2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

8 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Levis just got passed on by every team in the league. He’s a classic “well he sucks at the actual game but he took his shirt off and threw a ball with no defenders 69 yards so we drafted him” GM trap. You are free to leave your Levis Pro Bowl fantasies in the overhead compartment until that plane actually arrives at its terminal.

Every QB besides (or maybe including) Bryce Young in the 2023 draft was probably overrated relative to top QB prospects in other years, but Levis gets disproportionately shit on. He did lead lowly Kentucky to a top10 ranking in 2021 and put up good stats in the SEC. He played hurt, had his OC replaced with an idiot (who has since been fired), and lost a lot at OL in 2022 so his stats and wins dropped. Is he a worse QB now? What did Richardson do on the field to merit his hype and #4 pick? The Kipers of the world have repeatedly asked “if you traded Levis and Young or Levis and Stroud, wouldn’t Levis have done better with Bama or Ohio St? How would Young have done with 2022 Kentucky? Stroud with 2022 Kentucky (probably shitty!)?”

Stroud and Levis probably deserved to be mid to late firsts and Richardson maybe late first as a lottery ticket based on potential. Texans picked Stroud though so close your eyes and hope for the best. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

He's buying into that S2 bullshit. 

The last time the Texans drafted a first rd qb who tested poorly turned out to be a pretty great football pick.

Justin Fields is looking pretty good right now

You can think it’s bullshit. I don’t. I don’t think there’s a single more important attribute for QB at the NFL level than processing speed. I’d take that over size, arm talent etc. they just took a guy on the extreme end of suck. 
Not all great S2 scores make great QB’s, but all great QB’s have good S2 scores. You can’t have a misfiring processor and excel at that position in the NFL. It’s the most difficult position to play in all of Professional sports by far, NFL evaluators can’t figure it out any better than flipping a coin, and I’m all in on believing that this is probably the missing piece on what differentiates in a way they can’t figure out by traditional scouting metrics. 
I expect this to be a hugely important standard in the next 5-10 years and will be a disqualified for smart organizations. 
we shall see. I’m not going to start posting regularly in Texans threads or anything, fear not. I’m out here on this thread unless someone wants to @ me for a bet. 
Willing to Take all bets that the Texans pick is more valuable than the Cleveland pick next year and that Stroud is a bust inside his 4/5 years of team control. 
really easy terms on bust for the #2 pick overall: the Texans will not extend him or franchise him or bring him back on a 30+M a year second contract, and nobody will sign him at whatever the going rate is for a good QB in the NFL at that time (top 15 type salary at the position).  If you don’t hit those metrics on a second contract after going #2 overall as a QB you busted/disappointed/underperformed. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You can think it’s bullshit. I don’t. I don’t think there’s a single more important attribute for QB at the NFL level than processing speed. I’d take that over size, arm talent etc. they just took a guy on the extreme end of suck. 
Not all great S2 scores make great QB’s, but all great QB’s have good S2 scores. You can’t have a misfiring processor and excel at that position in the NFL. It’s the most difficult position to play in all of Professional sports by far, NFL evaluators can’t figure it out any better than flipping a coin, and I’m all in on believing that this is probably the missing piece on what differentiates in a way they can’t figure out by traditional scouting metrics. 
I expect this to be a hugely important standard in the next 5-10 years and will be a disqualified for smart organizations. 
we shall see. I’m not going to start posting regularly in Texans threads or anything, fear not. I’m out here on this thread unless someone wants to @ me for a bet. 
Willing to Take all bets that the Texans pick is more valuable than the Cleveland pick next year and that Stroud is a bust inside his 4/5 years of team control. 
really easy terms on bust for the #2 pick overall: the Texans will not extend him or franchise him or bring him back on a 30+M a year second contract, and nobody will sign him at whatever the going rate is for a good QB in the NFL at that time (top 15 type salary at the position).  If you don’t hit those metrics on a second contract after going #2 overall as a QB you busted/disappointed/underperformed. 

Name them.

Be honest, you had never heard of the S2 test before three weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

Jalin Hyatt, Minnesota center, and Ringo (Georgia CB) were all fringe first round talent and are around the 20th “best available” if you buy into talking head rankings. Texans will have to trade up from #65 into the mid 2nd to get one of them, but they’d all fill needs with a potential Day 1 starter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not all great S2 scores make great QB’s, but all great QB’s have good S2 scores.

