Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

I really think the psychological studies are going to be nuts. I think it comes down to wealth inequality and the leaving behind of the rurals by the corporations. We all remember when Walmart started coming into small towns and putting local businesses under. This is the result. People are angry that their lives aren’t what they thought they would be and they need something to blame. 
They should get some bootstraps.
  • Hook 'Em 1

They base this on heavily edited videos. 

someone above nailed the asshole Californians that have moved to Texas. Most of the ones I know are Magats 
The results of Californiaing Texas:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2018/11/09/native-texans-voted-for-native-texan-beto-o-rourke-transplants-went-for-ted-cruz-exit-poll-shows/%3foutputType=amp

For some reason, I thought ol' Ralph had died a while ago. I voted for him in Bush/Gore 2000 since I knew my vote in Texas wouldn't count anyway. I went to a rally in Austin for him where Patti Smith and Jackson Browne played, at the Tony Burger auditorium. It was awesome, in this old school gym, Patti looking homeless but in fine form while Ralph danced like the very whitest of old white guys. Fond memories of that weird event.

On 5/10/2023 at 1:53 PM, Biff Tannen said:

My wife tried to tell me yesterday that Joe is too old and needs to be primaried.  

Joe was not my first choice. Hell, he wasn’t my fourth choice. But he has crushed my expectations. Not to mention, from a purely political strategy standpoint, you don’t try to primary your own incumbent unless they are absolutely terrible at the job. Joe is pretty damn good, all things considered. 

Probably the most effective president given the make up of congress - razor thin majority or split - in decades. And that doesn’t even begin to account for his foreign policy and international successes. Total rock star and that points to the benefit of a career politician in the position (we all know the detriments). 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

For some reason, I thought ol' Ralph had died a while ago. I voted for him in Bush/Gore 2000 since I knew my vote in Texas wouldn't count anyway. I went to a rally in Austin for him where Patti Smith and Jackson Browne played, at the Tony Burger auditorium. It was awesome, in this old school gym, Patti looking homeless but in fine form while Ralph danced like the very whitest of old white guys. Fond memories of that weird event.

Now I will always mentally link Nader with Bob Euker 

20 hours ago, elfenix said:

This tracks. In my old neighborhood in Austin, we saw many of these California types. They are not your stereotypical poor MAGA, but more like Tennessee trash. Meaning jacked up truck, huge ski boat, gaggle of kids, rifle coffee, joe Rogan listening douchebags. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This tracks. In my old neighborhood in Austin, we saw many of these California types. They are not your stereotypical poor MAGA, but more like Tennessee trash. Meaning jacked up truck, huge ski boat, gaggle of kids, rifle coffee, joe Rogan listening douchebags. 

Like I said makes me want to vomit. LT has them too.

They’re poor, just materially wealthy and in debt up to their eyeballs
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 5/4/2023 at 12:58 PM, Incredulity said:

https://www.newsweek.com/republican-admits-key-informant-against-joe-biden-now-missing-1800209

Update to the story.

You can’t make this shit up.

The whistleblower who wants whistleblower protection has an informant who has the info but they can’t find him. He went for some cigarettes and didn’t come back home.

Well, unfortunately, we can't track down the informant," Comer responded on Sunday. "We're hopeful that the informant is still there. The whistleblower knows the informant. The whistleblower is very credible."

Comer also criticized the FBI's efforts to investigate the allegation, before Bartiromo asked him again about the informant, "Did you just say that the whistleblower or the informant is now missing?"

"Well, we're hopeful that we can find the informant," Comer responded, adding that the informant was in the "spy business" and therefore "they don't make a habit of being seen a lot."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

She said that if the informant doesn't want to be found, we're not gonna find him. She said I could be the informant and you wouldn't know it.

Are you the informant?

No.

I'm not the informant. That's two down. 

Denying being the informant sounds exactly like what the informant would say.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 12:41 PM, washparkhorn said:

Cats and dogs joining forces against the utter depravity of trumpism. (Nader and Old GOP mastermind Bruce Bartlett)

On 5/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

On 5/12/2023 at 1:45 PM, safe sex said:

Fuck Nader

Ralph Nadar is a terrible, terrible person whose vanity candidacy in 2000 likely cost thousands of American soldiers and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis their lives.  He's not quite Henry Kissinger, but he deserves a punch in the mouth and should have the grace to disappear forever from the American political scene, given the blood on his hands..  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

We should hold him accountable for being able to predict the Cheney neo-con takeover of the Bush presidency and its ensuing disaster?

Who do you think was on the ticket as Bush's Vice President when he ran in 2000?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

was it... Cheney? Still begs the question of whether Ralph should have foreseen the intent and ability to start the Iraq and Afghanistan wars before 911 even happened.  Anyway, don't blame me, Bush was always going to handily win Texas obv.

Nadar said there was no difference between Bush and Gore, and he aggressively campaigned in Floriday, right up till election day.  If you think Gore would have engaged in a full blown invasion of Iraq that lead to ethnic cleansing, you're dumb. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I used to roll my eyes when y'all would ubiquitously overuse the term "mental gymnastics" to describe this shit.  It's partially mental gymnastics, cognitive dissonance, binary thinking, parroting whatever soundbite they hear on Fox News (Laptop, China, CRT, et. al.), peppered with some straight fear-induced improv.  There needs to be a new term for it.  And this is a  great example of it.  

