NFL Playoffs

Vic Mackey

I think drafting for the NFL might be one of the hardest jobs on the planet. I never would have guessed that Mahomes would be one of the top QBs in the league after watching him at Tech. Josh Allen? No way. 

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think drafting for the NFL might be one of the hardest jobs on the planet. I never would have guessed that Mahomes would be one of the top QBs in the league after watching him at Tech. Josh Allen? No way. 

Same. Mahomes put up some good numbers but I just passed it off ass the Tech system which has inflated a lot of QBs in their past. I had no idea he would take the league by storm. Josh Allen always had a big arm and fit the size prototype but accuracy seemed to be his issue. He's improved every year of his pro career and is now considered one of the top QBs. Others are easier to predict such as Burrow and Lawrence. 

And guys like Purdy are a product of the right environment. He went to a team that has great coaching and a system that the QB can thrive, no matter his skillset. They got to 2 NFC title games and a Super Bowl with Jimmy G. Coupled that with the best defense in the league and playmakers all over the place. Other QBs go to places like Chicago or the Jets and their careers take a drastically different turn.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Opposite for me. Mahomes was fun as shit to watch. I went out of my way to watch Tech when he was there because he threw the shit out of the football. Lasers all over the field. They would score 40+ points every game and somehow(coach bro) would end up losing most of them.

Also i can remember a short period of time a few years ago where Brock Purdy had a string of really good games and people sort of talked him up as being a good pro prospect. Then he just kinda fell off. Wonder what happened there.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I disagree. He was a very good high school qb and then started 48 games in college, very rare these days. He was a top performer in the Big 12. He commands the huddle and has leadership for days, great poise in the pocket. He is super intelligent and has a solid grasp
If his offense already.

I think he’s going to have a nice career as long as he has a coach like shanahan.

Can Dan Quinn get pressure on him and have a confusing coverage scheme? That’s the key to the game. Besides stopping the run.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I disagree. He was a very good high school qb and then started 48 games in college, very rare these days. He was a top performer in the Big 12. He commands the huddle and has leadership for days, great poise in the pocket. He is super intelligent and has a solid grasp
If his offense already.

I think he’s going to have a nice career as long as he has a coach like shanahan.

Can Dan Quinn get pressure on him and have a confusing coverage scheme? That’s the key to the game. Besides stopping the run.

He's not a seasoned vet and is prone to bad reads, that's what Dallas needs to get him in. SF has a great run game and a great defense. If Dallas can't stop the run and force Purdy through quick progressions, guy will sit back and throw to his TE on the cross, backs in the flats and then hit the deep ball when it is well set-up. Dallas needs to rattle his cage all day long. Tough task, but anything is doable. Fuck sitting back in coverage hoping he makes a mistake, speed the game up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

OK, I realize I'm out of touch and all but when did they start playing division championship games at neutral sites?

Is Delta the title sponsor?

It's a one off because of the Bills game that was cancelled messed up their formula for determining home field advantage 

• Hook 'Em 2

My picks:

Bengals 27 - Bills 24

Jags 31 - Kansas City 28

Eagles 24 - Giants 25

SF 34 - Dallas 39 

The scores are way off…lulz. I do believe that even with the OLine injured the Bengals will make the AFC championship. I do think Dallas wins in a slugfest and the Giants are somehow able to put score the Fecals. Getting the bye week I feel like hurts the Eagles. Need to have played and be in more of a rhythm. Least popular pick is Jags beating KC. Jags should get beat like a drum but I believe in their coach and their QB. KC does have weapons but not as many as in years past and their defense isn’t as salty. SF hasn’t played very good teams in the last several weeks. We shall see…they have very elite players and an elite HC. I think Dallas matches up well in most positions. I’d give the edge to SF on having better weapons. And on HC/play calling. We need turnovers. 

I thought this was interesting. Player postseason play. Hadn’t really thought about it much. 

