2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

18 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Maybe there is no wrong answer at #2. Carter, Anderson, Young or Stroud could all be great picks.

Which means the Texans will probably draft a center from Minnesota with the 2nd pick.

I know hyperbole and shit, but you randomly chose a guy that’ll be a 2nd round pick. Schmitz is a damn good football player and someone I hope the Texans target if they can get him in the back half of the second or early third.

I know hyperbole and shit, but you randomly chose a guy that’ll be a 2nd round pick. Schmitz is a damn good football player and someone I hope the Texans target if they can get him in the back half of the second or early third.

Not random. I looked at the Espn draft rankings and he was the highest on all 3 lists.

It wasn't a shot at him but about the Texans doing something real stupid. If he is as good as advertised, the Texans do need him just not in the 1st round.

I think Texans have to take a QB.  If not, you build a roster good enough to be stuck in 8-9 purgatory and then keep running through available FA QBs.  Take the QB now and pray he is a top tier QB while you continue to build the roster over the next couple of years when he is primed to compete.  Ala Cincinati Bengals 

There’s a lot of professional mock drafts coming out, based on early feedback from NFL sources, that have Stroud over Young as first QB taken and/or a non-QB taken at #1. I hope this is real and keeps up because:

1. Texans may end up with all QBs on the board at #2;

2. Texans may not feel pressure to take QB2 over a top rated defensive player at #2 if someone trades up to #1;

3. Texans could get some nice trade down offers from a team seeking QB1, QB2, or top rated player (Carter or Anderson) depending on how it plays out. 

17 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I think Brian Griese will be in the mix. He’s the current 49er QB coach.  He’s in the Shanahan coaching tree and did a great job coaching Purdy. 

After a closer look, his lack of coaching experience should preclude him from coordinator consideration, particularly with a defensive head coach. 

Edited by TonyTexas

On 1/26/2023 at 7:05 AM, Macklemore said:

Looks like we are waiting for Demeco or the 2 Eagles coordinators from the answers Hannah and Cal gave. If Payton is off the table, I want to bring Demeco home. Hannah is smoking hot. I’d hit it. She is definitely the brains in that bunch.

Cal describing the interview process “they get to ask us questions, we get to ask them”. Fucking worthless.

Edited by tx ind
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

DeMeco hopefully will be a good Head Coach if he goes to Houston.  Wonder who/what OC and offense he'll want to have??

SIAP... Not projecting any Compensatory picks

TEXANS draft capital for 2023 NFL Draft

Screenshot_20230129-092200_kindlephoto-1018481.png.279ff3e958c4da4834442f94fa4c84a5.png

His OC/Offense is my biggest question mark. The game has changed. Yeah, you will still have to some 19-16 games, but overall teams need to score points. And most DCs are slow to understand that, IMO. Ultimately, that's how his tenure will be judged by his offense. 

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I think Brian Griese will be in the mix. He’s the current 49er QB coach.  He’s in the Shanahan coaching tree and did a great job coaching Purdy. 

Better than another fired 2x retread.

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

After a closer look, his lack of coaching experience should preclude him from coordinator consideration, particularly with a defensive head coach. 

That shouldn't matter. We've seen plenty of experienced guys spit the bit. A good coach will make it work.

3 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Per Rapp the Texans were very impressed by his proposed staff.

Nice to hear. But then again, Cal and Hannah are involved and you know they don't know shit about football.

Edited by Brothahorn

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Sounds like it’s all but finalized. If the 49ers win today, will an announcement need to be delayed until after the Super Bowl?

I read something recently that something like 18 assistants have coached a Super Bowl having already been hired as the head guy elsewhere; happened last year with O’Connel of the Chiefs (now Vikings). I don’t see any reason they won’t announce it immediately even if SF wins today. The 49ers staff and players are all (literally) pros, it won’t be a distraction at all and I’m sure they’d all be happy for him….

Happy for Texans! DeMeco is an excellent hire. I hope he brings some former great Texans players in as well if possible or just to add to morale to have those guys around. I don’t know what some of them are up to lately but it would be cool to have some of those players be involved somehow. Just make sure you have a solid OC and QB coach to develop the QB. That’s a huge deal obviously. It’s a home run hire imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Wouldn’t hate it if he was an Demeco’s staff. And it would certainly hyper-energize the fan base. But not sure why he would do it. He seems destined for a TV gig for lots more money and a fraction of the time commitment. 

Absolutely. If I was a pro athlete, I would take a TV gig in a second over coaching. No stress, work 20 weeks out of year, make millions.

7 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I remember Ryans from his time in the league, which wasnt that long ago.  Did he have a bad injury or just hung them up early for other reasons?  Seems like a super quick turnaround to becoming a HC.

The average NFL career is about 2.5 years and begins around age 24. He’s 38. So not super quick, but he’s young to be a HC. Rose up quick in the coaching ladder to be sure.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Now let’s see this rumored staff that blew them away in the interview!

We need to raid Shanahan’s staff. Their DL coach as our new DC

This is a 2021 photo of Kris Kocurek of the San Francisco 49ers NFL football team. This image reflects the 2021 active roster as of Monday, February 22, 2021 when this image was taken. (AP Photo)

Kris Kocurek

DEFENSIVE LINE

College: Texas Tech University

Hometown: Rockdale, TX

Experience: 19 years

and their Passing Game Coordinator as OC

This is a 2021 photo of Bobby Slowik of the San Francisco 49ers NFL football team. This image reflects the 2021 active roster as of Monday, February 23, 2021 when this image was taken. (AP Photo)

Bobby Slowik

OFFENSIVE PASSING GAME COORDINATOR

College: Michigan Technological University

Hometown: Green Bay, WI

Experience: 10 years

4 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

In no particular order, a summary of all the ‘great’ moves the franchise ever made:

Draft Dre

Hire Kubiak

Draft Watt

Hire Ryans

A sad & short list. But, better days ahead. Great fucking hire.

I’d add the following:
Draft Deshaun

Draft Cushing 

Signing Jonathan Joseph and Danieal Manning

Hiring Wade Phillips.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1