McCarthy knows what he's doing.  They're grabbing terrorists and fentanyl in the most tactical of ways in large numbers.  But he knows by saying it his way, he makes their base think, "Oh, that must mean people who are different think it's okay to flood our border now because Biden and Soros."  

There is some modicum of reasoning taking place, misguided though it is.  But i think to Mother's Day with my cousin and her husband.  Hardcore MAGA, borderline Qanon.  And I was talking about how the two shooter alerts at my daughter's school really fucked with her head.  And he immediately blurted out, "Well, you can thank George Floyd for that!"  And I looked in his eyes and just wondered how he got to that so quickly and confidently.  It wasn't just mental gymnastics and it wasn't just the kneejerk soundbite.  It was a cocktail of shit and I can't connect the dots on it, but there's something else going on with these people.  McCarthy knows it.  Abbott knows it.  And they're feeding and nurturing it properly.  It's just spoon-fed lies.  There's another level afoot.  It's like the activation cards of solitare in "Manchurian Candidate."  It is like a literal narcotic.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 12:12 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

We should hold him accountable for being able to predict the Cheney neo-con takeover of the Bush presidency and its ensuing disaster?

Take Cheney out if it. You didn’t have to know who Dubya would pick as his VP to know that he would be a disaster as President and that he’d be at war in Iraq when it came time for reelection. I knew that. Yes, I hold Nader accountable. Fuck that guy.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

It was a cocktail of shit and I can't connect the dots on it, but there's something else going on with these people.  McCarthy knows it.  Abbott knows it.  And they're feeding and nurturing it properly.  It's just spoon-fed lies.  There's another level afoot.  It's like the activation cards of solitare in "Manchurian Candidate."  It is like a literal narcotic.

Fascism and willful ignorance is a hell of a drug. People like him have been living in a mental war footing since Obama was elected.

On 5/15/2023 at 12:37 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

was it... Cheney? Still begs the question of whether Ralph should have foreseen the intent and ability to start the Iraq and Afghanistan wars before 911 even happened.  Anyway, don't blame me, Bush was always going to handily win Texas obv.

Don’t confuse the Afghan and Iraq wars. They had nothing to do with one another, other than that the latter was a huge impediment to the execution of the former. The Iraq war was always going to happen. Bush knew it. I knew it. Anybody paying attention should’ve known it. The Afghan war was necessary after 9/11. Iraq was fully a war of choice.

We can debate how much Bush should’ve been able to foresee 9/11. Clinton warned him upon leaving the White House that Islamic terrorism was the greatest threat facing America. Bush received a PDB titled “Bin Laden determined to strike in U.S.” He ignored both warnings. The CIA had information on Islamic terrorists in the country which, if they’d been willing to share it with the FBI, could’ve allowed the FBI to make arrests that would’ve prevented the attacks. Maybe if Bush had just told his national security adviser to speak with the various intelligence agencies after receiving the warning to see what they knew. Would she have been competent enough to piece it together? Would she have had the authorization to force action if she had been? I don’t know. All I know is that George W. Bush was exactly the wrong guy to have in the White House when facing that threat and thousands of Americans paid for it with their lives.

I don’t know if Al Gore would’ve prevented the attacks. That’s unknowable. But I know he would’ve taken the warnings seriously and he would’ve tried. He wouldn’t have been thinking about giving tax breaks to the very rich and about invading Iraq (which was discussed at Bush’s first principals meeting after he took office, long before even receiving the ominously titled PDB let alone the actual attacks).

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

State "abortion" legislation leads to measurably worse health outcomes and lower levels of readiness for women servicemembers. It would lead to fewer women seeking to enroll into the Space Force and deprive them of a deep pool of talent that can manage orbital dynamics, SIGINT, surveillance, etc etc, from a desk just as well as anyone else.

I do like seeing this from Biden, but this is also sound policy if your desired focus of optimization is readiness.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2023 at 7:03 AM, Gengs1 said:

missing?"

"Well, we're hopeful that we can find the informant," Comer responded, adding that the informant was in the "spy business" and therefore "they don't make a habit of being seen a lot

image.gif.236fee58559729f60136f76079f1705f.gif

On 5/17/2023 at 7:49 PM, cactusflinthead said:

We don't have a debt ceiling default brinkmanship thread.

Throwing it here.

Stick to your guns.

The markets are liking and pricing in that a deal gets done here shortly. Not sure what's going on politically, but the business folks seem to be clued in and like the direction.

The markets are liking and pricing in that a deal gets done here shortly. Not sure what's going on politically, but the business folks seem to be clued in and like the direction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/19/us/politics/debt-limit-gop-biden.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

The abrupt change in tone tells you McCarthy is facing a revolt from the hard right over any negotiated package.

Biden and team need to absolutely hammer this for what it is - a group of extremists well to the right of the nation making the House GOP unable to govern and holding the country hostage.

They also need to button up their invocation of the 14th amendment and House Democrats need to go into overdrive on a discharge petition. Those are the only two options at this point.
  • Hook 'Em 4