Kids' Summer Camps?

Saint Austin

I wasn't which board to post this in, but the wife is interested in sending our now-third grade boy to a summer camp in-state for a week or so at some point over the summer. Anyone have any thoughts recs? I did Boy Scout summer camps as a kid, but no other kinds, so I have no idea which places are preferred or should be avoided. 

One of my kids goes to Pine Cove and loves it.  It’s very popular among his peers at school and quite a few other families we know.  It’s a Christian deal and we aren’t Christian but the boy has a good time anyway and always comes home with new friends. We chalk the Bible study up as a lesson in having an open mind and being willing to learn about others beliefs.  From what I gather they aren’t too obnoxious about it.  Other than that it’s your typical summer camp with lots of lake swimming and all kinds of outdoor activities.  

One campus near Tyler and another near Columbus.

https://www.pinecove.com/summer-camps/overnight-youth-camps/

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

I wasn't which board to post this in, but the wife is interested in sending our now-third grade boy to a summer camp in-state for a week or so at some point over the summer. Anyone have any thoughts recs? I did Boy Scout summer camps as a kid, but no other kinds, so I have no idea which places are preferred or should be avoided. 

I grew up going here - https://camphuawni.com/

I think went 9 summers as a camper and then another 4 as a counselor and I send all 3 of my kids there now too.  It's not as fancy as some of the other camps around but is good, clean fun out in the piney woods.  No A/C in the cabins, no electronics in the cabin, etc.  It's quite a bit different now than when I went there, but all 3 of my kids love it and will be going again this summer.  I'm personal friends with the family that started it and was always in the same cabin with the grandson who now runs it, so let me know if you have questions.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

One of my kids goes to Pine Cove and loves it.  It’s very popular among his peers at school and quite a few other families we know.  It’s a Christian deal and we aren’t Christian but the boy has a good time anyway and always comes home with new friends. We chalk the Bible study up as a lesson in having an open mind and being willing to learn about others beliefs.  From what I gather they aren’t too obnoxious about it.  Other than that it’s your typical summer camp with lots of lake swimming and all kinds of outdoor activities.  

That's mighty white of you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Austin said:

Thanks, all, for the recap and Meatballs gif… Any feedback on Camp La Junta or Camp Longhorn? Apparently some of those eben have waitlists?

I was a CLH kid. Loved it. I've heard that its almost impossible to get into unless both parents are alums. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Your Mom said:

My kids have been going to Pine Cove for years now.  They love it.  They've both made such good friends that they coordinate their weeks so each group can stay together in the same cabin.  They even talk about being counselors when older.  Heard similar stories about Sky Ranch.

I did Mo Ranch a lot as a kid as well as Pioneer Farms (if it's even still around)

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Thanks, all, for the recap and Meatballs gif… Any feedback on Camp La Junta or Camp Longhorn? Apparently some of those eben have waitlists?

La Junta is super nice and I would definitely recommend.   I worked there for 2 summers about 15 years ago.  Waiting list rumors have existed since back when I worked there so likely tru.  There are like 10 camps within a 30 mile radius of Kerrville so a lot of options in that area as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I went to Stewart and really enjoyed it.  Not sure how it is today.  My nephew went to La Junta from k-8 and loved it.  As mentioned above, if you go to one of the shows and talk with the owner and introduce your son, that normally takes care of any waitlist issues you might have.

• Hook 'Em 1