Bands That Got Better With Lineup Changes

Vic Mackey

42 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

AC/DC is the DLR / Sammy Hagar argument. Van Halen was better (IMNSHO) with Hagar, but VHI and VH2 are pure.

Eddie was better with Sammy, just because he continue to progress as a player and composer with time. But the band was not better.

AC/DC never changed who they were, no matter who the lead singer was. As Angus said: "People say we've released twelve albums that all sound the same... that's totally wrong. Outrageous! We've released thirteen albums that all sound the same."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

It's not just Bon or not, AC/DC became a much better band over the decade outright. Highway to Hell was one of the first signs of them really making a step forward. But it only has 3 top shelf songs on it. Back in Black was their apotheosis. And on top of that many of their all time best songs came after BiB even.

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-danny-d

I love all the following from HTH:  Highway to Hell, Girls Got Rhythm, Touch Too Much, Beating Around the Bush, Shot Down in Flames, If You Want Blood (You Got It),  and Night Prowler.

The only post BIB songs I'd put near those are Who Made Who, Thunderstruck, For Those About to Rock, and Money Talks.  Shit got real lean after BIB.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-danny-d

I love all the following from HTH:  Highway to Hell, Girls Got Rhythm, Touch Too Much, Beating Around the Bush, Shot Down in Flames, If You Want Blood (You Got It),  and Night Prowler.

The only post BIB songs I'd put near those are Who Made Who, Thunderstruck, For Those About to Rock, and Money Talks.  Shit got real lean after BIB.

Girls Got Rhythm? Lol. I mean ok.

Highway to Hell, Shot Down in Flames and If You Want Blood are all amazing songs. If You Want Blood may be my all time favorite AC/DC song. But the rest are average as fuck.

The second strongest part of AC/DCs career after Highway to Hell through Back in Black is 1990 to 1995. Razors Edge, Big Gun from the Last Action Hero soundtrack and Ballbreaker. Ballbreaker is one of their strongest albums, it has 5 solid cuts with Hard as a Rock, The Furor, Hail Caesar, Cover You in Oil amd Burnin Alive. Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice are solid as shit too.

I mean, I celebrate the whole catalog, so whatever AC/DC you like rock on. Over in the guitar prone thread I mentioned how my old man had a Les Paul in the closest as my Christmas present,  but had to sneak it back out and take it back for an SG because I wouldn't shut the fuck up about AC/DC and SGs. I grew up on all this shit and can assure the quality of AC/DC didn't stop after Highway to Hell and in many ways got a lot better.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I mean, taste is one thing, but Michael McDonald definitely brought a degree of... musical complexity that didn't exist in the Doobies before that. 

Michael McDonald sounded like he was singing underwater. Give me the pre-MM Doobies.

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

Girls Got Rhythm? Lol. I mean ok.

Highway to Hell, Shot Down in Flames and If You Want Blood are all amazing songs. If You Want Blood may be my all time favorite AC/DC song. But the rest are average as fuck.

The second strongest part of AC/DCs career after Highway to Hell through Back in Black is 1990 to 1995. Razors Edge, Big Gun from the Last Action Hero soundtrack and Ballbreaker. Ballbreaker is one of their strongest albums, it has 5 solid cuts with Hard as a Rock, The Furor, Hail Caesar, Cover You in Oil amd Burnin Alive. Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice are solid as shit too.

I mean, I celebrate the whole catalog, so whatever AC/DC you like rock on. Over in the guitar prone thread I mentioned how my old man had a Les Paul in the closest as my Christmas present,  but had to sneak it back out and take it back for an SG because I wouldn't shut the fuck up about AC/DC and SGs. I grew up on all this shit and can assure the quality of AC/DC didn't stop after Highway to Hell and in many ways got a lot better.

I definitely don't agree that AC/DC got better after Back in Black, but I love AC/DC in all forms as well, so fuck it.  Rock on.

I would also put If You Want Blood in my Top 5 AC/DC songs.  Riff Raff is #1 for me, but Blood is right there.  Up To My Neck In You, Whole Lotta Rosie, Ride On round out the rest.

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Yardbirds, when they brought in Bonham, Jones, and Plant.

1.  See post #13 by me.  

2.  The Yardbirds didn't add anybody.  It was "The New Yardbirds"

3.  We obviously cursed him, because as soon as I posted that, Jeff Beck got gravely ill.  And once you posted this, he died.  

This is why we can't have nice things.  He lived a helluva life though.  To that great guitar shop in the sky, Jeff:

• Hook 'Em 1

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-danny-devito.gif

FTATR is extremely underrated. It has some of their best songs on it. The title track, Spellbound, Evil Walks, COD, Night of the Long Knives are all great.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Zeppelin got it right from the start

Yeah, the Yardbirds/New Yardbirds were in flux.  But once "Led Zeppelin" was branded on those LP's...nothing was ever quite the same.  Summer of 1968 to Summer of 1980.  Almost a dozen years to the day.  Barely a moment of imperfection therein, musically speaking of course.  

