Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

1 minute ago, nbmishoid said:

Yes, and yes.  That group of red 150 will never vote for a debt limit increase under ANY circumstances.  That is direct violation of the 14th, and must be recognized.

They’d vote for it under a Republican president. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nothing like a bunch of right wing terrorists who have no clue what a default will do to our economy, or they don't care, stupidly pushing us to the brink because they want to inflict pain on people who get money from the government. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

On 5/17/2023 at 9:10 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

That is from 2019.

Well, Biden did beat him like a drum.

43 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well and because they want to win 2024.

That's the only thing they care about.  They want to win so they can pass more policies/ tax cuts that benefit their donors.  They have no platform but that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

So you say, missy, I have my doubts.

Missy? You also sound like a moron

The debt limit has been lifted 78 times since 1960 — 49 times under a Republican president and 29 times under a Democrat — according to the Treasury Department.

Three of those times were during the Trump administration. In 2017, 2018, and 2019 Congress approved measures to lift the ceiling shortly before it was reached.

All three times, Congress didn’t vote to raise the limit by a specific amount, the way they usually do, and the way they most recently did in 2021 when Biden was in office. Instead, they voted to suspendthe limit altogether, allowing the Treasury to borrow the funds it needed at will.

Then, when the suspension was over, a new ceiling was automatically installed based on how much the Treasury had borrowed in the interim.

As a result, the debt ceiling rose by several trillion dollars during Trump’s term.

None of the suspension bills included the kinds of cuts to federal spending that Republicans are now calling for. In fact, spending increased by roughly $3 trillion during Trump’s time in office, due in large part to the federal government’s pandemic response.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Missy? You also sound like a moron

Js1

Apologies, it’s a line from Randy Newman’s song, “Shame”.  Check your satire meter.  A cultural expression of doubt.  Not of your veracity or character, but of the subject of our discussion.   Finally, check out that song.  

• Hook 'Em 1

And as to that topic, I am doubting that this group of red 150 would ever sign (now, for this administration) and I don’t see that prior examples, of more principled groups of legislators, removes that doubt.

Edited by nbmishoid
Abc

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Well and because they want to win 2024.

Do we think a default plays well to voters in the few swing states that exist?

I’m not sure. Based on the trends, I think a default pushes the moderates in those states to vote for candidates that appear sane. 

If Trumps the candidate, I just don’t think it matters as the MAGA House Rs will be blamed for any default.

2 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Do we think a default plays well to voters in the few swing states that exist?

I’m not sure. Based on the trends, I think a default pushes the moderates in those states to vote for candidates that appear sane. 

If Trumps the candidate, I just don’t think it matters as the MAGA House Rs will be blamed for any default.

Not in any real amount that matters, and no republican voters will never blame anyone with an R

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Not in any real amount that matters, and no republican voters will never blame anyone with an R

But that’s the thing, I would assume 95% of voters already know if they are voting R or D. Based on the EC, there are only a few states that matter and in those states a few votes either way might make a difference.

democrats do a really bad job of hammering home that republicans and their policies have destroyed the fiscal stability track we were on ~25 years ago and that republican priorities should be on the axe if republicans want to axe something.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 5/19/2023 at 6:29 PM, elfenix said:

democrats do a really bad job of hammering home that republicans and their policies have destroyed the fiscal stability track we were on ~25 years ago and that republican priorities should be on the axe if republicans want to axe something.

It is said all the time, the people who should care don't, because dead babies and tranny rape in the bathrooms. They are complete morons who don't fucking care about anything but "lib tears."

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

It is said all the time, the people who should care don't, because dead babies and tranny rape in the bathrooms. They are complete morons who don't fucking care about anything but "lib tears."

narrator: they never really cared about the debt

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d love to hear an actual theory for how it gets averted without Biden taking the 14th amendment path or minting the coin. Because I seriously doubt there’s any way right now to get the GOP house to vote to approve any deal, even one that gives them 100% of what they’ve demanded.

On 5/19/2023 at 2:51 PM, mdmost said:

Nothing like a bunch of right wing terrorists who have no clue what a default will do to our economy, or they don't care, stupidly pushing us to the brink because they want to inflict pain on people who get money from the government. 

Lets not forget that they ARE the ones who get money from the government. Red States save Florida and Texas take way more than they give. 

20 hours ago, mdmost said:

Seems like kinda a big deal given how low the Colorado is getting. 

I honestly never thought any kind of deal could be struck by these states. And the funding in exchange seems...small. 

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I’d love to hear an actual theory for how it gets averted without Biden taking the 14th amendment path or minting the coin. Because I seriously doubt there’s any way right now to get the GOP house to vote to approve any deal, even one that gives them 100% of what they’ve demanded.

I don't even think McCarthy will bring it to a vote. Which is absurd because democrats have said they'd work to keep his gavel if they got 5 guys to vote for passing the debt ceiling clean. It's a better deal than he'll get from his own fucking party. 

I think we should always factor in that some in the GOP simply do not believe that our government should exist and will do what they can to break it where able. I'm getting to the mindset that they know they don't have a sellable vision to win elections, so they want to transform our government to become a shell, only propped up and ran by special interests. They want a Russia/China style system ran by them, regardless of repercussions, because then they stay in power. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’ll believe it when it passes

Actually, Biden has done his part.  He negotiated when he theoretically didn't have to and reached an agreement with SotH.

Now, if McCarthy can't get his team on board, it's on him.  So:

-  if it passes Biden is the hero,

-  if it fails McCarthy et al are the goats.  

The best you can hope for. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.reuters.com/markets/asia/us-led-indo-pacific-talks-produce-deal-supply-chain-early-warnings-2023-05-27/

U.S.-led Indo-Pacific talks produce deal on supply chain early warnings

Trade ministers of 14 countries in the U.S.-led Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF) talks "substantially completed" a deal to make supply chains more resilient and secure, the Commerce Department said on Saturday, marking the first tangible results of the year-long negotiations.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo told a press conference in Detroit that the "first of its kind" agreement calls for countries to form a council to coordinate supply chain activities and a "Crisis Response Network" to give early warnings to IPEF countries of potential supply disruptions.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

On 5/19/2023 at 3:43 PM, TexasEd said:

Well, Biden did beat him like a drum.

That's the only thing they care about.  They want to win so they can pass more policies/ tax cuts that benefit their donors.  They have no platform but that.

Uh…. They want to ban humans too.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

The poor junior media staffer that has to work on a holiday weekend to make a piece featuring this clip has my admiration and sympathies.

I read this quote in Dierk's voice from Letterkenny.  Very smooth, very nice, very tough...

47 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I reckon McCarthy got told to make a deal by GOP mega donors who didn't want to lose a huge chunk of their wealth overnight.

Same. Sounds like the only real concession was $10bn to IRS which nobody cares about and some easy to spoof new requirements for able bodied adults under 54 years old to check the box in order to continue with welfare.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I reckon McCarthy got told to make a deal by GOP mega donors who didn't want to lose a huge chunk of their wealth overnight.

Once a man makes his first billion dollars, he loses all desire to one day barter using Mercury dimes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1