This is such nonsense considering the small sample size of this test. We know the Wonderlic wasn't predictive and this is just the new iteration of that. Very few QBs become great QBs regardless of where they score on this test. I think you are foolish to buy into this dumb pre-draft noise when every NFL team with a need at QB would have taken CJ Stroud if given the chance. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

EXACTLY

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

https://theathletic.com/4455444/2023/04/27/nfl-draft-s2-cognition-cj-stroud-bryce-young/?amp=1

Here’s the article. Feel free to agree or disagree. I think it’s going to be industry best practices inside of 5 years. 

Dude, we are all already aware of it. It's just rumors and draft noise. This happens every year.

Unsurprisingly, draft grades waiver between "they paid too much" to "they got two great players", and sometimes both:

From NFL.com:

Spoiler
Grade
B+

Houston Texans

Draft picks

Analysis: After so much chatter that Houston would pass on a quarterback at No. 2, the Texans made the smart move of using the pick on the second-best passer in the draft. Stroud is an accurate thrower who brings more mobility to the position than some might suggest. The Deshaun Watson trade netted the Texans the 12th overall selection, which they bundled to jump up to No. 3 overall for Anderson. They gave up a second-round pick this year (No. 33) and first- and third-round selections next year (getting a ’23 fourth-rounder back in the deal) to grab the stud pass rusher. I believe that’s too big of a price to pay, even for a talent like Anderson. 

Pro Football Focus:

Spoiler

R1 (2) HOUSTON TEXANS: QB C.J. STROUD, OHIO STATE

Pick Grade: Very Good

After a lot of speculation that they would pass on a signal-caller, the Texans ultimately select the second-ranked quarterback on the PFF big board. Stroud earned a 92.2 PFF grade in 2021, tying with Bryce Young, and he was the seventh-highest-graded player at the position this past season.

R1 (3) HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA AZ): EDGE WILL ANDERSON JR., ALABAMA

Pick Grade: Good

The Texans shock everyone and move up to No. 3 to select the top edge defender on the PFF big board. Anderson produced a PFF grade of 89.8 in 2021 and 83.6 in 2022 and racked up 207 total pressures in three years at Alabama. Houston lands a top player, but they pay a steep price.

Yahoo Sports:

Spoiler

2. Houston Texans: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State — The Texans stayed put and made the most logical pick at this point. They kept their draft capital and still ended up with a top-flight quarterback in Stroud. If his performance against Georgia is who he can be moving forward, this is a slam dunk. He checks off all the boxes. Grade: B+

3. Houston Texans (from Arizona Cardinals): Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama — Anderson is arguably the best defensive player in the draft, but the Texans gave up a lot of draft capital to move up for his services, including trading their 2024 first-round pick to acquire him. He's a sure bet to be a star and the Texans have a pick from the Browns to buffer their loss of draft capital. The loss of draft capital is the only thing knocking this grade down from an A+. Grade: A-

Bleacher Report:

Spoiler

C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Strengths: Precision passer, deadly from a clean pocket, gets the ball out quickly, takes what's available and doesn't force passes

Weaknesses: Muddied pockets limit effectiveness, athleticism was never on full display at collegiate level, can be fooled by post-snap coverage realignments

C.J. Stroud's game feels like watching smooth jazz being played out on the field yet, ironically, it sometimes lacks the creativity often found within the musical discipline.

Everything comes easily. Stroud's mechanics are compact. His throwing stroke is tight and efficient. His footwork in his drops is quick and on point. The two-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year thrives when working in rhythm and on time.

The biggest concern throughout his evaluation is how he handles pressure and what occurs when the structure of a play breaks down around him.

While those perceived issues persisted through two seasons despite an 85-to-12 touchdown-to-interception ratio, Stroud's performance against the Georgia Bulldogs in the College Football Playoff semifinal put most of them to rest.

In arguably the best single-game effort from any prospect in this year's draft class, Stroud deftly navigated the pressure and overwhelming state of the Bulldogs' vaunted defense. The quarterback made play after play to keep his team in the game when the Buckeyes had no right to be. Ultimately, he threw for 348 yards and four touchdowns in the 42-41 loss.

The Houston Texans made the logical choice by addressing the game's most important position. With all of the predraft bluster of the team bypassing a quarterback, someone in the organization understood the franchise's previous standing with Davis Mills as its top quarterback option. Stroud emerged as QB1 in this year's class, according to Bleacher Report's Scouting Department. League evaluators loved his makeup, too. "Might be the cleanest prospect," an NFL exec told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. "Prototypical size (6'3", 214), arm, accuracy. Maybe not a premium athlete but might be a little underrated in that regard. He's impressive."

