NFL Playoffs

Vic Mackey

53 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

The NFL needs 2 bye weeks in the regular season. Especially if/when they add an 18th game

Este.  The quality of the game drops off so badly in December as we lose starters and end up with guys who were roofing houses or in practice squads a month earlier in starting roles.  

Starting to wonder if all the playoff teams should get a week off between regular season and playoffs.   
Might result in a lot better games in the playoffs... 

Nope. Networks won’t allow it. League doesn’t want it. Gives losing teams another week advantage. Delays in coaching fills.

Another good thing that failed was the NFL’s beta test for an offsite AFC Championship. I’m supremely glad that blew up in their face. Glad that the Bengals were insulted. For all the bitching that people do about NFL being rigged and creating their narrative and executing it the Bengals told them to fuck off. Judging from the reactions of most everyone…no one thought the offsite game was a good idea. That won’t stop Roger and the NFL from trying it again but at least Burrow (Joe Cool/IceMan) and Cincy blew that up this year. This pleases me and I hope they go on to win the SB. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Este.  The quality of the game drops off so badly in December as we lose starters and end up with guys who were roofing houses or in practice squads a month earlier in starting roles.  

why the hell is an active gameday roster still only 46 players???  The roster needs to be 60 active guys, everyone active.  Why the hell does the active rule exist anyway??

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

With the current practice squad rules it isn't far from that now. They league allows 46 active on game day because that's the league's owners general consensus on what they actually need to suit up. The reserve stock they have now is far more expansive than the league has ever had before. And they're probably going to expand it again to add a third emergency qb option.

Edited by DougO

Just now, DougO said:

With the current practice squad rules it isn't far from that now. They league allows 46 active on game day because that's the league's owners general consensus on what they ac5ually need to suit up. The reserve stock they have now is far more expansive than the league has ever had before.

but if they are inactive, it's useless.  I say activate everyone, even the practice squad.  Suppose the PK is hurt in game, the backup PK doesn't need to be activated to kick the game winner, otherwise the team loses. 

37 minutes ago, DougO said:

And they're probably going to expand it again to add a third emergency qb option.

I think the league should require tems to have former QBs of each franchise on-site during their games.   That way, if QB1 and QB2 go down, bring in the gimp!

but if they are inactive, it's useless.  I say activate everyone, even the practice squad.  Suppose the PK is hurt in game, the backup PK doesn't need to be activated to kick the game winner, otherwise the team loses. 

The 53 gets a game check regardless of active /inactive. They can elevate 2 PS players each week with no penalty. Still 46 actives. So the 46 is an arbitrary number to park injured players without IR. I think they should go 50 game active and 58 total plus 16 PS. The union doesn’t want expansion as it dilutes their pie.

12 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The 53 gets a game check regardless of active /inactive. They can elevate 2 PS players each week with no penalty. Still 46 actives. So the 46 is an arbitrary number to park injured players without IR. I think they should go 50 game active and 58 total plus 16 PS. The union doesn’t want expansion as it dilutes their pie.

why not 53 game active? Awash in money, the owners can handle anything, not to mention all the public money they get for the stadiums. It's slavery. 

They have always had limits. When I was a kid the 53 was just 40 players.

How is it slavery? If you’re on the 53 you get a game check whether active or not and those games count towards pension. Usually they are injured players you don’t want to put on ir.

So what is the status of dinged up players that can’t go? Are they on the 53 and not playing? It’s not as simple as having all 53 play.

Slavery my ass. Pretty sure you can quit if you don’t like it. Doesn’t seem like slaves had that option. Also there’s the whole getting paid thing which I don’t think slaves had either. But maybe I’m misreading.

I think you’re missing the part about lifelong dreams for the opportunity at the NFL/slavery. They gotta be similar.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:12 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

NFL HFA is very important. That being said, Joe Burrow is god and can overcome KC which is banged up. 

Doesnt' matter. Eagles are your Superbowl champ. 

Hurts' shoulder is still bothering him. Apparently, the 45-yard pass he threw early Sunday was the first pass he's thrown anywhere NEAR THAT FAR (ADDED thru EDIT) since the injury. And the Eagles didn't throw another one after that. I still can't wrap my mind around Hurts leading a team to a Super Bowl win so I'm still going with the Bengals to win it all. Whoever survives the next two weeks will have earned it. This is as salty a Final Four as I can remember.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:27 PM, Nicole44 said:

Yep. I think the AFC Champion Bengals will wipe the floor with the Fecals after the Fecals smack down the 49’ers

I don't know.  I liked the Bengals and Cowboys.  And the first 24 years of the Super Bowl there were only 5 interesting games.  And the Bengals or Cowboys lost all of them.  Then Buffalo lost by 1 and it was another 10 years before there was an interesting Super Bowl.

The Bengals and Cowboys have each lost 3 Super Bowls and they all have been interesting games.  So if the Bengals get there and its close, expect the other team to win.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:46 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

why not 53 game active? Awash in money, the owners can handle anything, not to mention all the public money they get for the stadiums. It's slavery

Using that word in reference to *any* occupation that pays what these players make is so far beyond the pale.  I always wonder how anyone who was actually enslaved would feel about that comparison.  Playing in the NFL isn't just a privilege, it's about as much a privilege as one can hope/dream for.  

• Like 1

I don't know.  I liked the Bengals and Cowboys.  And the first 24 years of the Super Bowl there were only 5 interesting games.  And the Bengals or Cowboys lost all of them.  Then Buffalo lost by 1 and it was another 10 years before there was an interesting Super Bowl.
The Bengals and Cowboys have each lost 3 Super Bowls and they all have been interesting games.  So if the Bengals get there and its close, expect the other team to win.

So Bengals/49ers III. 20-16 or 26-21?

On 1/25/2023 at 10:51 AM, Brothahorn said:
On 1/24/2023 at 10:12 PM, bullet said:

So Bengals/49ers III. 20-16 or 26-21?

We got oh so close last year to that match up, but I think not.  Eagles/ Bengals.  Bengals take it.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sorry if this has been discussed. But I really can’t believe the NFL would consider having future conference championship games at neutral sites. What a horrifically bad idea that would be.

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2023/01/22/nfl-playoffs-conference-championships-neutral-sites

Just think about it from the league perspective 

Hh9IU-1464019894-4147-list_items-scrooge