2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

21 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

The City's ride through, and reaction to winning the 2022 World Series can't be surpassed in any circumstance....maybe equaled but not surpassed.  

The Astros' period of sustained success from 2015-forward is unmatched in Houston. Period. End of story.

However, if (and that is a extremely big if, perhaps the largest if you could ever imagine) the Texans ever made a serious playoff run, I think the fever that would come with that would surpass the Astros, but only because football fever and baseball fever differ -- one game vs. five or seven game series. Every football playoff game is G7, and the build up to each game is a week vs. less than 24 hours. Anyone who lived here in the late 70's and witnessed the Oilers' playoff runs can attest to how crazy the City got during those runs. 

Let's hope we can have a debate at some point to compare the Texans' parade(s) with the Astros' parades. Alas, I see no way that happens until Bob's widow passes, and Tommy Boy McNair sells the team.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:19 AM, Pam Cummings said:

Lmao, what a dumb franchise. They can't even lose properly. Guarantee they hire McCown and continue to suck and give their fanbase a huge middle finger and more reasons not to come view their shitty product.

People who want an excuse to get day-drunk on a Sunday morning = the entirety of the fanbase. 

I have no interest in Derek Carr. I'd rather run it back with Mills than bring in some reject from another team just to win 6 games.  There are still way too many holes on this team to worry about QB.  They need to completely rebuild both lines.  I think they have a good start on the secondary with Stingley and Pitre. Their LB crew needs a rebuild as well.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Metchie can do as his prognosis looks to be good heading into this new year.  They have some pieces here and there.  They just need to keep getting younger and faster.

22 hours ago, tx ind said:

this whole thing is a joke to them, city deserves better

I sometimes follow the English Premier League, and wow, yesterday couldn't have been more of a lesson in how we American sports fans have just been conditioned to accept shit for decades on end while they just....don't over there. Not even a little bit. 

Yesterday the game I saw pitted Southampton vs Everton, one of the two major clubs in Liverpool, and one with a very proud history. Unfortunately for them, they have sucked of late, so much so that they are in danger of getting relegated to the next league down the pecking order of English soccer.

And the fans are not accepting that. Police had to warn the entire ownership group to stay away from the stadium because they had received word of credible threats to their safety. The game went on and Everton choked away a lead and lost to "the Saints," and most of the fans stayed in the stands, tossing lit flares on to the field and chanting for the downfall of the ownership group. The announcers were saying they had planned that protest to go on whether Everton won or lost...

So...two things. In a more sensible world, the Texans would have long ago been relegated to some lesser football league. Alternatively, the fans would run the McNairs out of town. But over here we are just not wired to think that way so we just pony up for another year of season tickets, year after year, and shit owners like the McNairs know there are no consequences for their ineptitude and the clownshow rolls for decades. 

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I sometimes follow the English Premier League, and wow, yesterday couldn't have been more of a lesson in how we American sports fans have just been conditioned to accept shit for decades on end while they just....don't over there. Not even a little bit. 

Yesterday the game I saw pitted Southampton vs Everton, one of the two major clubs in Liverpool, and one with a very proud history. Unfortunately for them, they have sucked of late, so much so that they are in danger of getting relegated to the next league down the pecking order of English soccer.

And the fans are not accepting that. Police had to warn the entire ownership group to stay away from the stadium because they had received word of credible threats to their safety. The game went on and Everton choked away a lead and lost to "the Saints," and most of the fans stayed in the stands, tossing lit flares on to the field and chanting for the downfall of the ownership group. The announcers were saying they had planned that protest to go on whether Everton won or lost...

So...two things. In a more sensible world, the Texans would have long ago been relegated to some lesser football league. Alternatively, the fans would run the McNairs out of town. But over here we are just not wired to think that way so we just pony up for another year of season tickets, year after year, and shit owners like the McNairs know there are no consequences for their ineptitude and the clownshow rolls for decades. 

That shit happens because the British police let it happen. Motherfucker who fires a flare gun in a stadium in the US stands a great chance of getting shot to death in the spot. Picture people storming AT&T Stadium or Reliant the way English fans did Wembley a couple of years ago - it would have been Kent State x 100…

7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That shit happens because the British police let it happen. Motherfucker who fires a flare gun in a stadium in the US stands a great chance of getting shot to death in the spot. Picture people storming AT&T Stadium or Reliant the way English fans did Wembley a couple of years ago - it would have been Kent State x 100…

Yeah there does seem to be a long-held belief in that society to allow the working class to get absolutely obliterated, beat the fuck out of each other and fuck up whole town centers ever Saturday.....It is fucking nuts. I attended a couple of matches with my ex-brother-in-law and fairly meaningless, non-rival games had the off-field intensity of the Red River Shootout times ten.

But the more I think about it, the more I believe we should have promotion and relegation here. NFL at the top, then USFL, then XFL, and after that you get sent to the increasingly professionalized college ranks. If this were in place since the Texans came around they would probably be competing with Rice in whatever conference they are in these days.