The Texans needed a quarterback since they decided to move on from Deshaun Watson, and Stroud can immediately thrive in an offense with a strong offensive line and Dameon Pierce behind (or beside him). Plus, the Texans have another first-round selection to further address roster concerns.

Grade: A

00:03

00:59

3. Houston Texans (via Arizona)

3 OF 31

Sean Gardner/Getty Images

Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama

Strengths: Quick first step, heavy hands, physical at the point of attack, equally good in both phases of the game, disciplined defender, excellent when stunting and on slants thanks to elite lateral ability, high motor

Weaknesses: Not quite as flexible off edge as some elite pass-rushers

Alabama's Will Anderson Jr. is a historically good prospect, hence why he's the Bleacher Report Scouting Department's No. 1 overall player in the class. When compared to some of the best defenders of the last 15 years, Anderson has them all beat. The two-time SEC Defensive Player of the Year proved to be more productive than fellow early entrants Jadeveon Clowney, Myles Garrett and Travon Walker–all of whom went No. 1 overall in their respective draft classes.

Anderson, who played three seasons for the Crimson Tide, even posted more career sacks than Aaron Donald and tackles for loss than Ndamukong Suh when both of those dominant collegiate defenders played four years. A certain level of intimidation exists because Anderson is such a well-rounded prospect.

"He's like Derrick Thomas. He has great get-off and length," an anonymous coach told The Athletic's Bruce Feldman.

"When we played against Myles Garrett, we said, 'Let's run right at him.' The thing with Will is he's equally good against the run. He's hard to chip. You try to put two guys on him, and he does just as good a job of twisting and moving."

The Houston Texans are not messing around one bit. First, the organization lands its franchise quarterback in Ohio State's C.J. Stroud. Then, it doubles back by trading to the third overall pick to get its defensive centerpiece in Anderson. Arizona received this year's 12th overall pick, the 33rd overall selection, next year's first- and third-round picks. DeMeco Ryans made a massive statement that the Texans are no longer rebuilding. They're here to compete for the AFC South. A better start can't be imagined after landing the class' QB1 and No. 1 overall prospect.

Cue the video, "I want you to put the word out there, that we back up."

Grade: A+

CBS Sports:

Spoiler

2. Texans: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Grade: B

They had to take the shot at the quarterback, so it's the smart thing to do. I would have taken Will Levis, but I get it. Stroud has the ability to become a good starting quarterback. 

3. Texans: Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama

Grade: B-

They gave up a ton to get him. He better be Von Miller. I don't think he is that. He's a good player, but is he dynamic? No. He doesn't seem like a great fit in their scheme. 

The Ringer:

Spoiler

C.J. STROUD

QUARTERBACKOHIO STATE
C.J. Stroud
HEIGHT 6'3"
WEIGHT 214

YEAR JUNIOR
AGE 21.5
2022 STATS
Based on 13 games played
  • Touchdowns
    41TDS
  • Interceptions
    6INTS
  • Yards
    3688YDS
  • Yards Per Attempt
    9.5YPA
  • Passer Rating
    177.7RTG
COMBINE RESULTS
  • Arm length32 5/8"
  • Hand size10"
Not tested: 40-yard dash, Vertical jump, Bench press, Broad jump, 3-cone drill, 20-yard shuttlePercentiles are calculated based on how a player performed compared to his position group across the past 10 combines.
VIDEO: IS C.J. STROUD THE MOST TALENTED PASSER IN THE 2023 NFL DRAFT?
HOUSTON TEXANSA+

Reason prevails! Despite a litany of reports connecting the Texans to a bevy of non-quarterbacks over the past week, Houston smartly addresses the most critical position in all of sports—and they do it with my highest-ranked passer. Stroud is a hyper-accurate and well-rounded signal-caller who plays with a steely demeanor. He’ll have to prove he can further develop as an out-of-structure playmaker, but he’s got the tools to quickly establish himself as the Texans’ starter.

WILL ANDERSON JR.

