2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If the Niners win out, I wonder if it throws cold water on the NFL wide urge to take a QB early in the draft. 

Fields, Wilson, and Lance look like shit. 

Build a Ferrari, hand a bus driver (Purdy) the keys. That said, Purdy stayed a year too long. He goes much earlier in 2021. 

Adding Trubisky, Baker, Darnold, Rosen to Trey Lance and Zach Wilson…a few more busts  top 10 pick QBs in the past 5 drafts. Burrow, Herbert, Allen, Lawrence, maybe Kyler are hits. Tua, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones are whatever. Dwayne Haskins, Jordan Love, Justin Fields, and Kenny Pickett if you expand to all first rounders. It’s a crapshoot with more misses than hits. Burrow and Lawrence were “no shit” choices. This draft is more like the Baker/Darnold/Allen with no obvious choice at #1 and a good chance only one or none end up being good. 

Way early mock drafters keep assuming Houston, Seattle, Indy, Atlanta, and Detroit all want a top 10 QB. As often as we see slides in the draft and smokescreens from teams, it’s possible that Stroud or Levis could be there at #12. 

58 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’ll say this. The Texans are leaving no stone unturned. They’ve already interviewed at least 6 candidates. I’m not sure if it’s thoroughness or cluelessness. I’m leading towards the latter. 

This is starting to get ridiculous.

Thomas Brown, LAR AHC/Tight Ends Coach.  Has been in the NFL all of 2 years after being in the NCAA ranks. 

Brown and Evero look like obvious Rooney Rule candidates, but at least Evero has extensive NFL experience for the last 15 years.  Thomas Brown is like, wtf?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/16/2023 at 9:32 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

If the Niners win out, I wonder if it throws cold water on the NFL wide urge to take a QB early in the draft. 

get an edge rusher, then OL or WR with the #12 pick and 2nd round pick

you have two picks next year, to move up 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Likely just to take the game today as serious as possible and they’ll get rescheduled, but this is (likely meaningless) news as far as this thread is concerned.

Why not just schedule them on a day that didn’t need to be rescheduled.

I’m warming up to this Demeco idea.  At first I didn’t want a defensive coach, but I don’t know now.

21 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So no one wants sean Peyton? I thought he would be the no brainer but I’m not nfl follower so not sure what y’all were thinking. 

He’s still under contract with the Saints so they’d require compensation. The ask is reportedly at least a 1st round draft pick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ahh ok makes sense. I’d love to get him though but is it worth a first? Long term.

I hate the concept of demanding draft picks for retired coaches. Nobody can answer my question of: “If the coach is still under an enforceable contract and the old team won’t let the coach go to a new team, wouldn’t that mean the old team has to pay him if he unretires and shows up to work on Monday just to force his release?”

Regardless, he is likely looking to pad his retirement (asking $20m/yr) more than following his competitive fire. He’s older, won’t have Drew Brees, and no Super Bowl winning coach has ever won one with another team. Paying the Saints a first round pick and more for that opportunity? GTFO

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Every time someone mentions how smart Kyle Shanahan is, all I can think of is during his sophomore year when he impaled the bottom of his thigh trying unsuccessfully to hurdle over a picket fence. 

Don’t forget he also got the letter “W” tattooed above his ankle along with Chris Simms during their time on the 40 Acres because of their love of the movie called “The Wood”. Don’t think that decision withstood the test of time :)

Edited by Macklemore

So the Bengals O-line is just about average(44 sacks allowed) and yet they are playing for another SB. So the Bryce Young option should still be on the table. At this point the measuring stick for idealic NFL qbs should be thrown out the window. If he can play, he can play.

So if they pass on him, then just keep building, I guess. But waiting on the guy who paints his finger nails and crys after losing is not a sound strategy.

If they don't take Young, please don't take Stroud. Just make smart picks and build the team. Maybe they can get lucky in the later rounds with a guy like Hooker.

I originally hated picking Stroud because he was never overly impressive by throwing to mostly wide open future NFL WRs and going to his first read. When he got to the playoffs against Georgia, he had one of the best games of his career, hit second and third reads, and ran when he needed to. So who knows with this group of QBs?

If you believe analytics in sports, there are damning stats against sub 6’ QBs not named Brees or Russell Wilson. I think it’s too much risk to take any of the QBs at #2 because of how many holes the Texans need to fill across the roster. They need to get guys as close to sure bets as possible. Unfortunately none of the top 3 will probably be there at #12. There are plenty who think Levis will be the best pro of the group. He sucked in two UK games I watched, but someone’s counter was “how well do you think Young or Stroud would look on this 2022 UK team with their dogshit OL?” Fair point. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I hate the concept of demanding draft picks for retired coaches. Nobody can answer my question of: “If the coach is still under an enforceable contract and the old team won’t let the coach go to a new team, wouldn’t that mean the old team has to pay him if he unretires and shows up to work on Monday just to force his release?”

I read an article fairly recently about this but can’t find a link. Basically, all coach’s contracts contain language that essentially says (I’m not a lawyer) “in the event you retire, we still own your coaching rights until the end of this contract. If you want to un-retire and go to another NFL team, it’s completely up to us if you get to”….

Edited by Ignatius

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I originally hated picking Stroud because he was never overly impressive by throwing to mostly wide open future NFL WRs and going to his first read. When he got to the playoffs against Georgia, he had one of the best games of his career, hit second and third reads, and ran when he needed to. So who knows with this group of QBs?

If you believe analytics in sports, there are damning stats against sub 6’ QBs not named Brees or Russell Wilson. I think it’s too much risk to take any of the QBs at #2 because of how many holes the Texans need to fill across the roster. They need to get guys as close to sure bets as possible. Unfortunately none of the top 3 will probably be there at #12. There are plenty who think Levis will be the best pro of the group. He sucked in two UK games I watched, but someone’s counter was “how well do you think Young or Stroud would look on this 2022 UK team with their dogshit OL?” Fair point. 

I’m definitely warming up to Stroud. The #1 knock on him seems to be he didn’t play on a team with average players so nobody knows what he’ll look like when he does. To me that’s an unknown and not a negative, but WTF do I know. I’m still partial to Young because of the mobility factor, but see previous statement….

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, he's missed one game in his career?

No, you’re right. Maybe he was just banged up a bunch? I know he was hurt going into/ coming out of the Texas game. I see that he played 27 games once he was the starter so he didn’t miss substantial time if he missed any at all.

I think the next coach hire is more important than which of those dudes we take at #2. I’m encouraged that the only guys we’re interviewing are legit candidates that everyone else in the league wants to talk to, and no Josh McCown/Hines Ward types.  Tommy Boy is still a fucking idiot, but maybe he’s at least in the back seat on this decision where he belongs….

• Like 2

The more I hear and read about Jalen Carter (DL Georgia) the more I want to take him. Here’s what Pro Football Focus has to say:

“Carter is neck and neck with Quinnen Williams for the best defensive tackle prospect we’ve graded at PFF (since 2014). Williams was a touch quicker, while Carter is a bit more powerful, but it’s darn close. Carter finished 2022 with a Power-Five-leading 92.3 overall grade.”

Hiring a defensive coach and taking a monster at DT would be a very good combo. Then, take OL or WR at 12 and hire one of many free agent QBs on the market this season or use a later round draft pick on a guy like Tanner McKee or Max Duggan.