Players will receive the following amounts for the 2022 season's playoffs:

Wild card division winners: $46,500

Other wild cards: $41,500

Wild card byes: $41,500

Divisional round: $46,500

Conference championships: $69,000

Super Bowl winner: $157,000

Super Bowl loser: $82,000

Players earn their base salary over the course of the 18-week regular season.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-an-inside-look-at-postseason-pay-and-how-brock-purdy-can-benefit-most-by-winning-super-bowl/

Anyway the article goes on to describe all the amounts (half and full) and different categories. For instance:Bills safety Damar Hamlin is among the players eligible for payment through the second category. He is on injured reserve while recovering from cardiac arrest after making a tackle in a Jan. 2 game against the Bengals.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

My picks:

Bengals 27 - Bills 24

The scores are way off…lulz. I do believe that even with the OLine injured the Bengals will make the AFC championship. I do think Dallas wins in a slugfest and the Giants are somehow able to put score the Fecals. Getting the bye week I feel like hurts the Eagles. Need to have played and be in more of a rhythm. Least popular pick is Jags beating KC. Jags should get beat like a drum but I believe in their coach and their QB. KC does have weapons but not as many as in years past and their defense isn’t as salty. SF hasn’t played very good teams in the last several weeks. We shall see…they have very elite players and an elite HC. I think Dallas matches up well in most positions. I’d give the edge to SF on having better weapons. And on HC/play calling. We need turnovers. 

I think it will take more than belief & hope for that offensive line. 

Pitt v FSU in hoops at 3 p.m. est. before I start watching football.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

He's not a seasoned vet and is prone to bad reads, that's what Dallas needs to get him in. SF has a great run game and a great defense. If Dallas can't stop the run and force Purdy through quick progressions, guy will sit back and throw to his TE on the cross, backs in the flats and then hit the deep ball when it is well set-up. Dallas needs to rattle his cage all day long. Tough task, but anything is doable. Fuck sitting back in coverage hoping he makes a mistake, speed the game up. 

If.....IF.....we can pressure Purdy anything like what we did to Brady it'll be a fun evening.

5 minutes ago, Augustus said:

If.....IF.....we can pressure Purdy anything like what we did to Brady it'll be a fun evening.

The key to all of this is actually the offense getting off to a hot start scoring (along with the defense holding things in check). San Fran will NOT abandon the run but if you can get them down 10-14 points they may be prone to do a little less of it and then you can turn the pass rush loose a little more freely.  Game stays tight 49ers will be in good spot to fully run their offense. 

Dallas defense is hell on a pass heavy offense, but a balanced offense tends to give them fits.  Unlike Tampa Bay the 49ers do not come in with a shitty run game so gotta use our offense to try to force the imbalance on their side.  This is how Dallas ended up on the right side of some pretty big asskickings when things snowballed on their opponent.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The key to all of this is actually the offense getting off to a hot start scoring (along with the defense holding things in check). San Fran will NOT abandon the run but if you can get them down 10-14 points they may be prone to do a little less of it and then you can turn the pass rush loose a little more freely.  Game stays tight 49ers will be in good spot to fully run their offense. 

Dallas defense is hell on a pass heavy offense, but a balanced offense tends to give them fits.  Unlike Tampa Bay the 49ers do not come in with a shitty run game so gotta use our offense to try to force the imbalance on their side.  This is how Dallas ended up on the right side of some pretty big asskickings when things snowballed on their opponent.

It's also how they buttfucked themselves at Green Bay and Jacksonville.  

The bottom line is that barring some freaky turnovers in our favor, it's just gonna take an "A" game from the whole team/staff.  For the Cowboys, this is really the NFC Championship, imo.  I'm not nearly as worried about Philly or NY.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I think it’s more a matter of can the Cowboys’ defense handle the confusing 49er offensive scheme. As for putting pressure on Purdy, the 49ers can combat that with the short passing game and the run-after-catch abilities of Deebo and McCaffrey. 

18 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I feel like KC runs away with this.

It depends on what half team shows up for the Jags. If it’s the second half team that showed up against the Chargers this will be close and competitive. I didn’t see their  earlier matchup on November 13th but it was a ten point game and I think that played a lot into the line for this one. If it’s close in the 4th it will come down to coaching. Jags can’t get into a hole because Mahomes will just blow them up.