EDGE RUSHERALABAMA
Will Anderson Jr.
HEIGHT 6'4"
WEIGHT 253

YEAR JUNIOR
AGE 21.6
2022 STATS
Based on 13 games played
  • Tackles
    51TKLS
  • Interceptions
    17TFL
  • Sacks
    10SACKS
COMBINE RESULTS
  • 40-yard dash4.6s

67th Percentile
  • Arm length33 7/8"
  • Hand size9 7/8"
Not tested: Vertical jump, Bench press, Broad jump, 3-cone drill, 20-yard shuttlePercentiles are calculated based on how a player performed compared to his position group across the past 10 combines.
HOUSTON TEXANSC+

Well, Houston has officially blasted off. After taking my second-ranked player in C.J. Stroud at no. 2, the Texans trade back up and grab my top-ranked player in Anderson. The former Crimson Tide star is a plug-and-play starter who checks all the boxes you’re looking for at the edge rusher position, boasting athleticism, length, power, and a history of high-level production. But the Texans had to give up a veritable treasure trove of picks to make this move, sending the Cardinals no. 12 and no. 33 along with a 2024 first-round pick and a 2024 third-round pick (getting back no. 105). I love Anderson, but that’s a steep, steep price to pay for any non-quarterback—especially when you’re a rebuilding team with holes to fill everywhere. I’ve got to dock them pretty harshly on value.

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Gladwell talked about putting QB’s through special forces training to deal with quickening processing and decision making under fire 10 years ago, conceptually this isn’t different from that. I’ve been aware of this theory and supported this idea since I read/thought about it over 15 years ago and have actually given the book away to people I thought might be interested in it and had conversations about this very thing. 

https://theathletic.com/4455444/2023/04/27/nfl-draft-s2-cognition-cj-stroud-bryce-young/?amp=1

Here’s the article. Feel free to agree or disagree. I think it’s going to be industry best practices inside of 5 years. 

From the industry that felt it was best practice to ask Dez Bryant whether or not his mother was a prostitute, to ask multiple prospects if they were gay or not, that asked prospects if they found their own mother attractive, and once asked a prospect if they had to choose a murder weapon, would they go knife or gun... You're painting the NFL as a think tank, when they could just as easily be painted as the drunk tank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who are all of the great QBs who performed well on the S2?

Heard on Dan Patrick Show that the high price of Texans trade including the two early 2024 picks to move up to #3 pick seemed like a huge desperation move by the Texans' GM worried about losing his job.  

Their statement:  "GM doesn't care about future draft picks if he loses his job".

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Heard on Dan Patrick Show that the high price of Texans trade including the two early 2024 picks to move up to #3 pick seemed like a huge desperation move by the Texans' GM worried about losing his job.  

Their statement:  "GM doesn't care about future draft picks if he loses his job".

The level of desperation kind of depends on the 2024 picks they are left with. 

20 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

The above assumes the 2024 first round pick is #5…

Here’s the Texans 2023 opponent list. They have 9 home games. The Titans (x2) and Colts (x2) will be shitty. The Falcons and Bucs will probably be bad. Cardinals could be bad. Who knows with Panthers, Broncos, and Saints? They usually split with Jax. It would be great to beat Cleveland for draft picks and f Deshaun. Ravens, Jets, Bengals look like losses on paper, but the NFL has a lot of WTF games. 

The 2024 Texans won’t be a playoff team, but they probably won’t be bottom 5 either. 

2023 OPPONENTS AT NRG STADIM
ARIZONA CARDINALS
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
DENVER BRONCOS
CLEVELAND BROWNS
PITTSBURGH STEELERS
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
TENNESSEE TITANS
2023 ROAD OPPONENTS
ATLANTA FALCONS
CAROLINA PANTHERS
BALTIMORE RAVENS
CINCINNATI BENGALS
NEW YORK JETS
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
TENNESSEE TITANS
Edited by Murfdogg21

5 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

From the industry that felt it was best practice to ask Dez Bryant whether or not his mother was a prostitute, to ask multiple prospects if they were gay or not, that asked prospects if they found their own mother attractive, and once asked a prospect if they had to choose a murder weapon, would they go knife or gun... You're painting the NFL as a think tank, when they could just as easily be painted as the drunk tank.

This S2 shit that came out right before the draft is pretty much the only knock on CJ Stroud. There's ample tape of him processing the game of football against college opponents and tape of him carving up Georgia's defense, not to mention the in-person interviews and analyses of scouts and his own coaches.

The Browns play the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers twice, the 49ers, and Jets. Mid level opponents of Jax, Broncos, Cardinals. Only gimmes are probably Titans and Colts. The Texans and Browns picks might not be far apart.

2023 Cleveland Browns Opponents

Home

Ravens, Bengals, Steelers, Cardinals, Bears, Jaguars, Jets, 49ers, Titans

Away

Ravens, Bengals, Steelers, Broncos, Texans, Colts

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Has an Ohio St QB ever done good in the NFL before?

That has always been a terrible argument. Vince Young's failures in the NFL have nothing to do with whether Ewers or Manning or Murphy will be successful.

