Bands That Got Better With Lineup Changes

Vic Mackey

Pantera - Phil Anselmo

Iron Maiden - Bruce Dickinson (although I love their debut album)

AC/DC - Bon Scott 

Rush - Neil Peart 

Doobie Brothers - Michael McDonald

I am on the fence on Black Sabbath with Ozzy vs Dio. Black Sabbath was never really about the vocalist for me. Heaven And Hell is one of my favorite albums from them. Better than Paranoid. Depends on my mood. But probably Paranoid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Fleetwood Mac though the Peter green group was also good. 

I sadly have to agree with this as much as I love Peter Greens work.

Deep Purple got better as well even though Hush is still my favorite song of theirs.

Thin Lizzy also improved with Gorham.

• Like 1

Iron Maiden way better with Bruce Dickinson

Black Sabbath way better with Dio

I’m not gonna say AC/DC was way better with Brian Johnson but Back in Black was definitely better than anything before it.

Gang fight me if you need to. My mind ain’t changing.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Iron Maiden way better with Bruce Dickinson

Black Sabbath way better with Dio

I’m not gonna say AC/DC was way better with Brian Johnson but Back in Black was definitely better than anything before it.

Gang fight me if you need to. My mind ain’t changing.

You are so correct about AC/DC

• Rage+1 1

Pink Floyd after Syd went catatonic and they added Gilmour.

Dream Theater with James LaBrie, though a lot of people hate LaBrie. The original singer on the first album was not really working.

Rush after canning John Rutsey and got some other guy on drums...duh.

Cheap Trick after the original singer quit and they found Robin Zander.

Trapeze, one of the most underrated bands in history, after two guys left after the first album and they went with a three piece of Glenn Fucking Hughes, Mel Galley and Dave Holland. They were still damn good after Hughes left for Deep Purple.

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Highway to Hell is better than Back in Black. 

Most of the Bon Scott era is better than Back in Black.

Powerage is AC/DC's pinnacle.  Highway to Hell is close behind it, but Mutt Lange's production kinda mutes/glosses shit.  Relatively speaking of course.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

and i know burton's a mythical hero perched alongside the greatest in the metal pantheon but i don't think metallica is the commercial success they are with him still there.  

Agreed. I fucking love the commercially successful Metallica stuff. It’s right up there in the pantheon of awesome with pumpkin spice lattes, vodka sodas, and that “what if the Ghostbusters were girls?” reboot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Haha. I love their debut album and Dianno had a more raw feel to his voice. A lot of classics on that album and some on their 2nd. Not sure how far they would have gotten had he stayed around, though.

Dickinson era is fine and there are some gems on this albums, but he brings an over-the-top corniness that detracts from the music. The first two albums have a sharper edge to them and a heavier emphasis on musicality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, G650 said:

Coming To America Bar GIF

I mean, taste is one thing, but Michael McDonald definitely brought a degree of... musical complexity that didn't exist in the Doobies before that. I don't agree with it, but I get it. 

13 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

Genesis - Phil Collins

Addition by subtraction, then?

13 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

Genesis - Phil Collins

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Dickinson era is fine and there are some gems on this albums, but he brings an over-the-top corniness that detracts from the music. The first two albums have a sharper edge to them and a heavier emphasis on musicality. 

Oh, no. No no no no no. Gonna be a big no from me. I mean, there's enough corn in the 1980s to fuel Frito Lay for a century, but that corn didn't come from Bruce. He's just a big singer, ya know?

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

He’ll have at least one backup.

Highway to hell is great. Just about as good as it gets. But Back in Black is a pure masterpiece.

From your lips to gods ears.

I mean, after teenage poontang of course, AC/DC was pretty much my raison d'etre in high school. The Bon era was great, there's no doubt, but Back in Black is front to back quality unlike any of the previous albums. One of rocks all time achievements.

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Give an example of a heavier emphasis on musicality than Hallowed be thy Name.

Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Iron Maiden, just to name a few examples. I’m talking about that trademark Maiden combo of a thundering bass line and harmonizing guitars, with melodic fills and memorable solos. 

I mean, if you’re looking for a Bruce era song that excels on musicality, Number of the Beast is the wrong album. There are some killer tunes on Peace of Mind and Powerslave

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

…that would have been even better with bon. 

And no Mutt Lange.

Back in Black is absolutely top shelf, but when you're judging it against Bon Scott era AC/DC, I'm sorry.  That shit is the pinnacle of hard rock.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It's not just Bon or not, AC/DC became a much better band over the decade outright. Highway to Hell was one of the first signs of them really making a step forward. But it only has 3 top shelf songs on it. Back in Black was their apotheosis. And on top of that many of their all time best songs came after BiB even.

• Hook 'Em 2