Major FAA disruption—all U.S. departures on hold

Pancho

9,000 flights delayed so far.

Looking at the AUS departures board online, about 70% of flights are delayed and I'm sure the ones that aren't delayed may eventually be delayed...

More than 9,000 flights have been delayed so far

As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, at least 9,207 flights within, into or from the US have been delayed and 1,309 were canceled, according to the flight-tracking site FlightAware.

5 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

I got caught in it.  Flight cancelled.  Thankfully was able to book on another airline with a connection.  Got on a delayed flight and with a connection, should get home at same time, good lord willing.

I boarded my flight at 0530 this morning.  At 0555, the door of the plane was closed and the pilot announced we were fucked and everyone was grounded.

Luckily, they let us deplane about 5-10 min later.

After an hour, we bailed and I'll let our travel dept fix it.  We'll make the trip next Wednesday...

As a former IT guy turned part 121 guy, this is surprisingly unsurprising

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/software-blamed-faa-outage-three-decades-old-years-upgrade-official-sa-rcna65562

Corrupt software introduced by contractors took down FAA system, officials say
This system, installed in 1993, runs the Notice to Air Missions system, or NOTAM, which sends pilots vital information they need to fly.

32 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

As a former IT guy turned part 121 guy, this is surprisingly unsurprising

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/software-blamed-faa-outage-three-decades-old-years-upgrade-official-sa-rcna65562

That's scapegoating by the FAA to blame it on a contractor or a singular contract. Systems don't get that brittle on their own, and ultimately, it's the FAA's job to keep the lights on - they made the choice to hire whoever they're scapegoating

If one guy can bring it all down, it's not that guy's fault