Tl; dr Fuck the McNairs, viva Luv Ya Blue 

• Like 3

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah there does seem to be a long-held belief in that society to allow the working class to get absolutely obliterated, beat the fuck out of each other and fuck up whole town centers ever Saturday.....It is fucking nuts. I attended a couple of matches with my ex-brother-in-law and fairly meaningless, non-rival games had the off-field intensity of the Red River Shootout times ten.

But the more I think about it, the more I believe we should have promotion and relegation here. NFL at the top, then USFL, then XFL, and after that you get sent to the increasingly professionalized college ranks. If this were in place since the Texans came around they would probably be competing with Rice in whatever conference they are in these days.

Tl; dr Fuck the McNairs, viva Luv Ya Blue 

Promotion/relegation only works because of the massive spending inequity that doesn’t exist in the NFL. The Texans are a dogshit, idiot-run franchise, and the odds they’ll win a Super Bowl in my lifetime are infinitely higher than the odds that Crystal Palace will win the EPL. The Waltons just paid $4.5B for the fucking Broncos; you think they’re going to shell out that kind of cash if there’s a chance they won’t get their cut of the TV contract next year?

Soccer fans always bring this shit up, but there’s a billion reasons it’ll never happen in any US professional league…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Promotion/relegation only works because of the massive spending inequity that doesn’t exist in the NFL. The Texans are a dogshit, idiot-run franchise, and the odds they’ll win a Super Bowl in my lifetime are infinitely higher than the odds that Crystal Palace will win the EPL. The Waltons just paid $4.5B for the fucking Broncos; you think they’re going to shell out that kind of cash if there’s a chance they won’t get their cut of the TV contract next year?

Soccer fans always bring this shit up, but there’s a billion reasons it’ll never happen in any US professional league…

Oh I know it's a fantasy...Barring a collapse and rebuild of American society as a whole it won't happen. But maybe that's more likely than the Texans in a Super Bowl

I don't think the McNairs sell the team willingly. They like swinging their dicks around at the HLSR and being a member of the NFL Owners Club is something money can't necessarily buy. 

Who knows though? Janice McNair is 86. She'll pass on at some point, and maybe, just maybe the team gets broken up when Hannah files for divorce. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't think the McNairs sell the team willingly. They like swinging their dicks around at the HLSR and being a member of the NFL Owners Club is something money can't necessarily buy. 

Who knows though? Janice McNair is 86. She'll pass on at some point, and maybe, just maybe the team gets broken up when Hannah files for divorce. 

The way franchise values are accelerating they would be insane to sell anytime soon. It’s completely realistic the franchise will be worth a billion dollars more in 5 years than it is today….

The way franchise values are accelerating they would be insane to sell anytime soon. It’s completely realistic the franchise will be worth a billion dollars more in 5 years than it is today….

Had they sold tickets for $5 at Randalls, they still wouldnt have sold out NRG for the past several seasons. The franchise is a drag on the NFL and its worth is based solely on the market.

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

cal and Hannah are only bringing shame to the family name. Time to sell and cash out. It was a great investment 

18 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Had they sold tickets for $5 at Randalls, they still wouldnt have sold out NRG for the past several seasons. The franchise is a drag on the NFL and its worth is based solely on the market.

I had several opportunities to goto games, free. A couple it times in a suite. Wasn’t interested 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I’d rather use #12 on Will Levis or Anthony Richardson than use it on a fucking coach…

No shit. Sean Payton isn’t doing a one year turnaround on this shitbox team and there’s no Drew Brees coming in as a non-franchise tagged free agent QB to help him. Get young, energetic, and innovative coaches and keep building depth through 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks. 

Last year’s draft still has potential to be very good if we see Stingley play more man, aggy guard starts playing with the “asskicker attitude” he was billed for, and Metchie gets a clean bill of health (supposedly should be back for OTAs). Add in Pitre and Pierce and that’s 5 starters. We have #2 (could likely trade down if they don’t like a QB and pick up other high picks), #12, #33, #65, and #73. If Caserio hits on 3 or 4 of those, they’ve turned over half their starters in two drafts with a young talent base to build around. Trading a first round pick for Sean Payton would be a disaster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Yeah and the market is that every time an NFL franchise sells it breaks a record; it doesn’t matter if the seats are empty…

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I’d rather use #12 on Will Levis or Anthony Richardson than use it on a fucking coach…

Getting a proven winner that would change the trajectory of this franchise from laughingstock to being led by a Super Bowl winning coach would be well worth the #12 pick. Give them the Browns 2024 1st round pick we own. We need the Cowboys to win tonight so that Jerry doesn’t fire McCarthy.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Getting a proven winner that would change the trajectory of this franchise from laughingstock to being led by a Super Bowl winning coach would be well worth the #12 pick. Give them the Browns 2024 1st round pick we own. We need the Cowboys to win tonight so that Jerry doesn’t fire McCarthy.

IF  you have the right owner. 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Sean Payton related Trivia: no Super Bowl winning head coach that moved to another team ever won another Super Bowl. 

A great point, but 5 coaches have been to Super Bowls with two different teams.

Just like the Cowboys hiring Parcells, Payton’s the surest thing and a proven winner. It’s that or go with the up-and-comer coordinator and hope he’s the man.

All moot anyway IMO. I doubt he’ll come or we’ll pay that price, I expect him to sign with Denver.

• Hook 'Em 1