• Hook 'Em 3

Won’t carry on discussion anymore here and will leave y’all to thread. I’m starting a new thread on this of anyone is interested in talking about it there that’s cool. I don’t need to detail this thread and to talk about the test or idea probably does that in a way that mentioning I think stroud will be a bust doesn’t. 

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Gladwell talked about putting QB’s through special forces training to deal with quickening processing and decision making under fire 10 years ago, conceptually this isn’t different from that. I’ve been aware of this theory and supported this idea since I read/thought about it over 15 years ago and have actually given the book away to people I thought might be interested in it and had conversations about this very thing. 

Where was your stance on Vince's wonderlic score?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

That has always been a terrible argument. Vince Young's failures in the NFL have nothing to do with whether Ewers or Manning or Murphy will be successful.

Depends if they are similar style and come out of the same offense with same coaches. Not fair to compare a Sark-coaches Arch Manning to GD-coach VY. Might be more fair to compare Ohio St. guys all coming from the Urban/Ryan Day system and how they didn’t live up to expectations in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Not to mention the fact that some posters in this thread have never heard of Justin Fields or what he did in the 2022 NFL season.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Vince was about 10 years too soon in the NFL :( 

It's a shame a lot of those mid 90s-early 2010s dual threat QB's were forced into dinosaur offenses when they got to the league. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Won’t carry on discussion anymore here and will leave y’all to thread. I’m starting a new thread on this of anyone is interested in talking about it there that’s cool. I don’t need to detail this thread and to talk about the test or idea probably does that in a way that mentioning I think stroud will be a bust doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

I'm curious to hear how the critics think the Texans should have drafted.

Anderson at 2 and then wait on a QB at 12? Who would that have been, Will Levis? Or BPA at 12 and then punt on QB until later? If so, who?

I'm not a Texan or Cowboys fan but I think Carter may have been a better take than Anderson but we will see. Those are arguably the two best defensive prospects.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Where was your stance on Vince's wonderlic score?

Nice try narc. I will never anything bad about Vincent Paul Young Jr. he’s a longhorn legend and I named my golden retriever in his honor because my wife wouldn’t let me name our son Vince. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I dont have a problem with either pick and the aggresiveness was fun to see but that trade was dumb as fuck. Giving up a likely top 10 pick next year (very possibly #1) AND #33 this year??? It wouldve been a bad trade even without 33. 

And no one will care if/when Stroud becomes a franchise qb and Anderson achieves Pro Bowl status. 

39 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It would if Ewers and Manning had played in basically the same system as Young, like all the recent flame out Ohio St QBs have. Unstoppable in college, can’t hack it in the pros. All of them.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Or, they loved the player and wanted to make sure they got him while also taking the best available QB at 2.  And they still have a bunch of picks this year and a first rounder next year.  I feel like some people are forgetting that they had two first rounders next year; they didn't trade away their only one.  So, on paper, did the Texans overpay for a 3rd overall pick?  Maybe, but that's an oversimplification.

Look, you acquire draft capital to spend it, one way or the other.  Spending it the way Houston spent it is fine, as long as you end up being right about the guy you're taking being a home run.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It would if Ewers and Manning had played in basically the same system as Young, like all the recent flame out Ohio St QBs have. Unstoppable in college, can’t hack it in the pros. All of them.

I still disagree. They are all different guys with different attributes. OSU recruits elite and elite quarterbacks in high school might or might not become elite pros whether the recruitment was won by Day or by Smart or Saban. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

You could say the same of Bama QBs:

Tua (jury out)

Mac Jones (not looking good)

Greg McElroy

John Parker Wilson

Brodie Croyle

AJ McCarron

But I looked over your profile and didn’t see you bagging on Bryce Young.

3 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

If the Texans had passed on Stroud, he’d have been selected by division rival Indianapolis, become the 2024 Offensive ROY, named to the Pro Bowl, led them to a win in the Super Bowl, and haunted Houston for years to come.

Instead he'll be a bust and haunt Houston for years to come. - Texans fans

I hope it works out, I liked Anderson. I think Stroud will be a bust but I hope he proves everyone wrong. Maybe with a structured offense, he can excel until he decides he wants to be coached and works at recognition and progressions. Need to take skill positions with at least 2 of the next 4 picks.

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

You could say the same of Bama QBs:

Tua (jury out)

Mac Jones (not looking good)

Greg McElroy

John Parker Wilson

Brodie Croyle

AJ McCarron

But I looked over your profile and didn’t see you bagging on Bryce Young.

Is he not universally regarded as a bust? Didn’t think I had to spell that one out. He’s 5’10 and a system QB, no idea what Carolina was thinking.