2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It should have always been space themed.  Rockets, Astros, Comets....Texans.  Fucking dumb. 

I agree, it's a dumb name. The Apollos was a contender back when they were naming the team, and that was on theme for Houston teams. Toros was a contender too, which would still be feasible now given the logo and merchandise out there. Roughnecks, Rustlers, Stallions, Bobcats and Wildcatters were also suggested. Any of those would be superior to the generic Texans name IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

How have the Texan’s had four head coaches in four years?  That seems like a recipe for disaster at any level of football.  Did they really expect Lovie to do anything with the players they have and no decent free agents wanting to play there?  

It's even worse than that.  This new hire will be the Texans' FIFTH different head coach since October 2020.

10 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I agree, it's a dumb name. The Apollos was a contender back when they were naming the team, and that was on theme for Houston teams. Toros was a contender too, which would still be feasible now given the logo and merchandise out there. Roughnecks, Rustlers, Stallions, Bobcats and Wildcatters were also suggested. Any of those would be superior to the generic Texans name IMO. 

It should be the Oilers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

How have the Texan’s had four head coaches in four years?  

This gets brought up as frequently as the Texans are mentioned by national media or people that haven’t been paying attention. Bill O’brien was deservedly fired. They hired Culley for two reasons (1. They knew they were tanking and needed a pep rally guy as a stop gap and Culley was generally well liked; 2. vain effort to make Watson happy by hiring an African American coach after not going with his choices for GM or Bieniemy as HC). It was stupid to fire Culley (and pay him almost $30m in guaranteed dead money). Lovie was always a stop gap because after the Flores lawsuit they thought they needed another African American and someone with more coaching experience than Flores. I don’t know why they fired Lovie when they still aren’t ready to compete, just like I don’t know why they fired Culley.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This gets brought up as frequently as the Texans are mentioned by national media or people that haven’t been paying attention. Bill O’brien was deservedly fired. They hired Culley for two reasons (1. They knew they were tanking and needed a pep rally guy as a stop gap and Culley was generally well liked; 2. vain effort to make Watson happy by hiring an African American coach after not going with his choices for GM or Bieniemy as HC). It was stupid to fire Culley (and pay him almost $30m in guaranteed dead money). Lovie was always a stop gap because after the Flores lawsuit they thought they needed another African American and someone with more coaching experience than Flores. I don’t know why they fired Lovie when they still aren’t ready to compete, just like I don’t know why they fired Culley.

They fired Culley because they were (insanely) planning to hire McCown as the long-term option.  The Flores lawsuit spooked them and so they panic-hired Lovie at the 11th hour. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

They fired Culley because they were (insanely) planning to hire McCown as the long-term option.  The Flores lawsuit spooked them and so they panic-hired Lovie at the 11th hour. 

Flores had a better shot than McCown. He did get an interview, then he turned around and started suing everyone.

29 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

They fired Lovie because he and Caserio did not get along. For instance, we drafted a man corner with our 1st pick and played him mostly in zone coverages, which has been pointed out by others. I also think Lovie went to Cal directly in a power play over Caserio and lost.

Caserio didn't hire either Culley or Smith, so if he's actually now in charge of the operations, then he should get to live and die with his choice.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Flores had a better shot than McCown. He did get an interview, then he turned around and started suing everyone.

After seeing what McDaniels did with pre-concussion Tua, I'm not as sold on Flores anymore. And let's not forget he woke up Chan Gailey to be his OC.

Granted he is better than Lovie and Culley but it may have been a blessing in disguise.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

If you believe Flores was anything other than a Rooney Rule candidate, then you have more faith in this front office than I do.

I have no faith in this front office, but I also don't think for a second McCown was a serious candidate for the job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Dallas Texans played in the National Football League (NFL) for one season, 1952, with a record of 1–11. The Texans are considered one of the worst teams in NFL history, both on and off the field, and while based in Dallas, they were later based in Hershey, Pennsylvania and Akron, Ohio during their only season.

Time is a flat circle.

3 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

Rename the Texans, that franchise is cursed. Houston needs to demand the Titans give up the Oilers Name.

Because "Oilers" isn't cursed, at all.

Come On What GIF

3 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

Rename the Texans, that franchise is cursed. Houston needs to demand the Titans give up the Oilers Name.

Because "Oilers" isn't cursed, at all.

