2024 QB Trey Owens

texifornia

After Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian waited until late June for Arch Manning to join UT’s 2023 class, the Longhorns worked to get their 2024 quarterback committed much earlier in the cycle. Their efforts were rewarded on Wednesday when Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair’s Trey Owens committed to Texas.

[Get Inside Texas Plus until the start of the 2023 season for $29.99!]

The 6-foot-4, 195-pound On3 Consensus three-star committed to Texas over offers from Baylor, Texas Tech, Washington State, and Houston. Owens was offered by Texas in November. From that point, it was all burnt orange.

“I feel like the environment is like nowhere else, and the fact that they are moving to the SEC plays a big factor as well,” Owens told Inside Texas. “They checked all the boxes for me and there was no reason for me to wait. ”

Owens had a great 2022. After throwing for 478 yards and five touchdowns in limited action as a sophomore, Owens became one of the state’s top passers during his junior season. He was 179-for-266 for 3,058 yards and 34 touchdowns with six interceptions as part of his District 17-6A offensive MVP campaign. Owens credits growing more comfortable in the pocket as the main reason for his success, and enjoys seeing how that would translate in the Texas offense.

Owens told Inside Texas in November about how much Texas quarterbacks coach AJ Milwee has been involved in his recruitment, attending games and practices at Cy-Fair to build their relationship.

“I talk to Coach AJ Milwee a lot,” Owens said. “I send him my film every week, and he tells me what I can improve on. He said he loves the improvement. When I go up there, he tells me what he likes about me and where I can improve.”

Owens has athletic genes, with both parents playing sports at Stephen F. Austin. His dad played offensive line and his mother is in the SFA Hall of Fame for volleyball.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

We’ve been blessed with 3-5 star qb in a row, is this guy underrated?

Maalik ended up a 4 star, to be fair. We need a guy this cycle who won't transfer the first year he has to sit on the bench behind Arch (or Maalik, but probably Arch), so we went with a developmental QB who's a lifelong UT fan.

• Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Pretty much (Sayin quit being interested in us the moment Arch committed), or they'd come and transfer as soon as they lost the QB competition to Arch.

So he’s this generations Matt Nordgren?

Edited by Lhorn