for the offseason:

New coach

New GM

New owner

New players

New name & logo

New uniforms

Hire Joel Osteen

• Hook 'Em 5

Thoughts on the draft:

• Yes, horrible to choke away #1 pick, no sugar coating that.
  • Chicago is highly unlikely to go away from Fields in this draft, but if they did or if they trade the pick, this just feels like one of those drafts where Bryce Young is everyone's favorite and CJ Stroud ends up being the better pick. Or Levis from UK or Hendon Hooker from Tennessee, or whoever. Plenty of guys from those profiles have gone on to succeed in the NFL after being highly questioned during the draft process.
  • Not going QB at all would be fine with me. Plenty of rebuilds have involved drafting great linemen and signing proven FA talent for QB, or securing them in lower rounds. Not taking a QB at #2 or #12 is not make or break. Aaron Rodgers sat in the green room forever. Russell Wilson was a third round pick. Jake Delhomme and Kurt Warner went undrafted. Tale as old as time. Peter Skoronski out of Northwestern manned LT in a good pass-rush conference and dominated. Maybe you take him and move on from Tunsil. Get Tyree Wilson from Tech or QJ from TCU at #12 if still available. Lots of ways this could go.
  • At this time, there is no true gamebreaker that is apparent for the draft. This could cause Chicago issues with moving the pick. Will Anderson Jr may be worth moving up for, but will anyone give up a fortune to take Bryce Young or Jalen Carter or Bryan Bresee? Seems unlikely - but the NFL is an environment where anything can and will happen.
Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Nobody outside of Young, Anderson, Carter, or Stroud should be considered at #2. That’s the order I’d put them in, though I could also see taking Carter over Anderson. I wouldn’t take Stroud at #2, but then I thought Buffalo was insane for taking Josh Allen where they did…

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

A very, very sad #2 pick in the draft (and #12) and $48M in cap space, good for 7th most available cap space. That is some serious gunpowder to work with. Need to nail the hell out of this draft, and bring in a coach for whom big free agents are willing to play.

Lovie is gone for sure, hopefully Caserio too although if we retain him it would be not be egregious. He was handed what was at the time as big of a personnel and draft mess as anyone, but if we had the chance to go get someone much more proven that is the way to go. Look no further than Astros or Rockets as Luhnow and Morey picked up garbage and turned it into gold (Luhnow via some serious tanking I might add, in years where fans were constantly saying he should be fired). If Manning (unproved yes, but obviously has pedigree to be great) really wants to be a GM, we should probably be calling him and ringing his doorbell every day until he files for a restraining order.

So, to review for the offseason:

New coach

New GM

New owner

New players

New name & logo

New uniforms

Hire Joel Osteen

New coach

Lulz no

New GM

Lulz

New owner

Ya rite 

New players

Probably crappy ones

New name & logo

Houston hurricanes?

Nah

New uniforms

Nope

Hire Joel Osteen

Probably would over pay for him

Fl99ouvWIAQbOSR.jpeg

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Unless they fire casserio, it’s a dumb move 

The dumber move was promoting Lovie to HC last year instead of hiring someone that might actually grow with the program. The dumberer move was firing Culley if they knew they were going to be tanking again anyway. Now it’s 4 different coaches in 4 consecutive years, and if Caserio makes the hire then gets fired, the next GM will want to bring in another new HC he picks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Rename the Texans, that franchise is cursed. Houston needs to demand the Titans give up the Oilers Name.

Just rename them something, anything else besides Texans. That was a horrible name to begin with. 

Roughnecks, Toros, were good options. After the Houston Taqueria incident, hell, rename them the Vigilantes, or the Mero Mero Chingons 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Rename the Texans, that franchise is cursed. Houston needs to demand the Titans give up the Oilers Name.

Just rename them something, anything else besides Texans. That was a horrible name to begin with. 

Roughnecks, Toros, were good options. After the Houston Taqueria incident, hell, rename them the Vigilantes, or the Mero Mero Chingons 

Bud’s heirs are petty assholes like their father and would never give us the name back IMO. If I was Cal, I would make a monetary offer to buy the name but also the olive branch of creating a Texans/Oilers Hall of Fame with a section honoring Bud a a pioneer in starting the AFL and being the first to bring pro football to Houston. That would be an olive branch that would help heal the wounds.

If we can’t get the Oilers name back I like Apollos. Stick with the space theme or other teams use.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

It should have always been space themed.  Rockets, Astros, Comets....Texans.  Fucking dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Something tells me some Aggie Shenanigans may come into play. Like Jimbo Fisher to the Texans. 
It’s all just a money making scam. Dumb fans will keep buying the crap merchandise, making the Texans lucrative while not giving dos cacas about winning. See Cowboys and Jones’

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

How have the Texan’s had four head coaches in four years?  That seems like a recipe for disaster at any level of football.  Did they really expect Lovie to do anything with the players they have and no decent free agents wanting to play there?  

Cal’s mom has deep pockets 

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Lmao, what a dumb franchise. They can't even lose properly. Guarantee they hire McCown and continue to suck and give their fanbase a huge middle finger and more reasons not to come view their shitty product.

How much cash do you want to bet on hiring McCown?