2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

15 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I don’t think there’s any prayer Carter is there at 12; he’s unlikely to face any real legal trouble…

He won’t fall out of the top 10 but he’s trying hard to drop out of the top 5  The Texans have plenty draft pick ammo to move up a few spots if they so choose  

Edited by TonyTexas

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

He won’t fall out of the top 10 but he’s trying hard to drop out of the top 5  The Texans have plenty draft pick ammo to move up a few spots if they so choose  

Hah, he apparently is nine pounds heavier than he was two weeks ago and couldn’t finish his conditioning drills. Fuck #12, we might be able to get him with #34 if he keeps training like this. Meanwhile, Nolan Smith turned in another stellar performance…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

So Carter or his people have to know he’s 9 pounds heavier than the Combine right? They should have pulled him out of the Pro Day and held a private workout at a later date. It would have turned off some teams, but this result is far worse. There’s 43 days to the draft. He could get down to a nice fighting weight in 3 weeks with 22 days to spare. 

I’d probably pass at this point if the Texans have to give up draft capital to move up from 12. If he’s there, great, scratch the lottery ticket. Every team they call to trade up is going to want either the 33rd pick or the Brown’s first next year. No thanks. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Carter or his people have to know he’s 9 pounds heavier than the Combine right? They should have pulled him out of the Pro Day and held a private workout at a later date. It would have turned off some teams, but this result is far worse. There’s 43 days to the draft. He could get down to a nice fighting weight in 3 weeks with 22 days to spare. 

I’d probably pass at this point if the Texans have to give up draft capital to move up from 12. If he’s there, great, scratch the lottery ticket. Every team they call to trade up is going to want either the 33rd pick or the Brown’s first next year. No thanks. 

Yeah, you trade up for QBs and not DTs.

Lance Z is reporting that Carter is going to fall. He's likely heard from front office and agents, especially after his pro day disaster. 

Also saw that Purdue's WR Jones had an exceptional day with testing. 

20 yard shuttle would have placed 3rd at the combine.

3 cone drill would have placed 2nd.

Likely doesn't have the long speed, but he's going to be a fucking witch in the slot.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Lance Z is reporting that Carter is going to fall. He's likely heard from front office and agents, especially after his pro day disaster. 

Also saw that Purdue's WR Jones had an exceptional day with testing. 

20 yard shuttle would have placed 3rd at the combine.

3 cone drill would have placed 2nd.

Likely doesn't have the long speed, but he's going to be a fucking witch in the slot.

4.43 is plenty fast.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/charlie-jones/32004a4f-4e16-0287-5859-a7165d1cc115

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He might be an early 2nd round pick now.

I guess RoJo ran a good enough time at The Combine.

Let’s say Bijan goes top 10, and RoJo in the second round. 

Texas Football historians will look back in amazement and wonder how Texas sucked so bad from 2020 - 2022. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Texas Football historians will look back in amazement and wonder how Texas sucked so bad from 2020 - 2022. 

"For two of three seasons, Bijan and Roschon had a lot of practice breaking tackles against the Texas D.  It carried over to the games for the RBs. Unfortunately, it also carried over to games for the Defense."

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

I don’t know much about salary cap management but below tweet would suggest Denzel Perryman would be our last potential addition due to our need to keep cap space for rookie signings. Reading this makes me think we’d need to clear an additional $1.6M to sign him plus his cap hit, which a Brandon Cooks trade would do:

With that said, really good FA work by Texans. Had to sign a lot of guys to fill a lot of holes (10 FA signings, that’s like third most in league maybe) so good job spreading it around, tweet here is good perspective:

So, hopefully we get Perryman and trade Cooks, then it’s on to the draft to grab starters at QB, WR, C, EDGE.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

I like both moves for the value -Tunsil in that its three years (any longer would’ve been a bit much at $25/yr), and Cooks in that the WR market is flat dead right now and we further bolster our ‘23 draft profile while getting his contract off books.

And both moves free up cap space.

Dallas added a lot of good pieces thus far.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

They could have probably gotten a 4th for Cooks if they traded him at the deadline. Oh well, addition by subtraction. 

I guess if they weren’t going to trade Tunsil, this is the next best move. If Green can figure it out and a good draft, it could be a pretty good OL. The new QB can’t play the bad OL card, so he better be good early. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They could have probably gotten a 4th for Cooks if they traded him at the deadline. Oh well, addition by subtraction. 

I guess if they weren’t going to trade Tunsil, this is the next best move. If Green can figure it out and a good draft, it could be a pretty good OL. The new QB can’t play the bad OL card, so he better be good early. 

From what it sounds like, the problem with moving him last year was the amount of $$ the other teams wanted the Texans to eat of the guaranteed money on the contract. We’ll never know what the real number was last year, but the odds of a 4th rounder vs a 5th rounder making the team/contributing probably aren’t all that different. Looks like we ate $6MM this year…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2

NFL Radio said Dallas wanted him last season and would’ve given a 4th plus late pick, or maybe a 3rd rounder; but Caserio stood firm on wanting a 2nd. Now he gets a 5th and a 6th. FAIL at the deadline, mediocre chicken salad out of chicken shit on this trade today. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Signed Dalton Schultz to a 1 year/$9MM contract. Seems like a really good, low-commitment signing; a reliable TE is a great security blanket for a young QB. This TE draft is supposed to be light at the top but really deep, so wouldn’t be surprising to see us fulfill our annual obligation to draft a TE in the 3rd/4th round as well….