A distant, distant second for rock bands would be the Black Keys.  Everybody else shuffled and adapted when it was forced upon them.  Not only was Led Zeppelin saliently connected and intertwined from the word "go", you can count the session musicians, samples, and extra studio effects on one hand.  Shit, Peter Grant barely had anything to do with the music itself.  48 man years, 108 songs, almost all of it in the top echelon of rock 'n roll forever and ever.  And personnel changes or additions or compromises never occurred to them.  

and though they lasted but three years, from start to finish...the super trio "Cream" was perfect from beginning to end.  No filler on that personnel.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/11/2023 at 3:03 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was gonna say the Dead once that bum Jerry Garcia croaked and they were able to add some real musicians like John Mayer but I figure that might offend some on here.  

I kid, I kid.

I almost said "The Grateful Dead once they replaced Jerry Garcia with John Mayer", but the best trolls are subtle and there isn't a soul alive that would believe I was serious. 

I almost said "The Grateful Dead once they replaced Jerry Garcia with John Mayer", but the best trolls are subtle and there isn't a soul alive that would believe I was serious. 

Or that you weren’t brain damaged. Mayer is a gem of a musician and I very much enjoy Dead & Co…but he ain’t Jerry and they aren’t the Grateful Dead.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Pantera - Phil Anselmo

Iron Maiden - Bruce Dickinson (although I love their debut album)

AC/DC - Bon Scott 

Rush - Neil Peart 

Doobie Brothers - Michael McDonald

I am on the fence on Black Sabbath with Ozzy vs Dio. Black Sabbath was never really about the vocalist for me. Heaven And Hell is one of my favorite albums from them. Better than Paranoid. Depends on my mood. But probably Paranoid. 

Didn't Bruce Dickinson also produce Blue Oyster Cult?

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Hate said:

Or that you weren’t brain damaged. Mayer is a gem of a musician and I very much enjoy Dead & Co…but he ain’t Jerry and they aren’t the Grateful Dead.

True 'dis.  But if you think about it, even in their 'heyday'.........the Grateful Dead had a number of lineup changes from 1965-1995.  Mostly due to deaths, but some also living personnel changes.  12 different members during that timeframe.  In just two more years, we'll have lived through more post-Dead time than otherwise.  

This speaks to the thread though that so many bands lineups, especially the great ones, were forcibly altered due to premature deaths.  I go back to the bedrock, the one that stands the test of time.  Led Zeppelin.  Absolutely brilliant right outta the gate and stayed that way for 12 years.  Obviously Bonham's death changed all that, but just that core four.  Nothing again will ever touch that.  

On 1/10/2023 at 11:06 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Dixie chicks w/ Natalie maines. 

i mean, according to someone I know. 

Poor Ms. Macy and her prairie dresses. She went back to teaching math.

On 1/11/2023 at 6:08 PM, tbone_ said:

Zeppelin got it right from the start

On 1/11/2023 at 6:30 PM, G650 said:

The Who also.

But he is right, definitely fewer bands started with the right combo.

U2 pretty much got it right. 

R.E.M. as well. (Mainly a fan of their ‘80s stuff, don’t care much for their work after that.)

On 1/10/2023 at 7:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Pantera - Phil Anselmo

Iron Maiden - Bruce Dickinson (although I love their debut album)

AC/DC - Bon Scott 

Rush - Neil Peart 

Doobie Brothers - Michael McDonald

I am on the fence on Black Sabbath with Ozzy vs Dio. Black Sabbath was never really about the vocalist for me. Heaven And Hell is one of my favorite albums from them. Better than Paranoid. Depends on my mood. But probably Paranoid. 

Ozzy >>> Dio. Dio was too into Dungeons and Dragons and shit like that. Black Sabbath should sing songs about cocaine 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2023 at 10:49 PM, tbone_ said:

Iron Maiden way better with Bruce Dickinson

Black Sabbath way better with Dio

I’m not gonna say AC/DC was way better with Brian Johnson but Back in Black was definitely better than anything before it.

Gang fight me if you need to. My mind ain’t changing.

I think what you meant to say I'd that ac/dc was best on Let there be Rock,  Powerage, Highway to Hell and Back in Black (which Bon wrote at least half of). Then they made the same album about 12 times. Zero originality after Bon.

Vince Vaughn GIF

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 2

Down Payment Blues

Kicked in the Teeth

Whole Lotta Rosie

Live Wire

Overdose

Up to My Neck in You

I've even heard a live version of Neck where Bon added another verse that's not on the album version:

I've been up to my neck in money

And Up to my neck in debt

I've been up to my neck in wild wild women

That I'm trying to forget. 

I really like Brian and if there was no Bon he'd rank pretty high on my list. But he doesn't compare to Bon when it comes to writing, singing, or especially as a frontman

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Earl Haffler said:

Didn't Bruce Dickinson also produce Blue Oyster Cult?

The only thing more inbred than the people of the British isles are the names of the people on the British isles.

I mean, if I mention the drummer, Roger Taylor? You know, that guy in that English band that got big in the 1970s-1980s, had kind of a rebirth in the early 90s but faded away after? There's at least two bands that could be: Queen or Duran Duran.

On that note: "Duran Duran after Warren Cucurrulo joined."

... said nobody ever

That said, he contributed Duran Duran's biggest two hits of the 90s ("Come Undone" and "Out of my Mind"), easily among DD's top 10 of all time (or better). But I don't think anyone will mistake the wedding album for Rio or anything.