Come On What GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The smart thing to do (so of course it didn’t happen) would have been to hire Lovie instead of Culley, let him be the transition coach, and wind in the same place as today with better optics…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.439447406e6bc0013a065341520239ce.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.226894498b5bea835fdacbf692b19f85.jpeg

I have had major issues with the Texans HC candidates that they interviewed the past 2 years. Thought they really missed the mark by not even interviewing guys like Saleh, Bieniemy, Daboll, etc. and were looking at a pool of candidates that was not on the same level as what real teams were looking at (McCown, Hines Ward, Culley and Lovie). Looks like they are finally casting a proper search by interviewing young coaches running modern NFL schemes. They need to also talk to Harbaugh and Peyton and find out what it would take to land them. I’m thinking they’re not going to go after an established coach like those 2 because Caserio would be threatened by their credibility and clout as proven winners. I really like Ben Johnson a lot. His scheme is very creative and he did a great job getting Goff to play the best he had in his career. He has McVay potential.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

I have had major issues with the Texans HC candidates that they interviewed the past 2 years. Thought they really missed the mark by not even interviewing guys like Saleh, Bieniemy, Daboll, etc. and were looking at a pool of candidates that was not on the same level as what real teams were looking at (McCown, Hines Ward, Culley and Lovie). Looks like they are finally casting a proper search by interviewing young coaches running modern NFL schemes. They need to also talk to Harbaugh and Peyton and find out what it would take to land them. I’m thinking they’re not going to go after an established coach like those 2 because Caserio would be threatened by their credibility and clout as proven winners. I really like Ben Johnson a lot. His scheme is very creative and he did a great job getting Goff to play the best he had in his career. He has McVay potential.

I have a hard time seeing Harbaugh or (especially) Payton signing up for a gutted-to-the studs rebuild, unlike what (say) Denver or Charlotte could offer.

I really like Johnson, he’s creative as hell. I’m actually OK with all 5 of those guys, though I’m partial to DeMeco purely because of what a badass he was when he played here…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

Remember when Kyle Shanahan was our Offensive Coordinator and made Matt Schaub look like an above average QB?  Maybe it's time we give him a shot at Head Coach???  I be he would be really good at picking his own QB with the #2 pick.

Oh wait, he's busy being head coach of the 49ers, my mistake...

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

This is a great list, and shows they may actually have a plan. Also, there is no way Harbaugh or Payton take the job unless they get full control.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Josh mccown come on down

McCown is not going to be interviewed. That ship has sailed and thankfully is not coming back. The Colts experiment that was complete failure with Jeff Saturday is also another nail in the coffin.

Edited by Macklemore

Im ok with Ryans but I wonder how much of the success he’s had is because of the roster in SF. I like the Ben Johnson path because he is imaginative and had everyone on that offense playing better than they ever had (as others have said as well). I hope they let whomever the coach is hire his own staff. I don’t want them forcing any coaches on the HC.

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Remember when Kyle Shanahan was our Offensive Coordinator and made Matt Schaub look like an above average QB?  Maybe it's time we give him a shot at Head Coach???  I be he would be really good at picking his own QB with the #2 pick.

Oh wait, he's busy being head coach of the 49ers, my mistake...

after he wins the superbowl he needs to come back to his alma mater

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 10:46 PM, Hate said:

He’s not wrong. A Texans Super Bowl would be the city’s best sports achievement.

I think 3 putt's point is that nobody can claim to know what it would be like if and when the Texans ever won anything of any signifcance.

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I think 3 putt's point is that nobody can claim to know what it would be like if and when the Texans ever won anything of any signifcance.

Just getting to the Super Bowl would cause H-town to be on fire and with people going nuts. I have wanted to see my team in the Super Bowl. Figured I’d see it by now but am resigned I will never see it while I’m alive even though I’m middle aged. I would pay whatever it cost to see the Texans play in the Super Bowl. It would be a dream come true.

Edited by Macklemore

I get it @Macklemore....and not that it really matters...because I know he's got to say something like  

we got the Astros winning but it's nothing like when the Texans win

....but that is just plain stupid.  The City's ride through, and reaction to winning the 2022 World Series can't be surpassed in any circumstance....maybe equaled but not surpassed.  And to say its "nothing like" is just, well, stupid.  And trying to equate what the Texans have ever done in the past to what the Astros are currently doing, well I don't want to offend the retarded, so I'll just not comment on that....

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Hook 'Em 3