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

The last FA piece falls into place. Great signing. Just on paper we should be good on D, if we can find a great DE in the draft who can contribute Year 1, we’ll have a chance to play some great D.

Mas:

On to the draft.

I predict massive improvement in our new 5-3-5 scheme lol.

#12 will be really interesting. If we stay out I think Van Ness is a good possibility. I’ll still hold out hope for dropping down 7-8 spots, getting a 2nd rounder, and taking Bijan…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

The last FA piece falls into place. Great signing. Just on paper we should be good on D, if we can find a great DE in the draft who can contribute Year 1, we’ll have a chance to play some great D.

Mas:

On to the draft.

That Stingley pick continues to piss me off. They're a top half of the league defense next year with Sauce at corner. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

35 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That Stingley pick continues to piss me off. They're a top half of the league defense next year with Sauce at corner. 

The Jets have a top 3 pass rush and we have a bottom 3 pass rush.  Let’s see how Stingley performs when the Texans are able to put pressure on opposing QB’s.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Roger Goodell is such a cunt bitch. The majority of owners could force the move if Goodell wanted to move on it. Nobody in America outside of Adams’s daughter, Adams’s corpse, and the raccoon/toupee would disagree the world is better with the Houston Oilers in it. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Like 4

I'd rather get some more linemen in Paris Johnson and Myles Murphy but almost all the mock drafts have us taking Young and Jaxon. It makes sense but it isn't how I would build a team. Hopefully, Young pans out and stays around long enough for the Texans to rebuild.

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'd rather get some more linemen in Paris Johnson and Myles Murphy but almost all the mock drafts have us taking Young and Jaxon. It makes sense but it isn't how I would build a team. Hopefully, Young pans out and stays around long enough for the Texans to rebuild.

I would stay away from both Clemson DL at #12. Too much ‘high ceiling if you can motivate them’ vibes; neither one of them improved appreciably from their freshmen years. If you want to gamble on ceiling I’d rather go with Van Ness from Iowa there; his measurables are every bit as freakish as those two and he’s got a motor for days. The only knock on him is experience…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I would stay away from both Clemson DL at #12. Too much ‘high ceiling if you can motivate them’ vibes; neither one of them improved appreciably from their freshmen years. If you want to gamble on ceiling I’d rather go with Van Ness from Iowa there; his measurables are every bit as freakish as those two and he’s got a motor for days. The only knock on him is experience…

Yeah I'm good with Van Ness at 12. But I'm sure Belichick is pretty thirsty for him. The Patriots rarely move up, but if they were going to do it, it'd be for a freakish white boy on defense. 

I think the Texans can get WR 2 level wideout in the second to third round. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Maybe - For some reason Van Ness didn't start. That seems a little weird. Maybe, @SydneyCarton cam chime in on that.

Either way, I think picking Jaxon early in the first is a bad idea.

Edited by Bevo

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah I'm good with Van Ness at 12. But I'm sure Belichick is pretty thirsty for him. The Patriots rarely move up, but if they were going to do it, it'd be for a freakish white boy on defense. 

I think the Texans can get WR 2 level wideout in the second to third round. 

For a while the “experts” have said if this group of WRs (JSN, Addison, Johnston, the 2 Tenn guys) would be second round picks in most drafts. The more educated mocks seems to go that way and have most of them dropping to the end of the first. One or more of the top 5 will likely be there at pick #33. DL and CB are the first round value this year. I don’t know if they’d take another corner after getting Stingley, but very good ones will be on the board at #12. OT2, possibly OT1 could be there, and all these fringe top 10 edge guys. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Lot of new smoke that if Carolina takes Young, the Texans will either take Anderson or trade back. 

Yep. Lots of mocks are moving away from the Texans taking a QB at 2 unless it's Young. I'd keep Anderson at #2, and trade back from 12 if you can to take Hooker later in the 1st round.

The rumor I have seen is that Stroud is repped by the same people that rep Watson, and the Texans don't want to deal with that bullshit.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep. Lots of mocks are moving away from the Texans taking a QB at 2 unless it's Young. I'd keep Anderson at #2, and trade back from 12 if you can to take Hooker later in the 1st round.

The rumor I have seen is that Stroud is repped by the same people that rep Watson, and the Texans don't want to deal with that bullshit.

Sounds like pre draft smoke bullshit, but the Stroud’s representation piece is interesting. 

47 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sounds like pre draft smoke bullshit, but the Stroud’s representation piece is interesting. 

Heard Lance Zierline say this week that Stroud scored poorly on the "S2 Cognition Test," which I assume is the renamed Wunderlick test. That may have turned some noses up about him. Bryce Young also had Brock Purdy-type results on the test, which pads his resume in the eyes of many.  It depends on how much stock you put into a test like that. VY didn't do well on Wunderlick and won AFC Rookie of the Year (obligatory FUCK! JEFF! FISHER!). 

This may also be bullshit, but there's a rumor that Stroud struggles to take directions and feedback when he feels like he knows better, which is apparently quite often. But, I never heard anyone with Ohio State football or familiar with the program mention that before. It could just be as easily chalked up to someone putting that out there in the hopes he drops. 

Adam Schefter is now saying Bryce Young will be the Panther's pick and if Stroud's stock is down in Houston, staying at two would bypass a significant opportunity to add high-value picks. I'd flip with the Colts at four, in exchange for their second-round pick (35) and their highest second-round pick in 2024. Maybe more. I'd like to see them gin up a bidding war that otherwise might have eluded them when they won in Indy. Though I probably wouldn't drop further than the Raiders at 7.