Bands That Got Better With Lineup Changes

Vic Mackey

40 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Horrible take FFS. Van Halen stopped being Van Halen when DLR left.

This is complete nonsense. They were different bands, to be sure, but without DLR's influence, Van Halen was more Van Halen - Eddie and Alex - without DLR.

Of course, that's what made it a lesser band. Say what you will about his character, DLR is what made VH a massive popular legend and not merely that band all the guitarists listen to but none of the chicks.

VH is basically Rush without DLR. Which is still incredibly amazingly good, but less than what they were with him.

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

VH was better musically with Sammy because he could play guitar, allowing Ed to do more keys. 

Only on that first tour. Never again after, except when Sammy did his solo spot.

16 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Wham

You misspelled it. It's "Wham!" with an exclamation point.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Duran Duran should have just been called a lot of Taylors plus a LeBon

Also I think Warren did Ordinary World? Maybe that was still Taylor, I'm not sure

Yes. I think he did. Three songs.

But we can't just call them 3 Taylors plus a Lebon, since Rhodes did most of the writing. Which is why Andy Taylor kept on getting kicked out...

Just now, tbone_ said:

Andy Taylor underrated as a guitarist imo

As a guitarist? No. As a contributor? Yes. Duran Duran doesn't have that sound or that international popularity without his catchy riffs and hard rock influence. His return made Astronaut the great album it is. Cucurrulo was better at both, but he was recording and playing with them for two albums before they allowed him to write, and then shit got weird; he doesn't have the hard rock/metal background that Andy had.

Anyway.

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Whatever. I always dug his style.

I mean, same, totally. But he's ... ok, put it this way. Had a friend at UT back in the day tell me that the problem with Reb Beach is that he graduated from Berklee; the idea being that if you're any good, you'd be snapped up into a band well before graduation.

Andy Taylor doesn't get admitted to Berklee in the first place.

Howard Jones in killswitch engage.  They were significantly better with him on vocals. 

I'm probably in the minority but I love John Bush era Anthrax. 

I'll just say that iron maiden and ACDC were great both with the new singers but different. Like marrying a second wife after the first passes away and the relationship was strong prior. You don't love the new wife more, you just love them different  (Loosly using the Leo Getz analogy).

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

a dogshit band with a dogshit lead singer.  When they are all dead and forgotten Rock will be better.

to be fair, Krieger and Manzarek were exceptional musicians (and solid songwriters).  And the Doors' sound was appropriate and innovative for their time and locale.  I tried to "make the Doors happen" into college but that shit puttered out in the 70's, not the 90's.  All but just a small handful of songs do not hold up today, nor for the last 50 years.  But for a band that lasted really only 6-7 years and was mediocre to above average on a good day, that they still somehow remain in our conversations about rock (good, bad, or indifferent) is fucking beyond me.  

Anyway, I think we've pretty much exhausted, and agreed upon, those bands that got better with changes.  The list of those that got worse though, that could fill an entire forum.  

On 1/10/2023 at 7:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Iron Maiden - Bruce Dickinson (although I love their debut album)

My first concert was Scorpions opening for Iron Maiden with Di’Anno. Beaumont civic center. ‘80 I think. A couple of songs in Klaus took a bottle to the head from the balcony and the place went nuts. Top 5 show ever 

Also ‘It’s a Long Way to the Top’ is not only the best AC/DC song but perhaps the greatest song ever 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/18/2023 at 6:40 AM, mr. sunshine said:

My first concert was Scorpions opening for Iron Maiden with Di’Anno. Beaumont civic center. ‘80 I think. A couple of songs in Klaus took a bottle to the head from the balcony and the place went nuts. Top 5 show ever 

Also ‘It’s a Long Way to the Top’ is not only the best AC/DC song but perhaps the greatest song ever 

Scorpions! Rarebell says “got rack tom”? Those fuckers are cannons